• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey Community Thread: The Ongoing Adventures of Fight and Heal

Nachos

PersonaQ's OST turned out great so all's well that ends well!
It definitely did, but it's more just kind of a "what if?" wish. Like, what if he made something that sounded like Etrian crossed with Streets of Rage crossed with Persona?

Althane

So, I'm getting EO:U today (delivered, but I gotta pick it up from the office). I'm going to be out of town for the weekend, but I'll have my DS. Probably won't make it past the first Stratum (I'll be driving for the most part), but still, sounds like I wanna go with Classic mode (Story mode has boring party setup?). Any tips or tricks? Probably was going to go with a fairly standard build, L/P front, with M/G/R in back. Don't actually recall the classes, so I THINK I should have a Gunner or Runemaster. If not, their game equivalent (Arablest and Hexer?).

Into the verdant unknown again. I'm so friggin' pumped.

Althane

Here's the list of classes you'll be able to choose from:

• Alchemist
  • Dark Hunter
  • Landsknecht
  • Survivalist
  • Troubadour (Bard)
  • Medic
  • Ronin
  • Hexer
  • Protector

I swear to god you've installed a database into your brain with all the EO knowledge bombs you drop.

Landsknecht / Protector front line
Medic / Hexer / Alchemist back line

Sounds like it'll be a fun run. Kinda fragile back line, but I'll live.

Nachos

If I'd have to suggest something, I'd recommend not rolling with a Landsknecht unless you build your entire party around them. They've always been a little underwhelming outside of EO4, so even though they can still shine, you need to put in more work to make it happen. Survivalists also got really nerfed from being the monstrous offensive class they were in EO1, but they're still great in their intended support role.

Ronins and Dark Hunters are still great physical attack classes, though, especially if you pair up a Hunter with a Hexer.

Shiina

Ronins and Dark Hunters are still great physical attack classes, though, especially if you pair up a Hunter with a Hexer.

I did that and it was the worst. They were both vying for the same ailment slot so neither of them was really being effective. When I had them both trying to apply binds so Ecstasy would finally do some damage it just felt like a huge waste of TP because it was really difficult to get more than one bind on an enemy for any meaningful amount of time. I could have gone for Viper but since I had a Medic that could apply poison just as effectively I just ended up getting a second Ronin for double Flying Swallow and more elemental damage. Then I had my Hexer apply fear and suicide word and my Medic hurl poison at it whenever fear was on 'cooldown'.

If you do go for a DH and Hexer on the same team I suggest you skill the Hexer for debuffs instead of ailments.

Nachos

I did that and it was the worst. They were both vying for the same ailment slot so neither of them was really being effective. When I had them both trying to apply binds so Ecstasy would finally do some damage it just felt like a huge waste of TP because it was really difficult to get more than one bind on an enemy for any meaningful amount of time. I could have gone for Viper but since I had a Medic that could apply poison just as effectively I just ended up getting a second Ronin for double Flying Swallow and more elemental damage. Then I had my Hexer apply fear and suicide word and my Medic hurl poison at it whenever fear was on 'cooldown'.

If you do go for a DH and Hexer on the same team I suggest you skill the Hexer for debuffs instead of ailments.

Really? That wasn't my experience at all. I always opened with both trying to land the same bind type on an enemy, which almost always worked from one of them. Then I had my hunter use Ecstasy while my Hexer worked towards adding more binds and casting Relapse Curse to extend their duration. Even without binds, Ecstasy still does great damage by itself, and with all three binds applied, it's ridiculous.

Plus, ailments in general are just great against any kind of enemy. Stoning Curse especially is really good at making regular enemies drop like flies once you have the TP to use it consistently. But then again, I built my hunter exclusively to make good on binds, so my Hexer never had any competition for the single regular ailment slot.

It was ok, but not that outstanding. I just want new Koshiro music, not arranges of old tracks.

The thing I noticed about PQ's OST for me was the tracks were nice in game but not something I would listen to outside barring maybe 5 songs. I was hoping for something I would enjoy enough to have on my phone and listen to often.

But I need the Etrian Untold 2 announcement trailer song. Does anyone know if it is on the bonus disc?

omlet

I'm with Nachos. I had great success in EO2 and EOU1 with a Hexer+Dark Hunter team with the DH going full binds and bait, no ailments, and the Hexer doing a mixture of ailments and binds. I couldn't beat Ygg Core on Expert with that team in EOU but I did beat Ur Child in EO2 with it (Force skills + Revenge make those parties with the same class composition quite different between games). Full bind and bait DH can do great damage with a Hexer helping to land binds early and then debuff defense and extending bind duration for the Ecstasy pain.

Hexers are MVP in EO games except on a few boss fights.

Nachos

I couldn't beat Ygg Core on Expert with that team in EOU but I did beat Ur Child in EO2 with it (Force skills + Revenge make those parties with the same class composition quite different between games).
Yeah, I had the same problem with the core just because the battle's such a war of attrition. I had to retire my Hunter into a Ronin for Swallow Strike and just turn my Hexer into a Wolf Pack battery, but it was smooth sailing everywhere else.

But I need the Etrian Untold 2 announcement trailer song. Does anyone know if it is on the bonus disc?
Pretty sure it's only on the official soundtrack, but that comes with the full and instrumental versions.

np, it's an awesome song isn't it :D
I wouldn't mind at all if Ito started singing all of the opening songs if all of the flagship games are going to get animated intros. She makes a good team with Koshiro.

Hexers are always amazing, I haven't tried the Dark Hunter + Hexer combo, might do so the next time I play Untold.

np, it's an awesome song isn't it :D

YES. I think I like it more than the soul hackers opening song :eek:

Yeah, I had the same problem with the core just because the battle's such a war of attrition. I had to retire my Hunter into a Ronin for Swallow Strike and just turn my Hexer into a Wolf Pack battery, but it was smooth sailing everywhere else.

Pretty sure it's only on the official soundtrack, but that comes with the full and instrumental versions.

I wouldn't mind at all if Ito started singing all of the opening songs if all of the flagship games are going to get animated intros. She makes a good team with Koshiro.

Hmm. Probably going to get that then. Are any of the Etrian soundtracks on iTunes or Amazon JP digitally? I know there's just 1 persona compilation album.

I've finally had some time to dive into Mystery Dungeon, I know there's the OT but I like this thread more.

God damn this game is stressful at times, I'm in the final story dungeon and aside of the AI being stupid as fuck at times(please get into the fucking room instead of just standing there omg) I like the game.

My current team = Protector, Dancer, Gunner, Hexer.

I wanted to use a Princess instead of a Protector, but my team is super squishy and I need that Provoke + Cover.

I just go inside a room, my Gunner starts to shoot shit I haven't even seen(usually twice and criting), my Protector goes full PROVOKE + COVER and becomes an unstoppable wall, my Hexer casts Poison + Fear on the whole room, and my Dancer heals + attacks twice + Confuses everything.

It works pretty well so far, Poison and Fear are soooo useful.

Regarding the Hexer, is Revenge worth it? I’ve been using Power Word instead.

Also are the passive skills like dealing more damage worth maxing or is it like EO4?

I left without paying that Red Lions girl and had no idea THAT would happen, I lost my best sword.

Althane

So, the anime cutscenes lured me in, so I went ahead and started story mode. I'm going with Picnic Mode first, and just blaze through the story, before starting the real game on Normal. I know the story isn't probably much, but... cutscenes and mysteries!

The party is pretty boring though. I mean, at least I've got the ability to apply pretty much every ailment, but L(essentially)/P/M A/G is... not an exciting thing.

I actually have the G sitting back and doing Cover Fire a lot of the time, which keeps my front line healed. Reminds me of the Royalty (Prince/Princess, I think) class in the Sunken City.

I love the sense of mystery and adventure though. Time to rip through Stratum 2!

(Picnic is such a cheap way to play the game, but... I don't like the party. I like the characters, but not the party. :( )

I don't get the point of blazing through Picnic mode to then play the "best" mode or whatever, just skip Story mode.

I'm annoyed they don't use the interesting classes and give us the most vanilla party ever, give me a freaking Hexer!

omlet

Besides getting the highlander and gunner into your classic mode party, why not just play classic mode first on the right difficulty (expert) then blaze through story mode after that if the party is boring you? You're gonna ruin one of the best parts in the whole EO series later on by playing your first time through on easy mode :( (the surprise boss fight in last main stratum).

Zweizer

Banned
You can't modify your party in Story mode (thus, are forced to use the unleveled Story mode characters), so I have trouble seeing how you'd be able to blast through it.

But yeah, you still should play Classic mode first on Expert.

omlet

You can't modify your party in Story mode (thus, are forced to use the unleveled Story mode characters), so I have trouble seeing how you'd be able to blast through it.

But yeah, you still should play Classic mode first on Expert.

If you're NG+ing story mode you most definitely will blaze through it on easy mode because you'll have top-end gear and high power grimoires. That's how I did story mode.

Zweizer

Banned
If you're NG+ing story mode you most definitely will blaze through it on easy mode because you'll have top-end gear and high power grimoires. That's how I did story mode.

Oh yeah, that's right. These definitely should help speeding up through Story mode a lot.

Nachos

Hmm. Probably going to get that then. Are any of the Etrian soundtracks on iTunes or Amazon JP digitally? I know there's just 1 persona compilation album.
I have no idea about iTunes, but at least when I just checked Amazon JP, it seemed like they only had the physical soundtrack. Granted, I don't speak Japanese, so I wasn't able to check very well.

You should be able to reclass your characters at lvl30 I think.
The only problem is that they'll have the stats of their original classes, so the customization's a little hampered.

Highlander and Gunner are pretty sweet classes.

Plus, that ultimate katana.
Ain't worth it.

Althane

Wait, I can play through the game, then use the save data to NG+ Story mode?

I did not know this. Now, do I delete my ~5-6 hours of progress, and restart on Real mode?

Damn. Tempting.

omlet

Wait, I can play through the game, then use the save data to NG+ Story mode?

I did not know this. Now, do I delete my ~5-6 hours of progress, and restart on Real mode?

Damn. Tempting.

Man, this seems to happen to everyone no matter how many times I explain it lol (not saying that as in "you should have read this entire thread" I just mean it comes up a lot).

But yeah! Everything carries over with new game plus if you want it to. Your party and guild members, inventory, cash, grimoires, etc. There is literally zero good reason to play story mode first if you are not liking the characters or the forced party. Do classic/expert first for the better experience, then if you want to cheese through story mode to see the minimal amount of new content, you can do that with NG+ and you bring over everything.

NOTE: In story mode your classic mode party members will still be there but you can't put them in your party. If you NG+ from story to classic mode then you can use the story mode party members mixed in with classic mode characters. My Classic/Expert mode Ygg Core kill was my original team's Paladin + Medic along with Highlander, Ricky, and Arthur and my classic mode Dark Hunter-senpai more or less power leveled the story mode party damage dealers when I !retired them in classic mode for stat bonuses.

In case anyone else checking the thread is curious, yes! You can NG+ between game modes in EO Untold! And your party carries over (if you want)! I should put it in the OP except people would probably not read it anyway D:

Althane

Man, this seems to happen to everyone no matter how many times I explain it lol (not saying that as in "you should have read this entire thread" I just mean it comes up a lot).

But yeah! Everything carries over with new game plus if you want it to. Your party and guild members, inventory, cash, grimoires, etc. There is literally zero good reason to play story mode first if you are not liking the characters or the forced party. Do classic/expert first for the better experience, then if you want to cheese through story mode to see the minimal amount of new content, you can do that with NG+ and you bring over everything.

NOTE: In story mode your classic mode party members will still be there but you can't put them in your party. If you NG+ from story to classic mode then you can use the story mode party members mixed in with classic mode characters. My Classic/Expert mode Ygg Core kill was my original team's Paladin + Medic along with Highlander, Ricky, and Arthur and my classic mode Dark Hunter-senpai more or less power leveled the story mode party damage dealers when I !retired them in classic mode for stat bonuses.

In case anyone else checking the thread is curious, yes! You can NG+ between game modes in EO Untold! And your party carries over (if you want)! I should put it in the OP except people would probably not read it anyway D:

Well, off to start Classic mode on normal!

I would say please put that in an FAQ for the OP. Very useful information!

omlet

Well, off to start Classic mode on normal!

I would say please put that in an FAQ for the OP. Very useful information!

I added a section in the FAQ portion of the OP. I don't have my EOU cart with me right now so if anyone could double check my facts I'd appreciate it.

It wasn't in the OP originally because for such a simple question the answer is rather complicated and we were hurting for space when creating the OP.

Did the overall improvements weaken stuff that much? Because normal EO1 was pretty brutal, from what I remember.

Well, I think expert mode is about what original EO1 was like in terms of difficulty and battle math (damage, etc.). Skill points matter and paying attention to the flow of battle is critical even for trash encounters. Bosses and FOEs are dangerous and victory is sweet. Never a dull moment on Expert mode. Normal mode is easy and picnic is a snooze. I never got past the first stratum in OG EO1 so if anyone can correct me on technicalities feel free. Normal mode of EOU feels like normal mode of EO4, that is it's not boring but it's also not very challenging at all aside from some boss fights (for anyone who is not brand new to EO games).

Some skill adjustments and the change to have some enemies appear in 2-row formation with skills now targeting rows or columns instead of just all enemies may mean certain things are more or less powerful or uesless vs original EO1.

Nachos

Did the overall improvements weaken stuff that much? Because normal EO1 was pretty brutal, from what I remember.
For difficulty, I'd say:
EO1 played straight >> Untold Expert > EO1 with Defender and Immunize > Untold Normal >> Untold Picnic

Untold nerfed the defense skills, and I felt the enemy encounters were generally balanced better, even if not all of the classes were.

God I wish you guys would translate and release the full artbooks, I own them and I wish I could read all the Himukai bits. I'm actually super impressed by the Untold 1+2 one.

but yeah nice sample.

I think that's up to Udon as they have been doing it for the last few Persona releases and they even did DeSu 1. I gave up waiting and bought the SMTIV artbook in Japanese. Will prob do it with EOU 1+2 :( as well.

Althane

Finished the first floor on Expert last night. Yeah, it's definitely harder. The encounter with the 3 moles with the boot wiped me. I'm more around level 4-5 now, so I should be able to take it on.

Very little auto-battling is possible, have to be judicious in the use of skills and targeting.

Overall, yup, it's EO1 all over again.

Finished the first floor on Expert last night. Yeah, it's definitely harder. The encounter with the 3 moles with the boot wiped me. I'm more around level 4-5 now, so I should be able to take it on.

Very little auto-battling is possible, have to be judicious in the use of skills and targeting.

Overall, yup, it's EO1 all over again.

:D

omlet

It was mentioned in the EMD thread, but for anyone not following that, remember May 5 is the last day to get the DLC quests for Etrian Mystery Dungeon for free!

Shiina

It was mentioned in the EMD thread, but for anyone not following that, remember May 5 is the last day to get the DLC quests for Etrian Mystery Dungeon for free!

Are they worth getting? I've heard they make exploring dungeons more annoying.

omlet

Are they worth getting? I've heard they make exploring dungeons more annoying.

The two "find the NPC" quests are pretty insignificant. No harm in getting them and no harm in skipping them.

The Red Pooka quest is a repeatable quest that gives 300 exp each time you finish it. It makes Red Pookas spawn in the dungeons. These enemies are pretty much harmless except if you don't kill them fast enough they might summon enemies (or just run away). Killing them yields a White Potion which is an insta-level-up potion. Your main party won't really need these but they're pretty awesome for catching up an alt party in levels or for situations where you're like "I really need 1 more skill point to give me something for this boss fight" or something.

The Gold Guardian quest is a repeatable quest that gives 1000 gold each time you finish it. It makes Golden Guardians spawn in the dungeons. These enemies are deceptively dangerous. If you do not kill them quickly enough after attacking them they will explode dealing 50% HP damage to anyone near them. What's worse is they can do a debuff that effectively nullifies the target's physical defense. Your Protector will die super fast to normal trash enemies if they get hit by this debuff. This debuff lasts until you change floors. If you kill these things they drop a lot of money, like 4-6 bags of around 300 gold each.

Shiina

Do they also spawn if you didn't accept the quests?

Mm alright, I guess there's no reason not to download them then.

ohlawd

EO3 is hereeeeeeeeeeeeee

Can't wait to dig into this.

How am I going to dig into this.

oh you were just like me when I got EO3 last year

it reminds me of my two page adventure. kinda spoilery but the first couple posts aren't that bad. just class and party talk. might be better to follow when you're far enough in the story
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=515287&page=45
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=515287&page=46
from posts 4444-4528

I remember how much I was raging against the true end boss. fun times

Top Bottom