• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey Community Thread: The Ongoing Adventures of Fight and Heal

tuffy

The EOU2 DLC does bug me, though. Because it's crap like that that makes the series look bad when it's a solid series. And is it ultimately even worth it? My friend was telling me that EOU2 sold worse than EOU (which sold worse than EO4) in Japan. Doesn't seem like pandering is working in their favor, if you ask me.
Apparently the paid DLC locked off a significant chunk of mappable space on some floors. We know EOU2 was a sales dud in the otherwise consistent EO series, so I've speculated that backlash from that might be a reason.

I'm hopeful EO5 and a hypothetical EOU3 will get the series back on track.

I like Himukai's art not just because he draws cute, bright coloured characters. But also because he draws horrible, freakish abominations in that same bright style. I love the contrast.

Read that thread though and uh... wow. Welp, guess some people are missing out on EO based on strawman arguments they made up for themselves.

The EOU2 DLC does bug me, though. Because it's crap like that that makes the series look bad when it's a solid series. And is it ultimately even worth it? My friend was telling me that EOU2 sold worse than EOU (which sold worse than EO4) in Japan. Doesn't seem like pandering is working in their favor, if you ask me.

Untold wasn't that great compared to the mainline games and Untold 2 came out the same week as some heavy hitters(or so I recall), there was also the DLC controversy.

And you're right, Himukai does great enemies, I also love his background art.

omlet

Ban Himukai from GAF.

EDIT: To make this less of a quip, though: do you think that Etrian's art style is what alienates a lot of potential players? I love his work (and especially his use of color), but I'm less enamored with some of his depictions in some cases. But the thing is, Himukai's clearly the one pushing for those things, which you can tell by looking at his artwork he's done outside of Atlus.

It was those old EO1 character comics that got me interested in the series in the first place. I really like the art style, dancers at all. The EOU2 DLC seems really unnecessary to me and I doubt I'll buy it but it doesn't offend me.

What did I miss?

A troll thread.

Okay, you can still hang out with us.

Yay.

Music is still the main reason for me.

Untold wasn't that great compared to the mainline games and Untold 2 came out the same week as some heavy hitters(or so I recall), there was also the DLC controversy.

And you're right, Himukai does great enemies, I also love his background art.

Well having a quick look at what the game sales were at the time of release (27/11/14), Pokemon ORAS was still at the top selling tons and Phantasy Star Nova came out.

ohlawd

dang he got junior'd

gonna miss his threads where everyone gets their jimmies rustled at the truth. man, he shoulda just laid off EO and targeted something else worth targeting like those trash Vita games

dang he got junior'd

gonna miss his threads where everyone gets their jimmies rustled at the truth. man, he shoulda just laid off EO and targeted something else worth targeting like those trash Vita games

The Vita should just be banned in Vita.

TL: Vita means Vita

dang he got junior'd

He targeted the wrong series, you never talk shit about EO.

Unless it's story mode related.

tuffy

Maybe one day there will be an Etrian Odyssey game on the Vita.
How would that even work? A map on one side of the screen and the maze on the other? Some sort of map overlay? And you'd have to draw the map with your finger? It'd be really weird.

FluxWaveZ

Haha, expected response. But I honestly think it's possible. EMD could be indicative of future prospects for the series, and could eventually lead to a spin-off which would fit for the Vita. Much like Persona Q being the first Persona game on a Nintendo platform because of what it is.

How would that even work? A map on one side of the screen and the maze on the other? Some sort of map overlay? And you'd have to draw the map with your finger? It'd be really weird.

Should have been more specific: a game which uses the "Etrian Odyssey" brand. Obviously, the dual screen nature of the series would make a traditional EO game on the Vita cumbersome.

Zweizer

Banned
Haha, expected response. But I honestly think it's possible. EMD could be indicative of future prospects for the series, and could eventually lead to a spin-off which would fit for the Vita. Much like Persona Q being the first Persona game on a Nintendo platform because of what it is.

Should have been more specific: a game which uses the "Etrian Odyssey" brand. Obviously, the dual screen nature of the series would make a traditional EO game on the Vita cumbersome.

Well, that could work I suppose, though I have no idea what kind of game Atlus would consider worth exploring, at least financially, that has to be done on Vita and not 3DS.

PK Gaming

Narmer. Is. DOWN.

Goddamn fish. Catching it was a pain by itself, but then having that joker run away half way through the fight? Madness. Navigating through those other FOEs was pure agony; I have never felt so blue-balled in my entire life.

Killing it was so, so satisfying.

ohlawd

lol that second major boss update has the potential to be glorious :3

As a member of the human race, I hope not.

Poll: Should I change my avatar to the Chloe pic everyone was bitching about?
Half Joking

turn that half joking to full joking cuz I don't wanna see you lose your avatar privileges or get banned. don't get me twisted tho. I still don't like you.
half joking

Zweizer

Banned
Poll: Should I change my avatar to the Chloe pic everyone was bitching about?
Half Joking

Mauricio without a Dancer avatar is not Mauricio!

Narmer. Is. DOWN.

Goddamn fish. Catching it was a pain by itself, but then having that joker run away half way through the fight? Madness. Navigating through those other FOEs was pure agony; I have never felt so blue-balled in my entire life.

Killing it was so, so satisfying.

Congrats! I know that feeling. Narmer was a real pain.

Struggling to finish EOU story mode, I miss classic mode :(. EOIV was my first EO game and the FOE music is a huge downgrade from IV's. Does story mode get any better? I hate the grimiore system and I want my own classes >.<. EOIV is a legit 10/10 to me, but Untold has been a letdown so far.

Zweizer

Banned
Struggling to finish EOU story mode, I miss classic mode :(. EOIV was my first EO game and the FOE music is a huge downgrade from IV's. Does story mode get any better? I hate the grimiore system and I want my own classes >.<. EOIV is a legit 10/10 to me, but Untold has been a letdown so far.

Where are you currently in Story Mode? I'd advise to at least finish it if you're near the end so that you can be done with it. The Grimoire system is present in both modes, so there's no helping that.

(But you should have started with Classic mode first. It seriously has the best story of the series.)

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!

The first untold the "Grim" system wasnt that useful and honestly pretty badly implemented. Where the second one they really made it a lot better. Same with the party make up in the first EOU just felt off. As it didnt jive well together. EOU2 fixes that also.

Also preferred the characters in the second game for the most part.

The thread was funny, but it's disappointing to see so many people say they avoid the series because of that.

At least the OP got junior'd.

People who worry about stuff like that were never going to buy the game anyways. lol

Where are you currently in Story Mode? I'd advise to at least finish it if you're near the end so that you can be done with it. The Grimoire system is present in both modes, so there's no helping that.

(But you should have started with Classic mode first. It seriously has the best story of the series.)

3rd stratum, but I'm idiot for not doing classic first >.<

I wonder what the lifetime sales of EOU2 is now. Since its opening week was pretty low.

How much actually matters if EOU2 sold less than the rest of the series? They need to NOT release the game the same week other important games come out and please drop all the DLC.

If they lower the budget for EOU3.....................

Parakeetman

If I were to hazard a guess, probably around 80-100k.

From what I heard folks were turned off from the originals grimoire system too so could be why people were fence sitting till they heard what early adopters had to say. Though the 2nd game did seem to get more positive responses. At the same time others said they had burned out trying to get the best stones and whatnots. But overall the system was much better.

Mix of characters was amusing this time around too and the event scenes were nicely done.

Considering that Atlus is under new investors now who are not in great financial standings themselves does matter unfortunately. So when an IP does not do as well as expected, focus will be either shifted or shelved. Since the Untold series most def has got to cost more due to the voice acting and the work done with having the story and classic mode it cant be a positive thing on financial report to look at if it did perform under expectations. When I say shelved I mean the Untold versions of the game. Which would be a shame since the 2nd one is far better than the first, which means the team did take a lot of feedback obtained from the first title seriously.

Thankfully Mystery Dungeon seemed to do better than expected and there still is EOV to see just how much attachment is still with the series. So will have to see how that plays out.

The DLC isnt going to be dropped as its the new "In" thing for Atlus to do. Basically started off with SMTIV and I would imagine since it was profitable regardless of the outcry on the internet it worked as a business model which is why they have been doing it constantly now.

Zweizer

Banned
If they lower the budget for EOU3.....................

Well, if lowering the budget means cutting the Story mode, I'd be all for it.

From what I heard folks were turned off from the originals grimoire system too so could be why people were fence sitting till they heard what early adopters had to say. Though the 2nd game did seem to get more positive responses. At the same time others said they had burned out trying to get the best stones and whatnots. But overall the system was much better.

Mix of characters was amusing this time around too and the event scenes were nicely done.

Yeah, I heard the game itself was better than the first Untold. Just that it was poorly handled as far as publishing goes.

Parakeetman

Well, if lowering the budget means cutting the Story mode, I'd be all for it.

Yeah, I heard the game itself was better than the first Untold. Just that it was poorly handled as far as publishing goes.

If they cut story mode, they might as well not just make the game at all honestly. Since there would be little to no point to purchase it otherwise. Hardcore fans do not really count and a lot of them I doubt would even purchase the game if it was just a straight up remake. Seeing how EOU2 did poorly with a story mode and classic mode, can imagine those numbers going down even further if it was just classic mode only.

Yeah the whole publishing side of things seems to be a bit pear shaped.

Maybe.

Go away.

You literally only came here because someone mentioned the Vita, lol.

If they cut story mode, they might as well not just make the game at all honestly. Since there would be little to no point to purchase it otherwise. Hardcore fans do not really count and a lot of them I doubt would even purchase the game if it was just a straight up remake. Seeing how EOU2 did poorly with a story mode and classic mode, can imagine those numbers going down even further if it was just classic mode only.

Yeah the whole publishing side of things seems to be a bit pear shaped.

You're making me feel like there's no chance of EOV being only classic.

fuck

Parakeetman

Go away.

You're making me feel like there's no chance of EOV being only classic.

fuck

No idea really, seeing how the mainline games have always been devoid of voiced content.

Though at the same time too if they want to try and bring in new fans they need to do something.

Really no idea how to read EOV considering we hardly have any info on it. But going off how the mainline games have all generally been the same with freedom of choice for your party and no voice, perhaps it will keep that.

Or if anything it will at least have voiced sections for the story related bits.

Not sure really. :/

Since gameplay wise they have pretty much refined all of the basics as much as possible, from there its a lot of adding to the world / dungeons for new systems to keep players interested / wanting to try the new titles. So will have to see what V will bring to the table. As they seriously have tried a bunch of unique stuff already. lol

Shizuka

Go away.

I came here because you told me to play Untold, but now I'm leaving.

giphy.gif

Parakeetman

I wonder if we will be seeing anything at TGS about it, so Atlus has stuff to show off in their booth. Though we all know most def the belle of the ball will be Persona 5, with the popularity of the series in Japan.

FluxWaveZ

Fuck
Persona

At least give me a trailer or TELL ME THAT EO5 IS FOR 3DS.

Now you're gonna start something.

Etrian Odyssey V definitely isn't a 2015 game; it'd probably be better to keep an unveil until its actual release date approaches. It'd be nice to at least have a platform confirmation, I'll give it that.

Edit: And mobile's not a worry, since SEGA SAMMY specifically outlined in their recent earnings report that Atlus is basically there for the traditional packaged games business, even though they're transitioning to a digital strategy.

Top Bottom