• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey Community Thread: The Ongoing Adventures of Fight and Heal

I'm just worried it might end up on mobile, or even worse the Vita.

avo_OK78.png

jk about the Vita.

It'd be cool to get some good mobile dungeon crawlers mind.

Zweizer

Banned
Decisions...decisions haha. I guess I'll finish through or at least try. I need to pickup Etrian mystery dungeon though.

Hang in there!

At least you can pick up Etrian Mystery Dungeon. Grumble grumble.

If they cut story mode, they might as well not just make the game at all honestly. Since there would be little to no point to purchase it otherwise. Hardcore fans do not really count and a lot of them I doubt would even purchase the game if it was just a straight up remake. Seeing how EOU2 did poorly with a story mode and classic mode, can imagine those numbers going down even further if it was just classic mode only.

Yeah the whole publishing side of things seems to be a bit pear shaped.

I doubt the Untold games attract a lot of non-hardcore fans, but I'd be glad to be proven wrong. Guess it'll probably be all up to how EO5 perform.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Hang in there!

At least you can pick up Etrian Mystery Dungeon. Grumble grumble.

I doubt the Untold games attract a lot of non-hardcore fans, but I'd be glad to be proven wrong. Guess it'll probably be all up to how EO5 perform.

They basically were made to attract the non-hardcore fans, with things like the VO and it having the story as the main selling point vs dungeon crawling is how I see what the EOU series was made for.

FluxWaveZ

I'm just a little worried since we haven't heard a peep about EOV since the reveal.

It took 10 months after Persona 5's official announcement to hear anything more about it, and all we got was a teaser trailer. Not that EOV is as significant, but it's only been 6 months and the game apparently wasn't a long ways in development.

Zweizer

Banned
They basically were made to attract the non-hardcore fans, with things like the VO and it having the story as the main selling point vs dungeon crawling is how I see what the EOU series was made for.

Yeah, but we don't know how effective they were at reaching the non-hardcore audience, do we? Sales numbers don't exactly paint them as a huge success either.

spiritfox

Yeah, but we don't know how effective they were at reaching the non-hardcore audience, do we? Sales numbers don't exactly paint them as a huge success either.

I believe EOU1 sold less than EOIV, but the Untold games seem to be Komori's pet projects so I don't think they'll go anywhere unless it was a colossal sales failure.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!

Thats the point of what Im saying. Their idea to reach the non core audience was not exactly a hit, though at the same time too the design of the first EOU did not really help that. Which caused more folks to apparently hold off on buying it at launch with the numbers we got.

FluxWaveZ

I believe EOU1 sold less than EOIV, but the Untold games seem to be Komori's pet projects so I don't think they'll go anywhere unless it was a colossal sales failure.

Untold 2 is the worst selling game in the series thus far (in Japan), including EMD, and it also had the worst opening after the first EO game (which would then proceed to have a respectable LTD). It was speculated to be a result of oversaturation than anything, though.

Zweizer

Banned

Yeah, the first Untold sold a bit less than EO4. You do raise a good point about Komori's push for the games. I guess we might hear news about Untold 3 soon then!

Thats the point of what Im saying. Their idea to reach the non core audience was not exactly a hit, though at the same time too the design of the first EOU did not really help that. Which caused more folks to apparently hold off on buying it at launch with the numbers we got.

It's a real shame that they apparently greatly improved the formula in Untold 2, only to have it being let down by the awful DLC implementation and being released in a very busy period.

Ultimately though, even if the sales of the Untold games were lower than the mainline games, I doubt Atlus is particularily unhappy about the results. They'd generally be content with a ~100k LTD sales I believe, so I don't think the EO series is in any trouble.

GeekyDad

I would think the opposite. My guess is it's largely Atlus' intent to introduce new folks to these great games by not only updating them in terms of presentation, but also by offering more tame difficulty options and full auto-mapping.

Zweizer

Banned
I would think the opposite. My guess is it's largely Atlus' intent to introduce new folks to these great games by not only updating them in terms of presentation, but also by offering more tame difficulty options and full auto-mapping.

I know that the intent is to attract a broader audience with these remakes, but my claim was that I doubt it succeeded all that well at reaching said audience, at least if we go by their sales (I would say the vast majority of the buyers seemed to have been core fans), but as I've previously stated I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

atlusprime

Atlus PR
I don't see many people that weren't interested in the series suddenly getting it because of story mode, but maybe I'm wrong.

Honestly, not sure if it was story or the added difficulty modes that lured people in. I mean, Etrian Odyssey is one of those "my friend's friend told me about this game and it sounds hard as hell so I've never tried one" kind of game, but having jumped in at EOIV myself, I can really appreciate the changes made in EOU and EO2U. I can tell there's been a change-over, because while I loved the story in PQ, in the demos I've been doing with EO2U, I've been leaning wayyyy towards classic mode. So I dunno. Maybe it is working? But the difficulty modes is definitely appreciated. :)

Oh, also the Arianna video is up.

ohlawd

HNNNNNG. the music, Arianna's voice uuummphhhh

it still says summer. Wikipedia (>_>) says August 4th hey, can you guys not release the game during late July-early August? I might go on vacation during that time and it'd kill me knowing my game will be sitting in my mailbox, not being played ;_;

Zweizer

Banned
Honestly, not sure if it was story or the added difficulty modes that lured people in. I mean, Etrian Odyssey is one of those "my friend's friend told me about this game and it sounds hard as hell so I've never tried one" kind of game, but having jumped in at EOIV myself, I can really appreciate the changes made in EOU and EO2U. I can tell there's been a change-over, because while I loved the story in PQ, in the demos I've been doing with EO2U, I've been leaning wayyyy towards classic mode. So I dunno. Maybe it is working? But the difficulty modes is definitely appreciated. :)

Oh, also the Arianna video is up.

Yeah, even with the various tweaks brought by the Untold games it hardly seems something that the average non-hardcore player would pick (the concept of drawing your own maps alone would put off most people I'd bet). I'd even argue Persona Q seems to be better at attracting the casual audience to the EO series than the remakes. The updated gameplay, graphics and music are still welcome, of course!

Arianna's voice is very nice. Loving it~

Arianna is perfect.

But even perfection isn't going to make me play story mode........... maybe.

Can't be worse than the one from the first Untold!

Just kidding. At least, if we go by Parakeetman-man's impressions, it should be much better this time.

ChrisD

Popping in to say that I picked IV back up after dropping it in February due to Monster Hunter. Well, that and SCREW this Hollow Queen and her Dimensional Cut. I didn't know I would be forced into battle for walking into the bosses' lair, and was woefully unprepared for it. My MVP Runemaster Zeliss was Level 31. Now she's back to 28. :(

spiritfox

Popping in to say that I picked IV back up after dropping it in February due to Monster Hunter. Well, that and SCREW this Hollow Queen and her Dimensional Cut. I didn't know I would be forced into battle for walking into the bosses' lair, and was woefully unprepared for it. My MVP Runemaster Zeliss was Level 31. Now she's back to 28. :(

If the game ever stops you in front of a door, it means that something is gonna go down behind it. At least you know now what is going to happen.

MrDoctor

Wow, uh, I never knew this existed.

To try to start off with something meaningful, can I get some help with the sand stratum in EO1? I don't see any way around this other than to buy up supplies for the long trek through hell.

Zweizer

Banned
Wow, uh, I never knew this existed.

To try to start off with something meaningful, can I get some help with the sand stratum in EO1? I don't see any way around this other than to buy up supplies for the long trek through hell.

Welcome, and enjoy your stay~

Are you playing the original EO1? I guess you already know to activate the shortcuts, right? There isn't really anything specific I can suggest. Just take care of your map so that you know precisely where each path leads to, try to use as few resources for each random encounter as possible, and of course, avoid the FOEs.

MrDoctor

...and of course, avoid the FOEs.
Heh, this is a stratum that doesn't really give you a choice. My main obstacle is dealing with the gargantuan asshole of a boss after the previous floor wearing me down. Was there an item for avoiding fights entirely, or do I have it wrong?

omlet

Heh, this is a stratum that doesn't really give you a choice. My main obstacle is dealing with the gargantuan asshole of a boss after the previous floor wearing me down. Was there an item for avoiding fights entirely, or do I have it wrong?
I can't remember if they're named the same thing in all games, but Warding Bells in the series are an item that lower enemy encounter rates for like 30 steps or so but no item lets you avoid them entirely. You can also run from encounters if you feel your level is good enough for now to not need the exp (at least until you've cleared the boss).

Nachos

Whoops, forgot to check back here.

Apparently the paid DLC locked off a significant chunk of mappable space on some floors. We know EOU2 was a sales dud in the otherwise consistent EO series, so I've speculated that backlash from that might be a reason.

I'm hopeful EO5 and a hypothetical EOU3 will get the series back on track.
From what I've seen, it's not quite as cut-and-dry. If you look at the maps themselves, some pretty big chunks are locked behind DLC, but only the maps that were small in the original had those parts added. Still would've preferred it was free, though.

I like Himukai's art not just because he draws cute, bright coloured characters. But also because he draws horrible, freakish abominations in that same bright style. I love the contrast.
Yeah, I really like one of III's main game final bosses.

And you're right, Himukai does great enemies, I also love his background art.
Himukai only does the character art and enemy design if they're related to those characters. Shin Nagasawa is the general enemy artist. I forgot their name, but I'm pretty sure the environmental artist is different, too.

Any idea on how frequently character trailers are going to come out? Is it basically one per month?

Himukai only does the character art and enemy design if they're related to those characters. Shin Nagasawa is the general enemy artist. I forgot their name, but I'm pretty sure the environmental artist is different, too.

I had no idea, the background art is so good, freaking EO team is the best.

Also regarding the videos, knowing Atlus, it will be one per week.

Nachos

I had no idea, the background art is so good, freaking EO team is the best.

Also regarding the videos, knowing Atlus, it will be one per week.
Yeah, it's weird that both Himukai and Nagasawa have started getting their names added to the general credits in the Japanese promotional materials, yet no one really acknowledges the landscape artist. They make some of my favorite art.

But I was just wondering about the videos since Fafnir's got uploaded about a month before Atianna's. I figured they might be alternating between character and gameplay trailers about every two weeks.

ChrisD

So I beat the Hollow Queen and gained access to using Arcanists.

I... I'm sorry, but Mauricio the Dancer is being replaced by Lyla the Arcanist. You were a great support while it lasted. :c

I also used up the two Training items right off the bat; one for said Arcanist, and one for a Sniper since I haven't used them yet. My team for the upcoming land is looking to be:

L/F
R/A/S

Not sure how well it's going to work, but if I was able to make it through the second land in it's entirety using

L/F/D
R/R

I should be good. Unless that is actually a good setup? I actually really liked the double Runemasters, but the second had to go for my made-up story reasons haha.

I tell you, this game has really sucked me in now that my characters are showing specialties. They all have their roles, and they fill them nicely. A lot funner than the beginning which, honestly, I wasn't too engaged with. I feel like Level 20 is where things got really good.

I... I'm sorry, but Mauricio the Dancer is being replaced by Lyla the Arcanist. You were a great support while it lasted. :c

I also used up the two Training items right off the bat; one for said Arcanist, and one for a Sniper since I haven't used them yet. My team for the upcoming land is looking to be:

L/F
R/A/S

I got dropped and you added BOTH a fucking Arcanist and Sniper to your team.

1431673005900.png

ChrisD

That would be one day after my birthday.

If I'm still playing the series and don't get pulled back away by then, I'm fine with that date.

MrDoctor

After a couple failed attempts at defeating Iwaopeln, I "Fuck this!" and swapped in a Dark Hunter, Hexer, and Protector to my party. Now I have some questions:

1. Does binding work on all bosses? Any tips for doing so?
2. Quickest methods for accumulating currency? The shop now has that whip you get for defeating Cruella but costs *so* much.

Zweizer

Banned
After a couple failed attempts at defeating Iwaopeln, I "Fuck this!" and swapped in a Dark Hunter, Hexer, and Protector to my party. Now I have some questions:

2. Quickest methods for accumulating currency? The shop now has that whip you get for defeating Cruella but costs *so* much.

Bindings and ailments work on pretty much all bosses, though of course they're harder to inflict.

As for money, the best way would be to have a team of Survivalists (or your regular party if they have invested into harvest skills) farm materials from resources spots and sell them.

omlet

That's a winning trio. I don't remember if you said if you're playing OG EO1 or EOU1, but it shouldn't make that much difference.

You can wreck that boss with binds or Bait using a DH. With a Protector to take hits you can let the boss use its multi-hit attacks and Bait will do crazy damage in return (especially boosted and/or with defense down on the boss and an attack buff on your DH). Or you can use binds to stop its more deadly attacks and take your time on him.

There aren't really any "tips" for binds? They will work but bosses and FOEs have higher resistance and they won't last as long, typically. Hexer's skill can help with duration but I found it wasn't really necessary most of the time. Even with one bind, Ecstasy does high damage and with more than one it just gets silly.

On second thought, I guess there is a tip for binds on bosses, but this is dependent on your party setup. In my Expert/Classic EOU1 game I ran with P/DH/R | H/M the entire game up to postgame boss (had to change party around to beat him). If I was trying to get binds on something quickly, I would have my Protector and Ronin go for the arm binds first (usually on second turn after Protector did Taunt or a buff and Ronin would take a stance); they both had lower chances of landing binds, but with both trying they could usually get it, especially with Boost. My DH and Hexer would go for whatever bind I felt was the best for defensive reasons (usually head). Once I got 2 binds on, my DH would start spamming Ecstasy while my Hexer would continue to debuff or go for the third bind. With luck I could have FOEs or bosses fully bound in a couple turns for long enough to get some major damage out of Ecstasy before the binds started wearing off.

For money, like Zweizer said, in OG EO1 (and 2), Survivalists party with harvesting skills...yeah it's a little tedious but it's the best way. In EOU1 I had way more money than I could ever spend without even trying hard to make money.

Rutger

Banned
For money, like Zweizer said, in OG EO1 (and 2), Survivalists party with harvesting skills...yeah it's a little tedious but it's the best way.

A Survivalist party is really only good in 2 for the first stratum. Once you can start killing bosses for their conditional drops that's far faster, and has the added bonus of being the fastest way to gain levels.
And it's not like any of the bosses are difficult with EO2's Hexer around, so it's also a very low risk strategy compared to five Survivalists(though I guess we can just bring a Hexer to deal with any ambushes.)

Top Bottom