• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey Community Thread: The Ongoing Adventures of Fight and Heal

Nachos

EO3 is hereeeeeeeeeeeeee

Can't wait to dig into this.

How am I going to dig into this.

You can do whatever
and switch to a Warrior's Might team in the post-game if you want
, but there's two pieces of advice I'd give:
1. Look at what classes use the sixth party slot and try not to have more than one in your party, between all of your main and sub classes. Those are the Ninja, Wildling, and (if you unlock them in your route)
Yggdroid
. Hoplites can also take the ninja subclass to put a clone in the other row for double defense.
2. Make ten farmers from scratch. Level up the first group of five's farming skills so you can use them immediately (you need points in farming to gather at all in this game), and give the other group of five Combat Study so that they'll gain EXP on the sidelines. Then just keep checking in on them until you max that skill and start pouring points into all of their other gathering skills. You can also give Combat Study to any other classes you aren't using, if you want to try them later without starting from scratch.

Also, Monk's physical skills aren't great, and Monk/Prince easily outclasses Prince/Monk.

Here's the skill simulator if you really want to be a crazy person.

---

I know Maurico's going to jump on me for saying anything bad about the princess, but at least you can use them well in Untold 2.

You should still make a Princess as you don't get subclassing until later on.

Monk/Princess is better than Princess/Monk in the post game, but fuck the post game I still finished it with my Princess/Monk.

PK Gaming

Thanks for the advice!

I like to balance style and function together, so i'll be going with Princess / Monk on this run.

Current party:
-Ninja
-Buccaneer
-Princess

-Zodiac
-Monk

Can I make that kind of team work?

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Thanks for the advice!

I like to balance style and function together, so i'll be going with Princess / Monk on this run.

Current party:
-Ninja
-Buccaneer
-Princess

-Zodiac
-Monk

Can I make that kind of team work?

Farmer, Farmer, Farmer Farmer, Farmer

then sub whatever lol.

Or Farmer, Princess, Farmer, Farmer, Farmer

Great Justice.

Any team can work, moreso in EO3, so go wild.

o yus

PK Gaming

latest

Best shopkeeper ever.

Her ingame sprite is amazing and I totally want a clean render of it, but I can't find one anywhere. If only she was on the official site :<

latest

Best shopkeeper ever.

Her ingame sprite is amazing and I totally want a clean render of it, but I can't find one anywhere. If only she was on the official site :<

EO3 has best everything, the Innkeeper is also love.

What the hell with those names lol. Also remember to have 10 farmers(5 with the exp skill), I'm sure somobody already said it but it's super important.

PK Gaming

Preliminary thoughts on EO3

• Really digging the whole new set of classes. It gives this prequel a completely different feel, and- JESUS CHRIST THE NINJA CLASS IS SO COOL. Literally going Naruto up in this bitch'. Ahem, I really like the Princess class.
  • The music and atmosphere feel the same... yet different. It's like you're on summer vacation and you're visiting your relatives. I've played EOIV for so long that even the minor changes throw me off. It's a good feeling though!
  • The ship feels like a downgrade of the airship on paper, but i'm guessing the different islands you get to visit will be fun. I found some guy on an island and he gave me a quest!
  • The map mechanics are definitely worse than EOIV, but why does the map itself look better here?
  • This game (at least the beginning) is definitely harder than EOIV. Fucking lynx's, i'm looking at you.
  • GoddAMN F.O.Es are scary in this game. Running into one is instant death, and they can really sneak up on your asses.
  • The farmer class is cool. Not sure if I prefer EOIV's approach (more convenient) or EO3's (more gain) when it comes to gathering materials, but I can tell I won't be put off by EO3's.
  • Really appreciate the layout to getting skills in EOIV. EO3 just kind of throws everything at you.
  • And on that note, there are a lot more useless skills this time around. Seriously, some o the gains are tiny. Seriously, if it wasn't for skill calculator, I would have wasted skill points on Royal Lineage.
  • I can already tell the story is going to be more hype than EOIV's. I've got a 6th sense about this sort of thing.
  • Repeat after me: The shopkeeper is love, the shopkeer is life.

spiritfox

Fox mask ninja bestest Ninja.

EO3's sailing is more like a puzzle compared to 4's overworld. You have to figure out how to get to spots within the limits of your supplies, and you get new tools to expand your range through discovering new spots on the map.

Nachos

Preliminary thoughts on EO3

• The music and atmosphere feel the same... yet different. It's like you're on summer vacation and you're visiting your relatives. I've played EOIV for so long that even the minor changes throw me off. It's a good feeling though!
Kind of like Dangan Ronpa to Dangan Ronpa 2?

• The map mechanics are definitely worse than EOIV, but why does the map itself look better here?
What makes you say that?

[*]This game (at least the beginning) is definitely harder than EOIV. Fucking lynx's, i'm looking at you.
[/LIST]
You're still on the first floor. Wait until you get to the second.
Ask around the pub (maybe the rest of the town?) for a trick to a certain big random enemy if it gives you trouble.

PK Gaming

Fox mask ninja bestest Ninja.

EO3's sailing is more like a puzzle compared to 4's overworld. You have to figure out how to get to spots within the limits of your supplies, and you get new tools to expand your range through discovering new spots on the map.

ninja-04.png

No doubt.

Kind of like Dangan Ronpa to Dangan Ronpa 2?

Yeah. Or even Persona 3 to Persona 4 (or in my case, Persona 4 to Persona 3, haha)

What makes you say that?

It's hard to put into words... I like the color scheme and how the walls look when they're drawn. They looked pretty ugly in EOIV, imo.

You're still on the first floor. Wait until you get to the second.
Ask around the pub (maybe the rest of the town?) for a trick to a certain big random enemy if it gives you trouble.

The giant bird, right? So far, I've been taking it down by getting Guard Order up and just pummeling it to death. I think I remember a pub person mention going out night to avoid it.

omlet

The ship feels like a downgrade of the airship on paper, but i'm guessing the different islands you get to visit will be fun. I found some guy on an island and he gave me a quest!
I really disliked this part of EO3.
This game (at least the beginning) is definitely harder than EOIV.
GoddAMN F.O.Es are scary in this game. Running into one is instant death, and they can really sneak up on your asses.
EO3 is like 1 and 2 in this regard. EO4 was the change from the norm in regards to making the early floors much easier and FOEs much less scary upon initial encounter.
Really appreciate the layout to getting skills in EOIV. EO3 just kind of throws everything at you.
Yep, this was one of the things changed for the better in EO4. The skill lists in 1-3 require a lot more mental gymnastics than the cleanly laid out trees in 4 and Untold.
And on that note, there are a lot more useless skills this time around. Seriously, some o the gains are tiny. Seriously, if it wasn't for skill calculator, I would have wasted skill points on Royal Lineage.
Yep. However, almost every class's mastery skill is good in EO3, including Royal Lineage, although it's not really a good pickup early in the game. It's an amazing skill later in the game when you can afford to get it to rank 10 because if you're fighting EZPZ stuff then you can actually recover TP in battle by casting cheap low rank buffs and if you're fighting hard stuff then that TP recovery is a godsend in terms of surviving wars of attrition. Additionally, thoug this is something you probably wouldn't have a way to notice yet because of being so early in the game, this skill triggers from buffs besides the Princess' own buffs, like the Limit skills.

Princess = Protect and Attack Order all day every day, 2 or 3 points in Monarch March are cool too.

Also lol at spoiler tagging Floor 2 stuff, I'm glad you're enjoying the game, PK.

I promised myself that I wouldn't actively hunt down EO3, but that if I came upon at in a store id buy it. Mostly cuz I fear that Atlud would release a 3DS version.

Edit: I keep forgetting that EO5 was announced. Wonder when we will hear more info?

Nachos

Edit: I keep forgetting that EO5 was announced. Wonder when we will hear more info?
My guess is that we'll hear new info at TGS, unless they debut a new trailer out of the blue like they did with Untold 2's announcement. But I'm wondering if it'll just be more reassurance that the game's getting made, or if there'll be something more substantial.

My guess is that we'll hear new info at TGS, unless they debut a new trailer out of the blue like they did with Untold 2's announcement. But I'm wondering if it'll just be more reassurance that the game's getting made, or if there'll be something more substantial.

I just want to know what they are going to do with Classic/Story, I'm not sure how I'm even going to feel about it when it's finally revealed.

Hikami

So I just got the part in EO Untold where you fight
Ren and Thlactga
.. and god damn the theme for that was so good. Probably my favorite track so far.

Parakeetman

I still have an unopened version of EO3 with the special book / cd thing.

Looks like this.

not my pic though as its still in bubble wrap and have no idea where my copy w/ cd went. its most likely packed up somewhere.

omlet

So I just got the part in EO Untold where you fight
Ren and Thlactga
.. and god damn the theme for that was so good. Probably my favorite track so far.

One of the best parts in the game, IMO. And yeah, Towering Pair is a great track for that battle.

PK Gaming

Hah, I sure didn't expect that ending

I figured we'd find their corpses, get sad, return to homebase and angst, but no!!
They're okay! And the blood was from the enemies they so obviously slaughtered!! And we all party'd and got wasted!

Everyone: (laughs)

I like the ending of that quest.

Also, nice avatar.

Thanks. Gonna roll with her for a while &#9834;

Parakeetman

Eep my left thumb nub dropped off. Damn, I don't feel like buying a new 3DS.

wat? thats not good.

cant send it into nintendo to be serviced? Since you would imagine all they need to do is open it up and replace the nub. Or if you are actually good with mechanical things, look for if anyone sells the actual nubs and find the plans online then repair it yourself.

spiritfox

wat? thats not good.

cant send it into nintendo to be serviced? Since you would imagine all they need to do is open it up and replace the nub. Or if you are actually good with mechanical things, look for if anyone sells the actual nubs and find the plans online then repair it yourself.

It's just the rubber pad, the nub itself is still working. I wonder if I can just glue it back on...

Parakeetman

It's just the rubber pad, the nub itself is still working. I wonder if I can just glue it back on...

Would be worried about like a small amount getting into the "moving bits" causing it to become totally stuck. As you would need a decent amount to hold it in there good Id imagine esp with the kind of pressure that goes into playing games in general. Also depending on what type of glue you use / rubber compound that the nub is made of it might cause the rubber to melt. D:

Kinda would suggest against glue.

PK Gaming

Oh man

Bunshin is the best ninja skill, no, the BEST EO skill. 2X the ninja, 2X pain... and you get some TP back after use. Yes

I love, love, love using it

Nachos

Ban Himukai from GAF.

EDIT: To make this less of a quip, though: do you think that Etrian's art style is what alienates a lot of potential players? I love his work (and especially his use of color), but I'm less enamored with some of his depictions in some cases. But the thing is, Himukai's clearly the one pushing for those things, which you can tell by looking at his artwork he's done outside of Atlus.

I wish it hadn't been locked, I was having a blast.

Ban Himukai from GAF.

EDIT: To make this less of a quip, though: do you think that Etrian's art style is what alienates a lot of potential players? I love his work (and especially his use of color), but I'm less enamored with some of his depictions in some cases. But the thing is, Himukai's clearly the one pushing for those things, which you can tell by looking at his artwork he's done outside of Atlus.

I started to play the series because of the art and I own all the freaking artbooks of the series so I'm obviously biased.

At least in Japan, the series' art has been one of the reasons that the EO games has been so successful so I think it was the right choice to go with Humukai-sama.

What I don't think is that we need that kind of fanservice, AND IT'S ALL THE FAULT OF STORY MODE FUCK IT.

But even worse than that DLC(which I don't mind tbh) is the floor DLC that seems to plague EOU2... I don't even know if I should buy it at all, I don't want that shit in EOU3 and EOV.

tuffy

Ban Himukai from GAF.

I don't think there's any way to know whether the number of people who like Wizardry-style dungeon crawlers but don't care for Etrian's art style is significant; all we have to go by are a few anecdotes in Etrian Odyssey threads.

Kasumin

I like Himukai's art not just because he draws cute, bright coloured characters. But also because he draws horrible, freakish abominations in that same bright style. I love the contrast.

Read that thread though and uh... wow. Welp, guess some people are missing out on EO based on strawman arguments they made up for themselves.

The EOU2 DLC does bug me, though. Because it's crap like that that makes the series look bad when it's a solid series. And is it ultimately even worth it? My friend was telling me that EOU2 sold worse than EOU (which sold worse than EO4) in Japan. Doesn't seem like pandering is working in their favor, if you ask me.

Top Bottom