• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey Community Thread: The Ongoing Adventures of Fight and Heal

Althane

God. That cover makes me want to play EO3 again. It's probably top of the game list for me.

Are they remaking all the games with Untold editions? Because EO3U would be an instant buy for me.

Laconic

Banned
EOU3 would be absolutely insane.

In the best sense.

Given that we'd be bound to get at least one new class as well as the Highlander and [a hopefully neutered down to non-broken levels of power] Fafnir, the combinations that would be available would be utterly staggering... especially if they went ahead and left Grimoire Stones in.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
EOU3 would be absolutely insane.

In the best sense.

Given that we'd be bound to get at least one new class as well as the Highlander and [a hopefully neutered down to non-broken levels of power] Fafnir, the combinations that would be available would be utterly staggering... especially if they went ahead and left Grimoire Stones in.

With how broken the subclassing system along side of the selection of jobs were now add in the updated grimoire system shit will be so OP it will be beyond hilarious. A team of death dealing farmers will not be far from the truth if so.

Its bad enough that I had 2 farmers in my main team who could kick the shit out of things with the best of them as is in the vanilla version. :D

wI3JE64.jpg

I can't even begin to imagine what kind of broken shit you could do with grimoire system + subclassing.

It would be the best game of all time if we could also get every EO2 class in 3, god the possibilities.

Also as a small update, I'm really enjoying Mystery Dungeon, reached the 4th Dungeon and I love how stressful boss battles are because you can't just reset the game, considering that my team is made of paper it's extra stressful(I need to use my Protector more).

Parakeetman

I can't even begin to imagine what kind of broken shit you could do with grimoire system + subclassing.

It would be the best game of all time if we could also get every EO2 class in 3, god the possibilities.

Also as a small update, I'm really enjoying Mystery Dungeon, reached the 4th Dungeon and I love how stressful boss battles are because you can't just reset the game, considering that my team is made of paper it's extra stressful(I need to use my Protector more).

The thought of the chance of losing a weapon you dumped a bunch of resources into to upgrade adds to that stress lol

Nachos

I figure that if they ever included both in one game, they'd change grimoires so that they can only contain monster skills.

Hikami

Only own/played Etrian Odyssey Untold.
Fun game, but ended up in the backlog so I've yet to finish it..

Pretty excited for EOII Untold though.

Was reading through the thread and saw my post on the first page.. lol
Been about 5 months since I gave up on Untold. Playing through Etrian Mystery Dungeon has me wanting to go and finish it up though.

Seems like I'm on the 4th stratum, hope I can finish it before Untold 2 is out.

Laconic

Banned
Was reading through the thread and saw my post on the first page.. lol
Been about 5 months since I gave up on Untold. Playing through Etrian Mystery Dungeon has me wanting to go and finish it up though.

Seems like I'm on the 4th stratum, hope I can finish it before Untold 2 is out.

Eh.

If you haven't done so already, nab up EO2, and beat it first.

That way you can appreciate all of the fast fun brokeness of low HP yet high damage bosses vs Ecstasy + Revenge (pro tip: E + R = The Prince That Was Promised UrChild aborted).

Althane

Speaking of the Untold games, I have every Etrian Odyssey except for the Untold games. Are there gameplay and graphic updates for them, or are they just basically the same game + story mode bolted onto the 3DS cartridge?

If they updated the gameplay for EO1, I would totally go back and play it agian. Playing it after even EO2 was like pulling teeth.

tuffy

Speaking of the Untold games, I have every Etrian Odyssey except for the Untold games. Are there gameplay and graphic updates for them, or are they just basically the same game + story mode bolted onto the 3DS cartridge?

If they updated the gameplay for EO1, I would totally go back and play it agian. Playing it after even EO2 was like pulling teeth.
There's a ton of gameplay updates in the Untold games even if you never touch the story mode at all. Skills are rebalanced, the rest penalty is reduced, even the mazes have new stuff to deal with. It's a pretty nice update for the most part.

Hikami

Eh.

If you haven't done so already, nab up EO2, and beat it first.

That way you can appreciate all of the fast fun brokeness of low HP yet high damage bosses vs Ecstasy + Revenge (pro tip: E + R = The Prince That Was Promised UrChild aborted).
Not really interested in the classic mode of etrian games for various reasons

only plan on playing the Untold games and maybe EO5 once we see what it's like

Althane

There's a ton of gameplay updates in the Untold games even if you never touch the story mode at all. Skills are rebalanced, the rest penalty is reduced, even the mazes have new stuff to deal with. It's a pretty nice update for the most part.

Sold.

Oh, back to the glorious green dungeons of my youth!

Sold.

Oh, back to the glorious green dungeons of my youth!

Untold is great, I tried to play the Story mode but it was boring as fuck so I deleted my save file that and started it again in Classic mode, it's really good even if you already played EO1, I'm sure you're going to get nostalgic as hell when you play it.

My only problem is that I'd love to have the Gunner and Highlander as classes in classic mode, gladly they fixed that for Untold 2 as you can also play Highlander and Princess in Classic.

Parakeetman

Untold is great, I tried to play the Story mode but it was boring as fuck so I deleted my save file that and started it again in Classic mode, it's really good even if you already played EO1, I'm sure you're going to get nostalgic as hell when you play it.

My only problem is that I'd love to have the Gunner and Highlander as classes in classic mode, gladly they fixed that for Untold 2 as you can also play Highlander and Princess in Classic.

For me its more the party makeup that they give you. At least Untold 2 is far superior with its party balance for the story characters.

Hikami

No, but I'd say it's veeeeery unlikely that the character designer will be anyone else than Yuji Himukai, like with all the previous installments.

I didn't say I disliked his character designs, I do like some of them
It just depends.
for example; like the first one, dislike the second one
the whole "huge heads, chibi/child-like" designs are what I'm not a fan of
bb374935ff.jpg
5704b23de2.jpg

Wouldn't really be a problem if you could switch character arts around like you could in say, Demon Gaze for example. But as far as I know you can't do that in EO games right?

Parakeetman

No, but I'd say it's veeeeery unlikely that the character designer will be anyone else than Yuji Himukai, like with all the previous installments.

Like, almost next to no chance.

Yeah considering the artwork is the main reason why people buy the game, highly doubt they will change the artist also.

It just depends.
bb374935ff.jpg
5704b23de2.jpg

Wouldn't really be a problem if you could switch character arts around like you could in say, Demon Gaze for example. But as far as I know you can't do that in EO games right?

Yeah you cant change it in EO as the classes have preset portraits w/ color variations thats about it. Cant go freestyle with them.

Zweizer

Banned
It just depends.
bb374935ff.jpg
5704b23de2.jpg

Well, I'd say Himukai is getting better with proportions with each installment in the series, so I guess waiting for EOU2 and EO5 would be more appropriate for you.

Yeah considering the artwork is the main reason why people buy the game, highly doubt they will change the artist also.

Well, it is for some people at least ( =‿=)

I'd drop this series the second Yuji Himukai wasn't the character designer.

Also:

> not liking original Shishou

ikr

PK Gaming

Ayyyy, I just took down the Great Dragon. Loading yourself up with fire resists really cripples its damage output.

Btw, my party's currently in the 70s and i'm close to finishing the postgame dungeon... am I ready for the postgame final boss or will I need to grind to 99 to take it down?

Ayyyy, I just took down the Great Dragon. Loading yourself up with fire resists really cripples its damage output.

Btw, my party's currently in the 70s and i'm close to finishing the postgame dungeon... am I ready for the postgame final boss or will I need to grind to 99 to take it down?

I was in my early 80's when I killed the final post-game boss and the final dragon.

All my team was retired when they reached level 40 and I did grind for some stat books, so that helped.

Zweizer

Banned

Congrats for the victory!

Unless your party has been tailor-made to take down the ultimate bonus boss, I'd say it's rather unlikely that you'll be able to beat it without being in your 80s-90s at least. Try to beat all the dragons first.

PK Gaming

Ah I see... Well then, I guess i'll do what I can until EO3 gets here then put EO4 on hold until I beat 3. Don't want to get burnt out after all.

omlet

In EO4? You can definitely finish the postgame boss without being level 99 *with chems* (but don't expect a speed kill). In EO1U on Expert... well...

ohlawd

Dropping the series for lack of Yuzo makes a lot more sense than dropping it for the character art

Yuzo Koshiro is the best active composer and it's not even close. dude takes a giant dump over just about everyone.

Nachos

Well, so much for the DLC idea. I just saw the trailer for Untold 2's classic mode, and it mentioned 13 classes. It'd be 14 if the Highlander was included by default.

It just depends.

I like both, but I see what you mean. The thing is, though, that you're comparing Himukai's art from 2007 (back when he was pretty much a nobody) with stuff he made five years later. The Untold games really highlight how much he's grown because all of the old and new art's right next to each other.

I'm sure V's art is going to be more in line with his recent stuff and have better proportions. I forgot what they were for (I think they were Untold trading cards or something), but he actually redrew some of the original classes in his modern style. The difference was night and day.

And no, I don't think you can mix and match portraits and classes. Maybe class changing would work, but I've never used it.
Dropping the series for lack of Yuzo makes a lot more sense than dropping it for the character art

Yuzo Koshiro is the best active composer and it's not even close. dude takes a giant dump over just about everyone.
Yeah, it's part of the reason why I kind of wish Koshiro scored PQ and did his interpretation of Persona's style.

I REALLY like the art, I don't think they would ever replace him so whatever.

Well, so much for the DLC idea. I just saw the trailer for Untold 2's classic mode, and it mentioned 13 classes. It'd be 14 if the Highlander was included by default.

we're already getting trailers? when is this game dropping?

I need to finish Mystery Dungeon and replay Untold ASAP!

I just realised my girlfriend gave me back my old DSi recently. I might try and finish EO3 now. By finish I mean continue from where I left off which was basically the very start of EO3. I may as well just restart EO3 actually. I barely made any progress. I'm just a B3F.

We had EOIV and EOU1 in 2013, so this year isn't that special. Just means no EO in 2016. :p

shut up

I just realised my girlfriend gave me back my old DSi recently. I might try and finish EO3 now. By finish I mean continue from where I left off which was basically the very start of EO3. I may as well just restart EO3 actually. I barely made any progress. I'm just a B3F.

It's never a bad time to start EO3 again.

Top Bottom