• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey Community Thread: The Ongoing Adventures of Fight and Heal

I finally started up Untold again and I forgot how fun this game is. First EO game I've played. Playing on Classic/Expert.

I'm on B9F right now and I just want to double check that my party composition makes sense. Front row is a Landsknecht and a Protector, and my back row is a Medic, a Hexer, and an Alchemist. This party has gotten me far enough but i just want to make sure I'm not sabotaging myself long term. It doesn't feel like I am but this game gives me enough flexibility to build out my party that I'm left a little nervous.

omlet

I finally started up Untold again and I forgot how fun this game is. First EO game I've played. Playing on Classic/Expert.

I'm on B9F right now and I just want to double check that my party composition makes sense. Front row is a Landsknecht and a Protector, and my back row is a Medic, a Hexer, and an Alchemist. This party has gotten me far enough but i just want to make sure I'm not sabotaging myself long term. It doesn't feel like I am but this game gives me enough flexibility to build out my party that I'm left a little nervous.

Good job Classic/Expert ヾ(*´∀`*)ノ

As for your party, you'll be fine for the main game with that party. However, speaking very long-term, beating the postgame boss on Expert to get the badge will probably be impossible or at best frustrating and time very consuming with that party. Landshark is probably the worst class in EOU but their synergy with Alchemist is not bad. With Grimiores you can make a strong L but the chaser/link thing in EO1 and 2 was not as well designed as in 3 and 4 and L also doesn't have any great passives and it runs out of TP quickly.

If it were me I'd sub a ronin or dark hunter in the front line instead of the landshark but that's more a personal preference thing and honestly even then you'd have a party hard pressed to deal with the postgame boss on Expert, because Hexer can't really do anything useful in that fight (except use Grimiore skill buffs), Dark Hunter can't really do anything useful in that fight (too much HP and bind resistance), and Ronin will have a hard time being ready to do damage on the correct turns (without memorizing his attack pattern). My EOU Classic/Expert team was P/D/R|H/M and it was clear sailing through the whole game up to the postgame boss then I had to rebuild and relevel my team specifically to kill him. I like the game so I didn't mind doing that.

Spoiler
not really
:
best team to speed kill the postgame classic mode expert boss is the story mode party, seriously.

Nachos

Your team looks good. 4/5 of it is what got me through the entire game, post-game included. Like Omelet said, though, the Land is one of the weakest classes in the game unfortunately, so you might want to look into swapping them for a different class down the line.

You should still be good for the main game, though, and it'll be a lot easier to train a new character up in the post game anyway, so don't worry about it for now.

Thanks for the advice. The Dark Hunter skill tree looks pretty interesting so I might mess around with it for a bit. The stance stuff with the Ronin seems rather daunting so I'll just come back to that at a later date if need be.

omlet

It's not really that bad. For ronin, spend enough SP to get at least 1 point in each elemental attack for versatility, then max out Swallow Strike and Charging Slash. Max Peerless for bosses/FOEs. That's keeping it simple. Go from there with what you think your party needs. For example, Chaser ronin is actually a thing, but it doesn't work with just any party.

Their stances act like any other buff. For trash battles, one turn of setup is usually enough. For boss battles, you need to pay a little more attention and count a turn or two ahead.

For more advanced stuff, the grimoire skills you want are passives that help them: Katana Mastery, Formula Mastery (if using elemental skills a lot), Wrath's Might, Boost Up, Recharge, Double Strike (maybe), and then active skills like Charge, Action Boost, and a strong physical attack that doesn't require them to enter a stance (like Land Slash or strong melee hits from late game bosses), which will be essential int the postgame dungeon where sometimes you simply cannot afford a turn of setup.

The 2nd one on the top left is my Ronin's stone (the rest are scattered across my story and classic mode parties)
FQVlPGq.jpg

Edit: Also, why shield mastery? Because my ronin uses a shield stone with that mastery on it because she's on the front line and also that way she can equip the shield with Death resistance and not waste the accessory slot. My DH is the same, and generally everyone in my party uses a shield stone as the base to give them that option for equipment if they didn't have it already. You'll see why when you get to postgame on expert. *shudder*

omlet

Queen Ant boss? No thanks. I love EO, but these games can quickly suck the fun right out of them.

What's giving you trouble? She's not too bad once you corner her. Just be sure to bring something to counteract Blind (leg bind, accuracy buffs, and/or debuff removers). If you don't have any of that, bring some TP items because the fight will probably run long. Edit: Assuming you mean EO1/U

Nachos

I've been replaying Etrian 1 lately to compare it to Untold, since I haven't touched the original in years, and man, some things still really hold up. I think the combat and map-making aren't quite as fun or robust, but I forgot how good the dungeon design is and how much better it is than Untold's.

The layouts are so much more labyrinthine, with lots of dead ends and twists and turns: pretty different from the later games' more linear layouts. Still, I think I love the FOE behavior most of all. They're so much more aggressive in how they pursue you, and if you enter a door, they won't just lose interest immediately – they'll wait right outside that door, forcing you to choose between warping out or fighting it. I've never played II beyond maybe five minutes, so I don't know if it follows suit, but I'm really disappointed that the games from III onwards don't just use FOEs as puzzles, but as traps. I love that some rooms have absolutely nothing in them, but by the time you have it mapped out, an FOE spawns either to chase you or block the exit. It's definitely more survival-based, too, especially with the much lower HP and TP caps.

Combat is a little dull, but I'm not really sure how much of it is on me. I'm just blasting through everything to see how much is different, but with all of the strongest skills (All-Slash, Apollon, First Turn, Immunize, Relaxing Song), I'm just tearing through every type of enemy by using the same order of commands over and over again. I'm a little disappointed that there's no real need for me to use variety, but at the same time, I'm not really sure how I'm otherwise supposed to deal with some of the FOEs and bosses. They all hit like trucks, and while Immunize trivializes the game, all of the alternatives kind of suck.

I also forgot how overpowered Survivalists are, and how they're simultaneously a great support class and the most powerful physical class in the game, easily beating both Lands and Ronins. Shame they were punished for that by being made useless in Untold and apparently II, but I've heard they're one of the strongest classes in Untold 2 if you build a party around them.

I just beat the fifth stratum, and am about to enter the post-game for the first time, since I didn't even know it existed back when I beat the main game years ago.

Floor 16 is terrible, though. I have no idea why they would make a map full of conveyer belts but then make it so that you not only have arrow icons but can also run into an icon limit if you improvise.

Nachos

You're gonna LOATHE that icon limit in the 6th stratum~

I just did my own fucking map, oldschool style.

Yeah, that was the sanest alternative lol
I got through floor 29 of Untold just fine, but now I'm kinda scared.

I just can't believe that they would actually let the map have such a small icon limit, especially for a portable game. I usually carry a small notebook of graph paper in my back pocket wherever I go, and even I think expecting people to have some on them whenever they could be playing is silly. But maybe salary men are just hardcore cartographers.

spiritfox

I got through floor 29 of Untold just fine, but now I'm kinda scared.

I just can't believe that they would actually let the map have such a small icon limit, especially for a portable game. I usually carry a small notebook of graph paper in my back pocket wherever I go, and even I think expecting people to have some on them whenever they could be playing is silly. But maybe salary men are just hardcore cartographers.

EOU's 6th stratum has been cut down from the original. Hohoho...

Nachos

They also uploaded a cooking trailer.

You can hear a few new voices, too. Matthew Mercer's definitely in, but I don't know if he's voicing the protagonist or Bertrand. It also sounds like they're reusing Erin Fitzgerald and Kirk Thornton for Regina and Cass. You can hear Flavio, too, but it's not enough to tell who voices him, I don't think.

Guess we are getting one trailer every two weeks, alternating between gameplay and characters.

ohlawd

I might end up double dipping on this because fuck waiting until I'm done my vacation to play this

best case scenario would be I don't go on vacation at all :D

omlet

I'm pretty excited for EOU2 since EO2 was where I really first got hooked on the series. Not sure I'll be getting it right at release because backlog and stuff, but probably this year for sure.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
They also uploaded a cooking trailer.

You can hear a few new voices, too. Matthew Mercer's definitely in, but I don't know if he's voicing the protagonist or Bertrand. It also sounds like they're reusing Erin Fitzgerald and Kirk Thornton for Regina and Cass. You can hear Flavio, too, but it's not enough to tell who voices him, I don't think.

Guess we are getting one trailer every two weeks, alternating between gameplay and characters.

The cooking shit is gonna drive everyone insane lol. Which is constantly keeping the resources for the better recipes stocked.

Do like the system though.

Nachos

I'm not even done mapping all of floor 26, and I already want to curl up into a ball.
37wSR6G.jpg

The cooking shit is gonna drive everyone insane lol. Which is constantly keeping the resources for the better recipes stocked.

Do like the system though.
How hard is it to keep ingredients stocked? One of the level 1 meals in the video doubled poison damage, while some of the others were regeneration and boosted ailment recovery. I can only imagine what the top-tier meals do.

Parakeetman

I'm not even done mapping all of floor 26, and I already want to curl up into a ball.
37wSR6G.jpg

How hard is it to keep ingredients stocked? One of the level 1 meals in the video doubled poison damage, while some of the others were regeneration and boosted ailment recovery. I can only imagine what the top-tier meals do.

For easier to find enemies its not so bad, other stuff as you advance gets a bit more irritating. Just because you need to keep fighting till it drops also includes FOEs. Also ingredients come both from enemies and harvest points.

That and there is the system of selling them in the town too which uses up ingredients. But you make $$$ from sales.

Thats a great picture btw lol.

Game will make you hungry with the pics of the foods. Kinda makes me wish that they made a cook class for the game.

Nachos

Apparently review codes for Untold 2 started getting sent out yesterday. Hopefully this means reviewers get to spend a good amount of time with the game.

Oh dear, I'll have to go through the sixth stratum soon. Should I start bending over already?
I was exaggerating a little bit, but the dungeon design still has a pretty sharp difficulty spike. The enemies really aren't that bad.

I just hope you have an Alchemist with sight for floor 27.
Because I don't.

I replaced my Landsknecht with a Dark Hunter and I'm liking the class quite a bit (more binds!), I'm pretty close to the second stratum boss. Wish me luck.

MrDoctor

Switched out my Paladin for a Survivalist and decimated the final boss. The ending has left me confused about the whole plot of the game:

Were you the "bad guys" all along? Is it like Nausicaa where the future generation shouldn't be burdened with the sins of the past? Is the ending supposed to be ambiguous like that?

Was the labyrinth exploration only for the town's economy? Why was that so important?

Where did the forest folk come from? Why were you ordered to kill them? Was it intended that you wouldn't survive, and the chief was so selfish that he held no condolence for the loss of life if it meant seeing his project to completion?

And finally, any info or tips I should know before tackling the post-game content?

Zweizer

Banned
Switched out my Paladin for a Survivalist and decimated the final boss. The ending has left me confused about the whole plot of the game:

Were you the "bad guys" all along? Is it like Nausicaa where the future generation shouldn't be burdened with the sins of the past? Is the ending supposed to be ambiguous like that?

Was the labyrinth exploration only for the town's economy? Why was that so important?

Where did the forest folk come from? Why were you ordered to kill them? Was it intended that you wouldn't survive, and the chief was so selfish that he held no condolence for the loss of life if it meant seeing his project to completion?

And finally, any info or tips I should know before tackling the post-game content?

Yes, in a way. You've slaughtered most of the Forest Folk, and killed the Yggdrasil Project, which was still ongoing.

Yes, it was basically tourism. I forgot why it was considered so essential though. Maybe it played some part into the Yggdrasil Project?

I think they were created by the Yggdrasil Project to help rebuild the world, and after they achieved their role they were considered a nuisance by Visil, so pitting you against them was perfect for him.

As for the 6th stratum... Well, uh, be very patient, and don't be afraid to change your party configuration if it helps.

omlet

Zweizer gave what I'd consider the right answers, but just to chime in on the questions,
Pretty much, yeah, though I'm not sure about the Nausicaa bit. I saw it as a twist on something that is often glossed over in JRPGs: the impact your actions have on the world long term (and also an intentional break from the common neatly wrapped ending). EO1 begins as an exploration for exploration's sake game and as little plot points start to add up (especially once you hit the end of the 3rd stratum and beginning of the 5ht) you and you see there's more to it than that you can either stop playing or you can keep exploring. You're left with the exact same choice that real explorers in that situation would be left with. I thought it was really awesome the way the game leaves you with this ambiguous feeling.

Some dialog in the game indicates that the answer is yes. As for the importance, it's tough to get specific because the game never does, but I think it's safe to assume that the town actually came to life as a natural result of explorers congregating in the area. That is the way of life the town (even the people who aren't explorers) knows, thus it's important to everyone there. The chief
was okay with this as long as no one got too far down, and the game's story puts your guild in the position of being badass enough to be the first to make that push, assuming you don't quit the game.

Another thing the game doesn't spend much time being not explicit about, but I think they were either
some kind of race engineered to serve as guardians or they might even be the remnants of the old civilization gone mutated and somewhat feral after the catastrophe at the time of the Yggdrasil Project, or a combination.

As for killing them,
from what I remember in Untold, the chief's reasons are vague, and his assistant is not sure, either (but of course the only way to not fight them is to stop exploring). I'm pretty sure it was one of two things... 1) they had become too much for him to handle and he wanted them gone OR 2) as you hinted at, he gave you this mission with the intent of killing you off, thinking there was no way you'd win against them and the sacrifice of one party of explorers was worth it for the good of the world. Point #2 is in line with what Ren tells you later, FWIW.

If you're playing OG EO1, get some graph paper. The in-game map function has icon limitations that make it impossible to map some of the floors in the postgame dungeons of EO1 and EO2. Untold doesn't run into this icon limit (it has one but not low enough to be a problem).

My experience with EO1 postgame is only in Untold, so here goes:
Definitely be patient! Even as a series vet, when I played Untold on Expert mode, I think I got more game overs in that 6th stratum than in my entire EO career combined. You'll be making a lot of trips back to town.

Put your paladin back in your party. You will want a tank and you will especially want elemental walls (or troubadour buffs). A couple common enemies will hit your whole party with strong elemental AOEs that apply debuffs.

If you're in Untold, make shield-based grimiores for everyone and equip the shields that have Death Resist to save your accessory slot for something else. If you're in OG Untold I think it does not have the one-accessory-per-character limit so you can use an accessory slot instead.

FOEs are murderous in postgame, way worse than anything you've faced so far. Do not engage them carelessly. I don't know of the levels for OG EO1, but in EOU I would recommend you don't touch any postgame FOEs until level 80 (I think you can fight the turtles at that level if you have a paladin and good elemental damage output). Avoid the raptors and birds until later, unless expressly making a trip to try hunting one. Nothing can ruin your exploration trip in the 6th strata faster than getting in an unwanted tangle with one of those guys. If in OG EO1, I'm sure this general advice still holds.

Protip for later (EOU): after you've explored and beaten a couple the "right" way (Expert difficulty), the Depth Diver FOEs in that stratum make amazing exp sources. Eat rare spawn boost food and turn the difficulty down and you can get millions of exp really quickly, which is great for catching up a new or retired party member. As for beating those guys the "right" way, Dark Hunters and Hexers are amazing against them. Head bind stops their worst attack and Hexers can Evil Eye them and their adds the summon.

Hinted at in the above, but If in EOU go fight all three elemental dragons to raise your level cap past 70. Do this ASAP. They're all pretty intense fights on Expert even at level 70 but they're beatable. Ice > Lighting > Fire in terms of battle difficulty IMO.

Any time you encounter Hexroots you must prioritize killing them on the first turn.

As for the postgame boss, that's another discussion in itself. I'll just say that I could not beat him with my classic mode party of P/D/R|H/M but I trounced him on Classic/Expert with the story mode party setup (though my paladin and medic were my classic mode party's paladin and medic rather than the story mode ones). He's a DPS race and debuffs are not a valid approach so you need heavy hitting DPS (this is the one fight in the game where Dark Hunters are not great) and a high level (or nearly) paladin to take the hits (as well as nullify elemental AOEs). I'm not sure what good party comps are for fighting him in OG EO1. His attacks have a pattern to them so take notes as you fight.

Zweizer

Banned
Oh yeah, another note: If you bring back a Protector into your party (and you definitely should), don't forget to not put more than 5 points into each Anti-Element skill, as past that they'll cause your party to absord damage instead of negating them, which is fine and dandy and all, but in the 6th Stratum (and against the bonus boss) the enemies' attacks tend to carry an ailment as well in addition to the damage inflicted, and absorbing the attacks doesn't nullify the ailments, which will be lethal.

It's something that's only in the first EO (and not in Untold), so it can be easily missed.

atlusprime

Atlus PR
I done goofed and got behind in our EO2U videos, so the Flavio character video is going out tomorrow instead of today. (Chloe is the best, btw. THE BEST.)

We're seeing if we can stream some of the early classic mode stuff some time next week - any particular classes you all want to see?

We can even do expert mode and you can all watch me nub it up and die to lvl 2 critters.

Zweizer

Banned
We're seeing if we can stream some of the early classic mode stuff some time next week - any particular classes you all want to see?

We can even do expert mode and you can all watch me nub it up and die to lvl 2 critters.

Protector of course~! And War Magus. I'm especially curious as to the changes brought to the latter.

Expert mode is the way to go~

omlet

I done goofed and got behind in our EO2U videos, so the Flavio character video is going out tomorrow instead of today. (Chloe is the best, btw. THE BEST.)

Protector/Dark Hunter/War Magus | Hexer/Troubadour

Expert mode.

git gud

atlusprime

Atlus PR
Protector of course~! And War Magus. I'm especially curious as to the changes brought to the latter.

Expert mode is the way to go~

Can do! War Magus is awesome, btw. I don't have nearly the same depth with the games that others here do, but it feels like EO2U's classes are a lot more supporty, once you get beyond Lands/Protector/Gunners.

Dodge-tanking with survivalists is fun
right up until the point where they forget how to dodge

Protector/Dark Hunter/War Magus | Hexer/Troubadour

git gud

I'm trying!
I could be trying harder

Zweizer

Banned
Can do! War Magus is awesome, btw. I don't have nearly the same depth with the games that others here do, but it feels like EO2U's classes are a lot more supporty, once you get beyond Lands/Protector/Gunners.

Yeah, Parakeetman said as much too. That's good to hear, as it should give more focus to party synergies.

Parakeetman

Yeah, Parakeetman said as much too. That's good to hear, as it should give more focus to party synergies.

It really does, which is why I liked EOU2 a lot more than the first one. The party in the first game just didnt feel right to me for some reason. Think that was part of the reason why I had lost interest so fast too. D: That and the original grimoire system was not a big fan of.

In EOU2 its a lot better and can be addictive. D: lol

Nachos

HAHAHA!!! YOU THOUGHT YOU COULD KEEP ME DOWN, ATLUS, BUT 29F AIN'T NOTHING! YOU GOT THAT? NOTHING!

I actually haven't started exploring floor 30 yet, so for all I know, I might get brutally murdered once I do.

If you're planning to do a stream of story mode eventually, I think it might be best to mainly go with classes that aren't the defaults for the new cast.

I'd really like to see Beasts (especially Beasts), Gunners, and Highlanders, though. Maybe throw a Hexer and War Magus in there, too. War Magi got their skill lists completely redone from the ground up, so I don't think you'd be able to cover everything they have even in two play sessions.

omlet

HAHAHA!!! YOU THOUGHT YOU COULD KEEP ME DOWN, ATLUS, BUT 29F AIN'T NOTHING! YOU GOT THAT? NOTHING!

I actually haven't started exploring floor 30 yet, so for all I know, I might get brutally murdered once I do.
You will, but the map is not complicated like the previous floors.

Top Bottom