• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey Community Thread: The Ongoing Adventures of Fight and Heal

atlusprime

Atlus PR
If you're planning to do a stream of story mode eventually, I think it might be best to mainly go with classes that aren't the defaults for the new cast.

Probably won't be allowed to stream story mode, but yeah - Beast is definitely getting shown off. Best class.

Zweizer

Banned
It really does, which is why I liked EOU2 a lot more than the first one. The party in the first game just didnt feel right to me for some reason. Think that was part of the reason why I had lost interest so fast too. D: That and the original grimoire system was not a big fan of.

In EOU2 its a lot better and can be addictive. D: lol

The wait for it to arrive in Europe will be hard to bear.

HAHAHA!!! YOU THOUGHT YOU COULD KEEP ME DOWN, ATLUS, BUT 29F AIN'T NOTHING! YOU GOT THAT? NOTHING!

I actually haven't started exploring floor 30 yet, so for all I know, I might get brutally murdered once I do.

You're already dead.

Rutger

Banned
No Hexer huh?

Good luck. It's interesting to think about how vastly different the difficulty is in that game depending on whether or not you bring one certain class. The class balance was really bad in EOII, haha.

omlet

Decided to put off the bonus bosses for later and move on to EOII. I'm rolling with an R/D/W | G/T party right now.

You should be alright until postgame, heh.

No Hexer huh?

Good luck. It's interesting to think about how vastly different the difficulty is in that game depending on whether or not you bring one certain class. The class balance was really bad in EOII, haha.

I went into EO2 pretty much blind and put a Hexer in my party because they sounded like they had cool skills. Had no idea how strong the were in that game (and ailments in general in the EO series). Hexers are pretty fantastic in all the games featuring them, although EO2's Revenge shenanigans didn't make it to Untold (and I haven't tried it in EMD because they're so good as ailment machines I haven't put SP into getting Revenge in EMD) and formation variation in EOU makes Topor less broken since it can't always hit the entire group.

I kind of want to play EOU2 with a different party just to see what it's like but ultimately my love of Hexers and nostalgia factor are probably going to mean I end up playing EOU2 classic mode with my same party I cleared the majority of EO2 and EOU with, P/D/R|H/M. Story mode party will give a good opportunity to play with a different party, and then at postgame I can bring some other characters up to speed to try them out if I feel like it.

Rutger

Banned
I went into EO2 pretty much blind and put a Hexer in my party because they sounded like they had cool skills. Had no idea how strong the were in that game (and ailments in general in the EO series). Hexers are pretty fantastic in all the games featuring them, although EO2's Revenge shenanigans didn't make it to Untold (and I haven't tried it in EMD because they're so good as ailment machines I haven't put SP into getting Revenge in EMD) and formation variation in EOU makes Topor less broken since it can't always hit the entire group.

I kind of want to play EOU2 with a different party just to see what it's like but ultimately my love of Hexers and nostalgia factor are probably going to mean I end up playing EOU2 classic mode with my same party I cleared the majority of EO2 and EOU with, P/D/R|H/M. Story mode party will give a good opportunity to play with a different party, and then at postgame I can bring some other characters up to speed to try them out if I feel like it.

I can't wait to play EOU2 mostly because the Hexer won't be absurdly overpowered this time, I like the class, but it was way too good in EOII. I guess I could replay EOII without a Hexer, but I'm spoiled by the faster battle speed now.

I'm really looking forward to playing the postgame, I cheesed the hell out of the original's. Thanks to a low level Survivalist with maxed stalker I never ran into any fights and then killed the final boss before it could even attack me. The music for the last dungeon ended up being fitting in a way that probably wasn't intended, haha.

omlet

Postgame regular encounters with my party in EOII were cast Topor then my DH and R would dismantle the enemy while my Hexer took a nap. FOEs would usually go down fast from Revenge and binds.

b95c8670c2590e75f78b113aa119b37b0040f7ef.jpg

Then I actually almost bear Ur Child at night several times before figuring out his attack pattern at night is random lol... Went down without too much trouble when I went back during the day.

Obligatory
62acbfaf7aebe990b4078fc2dc01842787bfff64.jpg

Speaking of Hexers being OP, in EMD the Sleep ailment is not removed when hitting an enemy so you can sleep an entire room of enemies and wail on them for 5 or 6 turns before they wake up... then you can sleep them again because ailment resistance doesn't work the same way as in regular EO games. ( ̄ー ̄)

atlusprime

Atlus PR
All of the DLC that isn't grinding-related is free for the week it launches, which is more than what the Japanese players got.

*ALMOST all of the DLC... FTFY

Eldritch Hound is not free for the first week after it's released. Because of Reasons™.

Also, livestream is totally happening sometime next week. What time during the day is typically best for everyone?

I'm glad we're getting some free DLC, after all we're paying the Atlus tax.

Also, I might go back to it but I'm dropping Mystery Dungeon for now, I had fun but I just don't find the appeal compared to the usual EO game(I fully blame the stupidity of my AI team and how boss battles were easy as hell but took a million years). Still, I enjoyed my time with the game, I LOVED how stressful the game felt because you couldn't just reload your save file if things got ugly, if you did you'd lose your dungeon progress and a piece of gear for every adventurer in your party, I really wish that was present in more games.

Kirlia

Banned
For anyone who has played the JP version of Untold 2, how are War Magi? Are they improved from EO2, or am I better off sticking with a Medic?

For anyone who has played the JP version of Untold 2, how are War Magi? Are they improved from EO2, or am I better off sticking with a Medic?

I didn't use war magi in EO2 so I can't make a good comparison, but I liked them a lot in EOU2. They have heals that trigger once at beginning of turn and again at the end, which made them far more useful to me than medic since they were guaranteed to heal first. Other than heals though, most of their other skills and spells are single target. Offensive war magi are somewhat limited because their attacks/debuffs depend on having any ailment on the enemy, so you'll either have to spend a few turns using the ailment spell before attacking, getting someone else to cause an ailment while you do something else, or burn your force ability for 3 turns of worry free attacking. Of note is their final offensive skill, it does massive damage(770% damage modifier at level 10) if the enemy is inflicted with an ailment.

Nachos

*ALMOST all of the DLC... FTFY

Eldritch Hound is not free for the first week after it's released. Because of Reasons™.

Also, livestream is totally happening sometime next week. What time during the day is typically best for everyone?
Oh, whoops. Totally missed that. Anytime's fine with me for the stream, though.

They got weird. Atlus completely remade their skill set so that there aren't any shared skills between them and medics now, and a lot of their healing skills activate twice per turn, once at the start and again at the end. Here's a skill list if you want it. The names are direct translations, but the effects will pretty much be what they will in the English version.

PK Gaming

Well... I finally reached the end of the 2nd stratum, just before the boss.

The story is actually pretty intriguing. I'm super psyched for the deep city and the idea of things being "set in motion." Gosh, who says Etrian Odyssey has no story? People who don't know any better, that's who!

Other thoughts:

-Olympia, we trusted you I TRUSTED YOU
I swear to God if something happens to Agata or Mura... Mura something, TABLES WILL BE FLIPPED
FOEs ain't shit, my team is rocking... I think

To be honest, ny team is like lvl 23 but I don't feel prepared for the boss. Oh well, time to grind on FOEs...

Nachos

Well... I finally reached the end of the 2nd stratum, just before the boss.

The story is actually pretty intriguing. I'm super psyched for the deep city and the idea of things being "set in motion." Gosh, who says Etrian Odyssey has no story? People who don't know any better, that's who!

Other thoughts:

-Olympia, we trusted you I TRUSTED YOU
I swear to God if something happens to Agata or Mura... Mura something, TABLES WILL BE FLIPPED
FOEs ain't shit, my team is rocking... I think

To be honest, ny team is like lvl 23 but I don't feel prepared for the boss. Oh well, time to grind on FOEs...
If you think the story's interesting now, I can't wait until you beat the second boss. Hint for fighting it:
Having some way of reducing ice damage will be a big help.

And about your spoiler:
Who's Mura? Like, can you describe them? Also, did anything happen with Agata and Hypatia yet?

Rutger

Banned
I found EOIII to have the most interesting story personally. The story really isn't the reason why I play these games though.

Still, there's a charm to the minimalistic stories in the series.

PK Gaming

If you think the story's interesting now, I can't wait until you beat the second boss. Hint for fighting it:
Having some way of reducing ice damage will be a big help.

And about your spoiler:
Who's Mura? Like, can you describe them? Also, did anything happen with Agata and Hypatia yet?

Ahhh you're only stocking the flames. Really wanna beat that boss now.

It was Hypatia! The girl was Hypatia! So far Hypatia's been dreadin this dungeon pretty badly, and she told me to lie to Agata so I did, but he ran off like an asshole. Damn, I hope he doesn't get into trouble...

Man God

Non-Canon Member
III is the game where the story started to annoy me. Too much talking, ruining a good thing. The world is still neat enough though that it works. Then IV went waay too story heavy.

Zweizer

Banned
Yeah, I share this sentiment. Well, I still like EO2's storytelling the least, due to how similar it felt to the first game's, so I can appreciate that they're trying to change things up a bit with every subsequent installment.

I just find EO1's story magical in how much it manages to tell with how little it exposes.

Rutger

Banned
More talking isn't a bad thing, nothing wrong with fleshing out the characters.
Then again, I seem to be the only EO fan that thinks EOI's story is kind of bad, so whatever.

I could really care less about what they do with the story going forward so long as the dungeon designs continue to be about as good as III's and the combat as good as IV's. I'm not too worried on the dungeons, IV's were good, just too short, and PQ's were great. As for combat, while I still have to see the changes to grimoires in EOU2, hopefully they just bring back good old subclassing and have classes as well thought out as IV's.

I just want more info on EOV now. D:

Nachos

It was Hypatia! The girl was Hypatia! So far Hypatia's been dreadin this dungeon pretty badly, and she told me to lie to Agata so I did, but he ran off like an asshole. Damn, I hope he doesn't get into trouble...
This was in the second stratum?

omlet

Stream started.

EO2U stream happening at 4 p.m. PDT today! Hope to see you in chat :3

twitch.tv/atlususa

I have no account to login to chat with, but good to see you're on Expert mode :3

Edit: As for gear upgrades... on expert you will want to upgrade more often than on easier modes. My prioritization is usually tank armor > weaponry for weapon-based classes (so not casters) > armor for everyone else > weapons for everyone else (mages, healers).

I personally think the stream would have been more fun to watch if he had turned the difficulty down to normal. There is no reason to be so hardcore that you only play on expert...

omlet

I personally think the stream would have been more fun to watch if he had turned the difficulty down to normal. There is no reason to be so hardcore that you only play on expert...

If he hopes to show off at least the first boss, that's probably a good idea for the sake of time. Then again, there was a lot of talk, party member fiddling, etc. that would have taken the same amount of time on either difficulty... but going forwards, yeah, maybe tone down the difficulty or you'll be looking at probably close to 1 stream of this length per floor.

PK Gaming

Etrian bros, I need your help!

So i'm at the 3rd Stratum and my party is pretty rockin, but I can't decide on subclasses!

Current setup

Princess / Buccaneer / Hoplite
Ninja / Zodiac

I checked Gamefaqs, but most of the recommendations came from tryhards. I want efficient spreads, but I also want to have fun so i'm not necessarily looking for the most optimal setups. I guess i'm looking for subclass suggestions, if you have any.

omlet

For what you have to work with now, probably something like...

Princess/Monk
Buccaneer/Whatever
Hoplite/Ninja (for bunshin for extra line protection) or Princess (for Nobility Proof and/or Monarch March so your princess can save skill points)
Ninja/Zodiac
Zodiac/Whatever (mine used Ninja, but in your party it might be too crowded for that)

ohlawd

ayyy Binbougami ga is a great show

well, yeah I can agree with that. folks not familiar with Chrono Trigger might read the tag and think it's cool then they listen to the YT link. in turn, they get interested in the game and buy the game from PSN/VC/smartphone. YAY

Zweizer

Banned
I can't help but think that it's got a little bit of your usual feud against Mauricio mixed in it.

Nice tag either way. How did you get it?

ohlawd

buckle down, guys. it's story time.

Official Square Enix E3 Hype Video

it was all thanks to this thread. the video uses a terrible remix of Frog's Theme but it doesn't matter because the original is also bad.

I posted this

I totally forgot how awful Frog's Theme was

got tagged sometime after, my and other peoples' reactions were

lol post 130 lol

the tag is a quote by Frog. Magus is an antagonist of CT. not related to Mau-chan

Top Bottom