• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey Community Thread: The Ongoing Adventures of Fight and Heal

why are you calling me weird ;_;

I wasn't sure if I was ever gonna get around making multiple runs so I made sure I got the best possible one on my first go

You're supposed
to be like oh fuck I'm an asshole.... TWICE, and then try to fix up everything during your third run. You also missed on some nice items for the post game.

And I wouldn't call you weird, you're just crap.

PK Gaming

ScRR6.jpg

I still haven't chosen a side yet

PK Gaming

Ended up siding with Hoshido Armoroad because it's my true home, god damn it! (Plus the so called Shogun class seems hella sweet)

Speaking of the Shogun class... am I really going to have to grind a level 1 unit back up?

Anteo

Ended up siding with Hoshido Armoroad because it's my true home, god damn it! (Plus the so called Shogun class seems hella sweet)

Speaking of the Shogun class... am I really going to have to grind a level 1 unit back up?

Yes, unless you did the right thing at the begining of the game and got like 20 recruits with the skill that allows them to get exp while in the base camp

PK Gaming

Yes, unless you did the right thing at the begining of the game and got like 20 recruits with the skill that allows them to get exp while in the base camp

I did that, but they were all farmers

Wouldn't that not even work, considering you can't class change?

Usobuko

Banned
Easiest Etrian Odyssey for a 9 year old newcomer? My nephew is not very good at games and I had only played EO 1 on DS so I'm not familiar with the franchise.

Preferably the 2 'remake' one on 3DS that is story focused?

Nachos

bbl going to sleep for two weeks.
I'm always bummed when the Untold demos are always story mode-only because I'll inevitably restart on classic when I get the full game.

Easiest Etrian Odyssey for a 9 year old newcomer? My nephew is not very good at games and I had only played EO 1 on DS so I'm not familiar with the franchise.

Guess it depends on their skill level, but all of the 3DS games would be good. IV is the easiest game in the series overall, I think, but if you choose the easiest difficulty, you can't change after starting. Both Untold games let you change the difficulty anytime you're in town and give you three settings, on top of the story mode, if that's their bag.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
IV is by far the easiest game in the series. Beyond just simple fight mechanics it also has the simplest map designs of any game, with fewer complete floors.

Zweizer

Banned

IV is definitely the easiest one, though I don't know if it's still accessible enough to a 9 year old. As Nachos said, the first Untold would probably be less complicated overall.

Maybe Parakeetman could chime in on Untold 2's difficulty. If it's easier than the first Untold it might be the most appropriate one.

Usobuko

Banned
I think I'll get Untold for him just for the story aspect and the ability to switch difficulty. I'm not even sure if dungeon crawling is his cup of tea. I am just trying to expose to him as many genres as possible with his only gaming device, a 3DS.

Thanks btw.

So I just found out Untold 2 is only coming out in Australia in 2016. I don't know whether to be annoyed that I have to wait almost a year for the game, or to be relieved that its coming out at all.

Oh well, guess it gives me time to finish Untold. I made the mistake of starting that just after playing EO4 and got kinda burnt out.

PK Gaming

Goddamn I am loving EO3 right now.

I can totally see why people prefer this over EO4. There's just so much to love here and the class set is arguably better. I'm right before the 3rd Stratum boss, and I cannot wait to make that thing my bitch so I can unlock the shogun class.

Nachos

Goddamn I am loving EO3 right now.

I can totally see why people prefer this over EO4. There's just so much to love here and the class set is arguably better. I'm right before the 3rd Stratum boss, and I cannot wait to make that thing my bitch so I can unlock the shogun class.
Do you really think it'll be that easy?

PK Gaming

Do you really think it'll be that easy?

lmao

I walk in with the best equipment money can buy and literally maxed out my inventory with items

I go in feeling like a million bucks, like i'm on top of the world

Boss immediately vaporizes my entire party with a laser attack

o|-<

PK Gaming

So...

My new Shogun gal is super baller (she's doing crazy damage because I managed to get an expensive Katana and 5-ring sword is crazy) but she's a super low level. Are there any nifty ways of grinding her to catch up with the rest of the group? So far, i'm killing Greedy Lizards.

tuffy

So...

My new Shogun gal is super baller (she's doing crazy damage because I managed to get an expensive Katana and 5-ring sword is crazy) but she's a super low level. Are there any nifty ways of grinding her to catch up with the rest of the group? So far, i'm killing Greedy Lizards.
Do you have access to the Scylla sea quest - "For a Mutated Girl" in the Trade City Aeaea? If so, there's an easy RNG exploit that guarantees a lot of experience per run.
  1. go to Inver Port, select "Sea Quests" and save
  2. do a soft reset (L + R + start + select)
  3. go back to Inver Port, select "Sea Quests" and don't save
  4. select "Trade City of Aeaea" -> "For a Mutated Girl"
  5. put your Shogun gal in the front row
  6. at the start of battle select "Escape"
  7. the AI will insta-kill Scylla
  8. repeat as needed

Ugh still debating on whether I should pick up EO3 or not. I see it at my local mom and pop shop mocking me. It's $29.99 used. Any advice would be helpful.

Nachos

Ugh still debating on whether I should pick up EO3 or not. I see it at my local mom and pop shop mocking me. It's $29.99 used. Any advice would be helpful.

It's really fun, but assuming they make an Untold 3, it might just be best to wait for that, since it'll inevitably have class rebalancing, better interfaces, and hopefully a reworked subclass system, which will all be usable in classic mode.

EDIT: Also, can any of you think of a good title for the Untold 2 OT? I'm gonna have to start making it soon, since I'll be busy the week before release. All I can think of on the top of my head is "Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold |OT| The Fafnir Fight & Heal."

Zweizer

Banned

I'd personally pick it, because it'll be a long while before Untold 3 will come.

EDIT: Also, can any of you think of a good title for the Untold 2 OT? I'm gonna have to start making it soon, since I'll be busy the week before release. All I can think of on the top of my head is "Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold |OT| The Fafnir Fight & Heal."

The Fight & Heal of Lagaard? I dunno...

Sheik

So this has probably been asked before. I just bought Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl and I'm wondering what's the suggested mode to start off with, Classic or Story? I've never played an Etrian Odyssey game before and I'd probably value story over gameplay.

So this has probably been asked before. I just bought Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl and I'm wondering what's the suggested mode to start off with, Classic or Story? I've never played an Etrian Odyssey game before and I'd probably value story over gameplay.

Classic is better, even the story is better in freaking Classic mode.

Nachos

Well, I have good and bad news for you...

(But at least you aren't playing the original game.)
The Fight & Heal of Lagaard? I dunno...
Yeah, maybe I'll just ditch referencing the subtitle. That'd free me up a bit.

Story mode has more character-driven story but for some reason goes out of its way to undermine the overall plot from the original, while classic has no defined party members but keeps the twists intact. Just pick whichever sounds more appealing.

Zweizer

Banned

Story is better in Classic mode. Don't get fooled by the names.

Yeah, maybe I'll just ditch referencing the subtitle. That'd free me up a bit.

Ohohohoho~

Maybe someone else could come up with a better title.

I just hope the one for Untold 3 won't be The Drowned Fight & Heal. That'd be a bit... gruesome.

Sheik

Story is better in Classic mode. Don't get fooled by the names.

Story mode has more character-driven story but for some reason goes out of its way to undermine the overall plot from the original, while classic has no defined party members but keeps the twists intact. Just pick whichever sounds more appealing.

Thanks guys! Sounds like I'll be playing Classic mode then. I have no idea what to expect but I'm looking forward to finding out.

omlet

I would also recommend classic mode for reasons mentioned already. Yes, this gets asked often, so please refer to the FAQ in the OP for more details on what long-term impact the two game modes will have on your gameplay.

Top Bottom