• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey Community Thread: The Ongoing Adventures of Fight and Heal

I've finished everything I was currently playing (Xenoblade and Steins;Gate were looooong), so I'm gonna hop back in on EO3. Though I'm pretty sure I only did the first floor so I'm going to restart the game.

Zweizer

Banned
I think so? Did anyone ever solo Primevil?

I think I have seen vids of Solo Protector beating Primevil.

I've finished everything I was currently playing (Xenoblade and Steins;Gate were looooong), so I'm gonna hop back in on EO3. Though I'm pretty sure I only did the first floor so I'm going to restart the game.

There are a lot of people that seem to have trouble finishing EO3 for some reason. Heh.

spiritfox

Did you play Xenoblade on the 3DS? If so, how's it there?

There are a lot of people that seem to have trouble finishing EO3 for some reason. Heh.
Probably because it's a bad game.
I said probably

Did you play Xenoblade on the 3DS? If so, how's it there?

Very much playable. Never played the Wii version, but screens of it look a lot nicer but that's what you get when you take a console game and put it on a handheld. But yeah, other than looking a bit murky it was wonderful.

kagamin

I can't reliably say which is the best, only having beaten EO2, but I like what I've seen of EO4 (CURRENTLY IN 5TH STRATUM) and I plan on beating it soon.

Is EO3 worth playing?

I'm already playing EO4 and will play the untold games.

Wouldn't that burn me out?

Completely worth playing. But like anything else when you binge it. Take breaks in between.

3 is what sold me on the entire series and 4 is really what made the series an easy pick in any top ten list for hand held games when people ask for my recommendations.

Zweizer

Banned
Is EO3 worth playing?

EO3 is probably the most solid, but also radical game of the series.

I'd suggest you finish EO4 first, then see if you want more. Then I'd suggest you play EO3 before the Untold games.

spiritfox

Seriously though, EO3 is great, if a bit unbalanced due to subclassing. The classes are interesting and varied, and the dungeon design is more interesting than 4's. The ship minigame is eh but it gave us the Scylla exploit so I can't complain. The story is also pretty good, and I hope they try to do something like this again in another game. It'll certainly be something cool to revisit for EOU3.

Also Ninjas.

Seriously though, EO3 is great, if a bit unbalanced due to subclassing. The classes are interesting and varied, and the dungeon design is more interesting than 4's. The ship minigame is eh but it gave us the Scylla exploit so I can't complain. The story is also pretty good, and I hope they try to do something like this again in another game. It'll certainly be something cool to revisit for EOU3.

Also Ninjas.

All I want from EO3U is buffed Wildlings.

and for it to be the best game of all time.

ohlawd

I should do another run of III then. get in on that Warrior Might crap you guys ride. dunno if I can handle one of the routes tho. my heart is too fragile ;_;

I hate you even more than before, ohlawdy, because now I have to hear Frog's theme every single time I see you.

and it's awesome.

But yeah screw you.

much love, breh

ohlawd

Have some self respect and don't use WM.

but I don't respect myself

everyone says EOIII has the funnest classes/subs but which exactly are the borked among borked? educate me pls

what was my old team again?
B/G
H/N
G/A
Z/N
M/P

what else can I do? for starters, I guess I can use classes I haven't used before like Wildling and the route exclusives. and I'll try to have a main Princess instead of subbing her lolol

PK Gaming

I've only played IV, PQ, and maybe 65% of III, so I know my 2 cents don't count for much but...

EOIII definitely has the better classes. They're super unique, tons of fun and you can do a lot with them. The dungeon design is generally better and more creative, and the NPCs are loads of fun. I haven't finished the story, but it's legitimately intriguing.

But IV... Etrian Odyssey IV. The overworld, the upgraded visuals, the various mini-dungeons, the improved music, skill progression and legitimately intriguing story progression makes it one of my most beloved RPGs. I can definitely see why people prefer III over IV but...

IV was just so damn good for me. So damn good.

spiritfox

but I don't respect myself

everyone says EOIII has the funnest classes/subs but which exactly are the borked among borked? educate me pls

what was my old team again?
B/G
H/N
G/A
Z/N
M/P

what else can I do? for starters, I guess I can use classes I haven't used before like Wildling and the route exclusives. and I'll try to have a main Princess instead of subbing her lolol

G/S
S/B
S/B

:p

Warrior's Might is just silly fun.

ohlawd

I feel the same way

hell, I went back and read through the EOIV OT a second ago from when I first started playing the demo, to getting the full game then finishing it like a week later. got way too many good memories. and when the GotY 2013 voting thread popped up, I knew I had no choice but to make it my number one. shiet, the first sentence I wrote for EOIV was like "easily my GotY and nothing else comes close". something like that

omlet

EOIII definitely has the better classes. They're super unique, tons of fun and you can do a lot with them.
Like subclass them onto other classes to totally dilute class identity!

I guess I'm the 1% who puts EOIII at the bottom of the list (excluding OG EO1 which I never got more than a couple hours into). It's not a bad game by any means but it's my least favorite of the series due mainly to how much of a mess subclassing is and the sailing overworld system (which, to its credit, is nowhere near as bad as that abominable, sadistic, and otherwise horrible overworld map of SMTIV).

Even though it was fun to approach subclassing from a metagame/puzzle angle (full disclosure: I spent hours on the skill simulator messing with builds), it just still doesn't sit right with me that the subclassing system means the better class combos frequently end up being two classes that thematically don't jive at all. Like Hoplite/Ninja (I thought I had escaped /NIN when I quit FFXI!) or Shogun/Buccaneer (a samurai...with guns?) or Monk/Princess (wait, which are you, poverty or royalty?). Additionally, subclassing can totally change a character's role in the party sometimes, which on paper is cool, but in execution is something I didn't like. I mean, I guess some people like the idea of 5 farmer party with different subclasses to fill tank, healing, and damage roles (and I admit, the idea has a certain "lol" charm to it), but I'm not really a fan of that. Give me classes with a stronger role identity.

EOIII also has a nightmarish postgame. The postgame dungeons in all the games in the series dial things up, but despite the great atmosphere of EOIII's, it still feels like the most frustrating and exhausting one...
and the awesome but frustrating postgame boss that I never beat.

Dungeon design, music, class concepts and visual design (<3 Ninja and Princess especially), and story are all excellent in EOIII, but at the end of the day the bulk of the game is still dungeon crawling and party/character building and the other games do a better job on the latter.

I'd be quite interested in playing an EOIIIU if it got the remake treatment. Aesthetics- and story-wise, I think 3 is the least in need of a remake (of the DS games), but if EOIIIU happened and it did something to tighten the subclassing down just a bit, that would probably be a fantastic game.

This has been unpopular opinion time with omlet. Now back to your regularly scheduled olawd and Mauricio bickering.

Is EO3 worth playing?

Despite my nay-saying, EOIII is definitely worth playing! I would even second the recommendation to play it before the Untold games, but definitely take a break between them or yeah you will get burnt out.

Top Bottom