• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro Truck Sim 2 |OT| - it's like Elite, but in a big rig and in Europe

After the Scandinavia DLC came out I got rid of all map mods and have just been playing with the default world map now, it's large enough at this point that I'm happy with it. Currently trying to get the map 100% explored.

I did this for a while after World of Trucks jobs came out, but I found driving in Germany and England really boring, because the lower quality of the map is so obvious there. I'm currently running promods+rusmap and hard economy mod on my main profile, and that keeps things interesting both economy-wise and scenery-wise.

I'll definitely play tons of ETS2 after ATS comes out just because of the mods and content that is already there. The initial map of ATS seems like a good start, but it can't really compare to the years and years of custom content for ETS2. Hopefully SCS will push the DLC at a decent speed though. Nevada seems close to release in the leaked beta videos I've seen, and rumors say that Arizona is next up after that.

Anton668

ATS better have trailer truck stops with lot lizards.
ftfy

ETA:
images

DD

Decided to reinstall it back this weekend, and again I'm having a blast. The game also seems improved from what I remember. The funny thing is that I remember playing the demo some years ago - I don't remember if it was with the keyboard or my X360 controller - but I remember it was awful with it. The wheel was 0% or 100% turned, I had to drive in the "tap-tap" mode. Terrible. Anyway, a friend of mine borrowed me his wheel (an old Logitech Momo) and I grabbed the game, and had lots of fun with it. Then he got his wheel back and I uninstalled the game (since in my head it was impossible to play it without a wheel).

But now it just had the necessity to play it again and installed it back to try with the controller, and for my surprise, it works great! And now I regret not buying the Scandinavia add-on on discount few days ago. T-T And now I'm also in the ATS hype train.

DD

Expanded my crappy garage (it looks good now! :D), bought a second truck (which gave me a little heart attack, because for a moment I thought that I had exchanged my beloved Volvo for a weak ass [yet good looking] Renault), and hired an Asian driver. Expanding business. Let's see how it works out. :3

Anyway, does anyone know how to improve this game's IQ? I'm forcing MSAA 8X though AMD Crimson, yet it still looks like this:

227300_2016-01-09_0009ys1b.jpg

DD

A question for eurogaf: are the tolls absurdly high there like in this game? I mean, 70 effin' euros?!

DD

For trucks? Yes, they are. They tend to be a lot cheaper for normal cars.

I see...

Expensive as f*ck, yes, but that's Europe. It's almost like another world in therms of incomings and living costs.

Anyway, I finally bought the Scandinavian DLC 50% off on Nuuvem, but I'll wont be able to play it for a while. I'm excited nonetheless. I'll wait a little more for ATS. The price they set here is not as friendly as elsewere, unfortunately. I was planning to pick it day one, but I'll have my share of joy in Scandinavia. :p

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Anyway, I finally bought the Scandinavian DLC 50% off on Nuuvem, but I'll wont be able to play it for a while. I'm excited nonetheless. I'll wait a little more for ATS. The price they set here is not as friendly as elsewere, unfortunately. I was planning to pick it day one, but I'll have my share of joy in Scandinavia. :p

Enjoy Scandinavia, it's an awesome expansion that add's a lot to the game. I'll still play ETS2 now and then but for now ATS has me hooked.

DD

Enjoy Scandinavia, it's an awesome expansion that add's a lot to the game. I'll still play ETS2 now and then but for now ATS has me hooked.

I surely will! But only after the carnival, and when the effin' postal services decide to deliver my new VGA, since my last one died two weeks ago. ;(

What? How does that even connect? They also released the Hungarian paint jobs the same day.

It is a Turkish flag pack. 5 days before the anniversary of the genocide that the Turkish government vehemently denies. How does it not connect?

I know that the INTENT was not to offend, or hurt, but the timing is very poor.

It is a Turkish flag pack. 5 days before the anniversary of the genocide that the Turkish government vehemently denies. How does it not connect?

So you know they didn't intend to offend, and they didn't release it on a significant date. I fail to see the problem.

Mengy

Seriously? I think you might be reaching a bit there.... o_O

Jimrpg

Reposting from the Steam Sale thread which didn't get any response...

Just started Euro Truck Simulator 2 which I bought many moons ago.

How do you guys play it?

I've played a bit of Euro Truck 1 and its a bit different this time.

Firstly, do you guys play with speed limits and traffic fines? Should I turn them off and just make my deliveries as fast as possible. Obviously there's no wrong way to play it- just wondering what you guys do.

Secondly - should I take a loan to buy a truck? Or should I keep taking quick jobs until I can purchase with my own money? What's faster? Taking quick jobs - I need to take at least 20 jobs before I even make around 100k, which is the cheapest truck I can buy.

Thirdly - I just got the Scandinavia DLC, how do I access that area - seems like I haven't been offered any jobs going there. I believe I picked Germany as my starting country. Do I have to wait until I have my own truck to get jobs outside Germany?

Finally - what mods do you play with? (I had a look at ProMods 2.0 website this afternoon... looks awesome and will install it)... Any other mods you guys use?

Reposting from the Steam Sale thread which didn't get any response...

Just started Euro Truck Simulator 2 which I bought many moons ago.

How do you guys play it?

I've played a bit of Euro Truck 1 and its a bit different this time.

Firstly, do you guys play with speed limits and traffic fines? Should I turn them off and just make my deliveries as fast as possible. Obviously there's no wrong way to play it- just wondering what you guys do.

Secondly - should I take a loan to buy a truck? Or should I keep taking quick jobs until I can purchase with my own money? What's faster? Taking quick jobs - I need to take at least 20 jobs before I even make around 100k, which is the cheapest truck I can buy.

Thirdly - I just got the Scandinavia DLC, how do I access that area - seems like I haven't been offered any jobs going there. I believe I picked Germany as my starting country. Do I have to wait until I have my own truck to get jobs outside Germany?

Finally - what mods do you play with? (I had a look at ProMods 2.0 website this afternoon... looks awesome and will install it)... Any other mods you guys use?

I play with police on. I don't always play with speed limits on, but I seldom drive faster than speed limits. Usually my preferences goes toward realistic when I'm deciding how to play.

You should take a loan to buy your own truck. You get to earn money faster, you can start to get a bit more varied jobs, and you don't have to readjust your truck every job.

You'll get jobs based on what skills you have leveled and the businesses in the city you get it from. Putting a few points in long distance driving will give you some more options quickly. Same for putting one point in the different job type skills since they will unlock more types of cargo.

Promods also works with Rusmap, which gives you a huge world to explore. Make sure you have the Going East expansion as well, since both of these require it. Other than that there is a different incompatible map mod called Truck Sim Map that covers a lot of Spain, Greece, Italy and northern Africa. There are tons of different map projects out there at this point, and I am not really on top of them. Some work with other mods and some are stand alone. But I think Promods and TSM are still the biggest.

Anton668

World of Trucks - New Achievements To Hunt

We would like to do more to recognize the dedication of hardcore players who spend a lot of their time with our games. Behind the scenes, our World of Trucks back-end has already been able to gather quite some statistics and information about the job deliveries taking place on the system, and this gives us a great base and toolset to use for something new.

We are happy and proud that the number of drivers connected to our WoTr project is steadily growing. We know that truckers like to show off their accomplishments, their statistics, the distance driven and the volume and weight of jobs they have delivered with their mighty, devoted, diesel beasts. And how better to show what kind of a trucker you are than by hunting achievements?

So today we're adding some brand new achievements for all of you who've taken the time to connect their in-game profiles with our World of Trucks site

its achievements on the website not in game

MouldyK

The Roads of Vive La France!

Next week, we will make an anouncement regarding Vive la France! DLC which we believe will make Euro Truck Simulator 2 fans very happy. Until then, we have a picture to tease you with! :) It may actually answer some of the questions that we get bombarded with...

ViveLaFrance.jpg

Also, Amazon UK Listing which SCS has commented on Twitter about after someone told Amazon it's fake and SCS stated:

SCS Software‏ @SCSsoftware
@Puncake00 @AmazonHelp No need to. Also @Excalpublishing is the publisher.

So 9th December at £19.99 seems likely.

- Extensive map of France to explore
- Almost 20.000 km of new roads and highways
- Famous landmarks places and zones
- New 20 unique cities
- Rural French villages and sceneries
- Enhanced new vegetation models
- Artificial forest ecosystems
- Local companies to work for
- French tollgate system
- Brand new industries
- New cargoes

Mengy

Woah, a new area for ETS2? That's unexpected, but I'll be buying it of course, LOL! Though I have been playing ATS more lately.

MouldyK

Woah, a new area for ETS2? That's unexpected, but I'll be buying it of course, LOL! Though I have been playing ATS more lately.

It has been known about for quite some time lol. Scandinavia was 1.5 years ago now.

Also...you might have missed this from 2 weeks ago:

Open Beta for ETS 2 Update 1.26

The newly-built regions of France that make up the Vive La France! DLC look gorgeous, and this inspired us to also refresh the regions that were already present in the game from the very start. In the picture above, you can see the area of France which we have retouched - the area that you will already be able to experience in this Open Beta of course. It's not a total rework from scratch, but we believe that you will appreciate some very visible changes in the world; new models, new intersections and use of higher resolution textures in many places.

The main star of this map refresh is the city of Paris, which actually has been completely rebuilt to make it way more elaborate than before!

I'll be the News Reporter for the Truck Sim OTs here haha.

Wonder if the announcement is something interesting, or just the release date (which is sort of known already going by Amazon dates and SCS comments on Twitter). Also, I hope it launches with the Renault truck they have been talking about for ages.

Also, from the places I've checked out in France in the open beta this expansion looks like it is going to be pretty great. The dense forests and varied landscapes are already a small step beyond Scandinavia.

Mengy

Wow, it looks really good. SCS's map makers sure have improved over time. In fact the only bad thing about the DLC I can think of is that it's so good looking that it makes the original map area look crappy by comparison, lol.

Maybe they'll go back and revamp what is there. One could hope.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I always liked driving in France. The roads such a hot mess and/or rural. Makes it interesting for a semi.

Jimrpg

Just saw the new france DLC on the front page. Has anyone tried it yet? Is it worth it compared to Promods? I'm pretty sure Promods covers some of those cities in France.

Secondly I went back last week to play ETS2 and I was on an older version of the game, and 1.25 broke Promods and so I reinstalled it again, but now I'm pretty sure my FPS has taken a hit. I'm using an i5-4690k and GTX 1070. I'm hovering around 80fps, but i remember it being much higher. Has anyone else had fps issues with the game?

Btw why isn't something like Promods or the Rusmap on Steam Workshop, would make it a heck of a lot easier.

LordAmused

Btw why isn't something like Promods or the Rusmap on Steam Workshop, would make it a heck of a lot easier.

I think I read somewhere that it would be too large of a file to get it on the Workshop, plus they make money off the downloads from their website.

Jimrpg

I see.

Map mods that really open up the game like this would be a killer app/feature on the Steam Workshop.

At the same time we had that thing last year where Steam Workshop were going to sell items and there was a huge backlash against that. It could be the start of a slippery slope if they charge for items on the Steam Workshop so maybe its for the best for now to be on their own site.

Just saw the new france DLC on the front page. Has anyone tried it yet? Is it worth it compared to Promods? I'm pretty sure Promods covers some of those cities in France.

The quality of SCS France is above and beyond Promods, which is why the Promods team are going to incorporate it to their map (and probably add to it as well) over the next few months. One of the Promods guys said they wanted to have the first France DLC compatible version out by the end of the year, but I would expect it to take a bit more time than that.

I know it's a bit of a bump, but I figured it's the best place place to ask. Does anyone have/know of any mods that make the nights darker (and work with 1.26)? Driving at 2am and still being able to see with your headlights off is a bit weird.

Not exactly the thing you are asking for, but something like Frosty Winter Mod will make sunrise/sunset follow the winter schedule instead so that nights actually get dark. In the vanilla game, it uses the middle of the summer for it's sun schedule, so you never actually get dark nights at all for the most northern parts of the game.

Other than that I think there is a realistic graphics mod in the workshop that might help, but I haven't tried it myself so I can't vouch for it.

Not exactly the thing you are asking for, but something like Frosty Winter Mod will make sunrise/sunset follow the winter schedule instead so that nights actually get dark. In the vanilla game, it uses the middle of the summer for it's sun schedule, so you never actually get dark nights at all for the most northern parts of the game.

Other than that I think there is a realistic graphics mod in the workshop that might help, but I haven't tried it myself so I can't vouch for it.

Actually, that Winter mod might be a bit more interesting, considering it is Christmas and all that. Thanks for the tip.

ty_hot

Which version offers best value for the game? I used to play a pirated version of it but once I get a new laptop I will buy it on Steam (or somewhere else, if cheaper).

Should I get ET2 essentials? It includes ET2+Scandinavia+Going East+High Power Cargo and interior and wheels visual tunning pack. All for 14€. Is it a sale price (I could buy it now) or is it a normal price (I can wait)? I see that there is a France expansion that costs a other 15€ so Im sure waiting for it to drop in price.

Top Bottom