• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer/CVG Rumor: Sony to have new controller for PS4; CVG: PS4 unveiling in weeks

Beckx

I'm excited about this. In addition to the obvious - the Vita's d-pad - I'd be curious to see a small rear touchpad on the controller. Could be used for interesting things, like OS menu navigation via swipes.

Additionally, I'd love to see them copy & iterate on Mad-Catz' modular design for the MLG pro controller. Let the users choose where to place the analog sticks and the d-pad - everyone wins.

The biometric stuff is something harder to wrap my head around.

This was in relation to a patent titled 'Methods and Systems for Playing Video Games with a Controller Having a Display that Shares Content with a Main Display'. Ahem. It looked at the time from the diagrams etc. that they were talking about Vita or PSP <-> PS3/PS4 interaction but maybe that was just dancing around the real target.

I think that really was about vita since they've brought out content which does that since.
I'm interested mid air thumb detection, which the PS3 keypad accessory did to some level and appeared on xperia Sola. Knowing which button or where on a track pad your thumb is above before pressing it could be useful, although I'm sceptical about the patent's claim to prejudge an impending button press based on the thumb velocity or whatever they meant.

I can't comprehend why someone would want their sticks to be offset? It makes no sense to my brain. The 360 controller is comfortable to hold but I hate playing anything that requires both sticks because of that.

KAL2006

Banned
It makes every nongaming aspect loads better. I'm pretty sure MS and Sony will go for it one way or another.

It makes every controller more expensive, prone to damage, shitter battery life

I'd rather they go for SmartGlass, Apple Airplay route of just allowing Tablet, Smartphones or even Vita to connect to PS4 for media purposes. Majority of people own a smartphone these days.

Orayn

I can't comprehend why someone would want their sticks to be offset? It makes no sense to my brain. The 360 controller is comfortable to hold but I hate playing anything that requires both sticks because of that.

In either case, you're aiming with your right thumb in the less comfortable secondary position. Why is it a bad thing to have your left thumb in the more comfortable primary position?

Pyronite

So... 10 pages? Does anyone have anything useful to offer to this thread?

You're all a big user survey module. Sorry to admit.

entremet

Dualshock dpad is shit? My god what a terrible statement.

It's one of the best pads for fighting games so that will tell you right there its quite good. If you want a shitty dpad, look no further than MS dpads

Um no. That pad left me with blisters playing SSFIV. Same with DS1 and DS2 iterations, when playing most fighters not named Tekken. But for quarter circle, double quarter circle and half circle motions in SF/SNK games, it sucked big time. Arcade sticks 4 LYFE.

Has a touch screen and sensors??? How original!!

WiiU gamepad anyone....

The thing about the Gamepad is that consumers have to pay for it, which is why the Wii is struggling.

If Sony is gonna be eating big money on the hardware, and we don't have to pay for the "luxury" of a touchscreen then it might work.

1-D_FTW

Yeah, most people know about the D-pad, but I think the face buttons on the 360 controller are almost as bad as that.

Absolutely!

It's actually the thing I hate most about the controller. I'm kind of a spaz when I'm in the zone. And I tend to really press buttons hard. Those little hard pebbles are like rocks. I hate them. It's why I even went with the Razer Onza for a bit (clicky buttons).

The handgrips in back were very thin - the grips on the back of the duke were the size of a football.

This is making me want to dig out the Dreamcast again :p

Well, if nothing else, reading this I've learned that I need to test out a Vita D-pad.

Not sure if already mentioned, but Eurogamer has posted the story and says their own sources corroborate the information.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-01-18-sony-to-drop-dualshock-for-the-next-playstation-report

I'm not sure I'm clear if they mean the shape and layout were changing every month, or these specific features were.

I'm starting to wonder if I'll regret making all those jokes about Vitas being the controllers for the PS4.

Oddly enough I feel quite the opposite.

Even though the sticks on the DS3 are opposite each other, it just isnt comfortable to control for FPS' or third person games. Something about both wrists being twisted a little.

I never, ever play FPS' on the PS3 because of this. Last one I played I think was the MAG beta and it was an awful experience. It doesnt help that the sticks are a little too high, and where you place you thumb isnt inverted (if thats the right term), so your thumbs tend to slip off more than on the 360 controller.

Each to his own though. I'm sure if I was PS3 only for my gaming experiences i'd have got used to it by now, but going back and forth really shows its weaknesses to me.

They should add more buttons.

CxsLD.jpg

Orayn

Yeah, most people know about the D-pad, but I think the face buttons on the 360 controller are almost as bad as that.

It's actually the thing I hate most about the controller. I'm kind of a spaz when I'm in the zone. And I tend to really press buttons hard. Those little hard pebbles are like rocks. I hate them. It's why I even went with the Razer Onza for a bit (clicky buttons).

I don't mind their level of resistance, they just need to snap back more quickly like the Wii Classic Controllers. Those have the best face buttons ever.

The new console - codenamed Orbis - will be revealed in a matter of weeks, not months.
Best part of the OP!!!!111 It's gotta be GDC, right? But that would actually be "months" since it starts March 25, so maybe they have a conf before that. Seems a bit early if true

I cannot wait to see what the PS4 looks like... It may be my first Playstation I ever buy for myself

I only brought them as gifts for younger family members before never owned one... Time to jump in this coming winter

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
If there is anything more than a small touchscreen on the front, I do hope they have the good sense to include a camera on the back of the controller. Still scratching my head as to why Nintendo missed that opportunity.

BibiMaghoo

Hang on just a minute.

Several sources last year were adamant that only one new console was launching this year.

Everyone assumed that meant MS.

Does this now mean that in fact, it's the new Xbox that's launching next year?

That would be...unexpected.

I will take a look at it before judging, could be good. I hope the ds3 is compatible with the ps4 just in case though. Things i hope they changed

vita d-pad
Round L1 and R1 to make them more comfortable
reduce latency
bigger battery (not a huge deal current ds3 battery life is fine)

As far as screens go the only thing that would be good is off screen play but that it. Really not worth it because doing so would really hurt the vita. Also would cost alot where that money could be used on power or price reduction.

Bumhead

Banned

You don't need a user survey model.

The PlayStation controller has been around for more than 15 years at this point and is a staple of the gaming industry as we know it today, almost without alteration since it was first designed.

Some people will view changes to that as messing around with established history.

Some people will view changes to that as necessary evolution to get with the times.

Sony will know this and will do whatever they want in light of that, as they should. There's absolutely no way to please everybody in this scenario.

Hang on just a minute.

Several sources last year were adamant that only one new console was launching this year.

Everyone assumed that meant MS.

Does this now mean that in fact, it's the new Xbox that's launching next year?

That would be...unexpected.

both are rumored to launch this year.

Zoe

One game is a little different from an entire system.

Not really. Not when it comes to naming. Playstation has always used English words for its numbering. The "shi" thing is a non-issue.

If there's any reason they don't go with "four" it's to fall in line with the naming for the Vita.

That seems like an odd thing to say on a message board where people discuss video games.

Welcome to the world of message boards?

Best part of the OP!!!!111 It's gotta be GDC, right? But that would actually be "months" since it starts March 25, so maybe they have a conf before that. Seems a bit early if true

It could be at PlayStation Meeting or Destination PlayStation too, but for all what we know the PS4 definitely will be unveiled before E3.

Top Bottom