• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer/CVG Rumor: Sony to have new controller for PS4; CVG: PS4 unveiling in weeks

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
thank god. i seriously hate the dual shock - always have. really hope the analogues are more like the xbox design and offset. probably wishful thinking though.

curious about the changes mentioned too.

Pyronite

I spoke with a designer for [X Sony-centric developer here] last week who was asking how I felt about biometric sensors.

I compared them to the Wii Vitality Sensor. There may be more to this story than you know.

People do not read articles, apparently. The article clearly states that they're exploring letting the user use their PS3 controllers as a secondary controller option. There's a lot to gain, but nothing to really lose here.

Fox Mulder

Make it bigger. The dual shock feels like a little toy in my American man hands. At least adding the rumble back in added some weight, the six axis felt like I was holding and empty beer can.

test_account

XP-39C²
As long as it is just as good as the PS3 controller, i dont mind the change. I'm mostly worried that they will do motion controls and/or asymetrical analog sticks.

I love the 360 controller (except the d-pad of course, what a piece of shit). I always hated the analog stick placement of the ps2/3 controller. It was a great controller on the ps1 but when they added the analog sticks it just felt awkward. It'll be interesting to see what they come up with.

glaurung

ggl04.jpg

Make it bigger, add R2/L2 and clickable analog sticks and we have a winner.
I don't like this direction.

holding the WiiU gamepad feels really bad for me. The face buttons are really far apart, as are your hands when holding it.

Vita is smaller though, so it might feel OK.

Do they just mean they're changing analog placement (or similar superficial things), or that they're doing something that is not a conventional controller? Because there's no reason they can't just change a few things around and call it the Dualshock 4.

Arucardo

As long as it has the Vita d-pad, the analogue sticks aren't next to each other (stuff like NHL is much better on a 360 controller because of this) and has decent triggers.

Dabanton

Good.

It's good for certain types of games but FPS style ones especially without the attachable triggers were an awful experience.

Hypatia

How is it a mutated SNES abomination?

Since it was originally meant to be an addon for the SNES the base PS controller is a SNES controller but with handle grips.

Then they just added dual sticks to the design.... and later rumble and triggers and motion control but at it's core it's based on the SNES controller.

tha_devil

ggl04.jpg

Make it bigger, add R2/L2 and clickable analog sticks and we have a winner.

This would be totally awsome!

However, this would mean no move intergration since you can not split a screen in half (but i wouldnt really mind, better to keep move seperate imho)

Z3M0G

No no no no no no no no no...

I understand why people liked the placement of the left analog above the d-pad, concave sticks, more ergonomic shape, and properly curved triggers on the 360 controller.... but to me those are semantics and the rest of the controller is definitely below the DS3 in build/design.

Will they remove tilt and pressure-sensitive face buttons? I could understand if they do... 1% of games this gen used those features, and certainly no multiplatform titles... but they are features that could have / should have improved how we play.

What's with everyone wishing for offset analogs? I don't get it. It may be comfortable for you but it just doesn't work for me and I imagine for anyone else who has been using PlayStation as their main console for two decades now.

Would be fine if they made an official offset controller as an option but the one that comes shipped with the console needs to be lined up.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
The new console - codenamed Orbis - will be revealed in a matter of weeks, not months.
Very exciting. And yeah, I hope they don't go overboard with the PS Vita-type touch pads in the new controller.

Acosta

I'm scared...

Between Xbox Kinect shenanigans, Nintendo with its tablet and Sony doing experiments with gods know what I feel like there is not going going to be a damned normal pad next gen.

Somnid

I'm for it. Just like with Kinect 2.0 or whatever I'm still skeptical at the abilities of devs to produce software that pushes it. Especially when you're 3rd party driven these guys want portability over innovation and aren't likely to go crazy. Sony's internal studios I have little confidence in. Eyetoy blew, SIXAXIS was abandoned in a hurry and not a lot of Vita games effectively use the back track pad.

DaBuddaDa

I'm scared...

Between Xbox Kinect shenanigas, Nintendo with it´s tablet and Sony doing experiments with gods know why I feel like there is not going going to be a damned normal pad next gen.

With the widespread adoption of the Xbox 360 pad as the default for PC gaming, that style isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Don't be "scared."

legacyzero

Banned
As long as it can be as comfy, if not more comfy as a 360 controller, it'd be awesone.

Oh and hell no to the boomerang.

Noi

As long as it keeps the DualShock's analog stick placement, I'm down. I don't feel comfortable with either the 360 or the Wii U'd placement of the analog sticks.

I'm guessing it will be a dual shock but updated. Better ergonomics, better triggers and some other bells and whistles. They won't be abandoning the core ds design.

Omikaru

I won't be too upset if the classic PlayStation controller is ditched, but I hope it's not just a carbon copy of the 360 controller. The d-pad sucks, the face buttons give me blisters on my thumbs, and the L-R bumper buttons are flimsy and shit.

Great analog stick and triggers, however.

Korigama

Provided it's absolutely nothing like the 360 controller (was very disappointed to see Nintendo of all people aping it with the Wii U Pro), I may or may not be receptive to the idea (the floppy L2/R2 triggers are the only problem I see with the DS3). Granted, I've never liked the 360 controller at all.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
This is the one time I'd be 100% on board for them ripping off the Xbox controller and adding a better d-pad. If both systems had similar controllers I'd love it.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Do they just mean they're changing analog placement (or similar superficial things), or that they're doing something that is not a conventional controller? Because there's no reason they can't just change a few things around and call it the Dualshock 4.
Motion baby

Bring on the boomerang! Always wanted to try that thing.

edit: Actually, looks like they're making a Wii U Pad ripoff. For some weird reason i'm surprised.

Nizz

Not too thrilled about this rumor but I'll wait till the controller is unveiled to judge it. All I really wanted from a Dualshock 4 was basically a wireless Dualshock 2.

Top Bottom