• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Eurogamer\DF] Orbis Unmasked: what to expect from the next-gen PlayStation.

I want the simplest and fastest OS possible, with the fewest ads and distractions in my way.

I want the opposite. I want an extremely busy OS with it promoting all kinds of new content and other things. I also want it fast, boot up to dash to in game shouldn't take more than 15 seconds.

regarding the OS, I want it promote all kinds of new content, from the latest games releases, to sales, to promotions and other things. I want it to be a one stop shop for all my needs through that console. I don't want to have to check various sites to see what's on sale or read official blog posts. I want to turn on the console and be presented with a window / banner telling of me all the latest deals available on any given day.

enough with the games console should only be about games. to follow this road is to doom the console market, especially as more and more devices are fast becoming one stop shops for all your needs.

Not going to happen.

I may end up buying a new video card for my PC and keeping my PS3 and Wii U.

Gemüsepizza;46626293 said:
If the PS3 and PS Vita is any indication, the PS4 will probably have such an OS, more or less .

I hope you're right.

Gemüsepizza;46626293 said:
As far as I know, the speed of mass storage (HDD or Blu-ray) is what's limiting loading times. Would be nice if we can swap the HDD for a faster one, now that SSDs with high capacities are getting really cheap.

I like your style. I'm all for that.

Oemenia

Banned
FreeBSD like in the PS3 for the game side and a "simplier" Linux for the Application side of the PS4. That's what I understand.

PS4 rumored to have other OS Linux support and at PS4 release a firmware update to the PS3 will enable Other OS Linux support.

http://sonyps4.com/os-support-feature-banned-and-the-ps4/

The first part, providing Linux support as Other OS in the PS4 makes sense as it did with the PS3, an effort to expose heterogeneous computing and Cell and with the PS4, to expose AMD's Open Source HSA and OpenCL to as many programmers as possible.

The second part, enabling other OS support for the PS3 would be a marketing (sales) effort or perhaps support for Linux.

Intel is behind Wayland/Westin 1.0 composition layer (using Cairo) instead of Xwindows due in a few months then GTK rewrites to optionally eliminate Xwindows GDK calls. Latest Linux kernel has now absorbed the Google Android Linux kernel changes that didn't use Xwindows (Tim Bird of Sony) and optimized to support embedded lower resource platforms. Latest Linux kernel is now smaller and faster. Rewrite for Glib to use Android D-Buss routines and more to make it faster and smaller. Combine them all and you have a smaller eLinux platform like Tizen or a optimized Gnome Mobile that can also be used for desktop.

In AMD presentations there are references to DRM (Blu-ray) and built-in control points. A special "simpler" Linux kernel could limit features. I don't know how this will play out.
Hey jeff, what are the chances that Linux could return to the PS3, what do you make of it?

Wat? MDK2 was incredible... And difficult.

I thought it was terrible, to be honest. Have you played the first game? Everything that was good about it was watered down in the sequel, and the gameplay additions (stronger focus on puzzles, platforming and that godawful orb sniping) just diluted the gleefully pure shooting experience of the original.

Reiko

Banned
I thought it was terrible, to be honest. Have you played the first game? Everything that was good about it was watered down in the sequel, and the gameplay additions (stronger focus on puzzles, platforming and that godawful orb sniping) just diluted the gleefully pure shooting experience of the original.

I own it.

MDK and MDK2 were 2 different beasts though.

This post is ridiculous.

Do I need to remind you that the PS4's rumored specs are around 10X that of the PS3 currently?

And PS3 produced Uncharted 2 & 3.

Agni's Philosophy will easily be exceeded on PS4 by Sony's own studios.

Can you explain why you think, and why many think that Sony's own studios are somehow the most technically able studios in the world?

Because in the PS2 and PS1 days, when everybody was coding for them as the base target (lowest common denominator) 3rd parties were competing at same level and even surpassing them (same as Xbox 360). Xbox exclusives were the benchmark (Ps2 gen), not unlike the situation with PS3 exclusives.

If we look at history, 1st party Sony just plainly took advantage of more capable hardware. If it happened that (doubt it) next gen roles switch (Ps3 -> Durango, Xbox 360 -> Orbis), then you can expect MS exclusives to look better.

nib95

Banned
I want the opposite. I want an extremely busy OS with it promoting all kinds of new content and other things. I also want it fast, boot up to dash to in game shouldn't take more than 15 seconds.

regarding the OS, I want it promote all kinds of new content, from the latest games releases, to sales, to promotions and other things. I want it to be a one stop shop for all my needs through that console. I don't want to have to check various sites to see what's on sale or read official blog posts. I want to turn on the console and be presented with a window / banner telling of me all the latest deals available on any given day.

enough with the games console should only be about games. to follow this road is to doom the console market, especially as more and more devices are fast becoming one stop shops for all your needs.

Wow, I don't think I've come across anyone who actually loves being barraged with ads and cluttered UIs. There's a special deals page for that kind of thing. I want my OS clean, slick, simple and artistic. Any advertising or offers should be in self contained areas, not shoved down my throat.

Can you explain why you think, and why many think that Sony's own studios are somehow the most technically able studios in the world?

Because in the PS2 and PS1 days, when everybody was coding for them as the base target (lowest common denominator) 3rd parties were competing at same level and even surpassing them (same as Xbox 360). Xbox exclusives were the benchmark (Ps2 gen), not unlike the situation with PS3 exclusives.

If we look at history, 1st party Sony just plainly took advantage of more capable hardware. If it happened that (doubt it) next gen roles switch (Ps3 -> Durango, Xbox 360 -> Orbis), then you can expect MS exclusives to look better.

Given that the hardware is supposed to be similar for both systems, Sony's developers definitely get the benefit of the doubt because they're tech wizards. I don't see anyone surpassing Naughty Dog, Santa Monica, or Guerilla in particular.

dr_rus

512MB of RAM is actually a lot. Win XP for example needed only 128MB of RAM. You can do a whole lot with that much memory.
Yep. 512 MB for a console OS is a rather large number. I expect them to cut it down to 256 in updates.
But still, going with 4 GBs against 8 GB + eDRAM in Durango seems like a very bad idea.

Also in no fucking way an 8 core ultramobile CPU and a cut down Pitcairn (one year old mainstream PC GPU) is a "moster machine". Control your expectations people. It is probably the best you can achieve within a $399 price tag without going into loss too much but that's it, it's not a "monster" and it is already outperformed by todays PC hardware.
From these specs I'm expecting to get current top end PC graphics in 1080p or better than that in 720p on Orbis, that's it. And PCs will push past this into 4K territory quite soon.

Considering the days of third party exclusivity are over, I'd expect Sony's internal studios to get the best results on their hardware and MS on theirs.

Internal studios are targeting a single platform generally are given reasonably large budgets and team sizes. And they have dedicated support studios within to assist in development and tools I believe e.g. Sony's ICE team.

512MB of RAM is actually a lot. Win XP for example needed only 128MB of RAM. You can do a whole lot with that much memory.

I'm finding it best to generally ignore these people posting stuff like the one you quoted.
Its just because MS has more and because despite this the Xbox looks comparatively lesser on the hardware front, some people are making out that so much RAM for the OS is a good thing.

The Durango RAM worries me that MS is either building in Kinect support or bundling the Kinect with the Xbox. Seems pretty foolish; certainly its a big 'abnormal' amount, no matter all the features they put in the device, end of the day the 360 is very able as is.

Considering the days of third party exclusivity are over, I'd expect Sony's internal studios to get the best results on their hardware and MS on theirs.

I've no idea why anyone would doubt this.

Massa

Wow, I don't think I've come across anyone who actually loves being barraged with ads and cluttered UIs. There's a special deals page for that kind of thing. I want my OS clean, slick, simple and artistic. Any advertising or offers should be in self contained areas, not shoved down my throat.

It's called Stockholm syndrome.

Given that the hardware is supposed to be similar for both systems, Sony's developers definitely get the benefit of the doubt because they're tech wizards. I don't see anyone surpassing Naughty Dog, Santa Monica, or Guerilla in particular.

Maybe it's an age thing, but they definitely don't get the benefit of the doubt from me because I have 0 reasons to believe they are technical wizards. I've already pointed out previous generations, but if you want I can always point out to the fact that devs who look to take advantage of more powerful hardware than the PS3, have produced better looking games than Sony's 1st party studios.

There's a lot of talented people out there in the dev community, spread to studios across the globe. People are out of their minds if they think that Sony just managed to hire them all. Again either look at history or at current reality.

Reiko

Banned

Well there's 343i, Turn 10, and Playground Games. As far as I know.

You should have included Polyphony Digital for Sony.

Well there's 343i, Turn 10, and Playground Games. As far as I know.

You should have included Polyphony Digital for Sony.
Despite their development hell with The Last Guardian, iirc, Shadow of the Colossus was pushing the tech envelope on the PS2 although that resulted in a terrible frame rate.

If one targets sub 720/900p with no antialiasing, tessellation, or other dynamic options at 30-40 fps, then yes.

The same applies for Agni's Philosophy and Samartian Demos. They will NOT be at the same level as what we saw in the videos last year, neither in frames nor graphical quality.

So Crysis 2 can run on very high settings at 1080p and 60fps, but Crysis 3 will have to be severely gimped to run at 30-40 fps? lol ok

Mario007

Maybe it's an age thing, but they definitely don't get the benefit of the doubt from me because I have 0 reasons to believe they are technical wizards. I've already pointed out previous generations, but if you want I can always point out to the fact that devs who look to take advantage of more powerful hardware than the PS3, have produced better looking games than Sony's 1st party studios.

There's a lot of talented people out there in the dev community, spread to studios across the globe. People are out of their minds if they think that Sony just managed to hire them all. Again either look at history or at current reality.
Sony's big first party push came only this gen. However, would you mind enlightining us what games from third party developers look better than what SSM or ND put out this gen?

And saying third party studios put out a better looking game than GoW2 on the PS2 is also pretty ridiculous.

iceatcs

It's called Stockholm syndrome.

Nah it is End-of-gen syndrome is a mood disorder in which people who have normal mental health throughout most of the game generation experience year after year. Some people experience a serious mood change when the generation has been too long. They may sleep too little, have heat energy, and may also feel depressed. Though symptoms can be severe damage mental health, they usually clear up when next generation arrive.

Violater

KuGsj.gif

If ND and GG were able to squeeze that much blood out of the stone that is the Cell and that shitty split memory architecture. Imagine what they will do with the raw power they are going to have now.

Reiko

Banned
Sony's big first party push came only this gen. However, would you mind enlightining us what games from third party developers look better than what SSM or ND put out this gen?

And saying third party studios put out a better looking game than GoW2 on the PS2 is also pretty ridiculous.

You mean Metal Gear Solid 2?
Onimusha 3?
Silent Hill 3?
Tekken 5?
Final Fantasy X?

Is this a joke post?

misterF

Neo Member
Sounds like extreme reaching, exclusives can and will exist regardless of hardware parity.
What do you mean I'm reaching? You said this gen's consoles were "3rd party port machines" which is a weird thing to say considering all the exclusive 3rd party games both consoles got.

So they should collude with each other on hardware specs because it "forces them to be more creative to differentiate themselves". . . Let's be as similar as poss hardware wise so we can be more different? Doesn't make sense. I don't see that being in their mandate when deciding on specs.
Again, you miss the point. I wasn't talking about Sony and Microsoft colluding, I don't even really care what they think they should do. From the consummer point of view, both consoles being similar allows the buyer to choose the console based on 1st party games and services offered(PSN/XBOX Live, apps, interface, etc...) instead of being forced to buy the console that gets the best ports.

it would obviously have to be stylish and designed / laid out in a way that doesn't make it seem cluttered.

regarding ads. I guess it depends by what people mean. I don't want ads for mountain dew or other non game related ads, but I would like more promotion of content, especially from sony.

I know I can check blog posts and the like, but I've long wanted to just be able to turn my console on and see exactly what's on sale and what new games are available. microsoft already do this, but I want sony to learn from themand follow in their footsteps. even microsoft could do more to promote new releases as well as old content.

some people consider those ads and while they are technically correct, I disagree that they are the same ads as those for something like mountain dew or something that isn't available directly for the console.

meta4

No one says Sony has the monopoly on great coders but it is a fact that this gen they have pushed some of the best looking games on the platform. Coding for the PC platform ( if that's what you mean by powerful platform )means nothing in the scheme of things. Hell even dev's like Ninja Theory could make a game for PC better looking than what SSM achieves on the PS3 if they so want. Guys like SSM,ND are experts at coding for closed boxes. Think of the best looking games this gen and you will see that list dominated by first party stuff. If you dont think the guys at SSM, ND are coding wizards than I dont know what else to say but just look at the examples this gen.

The only scenario I see a situation of Sony first party not dominating the great looking games list this coming gen is if orbis is significantly weaker instead of being on par with 720, A specific few third parties like DICE, Crytek can obviously get into the list as well but among third parties very few are known for pushing tech like the above two studios. Rockstar is one as well. I almost forgot..

iceatcs

Steam advertises on the front page and every time you click on a game a trailer loads up.

Ads increase awareness and sales, both of which are good for the industry.
Yeah that's was pretty annoy. First slideshow picture is a video. Come on! I don't think I ever done window shopping on Steam. I bought it for name or price.
Hopefully Steam will continue major update in one day.

Steam advertises on the front page and every time you click on a game a trailer loads up.

this is exactly what I'm talking about. there needs be a lot of promotion of content to raise awareness. not everyone wants to or knows about official blogs and the like, the console is the only outlet they have, so this needs to be improved considerably, especially by sony who do nothing to promote content or sales on their platform.

Reiko

Banned
this is exactly what I'm talking about. there needs be a lot of promotion of content to raise awareness. not everyone wants to or knows about official blogs and the like, the console is the only outlet they have, so this needs to be improved considerably, especially by sony who do nothing to promote content or sales on their platform.

The ads on XBL have helped greatly in getting XBLA games noticed.

stryke

But Steam is not an OS, it's an online store. You'd expect it to have ads left, right and centre.

I don't have a 360 but I get the impression the OS is laced with ads, whether you paid for gold or not.

i honestly could not give a shit if orbis was underpowered compared to durango or vice versa if the games on both platforms look like the agnis tech demo.

i mean who cares whether someone has 4 x aa or 8 x aa, or slightly different particle effects when the game looks that good already anyway. pixel counters and nerds thats who.

Yep. 512 MB for a console OS is a rather large number. I expect them to cut it down to 256 in updates.
But still, going with 4 GBs against 8 GB + eDRAM in Durango seems like a very bad idea.

Also in no fucking way an 8 core ultramobile CPU and a cut down Pitcairn (one year old mainstream PC GPU) is a "moster machine". Control your expectations people. It is probably the best you can achieve within a $399 price tag without going into loss too much but that's it, it's not a "monster" and it is already outperformed by todays PC hardware.
From these specs I'm expecting to get current top end PC graphics in 1080p or better than that in 720p on Orbis, that's it. And PCs will push past this into 4K territory quite soon.

Eh if true PS4 specs are rather good. Rather it could best whatever you can throw in a PC tower doesnt change that one way or the other. What this also means is that launch games should be BF3 high in 1080p, at higher than 30FPS. A spec many PC elitist claimed impossible. I shouldn't have to explain the jump from launch software to 3rd or 4th gen.

Came only this gen? Do you even know how long some of these studios have been under Sony's wing?

This is absolutely ridiculous. Sony always had a bunch of games!

To your question: I've read my post again. I don't see how the question relates to what I said.

Well for you is ridiculous, for me and a lot of people MGS3 looks better than God of War 2 for example.

amar212

i honestly could not give a shit if orbis was underpowered compared to durango or vice versa if the games on both platforms look like the agnis tech demo.

i mean who cares whether someone has 4 x aa or 8 x aa, or slightly different particle effects when the game looks that good already anyway. pixel counters and nerds thats who.

Damn hippie.

KuGsj.gif

If ND and GG were able to squeeze that much blood out of the stone that is the Cell and that shitty split memory architecture. Imagine what they will do with the raw power they are going to have now.

Ain't that great. You put a lol in there and add a not related spice and you get a post full of nothing.

No one says Sony has the monopoly on great coders but it is a fact that this gen they have pushed some of the best looking games on the platform. Coding for the PC platform ( if that's what you mean by powerful platform )means nothing in the scheme of things. Hell even dev's like Ninja Theory could make a game for PC better looking than what SSM achieves on the PS3 if they so want. Guys like SSM,ND are experts at coding for closed boxes. Think of the best looking games this gen and you will see that list dominated by first party stuff. If you dont think the guys at SSM, ND are coding wizards than I dont know what else to say but just look at the examples this gen.

I just gave you multiple reasons for what you're saying now. On the back of that, Bungie/Ubisoft Montreal/Team Ninja etc would've been the "tech wizards" going into this gen. I mean look at the amount of "blood" they squeezed out of a platform with shit bandwidth and 64 MB of ram man! Splinter Cell Chaos Theory actually happened.

The hardware plays a significant factor.

nib95

Banned
it would obviously have to be stylish and designed / laid out in a way that doesn't make it seem cluttered.

regarding ads. I guess it depends by what people mean. I don't want ads for mountain dew or other non game related ads, but I would like more promotion of content, especially from sony.

I know I can check blog posts and the like, but I've long wanted to just be able to turn my console on and see exactly what's on sale and what new games are available. microsoft already do this, but I want sony to learn from themand follow in their footsteps. even microsoft could do more to promote new releases as well as old content.

some people consider those ads and while they are technically correct, I disagree that they are the same ads as those for something like mountain dew or something that isn't available directly for the console.

Game stores, such as XBL Marketplace, Steam and Playstation Store are for that. You go there to purchase games and it makes sense you'd get lumbered with ads promoting them. The OS and home screen however is not and should not be for that.

velociraptor

I wouldn't mind game-related ads. But to see other bullshit that is plastered on the Xbox dashboard is not something I want to see.

The ads on XBL have helped greatly in getting XBLA games noticed.

absolutely, we need to see more of this from both but especially sony. sony have had some amazing digital games this generation and they've done nothing to promote them on an os level. it's terrible and something they seriously need to correct.

But Steam is not an OS, it's an online store. You'd expect it to have ads left, right and centre.

I don't have a 360 but I get the impression the OS is laced with ads, whether you paid for gold or not.

it depends on what you consider ads. this is what my dashboard looks like.

I really only see one that I'd consider a proper ad, the rest are promoting or advertising content to make consumers aware of what's available. it needs to be improved, but it's a start.

Came only this gen? Do you even know how long some of these studios have been under Sony's wing?

This is absolutely ridiculous. Sony always had a bunch of games!

To your question: I've read my post again. I don't see how the question relates to what I said.

Well for you is ridiculous, for me and a lot of people MGS3 looks better than God of War 2 for example.

in the ps2 days, developers like ND, SSM, SCE japan (team ico) and PD were creating some of the best looking games on the system.
in the ps3 it hasn't been that different. SSM, ND, PD, GG and SP (to a degree) have also made some of the system's most gorgeous games.

Respawn

Banned
But what about the GPU?

I'm running a 7970m.
If the PS4 has an underclocked version. Wouldn't that be kinda disappointing?

Please read the tech and understand the difference between a closed console and a PC.

Incorporated into a design dedicated to cutting-edge visuals and gameplay, this hardware has some serious potential

in Orbis and we can disclose details on one of the more interesting additions. Paired up with the eight AMD cores, we find a bespoke GPU-like "Compute" module, designed to ease the burden on certain operations - physics calculations are a good example of traditional CPU work that are often hived off to GPU cores. We're assured that this is bespoke hardware that is not a part of the main graphics pipeline but we remain rather mystified by its standalone inclusion, bearing in mind Compute functions could be run off the main graphics cores and that devs could have the option to utilise that power for additional graphical grunt, if they so chose.

Reiko

Banned
in the ps2 days, developers like ND, SSM, SCE japan (team ico) and PD were creating some of the best looking games on the system.
in the ps3 it hasn't been that different. SSM, ND, PD, GG and SP (to a degree) have also made some of the system's most gorgeous games.

Aside from Team Ico and PD... Capcom, Namco, and Konami were producing some serious technical marvels on PS2.

They were exclusives, just not from first party devs.

velociraptor

It is good to have subjective opinions.
Graphically, GT3 and GT4 blew me away. I would still consider them in the 'top 10 looking PS2 games'.

GT5 however doesn't look great.

Trackside detail is AWFUL. They've used the exact same track as GT4 and have reskinned them. Field of view is terrible, compared to Forza.

Plus points - highly detailed cars, best cockpit views, lighting.

GT6 looks fantastic in trailers - better than everything I've seen.

I don't know about you, but I expected more from PD with GT5. I hope with GT6 they bring out all the graphical guns - day/night for every track, motion blur, depth of field, increased FOV, INCREASED TRACKSIDE DETAIL, better lighting, 60FPS, 1920x1080p, 4xAA.

Top Bottom