• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: Lego City could blow the franchise wide open/save the WiiU [Dont port beg]

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Review discussion is weird. If it's a popular, known publication giving a high score, people moan about them being overrated and inflating scores. If it's a low score, it's a big deal and totally trustworthy. Never mind every smaller website is completely ignored and their opinion rendered moot, because big name publications are the only ones to trust, right? Or maybe it's that you only trust them when they suit an agenda or predetermined opinion. I'm not sure.

Either way, review diversity is more important than any one individual review unless you know the specific writer like the back of your hand and agree with everything they say. Look at ZombiU. Defined "mixed reviews" to a T, yet despite the numerous low scores ended up on my top ten 2012 GOTY list. Because it's fucking awesome.

My big concern with Undercover is if the gameplay stays overly simplistic. Spread out over an entire sandbox experience, that could become tiring pretty damn quickly. I like my sandbox games to either be short and tightly designed (see: Sleeping Dogs), or large with a good sense of diversity and experimental play. What I saw of Undercover wasn't enough to gauge the game as going either direction. So I guess we'll see.

I do think people should maybe reel their expectations in a little. Especially people throwing around Lego Island comparisons and what-not. Much like TT Fusion's other Lego games, this isn't one where you get to meticulously construct objects, vehicles, buildings and whatever else. It's still mostly just an action adventure game stylised like Lego.

i thought 5 in edge just meant average (despite the shock of aliens somehow managing that much)

It probably does technically.

But like(in EGM for example) a game scoring a "5", it doesn't mean average to the readers/gamers.

Or at least it never did to me.

Or maybe I myself put a negative connotation on the word "average" more than it should have because of my standards.

i thought 5 in edge just meant average (despite the shock of aliens somehow managing that much)

On their scale it's supposed to mean 'average', yes. The problem here is that people were expecting/hoping that this game would be more than average and provide a title that would pull the Wii U out of its sales rut. Doesn't look like that's going to happen. Next savior is Pikmin, I believe, but that's hardly been a system seller in the past. So realistically we're looking at Mario Kart.

You're missing the point though, this is all to pass the time as we are alll waiting for eatchildren.org's review to make a rational conlusion on the game.

6 beards out of 10

Review discussion is weird. If it's a popular, known publication giving a high score, people moan about them being overrated and inflating scores. If it's a low score, it's a big deal and totally trustworthy. Never mind every smaller website is completely ignored and their opinion rendered moot, because big name publications are the only ones to trust, right? Or maybe it's that you only trust them when they suit an agenda or predetermined opinion. I'm not sure.

Either way, review diversity is more important than any one individual review unless you know the specific writer like the back of your hand and agree with everything they say. Look at ZombiU. Defined "mixed reviews" to a T, yet despite the numerous low scores ended up on my top ten 2012 GOTY list. Because it's fucking awesome.

My big concern with Undercover is if the gameplay stays overly simplistic. Spread out over an entire sandbox experience, that could become tiring pretty damn quickly. I like my sandbox games to either be short and tightly designed (see: Sleeping Dogs), or large with a good sense of diversity and experimental play. What I saw of Undercover wasn't enough to gauge the game as going either direction. So I guess we'll see.

I do think people should maybe reel their expectations in a little. Especially people throwing around Lego Island comparisons and what-not. Much like TT Fusion's other Lego games, this isn't one where you get to meticulously construct objects, vehicles, buildings and whatever else. It's still mostly just an action adventure game stylised like Lego.

You're missing the point though, this is all to pass the time as we are alll waiting for eatchildren.org's review to make a rational conlusion on the game.

7threst

In all truthfulness, I never understood why Edge was highly regarded in the first place. I've followed their reviews since 2000 or so, and they've never seemed fundamentally better or more reliable than anyone.

I don't think they are necessary more reliable, but I do think their reviews are better, mostly because they often back the grade up pretty good with the text that goes along with the grade. It's often the grades people have a problem with, but seldom try to counter the review or even refer to it when they dismiss an Edge-review.

On their scale it's supposed to mean 'average', yes. The problem here is that people were expecting/hoping that this game would be more than average and provide a title that would pull the Wii U out of its sales rut. Doesn't look like that's going to happen. Next savior is Pikmin, I believe, but that's hardly been a system seller in the past. So realistically we're looking at Mario Kart.

You really think the Edge review is going to ruin any chance of the game selling well?????

REALLY???

mrklaw

MrArseFace

but for those of us that have an opinion on current TT lego games - good or bad - we could probably compare this review with other Edge review of the licensed games and get a feel for how we might like it.

edit: they gave Lego LotR a 6, for context.

On their scale it's supposed to mean 'average', yes. The problem here is that people were expecting/hoping that this game would be more than average and provide a title that would pull the Wii U out of its sales rut.

I don't think some reviews are going to have any impact on the sales outcome, if it has or doesn't have the right appeal and marketing. Aliens CM was a sales hit in the UK just one week ago or so.

tkscz

I didn't say they're always right. Their hit ratio is pretty decent though and they're less likely to inflate scores.

Since when did opinions have a hit ratio? You either agree with what they say or don't, numbers are jack squat these days, especially when some places (GameTrailers) will diss the shit out a of a game, and give it a high score.

I don't think some reviews are going to have any impact on the sales outcome, if it has or doesn't have the right appeal and marketing. Aliens CM was a sales hit in the UK just one week ago or so.

Was it a sales hit or did it merely sell enough copies to place #1 on the chart?

7threst

Since when did opinions have a hit ratio? You either agree with what they say or don't, numbers are jack squat these days, especially when some places (GameTrailers) will diss the shit out a of a game, and give it a high score.

So much this.

I'm surprised to find so many people that have themselves dictate by reviews what game is worthy of their time and what game is not. Imo, that is the perfect way to miss a lot of games you might have really enjoyed. Just try out a game, you might like it.

Dawg

As said in the other thread, EDGE gave the first Lego Batman a 5/10 and Lego: LOTR a 6/10. Lego Star wars did get a 7/10.

Can't find any other lego reviews.

I want to talk about facts. I want to be clear, I do not want to play mind games too early, although you seem to want to start. But I have seen some facts. In the past Edge magazine has been accused of scoring "too low" when in retrospect its the other outlets scoring too highly. Recent history suggests Edge is a reliable source of video game critique. This is a fact.

It got the same score as Aliens:CM? Oh boy.

I sure hope they justified that.

Either Lego City is completely half assed or the reviewer for Aliens:CM was overly generous.

CoolS

Will wait on further reviews. Seeing that Edge gave LEGO Lotr a 6/10 and I absolutely loved that game, this means nothing so far.

Edit: Just watched the Gamesweasel review and it confirms what we've been expecting: Long loading times, controls for car are not that great and not much side stuff to do.

tajd

Banned
As said in the other thread, EDGE gave the first Lego Batman a 5/10 and Lego: LOTR a 6/10. Lego Star wars did get a 7/10.

Can't find any other lego reviews.

5/10 for lego batman that game is so good so is batman 2

Probably because this Lego game seemed radically different.

Really? Very similar gameplay with a bigger hub world than DC Superheroes never really struck me as "radically different". More of an evolution (minus the license) over that than a drastic overhaul. That appeals to me, but I wouldn't expect one with zero interest in the series to be snared.

Really? Very similar gameplay with a bigger hub world than DC Superheroes never really struck me as "radically different". More of an evolution (minus the license) over that than a drastic overhaul. That appeals to me, but I wouldn't expect one with zero interest in the series to be snared.

Yeah, it's still a Lego game.

I haven't played the game but I would imagine that if you like Lego games and sandbox games, you will really like this game.

However, if you dislike Lego games but like sandbox games, you probably won't.

I want to talk about facts. I want to be clear, I do not want to play mind games too early, although you seem to want to start. But I have seen some facts. In the past Edge magazine has been accused of scoring "too low" when in retrospect its the other outlets scoring too highly. Recent history suggests Edge is a reliable source of video game critique. This is a fact.
Grow your own opinion, I never read a single EDGE review, nor do I care about their opinion, nor are they anything I need in my gaming-life.

*this is true for every review site.

It's just another opinion, which is nothing more worth than any other post I see in this forum.

If EDGE writes it has weird car-controls and I'm fine with it in the end... what's the point?

Just leads to 10 pages of silly discussions noone cares in real life.

tkscz

Mind games? What mind games do you get out of either you agree or you don't.

Vinci

Danish
Grow your own opinion, I never read a single EDGE review, nor do I care about their opinion, nor are they anything I need in my gaming-life.

It's just another opinion, which is nothing more worth than any other post I see in this forum.

If EDGE writes it has weird car-controls and I'm fine with it in the end... what's the point?

Stop it. You're being too rational.

Shiggy

EDGE review scores are just weird to me. I absolutely love that they also give scores below 70% (70% games on other websites are most often real stinkers), but some of their scores just seem completely off.

Don't know about Lego City, don't have too high expectations because the other Lego games were pretty repetitive and boring.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony

Stop it. You're being too rational.

But, but... we need to appeal to perceived video game authorities to prove everything we like is good and everything we don't like is bad.

Beelzebub

I really want this at launch but I'm not so sure if will since I'm getting Monster Hunter. that will demand my video gaming time

GameE

- sees lego city score from Edge -
holy freaking shit I was not expecting it to be that bad
I bet this will end up in the low 7's in the end or something.

Top Bottom