• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: Lego City could blow the franchise wide open/save the WiiU [Dont port beg]

DjRoomba

Banned
I still have zero interest in tis. The 'safe' GTA is not what Im lookin for. I like the Lego games because I like the movies theyre based on...

The Hermit

A positive WiiU news related to a 3rd party game? Nice!

I was going to buy a WiiU recently, but I think I'll wait a bit more... I have too many games to play on the 3DS.

Anyone else think it's perfect timing for this game and Monster Hunter U to come out for the system???

I mean, those two games alone(if you choose to play them) will last tons of hours/maybe weeks/maybe months and then the games should start appearing.

They didn't have to come out a day apart though.

StuBurns

Banned
I still have zero interest in tis. The 'safe' GTA is not what Im lookin for. I like the Lego games because I like the movies theyre based on...
What if this is a satire of GTA? Instead of throwing trash bags of crystal meth, you're throwing bags of sweets at kids? Instead of taking cell phone photos of a cheating wife, you're taking cell phone photos of two kids kissing in a tree, etc.

Neifirst

I need a Target or Best Buy buy 2 get 1 free so I can pick up Lego City, Most Wanted U, and Monster Hunter 3! This looks incredibly fun.

I’m sorry, but if you think this game is going to save the Wii U then you’re delusional.

Save is hyperbolic, ok. A lego game will never save a console.
But it will make the WiiU sad sales figures rise a bit. At this point, it can't be worse.

In my opinion, this console will be a real disaster if at the end of the year it still sells worse than the gamecube. Would that be case, I would agree that it is doomed.

I am glad TT are not being hampered by following a single IP like Star wars, as the preview says it parodies Goodfellas, Shawshank Redemption, Dirty Harry, the possibilities are now endless and it should be more interesting to play simply because it isn't constrained to following a set storyline that you already know.

This release is good timing for Wii U owners, the system needs games but it might not be good timing for the Lego Citys series. Hopefully reviews are good because I can't see any Wii U game achieving massive sales at this point in its life.

Torrod

Neo Member
I would actually buy a Wii U just for Lego City. But there has to be a price-drop. And a Bundle. Maybe Lego plus WiiU Premium für 199.

dock

The talky lego people are the part that concerns me about this game more than anything.

Glad to see this is turning out good though. Frustrating as it can be, no-one benefits from shovelware in the first six months, so I'm glad they didn't push this out at launch.

Ryuuga

Banned
Every game coming out from this point forward has a chance to save the Wii U, looking at the release calendar.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
I would wait on the $99 Wii U bundle with 5 games.

Sounds about right for the value proposition on offer, thanks for the advice!

Rootbeer

Banned
Please stay a Wii U exclusive... the Wii U needs this! I've had it pre-ordered for months :3

I remember talking about this with some gamestop employees around the time the Wii U first came out, discussing upcoming games. They had no idea about it and I came up with a quick approximation describing it as "a lego version of GTA" and based on all the video content I've seen I still feel it is a fair representation. If more people know just what this game is and how it plays they'd probably be excited.

plainr_

If I ever get a Wii-U, this is the game I'll be buying first. Fell in love with the game instantly when we first saw it at E3.

ticl

Banned
I don't think will save anything, but looks as fun as hell

wii u doesnt need saving.every single kid who says the wii u is doomed has been saying that about nintendo since they could wipe their own butts. if you look at release games announced for the ps3 less than what the wii u had. also not counting the ones for the ps4 that will be delayed. nintendo is and always will be the number 1 gameing company in the world and some girls like this young lady cant understand that.

Nemesis_

No thank you. I'll wait for the master of open world games:
1nauc0.gif

iVPpMsygMyXiY.gif

daakusedo

If it's a really good solo experience why not, the game being more crackdown than gta is already a good thing, but I was thinking of monster hunter to play in multiplayer, I'm not seeing myself go through it alone, so I could think about that downside to choose. I remember there's luigi's mansion too in march.

xandaca

This could be a very big hit if Nintendo actually advertises it. They'll actually have some games out by the end of this month (Lego, Monster Hunter, NFS) so if they've any sense at all - and that's debatable given the Wii U's publicity-free launch - a marketing campaign is being lined up as we type.

rockx4

This could be a very big hit if Nintendo actually advertises it. They'll actually have some games out by the end of this month (Lego, Monster Hunter, NFS) so if they've any sense at all - and that's debatable given the Wii U's publicity-free launch - a marketing campaign is being lined up as we type.

Has Nintendo\Capcom even started advertising Monster Hunter? I'm probably going to cancel my MH3 3DS preorder, feels bad to support that when I'm already getting it on Wii U, and ignoring this game which looks really fun. Supporting Capcom's choice of no OffTV play for MH3 is leaving a bad taste in my mouth.

I feel that 2 games cannot save a system. can it keep people interested? Sure, but not enough to warrant WiiU from being doomed until Q3, and the inevitable price cut.

I am looking forward to both Lego Undercover and Monster Hunter 3U, but if I didn't have my PC, and other gaming consoles...I would have abandoned ship awhile ago. My WiiU is gathering dust. It's 3 months old.

Suirrad

"It's great," says Loz, utterly unphased by the prospect of providing Nintendo's first blockbuster release of the year. "We're obviously really pleased with the game. If it wasn't very good then we'd probably feel under pressure, but it's our best Lego game and that's really saying something. We're really chuffed. It's the best game on the Wii U." There's not much competition for that accolade at the moment, but don't be surprised if that boast still rings true in five years time."

Bold statement there.

That being said, I'm really looking forward to this and I hope it lives up to their expectations.

Huh? Care to restate that in more logical terms?
Sure. I'm just surprised people are all of a sudden stoked for a LEGO game just three months after the system's launch. I mean the game looks alright, but it's probably nothing to write home about. I'm hungry for some big games, but I'm not that hungry to take whatever crosses my way.

OwlyKnees

Sure. I'm just surprised people are all of a sudden stoked for a LEGO game just three months after the system's launch. I mean the game looks alright, but it's probably nothing to write home about. I'm hungry for some big games, but I'm not that hungry to take whatever crosses my way.

So... you're surprised that people have different tastes than yourself.

Okei, I get it now. Thank you!

Not sure what brats are into these days, but I know my friends and I would have been into this kind of shit like crazy 15 years ago. If Nintendo/LEGO push this properly, I can see it become the best selling Wii U game for a while. Might also sell this to others by promoting all these movie spoofs and whatnot. Personally only looking forward to Wonderful 101, but it already hurts me how much that will bomb.

Yagharek

The game was announced over a year ago. People have been interested to varying degrees since then. Its not a recent thing.

I think it'll do rather well, with a good advertising push alongside. It's a family friendly GTA style game, that's colourful and looks fun.

So... you're surprised that people have different tastes than yourself.

Okei, I get it now. Thank you!
No, it's clearly not that and you would knew if you understood what I wrote. The past LEGO games were fun - 15€ from the bargain bin fun, but nothing people would preorder and go full retail price. It seems to be the case here. That's what is confusing and surprising to me at the same time.

The game was announced over a year ago. People have been interested to varying degrees since then. Its not a recent thing.
Well then, I never really noticed that. To me it just seemed to be the typical "I'll take anything, just to have something to play on my new console" thing. No offense given.

ascii42

No, it's clearly not that and you would knew if you understood what I wrote. The past LEGO games were fun - 15€ from the bargain bin fun, but nothing people would preorder and go full retail price. It seems to be the case here. That's what is confusing and surprising to me at the same time.

Well then, I never really noticed that. To me it just seemed to be the typical "I'll take anything, just to have something to play on my new console" thing. No offense given.
It's different here because this game is a different beast from any previous Lego game. And I can tell you it's not just people wanting to play something on their new console, because I'm very interested in the game, and I don't own a WiiU yet.

Top Bottom