• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: Lego City could blow the franchise wide open/save the WiiU [Dont port beg]

Well I've always thought the idea itself was cute.

I'm not entirely sure what the GTAV thing was about. You don't go into a Lego game (even one taking inspiration from) expecting GTA. It's its own thing.

DrWong

How much does this game utilise the Gamepad, if this gets ported to PS3 at a later stage I may pick it up for my nephew.

Mucho much, it seems...
Lee Barber: I don’t think for LEGO City we could do it without the GamePad, it’s pretty much central and a core element of the game. This is for both the character in the game and the player; what you see the character doing, the player can do as well, so they’re linked by the same device. As the character in the game upgrades, so do the player’s abilities to do the same. It’s not just limited to a map of a city, the player can feel like a detective or like they’re locating a robber, or locating a hidden item. We feel that’s pretty unique.

And be careful with port begging, your nephew could be banned... :p

DaBoss

He might buy any game for his nephew? I doubt it.

People complaining about console war talk in this thread should blame the OP for an inflammatory title, or arguably Eurogamer I guess.

I guess you caught my post before the stealth edit. :p

Only meant to bold the portion that's bolded now which is borderline port-begging.

Lego City sparks my interest more than GTAV, and I don't have Wii U

They both hold my interest equally. Both are going to be excellent open-world games, I can feel it.

OwlyKnees

No, it's clearly not that and you would knew if you understood what I wrote. The past LEGO games were fun - 15€ from the bargain bin fun, but nothing people would preorder and go full retail price. It seems to be the case here. That's what is confusing and surprising to me at the same time.

Who are you to decide what people have preordered and purchased at full retail price? I assure you, the LEGO games have great success - initial sales and longevity. Originally due to branded licenses and the LEGO name, nowadays they have made a distinctive game brand for themselves. They have built a large following around co-op gameplay alone, with many enjoying playing with others who may not be particularly fantastic with video games.

There is nothing surprising about it. There is nothing confusing about it. Each game has built upon the last, more people have become interested, therefore more people are excited for the LEGO formula they enjoy, but in a fresh setting. Stop viewing your outlook as the only possible occurrence and you won't be so surprised by nothing.

I'm a little annoyed that the buildings and especially plants aren't "Lego." It would make the appeal so much greater. I don't see that detracting from the actual game, of course. It still would have been nice.

I'm a little annoyed that the buildings and especially plants aren't "Lego." It would make the appeal so much greater. I don't see that detracting from the actual game, of course. It still would have been nice.

I always hate how little of these games is actual Lego. And then the ,,ordinary'' environments don't even look very interesting either.

ascii42

It is and so is lego city.

The 3DS Lego city is a prequel to the WiiU game.

I always hate how little of these games is actual Lego. And then the ,,ordinary'' environments don't even look very interesting either.

Yeah, I felt that way for a while, but the reason is so that you have a clear indicator of what you can interact with (anything that's made of Lego). Of course, it'd be sort of cool if everything was Lego AND you could interact with everything, but then it'd be way too easy to screw everything up by destroying something you shouldn't.

Cipherr

No, it's clearly not that and you would knew if you understood what I wrote. The past LEGO games were fun - 15€ from the bargain bin fun, but nothing people would preorder and go full retail price.

You aren't quite aware of the performance of past lego games in retail are you? I could understand how you may not be, its not really a name like Halo or Metal Gear, but.... you might want to go look them up.

These games have absolutely been bought by the boatload at full retail price.

The 3DS Lego city is a prequel to the WiiU game.

Yeah, I felt that way for a while, but the reason is so that you have a clear indicator of what you can interact with (anything that's made of Lego). Of course, it'd be sort of cool if everything was Lego AND you could interact with everything, but then it'd be way too easy to screw everything up by destroying something you shouldn't.
Really? Does it have a different title too?

Maxrunner

No thank you. I'll wait for the master of open world games:
1nauc0.gif

will it be about gangs and mafia stuff again?no thanks...

I pre-ordered this and expect it to surprise some people. It seems to be coming together quite nicely.

Not sure this is the game that will "save the Wii U" though. This, along with TW101, Pikmin 3, MH3U, etc... is a start though I guess. It may give them a little momentum to build on but Nintendo will still need to deliver on other games of course.

Trike

I remember first seeing the trailer for this game and being interested. I am glad to see they are releasing it along with every other Wii U game for the rest of the year. I am still gonna get it at some point.

Really? My mom? Be glad that you're not in front of me, instead of being on the internet and saying shit like that.

Dude, he is not worth man. You are better than this, you have a mum who loves and cares for you. You know she would never be ported over to other consoles.

I am hoping it was Bayonetta 2 that set you off, it is way funnier that way.

Because this is literally the only third party WiiU exclusive that's coming out right now? And where do you get that I hate the WiiU? Just because I think something bad can happen to it?

I don't get why people act like losing Rayman as an exclusive is the biggest deal in the world. Yeah, losing 3rd party exclusives can fuck up a system (PS3) but that was Rayman, not GTA or Resident Evil. I don't this one will get ported. It's being published by Nintendo in all regions, and they seem to have a cool boner for the controller. Ninja Gaiden was published by Nintendo too, but not in Japan. Also Team Ninja needed to apologize to Ninja Gaiden fans, as well as get revenge on the Nintendo fans that made fun of Other M.

Zarovitch

Don't worry, it'll come to X360 and PS3 next year. Lol at "saving" the Wii U.

Maybe not saving but make the WiiU more interresting to buy, look there's people who would like to see this game on other console. I think more exclusive for the WiiU will help a lot.

Frodo

Lego Undercover, Most Wanted and Monster Hunter. All games I want to buy. All coming out on the same month. Not enough monies though... :(

xandaca

Wii U Killer App def, outside of Bayonetta and maybe Wonderful 101.

It might gain Nintendo some traction with people buying the console for their children (again, if the game is marketed at all), but among older gamers it'll probably be ignored. Bayonetta and W101 are niche too, so I'd be surprised if (no matter how great they are) consoles are shifted in any notable numbers upon their release. More it's more likely that Wind Waker HD and Mario Kart U are the games to give the Wii U a sales boost this year.

All that said, I remain convinced that the Wii U could easily be sold on the back of several games it currently hosts if only Nintendo would not only promote them, but promote the exclusive features the gamepad has to offer each experience. Black Ops II, for example, could easily be sold as featuring off-TV play, the ability to call in scorestreaks on the touchscreen and splitscreen multiplayer with one on player on the gamepad. Nintendo are complaining that it's difficult to communicate what the Wii U has to offer, but frankly that's a ridiculous excuse. The features are there, just show them to people in the context of a specific game via a TV or cinema advert.

Since I saw this game listed I had high hopes for it. I have been closely following it and I love that it has great charm and sense of humor. But that is not all, I know missions are long and the game has lots of content. Great buy, day one, it is the reason I got a Wii U early, seems so fresh.

I have GTAIV and while the game story is good I had to drag myself to play it, never finished it. Because of this I never bought RDR and I my hype for GTAV is neutral right now.

D-e-f-

Banned
All they need to do now is market the game a little more and not just put trailers on YouTube.

And I hope there's enough random chaos you can take part in. My favorite part about games like this.

Another defensive WiiU thread. I like these.

Now is this classified as inverse thread-whining? 'Cause I really can't see this being anything else.

But that is what is so great about WiiU threads - we all get to see what we want to see!

As for Lego City, I'll definitely rent it for the PS4.

And stealth port-begging, too?

JimboJones

Why are people worried about this game coming out alongside Monster Hunter? I'd say there are more children interested in a Lego game than there are gamers interested in MH, in the west anyway.

Hope there's a demo for Lego City, i'm kinda interested but would need to try it first.

Why are people worried about this game coming out alongside Monster Hunter? I'd say there are more children interested in a Lego game than there are gamers interested in MH, in the west anyway.

Hope there's a demo for Lego City, i'm kinda interested but would need to try it first.

If this game is as good as the first impressions from the media are suggesting, Nintendo really needs to push this game with Advertisements, Bundles, Demo's, and put it on the Kiosks....

sakipon

As for Lego City, I'll definitely rent it for the PS4.

This is something I dislike about GAF. A lot of exclusive game threads (timed releases or not) are being filled out with passive aggressive comments from people not having the system.

As for the subject, I agree Lego City is no savior by itself. But it does help a bit. Also the fact that they are giving out Wii U codes for in-game stuff in Lego packages is a nice way of advertizing. Let's get them kids hooked.

I'm looking forward to the game.

Top Bottom