• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: "Microsoft's final sales pitch for Xbox One X falls flat"

rrs

But they're doing a pretty bad job of that because they're losing on both fronts with no victory in sight on either front.
Yeah, both of which can be traced back to massive missteps: the console front not holding up to sony's last gen game rebound, MS's own moneyhat games either canned or just average, and the console itself having poor specs due to a fallen through trojan horse of being an TV over internet box (seriously, look up the leaked docs, this box was 100% supposed to be an IPTV box that played games. This was Microsoft's ace in the hole: a dying industry)

On the PC front, gamers were leery due to what happened last time Microsoft made a major game publishing push and forgot about it promptly after one year leaving it to join the other many failed early PC game download services. The other reason is Windows 10, and a belief that MS will try to underhand stream if their store gets popular enough

I won't discourage MS from releasing more powerful hardware. I like having that option, but there's nothing on the software side that makes me feel like I need this.

Who said it was for the masses?

I'd imagine the accountants and project managers at Microsoft. They are not putting out a $10,000 boutique gold-plated Xbox here, where they need sell only a few dozen to recoup their R&D.

Microsoft wants to sell consoles. They have made a console that won't sell in the current market.

I believe that Aaron Greenburg stated there would be only one pre-order SKU. That honestly seems like the best strategy based on the target audience.
That seems silly and pointless if your limited version sold out in 24 hours and the thing still has 10 weeks to come out.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
My opinion is the same as many here I think. Great console if you haven't jumped into current gen yet and have money to spend but that has to be a pretty damn small group of people. Most late comers are looking for the more affordable options.

As a PS4 Pro/Switch owner, it's basically $600 to play Forza 7 in 4K. I actually do like Forza enough to somewhat consider that offer but it's probably going to be a pass.

Kill3r7

While people argue over the metrics, I see what you're saying and I agree.

MS hasn't had a big attention grabbing non-Halo/Gears exclusive since Titanfall. They need something like that in their lineup that makes people 'Ooo' and 'Ahh'. Titanfall sold very well when it launched and, if I remember correctly, it sold a decent amount of Xbox hardware.

Whether it is great graphics and/or an interesting gameplay mechanic/idea, they need something big to magnetize people. I don't really see that in CD3, SoD2 and SoT.

Agreed, their biggest game this fall is PUBG. They need to throw their full marketing support behind it.

Zedox

And they play on Console?

Come on man, you're smarter than this.

Uhm, yes.
Did you forget that there are people who only game on console and still want the most powerful. You know that...don't know why you brought up that point.

I don't agree with Eurogamer on this one. I have a ps4 pro (bought day one) and a og xb1 (also bought day one) I have both and will be getting a 1x. I have friends in both ecosystems so it makes sense to have both for me. But if I had to only have one or the other it wouldn't be the end of the world. As a matter of fact the only exclusive I would feel bad about missing is Nioh (my personal pick for goty so far). Also I was standing in gamestop at 3 eastern yesterday. Right when gsmescom started. People were calling and asking about it then. And by the time preorders were available in store at 4:53 7 of the 8 preorders were spoken for because people were in line. I live in a very very small area. Knoxville TN is the closest big city and its 3 hours away. And it's not that big of a city anyways.

My point is, people are excited for this. Microsoft made their pitch at e3 and it was a strike right down the middle. Yesterday didn't need to be overwhelming.

Fredrik

While people argue over the metrics, I see what you're saying and I agree.

MS hasn't had a big attention grabbing non-Halo/Gears exclusive since Titanfall. They need something like that in their lineup that makes people 'Ooo' and 'Ahh'. Titanfall sold very well when it launched and, if I remember correctly, it sold a decent amount of Xbox hardware.

Whether it is great graphics and/or an interesting gameplay mechanic/idea, they need something big to magnetize people. I don't really see that in CD3, SoD2 and SoT.
Maybe PUBG? Seems popular and looks like it might be timed exclusive going by their publishing partnership.
Not my kind of game though.

Halabane

ps4 pro has been out almost a year and they still cant communicate to the masses why purchasing a ps4 pro over a std ps4 is worth it

the pitch is much better for the X1x simply because of the shit specs of the X1s compared to the base ps4

I think this is the point. Its not going back to win its going forward.

IF they can have the console with seriously better performing games that play on both consoles they COULD in the FUTURE move the needle to them. As far as exclusives go that is getting marginalized by the increased cost of games. Its too expensive to just have the sales from one system. There is also a lot of good games, I don't know how many of us can get to them all.

The other thing is MS strategy of making it a win 10 OS variant console. See http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1391128 which shows it took hours to port from pc to xbox. What if they cut a deal with Valve? Valve can't get a box to sell...this could cure a lot of ills if those two partnered.

Bgamer90

Banned
Microsoft has done nothing for people who aren't going to play multiplatform games on the console as their 2017 lineup has been their weakest exclusive lineup this gen.

On the flip side though, I don't see why anyone would want an Xbox One X if you aren't really focused on playing multiplats on it anyway.

Either way, it's going to be interesting to see how the console will sell in 2018.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
The Xbox One X is doing a better job of selling me a PC than anything else. I can't remember a console hardware launch that excited me less than this one. Shit, I was pumped for the freaking Kinect.

I hope Xbox gets its software situation figured out. I'm getting the feeling that Microsoft is going to abruptly drop out of the console market some time in the next few years. It seems like they're barely trying.

In about 3 years X will be the entry level box, so yeah, as time goes by.

Microsoft will not wait 3 years. MS is dumping all non-SaaS projects that are not Windows/Office/Surface. Rumor has been the new CEO does not care for the Xbox division.

This is a make-or-break situation for Xbox, and they really seem to not realize that.

Sygma

As someone who owns every console except the Switch, I have to say I'm getting a bit tired hearing about all the concern everyone feels for Microsoft and Xbox. It's non-stop right now.

They're having a quite year for first-party exclusives, for one reason or another. It's not the end of the world.

And I can't for the life of me understand the sentiment that Forza is yesterday's news (especially when compared to Zelda and Uncharted?!). The last Forza title (Horizon 3) was incredible and Motorsport 7 looks breathtaking. Doesn't count as a big first-party release though because reasons...

People are going overboard with the 'Xbox doomed' narrative right now. It's getting tiresome.

... where are the other games outside of that. Not everyone is into racing. Doubtful that Forza is a sales flagship aswell

The money to be made is in narrative games, bonus if its open world. Or Pubg. At some point you need more than sport games and half decent franchise titles

cackhyena

I'd imagine the accountants and project managers at Microsoft. They are not putting out a $10,000 boutique gold-plated Xbox here, where they need sell only a few dozen to recoup their R&D.

Microsoft wants to sell consoles. They have made a console that won't sell in the current market.

Yeah, I don't think so. They know this is high end, like the Pro. The cheaper versions are and will be the big sellers. Pretty sure no one there is under any other illusions.

Microsoft will not wait 3 years. MS is dumping all non-SaaS projects that are not Windows/Office/Surface. Rumor has been the new CEO does not care for the Xbox division.

This is a make-or-break situation for Xbox, and they really seem to not realize that.

You're going off of rumor and then saying the people involved in an enormous project, years in the making don't have the same information as you. C'mon.

iswasdoes

Doesn't sound good for Xbox one x.

Was the ps4 pro a success? I have one and I don't believe it was worth the extra 100. The support has been weak at best.

Yeah I think this half gen experiment has been a failure, at least for consumers. Its fine for people late to the gen, but even so I'm not sure they are really getting value for money. These consoles cannot really do the 4k they advertise, and 4k doesnt really have the penetration to be worthy of a sub-bracket of consoles.

I know its been said before but If you want peak performance, 4k and also top end VR and best in class media centre features as well, bite the bullet and get a PC. Anyone considering the One X should really consider this as the smarter option, especially considering Play anywhere

The switch will sell more then then 40 million by 2018 or 2019 and xbox will stop selling?

40 million is probably not happening by the end of 2018 (though I could see 35 million) but by 2019, it's practically guaranteed.

What's Xbox One at right now? I was under the impression it was around 32-33 million.

Zedox

Microsoft has done nothing for people who aren't going to play multiplatform games on the console as their 2017 lineup has been their weakest exclusive lineup this gen.

On the flip side though, I don't see why anyone would want an Xbox One X if you aren't really focused on playing multiplats on it anyway.

Either way, it's going to be interesting to see how the console will sell in 2018.

Exactly.

rfield84

Banned
I think people really really underestimate the amount of people that play games on their computers

Its not just rich nerds sitting at a desk with their $1000 video card

I worked in retail electronics for a very very long time and I'd say half the people who came in to buy a computer/laptop mentioned being able to play games as a consideration

They aren't going to run it at max settings 60 fps but these folks exist in large numbers and yes they will play games like Ori or Cuphead on the laptop they use for college

The Xbox audience is still larger, but don't reduce the PC crowd to just the super hardcore gamers. It's a lot bigger than that.

Yup. I have an Acer Aspire I3 that I bought to use for college, but I also have Stardew Valley, Grim Dawn, and a couple of things I like playing on it. I' actually bought it specifically to be able to at least run FO: NV.

As a die hard playstation fan...I'm just saying that to say, I'm not sure what else they were supposed to do. Hopefully the exclusives come... Maybe I'm too easy to please but i preordered an X.. Trading in my one s.

There is always an enthusiast group that want the most powerful. Always.

I do, but it's kind of hard to justify $500 for a one when I've got a pro. I considered selling both my one s and pro, but it makes more sense to keep em and just deal with checkerboarding and such on the pro. At $399, I would have been more inclined to just make the jump. I could just buy it out of pocket, but Ol Ramjag Costanza is just being cheap again I guess lol.

Spencer explained that the Xbox One X is for a very specific audience, and that it was never meant to be a mass market driver. ‘Xbox One X is specifically a console, so it’s for someone who want to play on a console, who wants the most powerful console, a premium experience… it’s not for everyone, just like the Elite Controller, a $150 controller is not for everybody,” Spencer explained.

Zedox

I do, but it's kind of hard to justify $500 for a one when I've got a pro. I considered selling both, but it makes more sense to keep em and just deal with checkerboarding and such on the pro. At $399, I would have been more inclined to just make the jump. Ol Ramjag Costanza is just being cheap again I guess lol.

That's totally reasonable. What I'm saying and I'm sure you understand that there are people who don't care and will get the most powerful because that's what they want at all times.

Wamb0wneD

Say what you will about Microsoft or their Xbox brand, but as a matter of fact the Xbox One X is gonna be the console with the best looking 3rd party games for the next 2 years and thus making it a must have for console enthusiasts without a highend PC.

I'm a console enthusiast without a highend PC and... no. Not really.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Your insane and it wont. Maybe in some countries that PS is 5 to 1 but not overall. Xbox is still selling decently. Holidays well see

Unless Nintendo and/or 3rd parties really drop the ball software-wise (which might very well happen, mind; always count on Nintendo to screw up somehow), sorry, but I'm gonna have to agree with the person you quoted. The Switch is performing very well, in all regions, and despite shortages. The Xbox One is, unsurprisingly enough, dead in Japan, so already the Switch has a massive advantage there. It's already sold a third as much as the PS4 there, and half what the Wii U sold in Japan, and that was its best market.a And while the Xbox brand is strong in the US and the UK, the rest of Europe isn't exactly as enamored with it. In many countries, the real battle (when there is one) is between Sony and Nintendo.

If Nintendo keeps the momentum going even somewhat strong, the Switch will definitely match and surpass the Xbox One. I don't know when it'll happen, but it's a fairly safe bet that it will happen at some point. You may doubt it, but at any rate it's certainly not an "insane" prediction by any stretch of the imagination.

King_Moc

Banned
I've probably said it before, but the most worrying aspect of the XB1X is that it appears to show that the leads there are convinced they're only behind due to the power gap. A brief glance at previous gens show that it's borderline irrelevant to sales.

And they play on Console?

Come on man, you're smarter than this.

Do you think there is a section of enthusiasts that want better performance but do not want to invest money into building a PC with a 1080ti as the graphics card?

Of course there are enthusiasts that would want something like an X1X. They may not care about it as much as high-end PC users, but to suggest that there are no enthusiasts on console is silly.

I mean hell, these consoles (PS4 Pro and X1X) exist because they are going after that exact market.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
My opinion is the same as many here I think. Great console if you haven't jumped into current gen yet and have money to spend but that has to be a pretty damn small group of people. Most late comers are looking for the more affordable options.

As a PS4 Pro/Switch owner, it's basically $600 to play Forza 7 in 4K. I actually do like Forza enough to somewhat consider that offer but it's probably going to be a pass.

I'm of the opinion that latecomers would rather grab a PS4 + exclusives + standard multiplats than an Xbox + nicer multiplats. Who knows.

Spencer explained that the Xbox One X is for a very specific audience, and that it was never meant to be a mass market driver. ‘Xbox One X is specifically a console, so it's for someone who want to play on a console, who wants the most powerful console, a premium experience... it's not for everyone, just like the Elite Controller, a $150 controller is not for everybody," Spencer explained.

Which comes back to the point of the article - they've blown their last chance to sell the X1X to those people. If it's for premium customers, why showcase 4K Disney games? Just seems at odds with itself.

Yeah I think this half gen experiment has been a failure, at least for consumers. Its fine for people late to the gen, but even so I'm not sure they are really getting value for money. These consoles cannot really do the 4k they advertise, and 4k doesnt really have the penetration to be worthy of a sub-bracket of consoles.

I know its been said before but If you want peak performance, 4k and also top end VR and best in class media centre features as well, bite the bullet and get a PC. Anyone considering the One X should really consider this as the smarter option, especially considering Play anywhere

You're speaking in the minority of a die hard gamer... The avg consumer that has a 4ktv or even a 1080p tv just knows that the pro or x makes games look better.. They aren't using an algorithm to determine value vs cost

DryvBy

Who will buy an X?

People who don't own a console yet this gen.
Xbox One owners looking to upgrade.
Current PS4 owners thinking about getting a Pro.
People who have invested in a new 4K TV.
People who like to play the best games on the best hardware.

All of these are niche segments though and the XB1S is going to be the main factor for shifting units for the next few years. I don't think this is rocket surgery though and us a great way for EG to generate some much needed clicks.

Article will go down a treat on here as well, lol.

? Why would this happen?

Lothars

The Xbox audience is still larger, but don't reduce the PC crowd to just the super hardcore gamers. It's a lot bigger than that.
It's not the PC Crowd is vastly larger than the Xbox Audience but most PC players don't have a top of the line PC and would previously play games like the Sims.

And I can't for the life of me understand the sentiment that Forza is yesterday's news (especially when compared to Zelda and Uncharted?!). The last Forza title (Horizon 3) was incredible and Motorsport 7 looks breathtaking. Doesn't count as a big first-party release though because reasons...
The reason I think this is the case at least to me is that the xbox one mainline Forza games haven't been anything special maybe Forza 7 will change that but that's an unknown. The Forza franchise has been saved specifically by the Forza horizon games which all three have been incredible and are easily some of the top exclusives on the xbox.

Spencer explained that the Xbox One X is for a very specific audience, and that it was never meant to be a mass market driver. ‘Xbox One X is specifically a console, so it’s for someone who want to play on a console, who wants the most powerful console, a premium experience… it’s not for everyone, just like the Elite Controller, a $150 controller is not for everybody,” Spencer explained.

OK. That just shows how completely misguided the Xbox One X is.

I'm not a market analyst, but I really don't see how that is a market segment worth catering currently. MS has so few good exclusives, how does anyone justify buying an Xbox One X? I don't think Cuphead at native 4k is a huge console seller...

I know 2 (only 2) PC gamers and they are gaming on older rigs they paid a lot for a few years ago. Always talking about upgrading, but never do. I think there are a lot of guys like that.

blakep267

40 million is probably not happening by the end of 2018 (though I could see 35 million) but by 2019, it's practically guaranteed.

What's Xbox One at right now? I was under the impression it was around 32-33 million.
You think the switch is going to ship 35 million consoles in the next 16 months?

Lom1lo

So true, they need to up their games game. Next year Looks okay, but after that there is nothing. Its sad because ms is killing it in everything but the games..
Still buying the console because Xbox is my main console but its really depressing to not know if there going to be more games than halo, Forza and gears

Thise generation is several years old. Any 'console enthusiasts' already have consoles, likely PS4.

It's ridiculous to think there is some untapped market of console enthusiasts who have sat out for years just waiting for a more powerful Xbox.

People don't care about the power of the console, they care about games. Where are the actual Xbox exclusive games people want to play?

Also, the games will not be 'best looking' in a way that matters to consumers. Games are build for lowest common denominator specs (Xbox One Classic or PS4) -- multiplatform games may have a more stable frame rate or slightly higher resolution -- but who cares enough to drop that much money?

Any graphical powerhouse games would be real Xbox exclusives, and MS sure don't seem to make worthwhile exclusives anymore...

You paint with a broad brush.

That's totally reasonable. What I'm saying and I'm sure you understand that there are people who don't care and will get the most powerful because that's what they want at all times.

I understand. I'm usually one of those people. Hell, for years I kept my gaming PC updated with the latest cards and I don't even play on PC all that much. But I kept on because there are experiences there that are unique to the platform. In this case, the cons outweigh the pros. I think that price is really hurting them and continually spouting "the best looking third party games isn't going to go that far. I like having great looking games, but third-party alone isn't enough. Diehard Xbox fans won't mind I'm sure and if that's what they're betting on, then fair enough.

PUBGs initial exclusivity is probably the most appealing thing about the platform to me. I'd love to see them push more stuff like that. Truth be told, I'll probably find some way to save a bit and just get one anyhow, so don't pay me too much mind. Haha

Agreed, their biggest game this fall is PUBG. They need to throw their full marketing support behind it.

Maybe PUBG? Seems popular and looks like it might be timed exclusive going by their publishing partnership.
Not my kind of game though.
Yeah, it may help them this fall given the popularity but I still think they need a big AAA type game like what I described. I do agree that they should really push this though.

Gothos

At this point I'm more interested what's Microsoft doing for the next gen becuace this gen they're done. Do we have any insider info about new 1st party studios being created?

Jawmuncher

That's brutal. But even as an Xbox fan I have to agree. Currently the issue I have is the content. Yeah it's nice they will have good third party support but with their push on PC (Which I also have) there's no real reason for me to be interested in the Scorpio. I'll take new titles any day of the week before new hardware.

Top Bottom