• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: "Microsoft's final sales pitch for Xbox One X falls flat"

Syrus

Banned
I was surprised to see them re-using trailers from E3. It made a lot of the event just feel like a waste of time. I went back and checked; several weren't even re-cuts. These were just replaying old trailers for what SHOULD have been incredibly valuable stage time.

They should have also had more progress to report on BC enhancements on 1X and original Xbox titles. It would have been a better use of the time than, for example, a trailer for State of Decay 2 (which I'm very interested in) that was rehash combined with what looked like some 10 fps footage.

The point of gamescom was to announce pre orders, period. It worked.

Would you also agree with the statement that this target audience is incredibly narrow, making this console a niche product ? And that it's hard to imagine how this could possibly help Microsoft's business challenges for the Xbox brand?

Because it reinforeces the perception that the Xbox brand is going to be the best place to play the biggest games, something I expect to see MS yelling from the rooftops over the next few months. That builds a groundswell of opinion that will be effective over a number of years.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
At least that one female host was good, being sarcy and behaving like a genuine human being!

Xbox is a disaster right now, and I'm not really sure what future it has going forward. The amount of stuff dropped even from the One X launch says the whole ship is taking on a dreadful amount of water. Even Major Nelson looks nervous.

-After cancelling Scalebound, they couldnt even get every person available onto Crackdown to get it out in time to avoid 2014 being marked as a cursed E3 presentation? They have Forza and thats it. They've barely had anything all year anyway!

- It sort of feels like Microsoft First Party no longer exists. I do wonder how long the 2.5 billion Minecraft "kids love this right?" purchase is going to keep the ship afloat. I'm sure it was worth not having a first party lineup anymore though.

- The 180 on VR. "Oh yeah, Scorpio will have VR! Of course!" -> "murmur murmur rabble rabble". Maybe thats because Oculus became a cursed company and they no longer wanted to associate with them, but SURPRISE, more short termism resulted in a total lack of content.

- As others have said, the One X just seems to be a way to milk their whales. Why anyone would plonk the cash into a One X and not pay just that touch more to have, oh I dunno, that STEAM thing and everything else a unwalled garden presents for entertainment, I do not know. Just really like X logos maybe.

Li Kao

Yeah, I was watching the thing yesterday and, like each year, I want an Xbox, and each year the offering is so small that I can't justify it.

I miss Halo and Gears
Back-compat is cool
Game Pass and the Origin thing are interesting
I will finally be able to play Sunset Overdrive
UI looks nice I guess

But shelling out 500 euros for a console without the first hint of one or two exclusives is a really hard sell.
Evidently everyone is different and while I like the simplicity of console gaming, when you have so small an offering I can only ask myself why I wouldn't put 500 euros in a PC upgrade.

This system is basically for X1 players who need a replacement or late adopters to the platform in general. It's a secondary concern for consumers not the selling point they need.

Maybe if you're on GAF, the average joe doesn't give a shit. All they care about is what has the most games they want and what system their friends are on. The answer to both of those is usually the PS4.

I was referring to the 'average joe' who gets FIFA, overwatch, battlefield, etc. and is interested in 4K content.

Multiplats drive consoles.

As others have mentioned, it really does seem like the XB1X is a stop-gap to keep the current XB1 owners from jumping ship to other console(s) or build a gaming PC. Because it's not really positioned nor priced to bring in new customers to the fold.

I think the current plan to bring new customers is to focus on the more casual market now that S is at a reasonable price.

The minecraft bundle, and all the kids games Ms is readying for the holidays (Lucky's Tale, Zoo Tycoon, Disney Land and Rush) are a sign of this... To be honest, they don't need to do much more than what they already have. Create cheap bundles, have some well marketed kid games, put a month of game pass on the box, and market the hell of it as well and they should move a decent amount of units.

For mid to long term they have to price the xbonex better, as well keeping the games coming instead of indefinitely postponing them.

watership

If MS wants to have a great Xbox / PC ecosystem, they could simply have the online free on their console as it is on PC.

That would be a great selling point and something special now in the console market

Wouldn't make a huge difference at this point. And when it comes to consoles, the majority
don't mind paying for the online services, as they get select free games and the various services that the subscriptions pay for.

Yeah, I was watching the thing yesterday and, like each year, I want an Xbox, and each year the offering is so small that I can't justify it.

I miss Halo and Gears
Back-compat is cool
UI looks nice I guess

But shelling out 500 euros for a console without the first hint of one or two exclusives is a really hard sell.
Evidently everyone is different and while I like the simplicity of console gaming, when you have so small an offering I can only ask myself why I wouldn't put 500 euros in a PC upgrade.

It's weird but if you were to buy an Xbone at this point in time, I'd say there isn't much point in buying any games because you can get by with just EA Access and Gamepass for a few months easily.

Vidal

loIhcO0.png

tumblr_od0vh8iweb1ue779no1_400.gif

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
Because it reinforeces the perception that the Xbox brand is going to be the best place to play the biggest games, something I expect to see MS yelling from the rooftops over the next few months. That builds a groundswell of opinion that will be effective over a number of years.

Not when some of the biggest games aren't even available. The new Metro going head-to-head with God of War - I know who I'm putting my money on.

MS are buiding a groundswell of opinion that there's is the best place to play games while Sony have already established that they have more games than anyone else (good games, too). Tack on the fact that the Pro has been touted as 'the most powerful console in the world' for almost a year now to little effect. I just can't see it working out for Microsoft.

I was referring to the 'average joe' who gets FIFA, overwatch, battlefield, etc. and is interested in 4K content.

Multiplats drive consoles.

EA were still releasing FIFA on PS2 until a couple of years ago. What does that tell you? Average joe just wants to play games - they largely don't give a shit where it is.

MilkyJoe

Yeah, I'm sure the amount of people who ditched their PC for a tablet is significant.

Come on.

If this was Gears of War or Halo this would be another story. But it's Ori and Cuphead. Both games are on Steam, neither of those games need a 1080ti card or something.

My last PC upgrade was before I got my 360, my last laptop purchase was in 2010. I no longer needed a PC in the house since I got my first Android phone and still don't. I think you'll find that is pretty widespread amongst common households.

Hawk269

I don't disagree with some of the points, but I also don't think this event was meant to be a conference type of thing were a lot of games are announced. I also don't think this would be a "final sales pitch". We are still 2 Months and 17 days from release, I think we will hear a bit more out of MS between now and then.

Yeah, I'm sure the amount of people who ditched their PC for a tablet is significant.

Come on.

If this was Gears of War or Halo this would be another story. But it's Ori and Cuphead. Both games are on Steam, neither of those games need a 1080ti card or something.

Anecdotal evidence and all that, but in my group of friends in their early 30's, everything computer related is done from a iPad or a old MacBook Air.

Got mine preordered, but I don't know if I'm going to bother following through, the money was for a Switch and games when Mario releases but I'll keep it ordered until nearer the time. Not really feeling 'new console buzz' about it, like I am Switch and I don't know if I have room for all three consoles and PCs (plus Retropie).

Anyway, buying the Pro has taught me not to buy into mid gen upgrades again.

Yeah, doubt I'll be doing it again. Failed experiment, apart from the PSVR improvements it's not really worth it.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
There were true 4K editions of Disneyland Adventures, Rush: A Disney Pixar Adventure and Zoo Tycoon, all perfect for the discerning seven-year-old in your household who throws a hissy fit at the mere mention of checkerboarding.

I audibly gasped reading this part.

FN-2187

How people are turning Xbox Play Anywhere releases of MS first party into a BAD thing is blowing my mind.

Totally. This annoys me so much.

Some people just can't get out of the console war mentality. Everything Microsoft does with games and Xbox has to hurt Sony in some way or it is a terrible move apparently -- even when it is beneficial to gamers.

There is enough video game money to go around for Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo to be successful. Everything each of them does doesn't have to be about taking down the other. Xbox One X doesn't have to be this magic device that miraculously catapults them ahead of Sony. It can just be a higher end box for people already invested in Xbox who want their games to look better or for people with 4K TVs that are starved for content. Why is that so terrible?

Also, do some of you just not play third-party games or something? All of the big games coming out this fall are on Xbox, and will most likely be best on Xbox One X (as far as consoles go). How is owning the system that they will run best on such a hard value proposition to understand?

oti

Banned
"Average joe" doesn't spend $500 to play those games when there are cheaper alternatives.

I wonder why people don't really get this simple fact at all. As if your average consumer strolling into a retailer would purchase a $500 machine instead of a $200 machine. Even Microsoft has said the Xbox S will sell more, since it's cheaper. Basic economics and consumer behaviour.

Kill3r7

If MS wants to have a great Xbox / PC ecosystem, they could simply have the online free on their console as it is on PC.

That would be a great selling point and something special now in the console market

I don't think it is worth it to them, if they have to offer free online. The amount of money they would lose is too significant.

cHaOs667

I miss Halo and Gears
Back-compat is cool
UI looks nice I guess

For people like you there is the X1 (S). At least here in Germany you can get an X1 S with 7 games for 279€ (Saturn or MediaMarkt - can't remember exactly)...

Radec

A boon for the fans, with a little exclusive vertical stand thrown in to boot. Given the hits the brand has taken over the past few years, staying upright might be all that can be asked for right now.

There were true 4K editions of Disneyland Adventures, Rush: A Disney Pixar Adventure and Zoo Tycoon, all perfect for the discerning seven-year-old in your household who throws a hissy fit at the mere mention of checkerboarding.

D6l8fu1.gif

It's weird but if you were to buy an Xbone at this point in time, I'd say don't bother buying any games because you can get by with just EA Access and Gamepass for a few months easily.

EA access is where it's at. I didn't want to rebuy Titanfall or BF1 on my Xbox (my son chose the Xbox so he could play with his friends) and I wanted to play them with him. 18 bucks and I've got em for a year. Can't beat that tbh.

At this point, I don't see the next Xbox being anything but a PC console.

They aren't going to bother with the exclusives today, then they won't be there ready to play tomorrow. Xbox really just seems to have quit competing.

Next gen, I fully expect the PS5/Nintendo rivalry to be full on, and Im curious how the PS5 will sell without the Xbox at its tail.

0racle

....and in other news, looks like the pre-orders are being sold out...everywhere thus far

We live in the time of resellers. It has never been as rampid as it is now. Most people buy now think later. Attempt to make a prophit and simply return if it does not work in their favor.

"Average joe" doesn't spend $500 to play those games when there are cheaper alternatives.

Ding

The kind of person who will drop 500-600 on a gaming console is exactly the type of person who will care about exclusives. Therein lies the problem.

The multiplats are also bigger system sellers early in the gen when first party output hasnt ramped up yet. 4 years in its definitely more about overall content and where your friends are at. It's no coincidence PS4 and Switch are wiping the floor with the X1 this year. They have killer games only available to play there.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.

Come on.

Not everyone wants to build or buy a PC that is capable of gaming! FFS, why do people still not understand that?

And yes, lots of people just use their tablets instead of PCs, these days. Not sure why you think that's worthy of sarcasm.

Not really. If they were doing it for the consumer, they'd be adding their games to popular platforms like Steam or GOG on day one, not trying to prop up Microsoft's own Windows 10 Store walled garden.

You don't have to support a competing platform to be pro consumer. They are obviously leveraging the fact that it's both their platforms, but it's still a very nice feature that no one else offers.

Gator86

The best place is where your friends and the best games are. For a lot of people, that's not going to be on an Xbox. I have never met a human, in person, that owns an Xbone. Not a single one. Power alone wins you nothing.

Not everyone wants to build or buy a PC that is capable of gaming! FFS, why do people still not understand that?

And yes, lots of people just use their tablets instead of PCs, these days. Not sure why you think that's worthy of sarcasm.

Honestly, most people that play video games seem to feel that way.

That's not how I feel, but it's hard to argue that I'm not in the minority.

Duxxy3

I wouldn't be surprised if that was actually the case outside of enthusiasts.

Obviously I don't account for everyone, but I don't know of a single person that ditched their PC and never went back. I'm sure there are people that have done it, but I don't personally know of one.

The appeal of a tablet wears off after a couple months. They're fine for watching youtube or netflix.

Not saying that tablets don't have their uses. We have few of them at work. They're used as mobile POS terminals. Everything else is done on PC.

katsais

I agree with EG. Frankly, I see the XBX as a tribute to Xbox fans (and console fans) everywhere. It just provides a premium experience (hardware-wise).

If I already owned an XBO S, I wouldn't have pre-ordered an XBX. The premium price would not be justified with the console has to offer. Outside the core fan base, I highly doubt the XBX will be much of a success.

Zedox

It's weird but if you were to buy an Xbone at this point in time, I'd say there isn't much point in buying any games because you can get by with just EA Access and Gamepass for a few months easily.

And MS would be happy with that GamePass sub, an most likely XBLG for those online games you get with GP and EAA.

I think the article is fine but I think it doesn't really matter as most consumers weren't watching gamescom. So that sales pitch really just echoing what they've been saying all along. MS just needs to get on the good 1st party games front and for hardcore gamers. But in the end the X1X will sell fine (not like we'll know exactly how much they sold anyways...lol) and get the increased game sales from gamers who want the highest fidelity games. Probably just a little bump.

Personally, I'm not buying a 1X until I get a 4K TV...I have no need for it right now.

oti

Banned

Do what you want. But the notion that Cuphead and Ori would be the games that sell someone a console is just odd to me. Those games in particular could be played on a laptop I'd assume.

Sure but we're not sure about quantity either. Also didn't only the Scropio editions go up?
I think bundled Scorpios were all that people could find, not sure on that though. I agree, no numbers known, but think there's a player base in the high end market with 4k tv's and desire to utilize them that will roll over their old xbox'/ps4 and pick one up...we'll see, but I certainly don't think the release is going to be doomed

Luckydog

For the longest time, the X made no sense to me, but I kind of get it now.

It exists almost solely for the current Xbox audience. Its purpose is to keep many of them from jumping into another ecosystem and to motivate their whales to continue spending lots and lots of money. There aren't going to be any giant exclusives from MS again this generation (outside of another Halo, Gears, Forza, etc.), because they know they've lost. The X is purely a stopgap for their current base.

So yeah, in light of that, their E3 and Gamescom efforts no longer baffle me. They aren't trying to sell new consumers on these products.

This seems like the most accurate assessment......

Top Bottom