• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: "Microsoft's final sales pitch for Xbox One X falls flat"

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
How people are turning Xbox Play Anywhere releases of MS first party into a BAD thing is blowing my mind.

I don't think they turned it into a bad things for gamer it's just a bad thing for the console.It will probably give more money to MS thanks to the (
awful
) windows store but it can drive pc gamer of the perspective of buying an Xbox.

There is another component to why Xbox is struggling. Honestly, a lot of their titles have failed to be the kind of flagship, tentpole system sellers that AAA first-party exclusives are expected to be.

If we look at some of the social metrics of how much interest are there in the games that are supposedly coming out in the first half of next year, comparing MS's 3 spring exclusives vs Sony's 2 big early 2018 games...

DlhLNK3.jpg

ouch.

dat spiderman hype. I guess it bridges both comics and console gamers. and movie fans.

Peltz

MS has never really been about first party titles beyond the usual Halo and Forza. They leaned on third parties since the first Xbox and the new exclusives they have tried this gen have been failures.

They lost the generation when they designed the xb1 for TV and Kinect and third parties put out better games on the ps4.

I'm still invested for Forza and better looking third party games. I'm just never going to have interest in PC gaming either.

The original Xbox and first half of the Xbox 360 era was filled with a ton of great exclusives though.

On Xbox from just 2001 to 2005, you had:

Breakdown
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Conker: Live & Reloaded
Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge
Dead or Alive 3
Dead or Alive Ultimate

Dead or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball
Forza Motorsport
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon 2: Summit Strike
Grabbed by the Ghoulies
Gunvalkyrie
Jet Set Radio Future
MechAssault
MechAssault 2: Lone Wolf
Metal Wolf Chaos
Ninja Gaiden
Ninja Gaiden Black
Otogi: Myth of Demons
Otogi 2: Immortal Warriors
Panzer Dragoon Orta

Phantom Crash
Project Gotham Racing
Project Gotham Racing 2

Quantum Redshift
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Critical Hour
RalliSport Challenge 2
Sega GT 2002
Steel Battalion
Steel Battalion: Line of Contact
ToeJam & Earl III: Mission to Earth
Unreal Championship
Unreal Championship 2: The Liandri Conflict

And doesn't even include console-exclusive games like Elders Scrolls III: Morrowind, Halo 1 or 2 (the biggest games on the system), or even Shenmue II that wasn't on competing consoles at the time. Plus it also had the best versions of every multiplatform game that came to the system.

That would be a big-time heavy-hitting list today. Microsoft's ability to put together a cool library feels non-existent compared to 15 years ago.

I think that Microsoft is operating an Xbox rebranding and it starts by how it wants to be positioned hardware-wise.

We have gone, from the "The entertainment box that you command with your voice" image, to the "most powerful hardware and most pro-gamer company you will ever know" image in just a few years.

At least I hope that's what they want to do, and that they will follow suit in the software department next.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
You obviously didn't read my post, you are probably also seemingly in the same position as this writer in terms of not knowing what he was getting. Keep the fanboy accusations to your inner monologue, I have my fair share of criticism for MS on these forums.

Maybe you need to re-read the article mate. It isn't saying that Gamescom was a disappointment, it's about how last night was Microsoft's last opportunity to sell the Xbox One X and that they didn't pull it off.

He wasn't 'warping a situation to fit a need for a conversation that will work out well for the outlet in terms of views', as you put it, he's pointing out that, to him, MS didn't offer a convincing reason to buy their brand new console on one of the world's biggest stages. Or are you sticking to 'repeated empty criticism'?

A boon for the fans, with a little exclusive vertical stand thrown in to boot. Given the hits the brand has taken over the past few years, staying upright might be all that can be asked for right now.

There were true 4K editions of Disneyland Adventures, Rush: A Disney Pixar Adventure and Zoo Tycoon, all perfect for the discerning seven-year-old in your household who throws a hissy fit at the mere mention of checkerboarding.

Brutal article. It's the kind of slap in the face Microsoft needs though. Bring back the OG Xbox and early 360 level output in cool varied games.

Hopefully they've got the box they want now and can pile on game development.

Duxxy3

And you don't even need to pay for xbox live I was interested in this new xbox now I might just put half that price in a new gpu without losing anything.Except maybe 360 games butr i can just buy a secondhand 360 for 50 bucks with games.

My Xbox 1 has become a Gears 1, 2, 3, Judgment adapter over the last year. I'm not sure I would have the system if it wasn't for BC.

Using the term "Spider-Man" seems kind of unfair, no? That would encompass everything, not just the video game.

I've filtered to "Games", as you can see.

Granted, Google algorithms and all that bullshit, so it's definitely not perfect, but it's the closest I can filter it to.

Besides, 2x the amount of media and social metrics of God of War is about there.

tbm24

Hold the phone.

Why don't you first tell us where that is even happening in this thread?

This isn't some vendetta against Microsoft by the public either. You only have to look at the number of Xbox 360 sales they had over a sustained period of time. The mass market responds well to products that they see as the perfect balance of quality and value. This generation, in comparison to what is on offer by the competition Microsoft have lagged behind from day one. Less games, more expensive, US centric marketing, mixed messaging... Need I go on? That then sets the tone, it sets the narrative and it's difficult to come back from that. In order to turn the tide they would need something major and groundbreaking. Something that sends shockwaves through the industry, even beyond the industry. But it's pretty clear they don't have that.

The Xbox One X is a very nice piece of hardware, but it's just that, a very nice piece of hardware and I find it shocking that a company known for its software can't seem to get their shit together in that respect.
The bolded is all the Xbox One X was ever going to be. It's the same deal as the PS4 Pro. Most you can hope for is Microsoft look towards the One X hardware wise when they work on whatever the next xbox is going to be.

Maximo

How people are turning Xbox Play Anywhere releases of MS first party into a BAD thing is blowing my mind.

With increased sales from being on PC too you would think Microsoft would then use that to fund more cross exclusives...

There were true 4K editions of Disneyland Adventures, Rush: A Disney Pixar Adventure and Zoo Tycoon, all perfect for the discerning seven-year-old in your household who throws a hissy fit at the mere mention of checkerboarding.

Damn Eurogamer, did Microsoft release a secret diss track your way

RSchmitz

They should at least have had a giant enemy crab or "console launch debut exclusive in fall 2017" riiiidge raceeer.

It's riidge raceeerrr.

The amount of people that would buy an X over a PS4 for the 4k capabilities is incredibly minuscule. MS needs exclusives to actually sell this thing and they've got nothing.

That's my deal. I've got one on order, but I don't think it's worth it to get rid of my one S and my PS4 pro when the pro isn't going to be that far behind.

Zutrax

Honestly, the only reason I'm buying this is because I can trade in my Xbox One for it to get a nice 4k disc player. I have a PS4 Pro, I have a gaming PC, I honestly should not be buying it if I was smarter with my money. But at the very least it'll be a nice platform to play third party titles that I'd rather play on a console in my living room than on my PC.

I really wish Microsoft had some good first party coming up. I could at least justify this as a Crackdown machine before it was delayed, but now all I seem to have are Cuphead and Super Lucky's Tale. Frankly, Microsoft has done a poor job this generation at making themselves a worthwhile pick over the other two console competitors.

Syrus

Banned
They never were going to a announce new games. I feel next years E3 will be make or break for them.

If you want the best looking multiplatform games on a CONSOLE then the X is for you.

That has always been their message and contrary to thoughts on GAF. Thats what matters for most people, not exclusives.

Now it being 500 may hurt that objective. I got my order in :D

The only real market I see for the Xbox One X is existing Xbox One owners. They're the only ones I could see motivated to spend $500 on the console since it refreshes a system they already have a lot of games for. Especially the dedicated early adopters of the original Xbox one. I'm not sure who else would jump in on this box.

The show yesterday was a very long infomercial. I can see it doing more damage than if they didn't have one and just announced a pre-order without it.

Not just that but it felt like it was also a big push for Mixer, trying to get people into it with giveaways yet the stream had many problems come up for many people.

Whole thing was a dud.

It's pretty simple. If you (a) don't like playing single player games; and (b) prefer to use a controller; then (c) the Xbox One X is likely the best experience available for you. Many on GAF don't fall into both these buckets, which is fine, but we exist. I guess Eurogamer doesn't understand us though. Oh well. We'll have to get validation somewhere else.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
I've filtered to "Games", as you can see.

Granted, Google algorithms and all that bullshit, so it's definitely not perfect, but it's the closest I can filter it to.

Besides, 2x the amount of media and social metrics of God of War is about there.

But what about people genuinely interested in the god of war? Mars ,Ares or any other ...
just in doubt it was sarcasm

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
The bolded is all the Xbox One X was ever going to be. It's the same deal as the PS4 Pro. Most you can hope for is Microsoft look towards the One X hardware wise when they work on whatever the next xbox is going to be.

I'm constantly confused as to what messaging people were reading that made them think this box was going to be anything but this. There hasn't been a single thing I read which told me that this box would have any exclusives or pc/xbox exclusives at launch or coming any time soon outside of the already known ones. Down the road, perhaps there's one or two, but even Halo (outside of Halo Wars) teams say no new Halo shooter anytime soon.

Balb

The original Xbox and first half of the Xbox 360 era was filled with a ton of great exclusives though.

On Xbox from just 2001 to 2005, you had:

Breakdown
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Conker: Live & Reloaded
Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge
Dead or Alive 3
Dead or Alive Ultimate

Dead or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball
Forza Motorsport
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon 2: Summit Strike
Grabbed by the Ghoulies
Gunvalkyrie
Jet Set Radio Future
MechAssault
MechAssault 2: Lone Wolf
Metal Wolf Chaos
Ninja Gaiden
Ninja Gaiden Black
Otogi: Myth of Demons
Otogi 2: Immortal Warriors
Panzer Dragoon Orta

Phantom Crash
Project Gotham Racing
Project Gotham Racing 2

Quantum Redshift
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Critical Hour
RalliSport Challenge 2
Sega GT 2002
Steel Battalion
Steel Battalion: Line of Contact
ToeJam & Earl III: Mission to Earth
Unreal Championship
Unreal Championship 2: The Liandri Conflict

And doesn't even include console-exclusive games like Elders Scrolls III: Morrowind, Halo 1 or 2 (the biggest games on the system), or even Shenmue II that wasn't on competing consoles at the time. Plus it also had the best versions of every multiplatform game that came to the system.

That would be a big-time heavy-hitting list today. Microsoft's ability to put together a cool library feels non-existent compared to 15 years ago.

It helps that they pretty much had a blank check to sign deals back then, which they seemingly don't have anymore.

I suspect most buyers for the XBX are people that are already in the Xbox eco-stystem, similiarly to PS4 Pro. I have a hard time believing, if you don't have a console, that you will buy the most expensive one.

Fuck, I wonder if MS know that their Play Anywhere program means people don't have to buy an Xbox. They're going to kick themselves when they realise they've forgotten about that loophole.

There is another component to why Xbox is struggling. Honestly, a lot of their titles have failed to be the kind of flagship, tentpole system sellers that AAA first-party exclusives are expected to be.

If we look at some of the social metrics of how much interest are there in the games that are supposedly coming out in the first half of next year, comparing MS's 3 spring exclusives vs Sony's 2 big early 2018 games...

DlhLNK3.jpg

Sea of Thieves is biding its time, like a shark deep below the surface before it rises up to devour the competition and claims its place as the best game ever made.

I'm going to be so heartbroken if it ends up being crap :*(

:jnc

dealer-

That's my deal. I've got one on order, but I don't think it's worth it to get rid of my one S and my PS4 pro when the pro isn't going to be that far behind.

Yeah the X might be a worthwhile investment if you knew every developer would maximize the potential of 6TF but as we have seen with the Pro, support will probably be rather lacklustre overall.

Anyway, buying the Pro has taught me not to buy into mid gen upgrades again.

It may be because I just got the XB1s last fall and barely use it other than for UHD Blu-ray but I have 0 desire to get one of these things. And I usually buy every console day one.
This is probably a factor too. Feel pretty burned for buying into the Pro hype. Never again.

The problem with the Xbox One is that it's brings pretty much nothing compared to the PS4. Ok some will say controller, ecosystem etc. and they're right, but that changes nothing overall for the masses. People will go for the best bang for their buck, which the PS4 does a way better job at imo.

I'm an Xbox One owner from almost day one and bought pretty much all their exclusives and have tons of games on their platform but to me, a lot of these games lack something. Maybe the games are too much more of the same, like Halo and Gears. I'm still not sure i want an Xbox One X as i know after the honeymoon period, i'm afraid i will realize that i just thrown money in the garbage as the console will bring nothing other than graphics and then it's back to square one.

It's just frustrating to see so many very good games going PS4 exclusive and no Xbox version. I'm talking stuff like Nier, Persona, Street Fighter V, the indie games and more recently Hellblade. I sometimes wonder what the f**k are Microsoft doing ?

For the longest time, the X made no sense to me, but I kind of get it now.

It exists almost solely for the current Xbox audience. Its purpose is to keep many of them from jumping into another ecosystem and to motivate their whales to continue spending lots and lots of money. There aren't going to be any giant exclusives from MS again this generation (outside of another Halo, Gears, Forza, etc.), because they know they've lost. The X is purely a stopgap for their current base.

So yeah, in light of that, their E3 and Gamescom efforts no longer baffle me. They aren't trying to sell new consumers on these products.

Lifeline

As soon as I saw the gamescom conference this year was just some people on a couch, I knew they had nothing. Good thing I didn't waste a hour and a half on it.

Can you imagine how much bigger the hype for this console would be if they actually had exclusives to show for. Missed opportunity by MS

But they announced yesterday a exclusive vertical stand that is included with the Project Scorpio Edition. Pretty hype.

Amneisac

Yeah the X might be a worthwhile investment if you knew every developer would maximize the potential of 6TF but as we have seen with the Pro, support will probably be rather lacklustre overall.

I think it's very likely that XboX will make your Pro a better investment.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
It's pretty simple. If you (a) don't like playing single player games; and (b) prefer to use a controller; then (c) the Xbox One X is likely the best experience available for you. Many on GAF don't fall into both these buckets, which is fine, but we exist. I guess Eurogamer doesn't understand us though. Oh well. We'll have to get validation somewhere else.

Again, Eurogamer aren't ragging on the Xbox One X for it is or isn't. The author is pointing out that MS's final 'sales pitch' for the X1X fell flat, which it did.

If MS are targeting gamers who prefer playing online and with a controller, why were the headline features a new Jurassic Park sim, Assassin's Creed trailer, and bloody 4K patches for kids games?

Also, as some have mentioned, if MS brass was willing to take the hit, $399 would make this thing blow up the ps4 pro, but those hopes were shattered at E3 already.
Agreed, though they could do something pretty close to that if they packaged two games with the system. Not that they will, but they could create a value parity that way.

Jotaka

At this point MS just accepted to be 3rd place in this generation and don't want to fight for the 2nd place anymore.

JlNX

Xbone X is releasing very soon and MS still can't offer what, to the writer of the article, feels like any kind of compelling reason to own it at the (one of the) biggest gaming event(s) of the world. I think that's not empty criticism at all.

But to think that this event was in someway going to do that is very strange, for someone in the press he should have known this was a Xbox E3 daily deal. Based on what he would need to convince him he was never going to get that from this event, so I find it strange he would only come to this realisation now. If he knew what this event was he could have written it before it even started, not to mention this article has been written multiple times on Eurogamer with out any change in this constant popular opinion. It seems like a meaningless repeat, I wonder why as an outlet or the writer why he wouldn't want to come at it from a different angle. An actual hard hitting interview with an Xbox exec would be far better for the conversation, Shannon Loftis is at Gamescom a perfect person to interview about first party. I just wonder why there is no actual constructive criticism (ideas), it's just another review of a situation that hasn't changed at all.

Top Bottom