• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: "Microsoft's final sales pitch for Xbox One X falls flat"

Mr_Moogle

As some who owns a PS4 Pro, Switch and a decent Gaming PC, I'm really struggling to find any reason to jump on the Microsoft bandwagon. Even Halo doesn't really have any pull any more.

I really have to wonder who they are marketing the Xbox One X to. The real tech nuts will already have high end PC's, people who are console only are unlikely to jump away from PS4 without some decent exclusives. Who does that leave? Tech enthusiasts who don't own a PC and people looking for a 4K Disc player?

Multi Platforms looking better on PS4 mattered.

Multi Platforms looking better on XB1X don't matter.

The internet is a wild place.

Better looking games on said platform is not a poor sales pitch. Many many consumers have yet to buy a Next Gen console.

What if I told you I actually chose Xbox one over PS4 because I find Xbox live better, it has a better controller and more apps? And a few years later they sealed the deal by adding integration with windows 10, added ea access and game pass (I love EA access, never buying an EA game ever again with this thing), gave me a 4k blu-ray player, and even early access on games!

No need to talk about exclusives when picking a console over another, plenty of other things to consider!

Even the Switch, it is the first Nintendo console I am not buying at launch. I actually cancelled my pre order as I don't find any reasons to own one right now.

It's not all about exclusives, as even though I own several MS exclusives on my Xbox One, they are far from being the games I play most, except for Forza.
You're not really disagreeing with him, but there's still more evidence that people do buy consoles for exclusives, along with attractive hardware of course.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

Better looking games on said platform is not a poor sales pitch. Many many consumers have yet to buy a Next Gen console.
I think price is going to be a bigger factor than graphics at this point.

Socivol

What if I told you I actually chose Xbox one over PS4 because I find Xbox live better, it has a better controller and more apps? And a few years later they sealed the deal by adding integration with windows 10, added ea access and game pass (I love EA access, never buying an EA game ever again with this thing), gave me a 4k blu-ray player, and even early access on games!

No need to talk about exclusives when picking a console over another, plenty of other things to consider!

Even the Switch, it is the first Nintendo console I am not buying at launch. I actually cancelled my pre order as I don't find any reasons to own one right now.

It's not all about exclusives, as even though I own several MS exclusives on my Xbox One, they are far from being the games I play most, except for Forza.

I would say you're the exception not the rule. If most people felt the way you did then MS would've been able to have kept their lead last generation and maintained it this generation.

Lothars

It would have mattered to for the xbox if in 2013, they had a better looking console plus considering the ps4 was a 100 dollars cheaper. Now it matters but it barely matters because they are releasing an overpriced expensive box that yes runs games better but again for at least a 100 dollars more than the Pro. If they were the same price or close to that makes all the difference.

Edit: I am getting an xbox one x as well but it doesn't mean that I am not going to keep calling them out.

I would say you're the exception not the rule. If most people felt the way you did then MS would've been able to have kept their lead last generation and maintained it this generation.
Exactly.

Socivol

The price AND the fact that it's a mid-generation refresh 4 years into this cycle. How much longer do we think this generation is going to last? They have been very clear this is not the successor to Xbox One so you have to wonder when the successor will roll out.

Crayon

Saying "exclusives" all the time sort of muddies the waters. I swear it would be more accurate and clear to look at the total difference in library. Lots of games that we would not call exclusive for some arbitrary reason, but nonetheless are available on one of these consoles while excluding the other.

FaustusMD

Unconfirmed Member
I really have to wonder who they are marketing the Xbox One X to. The real tech nuts will already have high end PC's, people who are console only are unlikely to jump away from PS4 without some decent exclusives. Who does that leave? Tech enthusiasts who don't own a PC and people looking for a 4K Disc player?

This is not so hard to answer. I have a 1080 TI but I still play a lot of games as console games, on consoles. Putting aside lackluster PC ports, some games just feel better on console whether they're crossplay or not—the services, invites, party chats, etc., all make it a better experience on console compared to PC. I will play Red Dead on the Xbox One X because it's a console game for me; even if there's a PC version, I prefer to play it on my 4KTV, with HDR (something lacking right now in PC gaming in a big, bad way). I also prefer Xbox Live and PSN to PC for many games this generation because of less cheating in the online environments. We see some exploits, sure, but it's still a more consistent, even playing field than the PC for the most part. Maybe most importantly, plenty of people game primarily in their living rooms or on their "biggest TV". Getting your PC migrated to that setup isn't ideal for everyone, so consoles answer that call.

The Xbox One X is the most powerful console where multiplatform games will look and play best if you prefer consoles. That's pretty much the most succinct way to put it. Not everyone games on PC and not everyone wants to play with a mouse/keyboard as their main input device.

Gitaroo

Price has always been the main factor, if Wii was launched at the same price as ps3 it wouldn't have been half as successful. Xbox OG would have won at the end if graphics is the main factor, lots of multi platform games looks and runs like turd on the ps2. PS4 will still be the main system most of the games will be played on.

Fox Mulder

The price AND the fact that it's a mid-generation refresh 4 years into this cycle. How much longer do we think this generation is going to last? They have been very clear this is not the successor to Xbox One so you have to wonder when the successor will roll out.

I don't care. I bought the xb1 in 2014 and buying the X to get better versions of games I play now.

Mr_Moogle

Multiplatform games looking better on PS4 only mattered temporarily while the console was still on level pegging with the Xbox One, new in the market and lacking decent exclusives. As soon as Sony got the jump on Microsoft in regards to games, it became a footnote as it should be.

It's always been about the games. People won't care if a console has weaker hardware if the games are there.

Metfanant

If you have not jumped into this generation up to this point...then cost has very likely been a major factor in your decision...

Is it likely then, that you would make the choice to purchase the $500 XboneX? I doubt it...I would say the XboneS or PS4 Slim would be the go to...and in that case, the PS4 will still get the better looking games...

univbee

Saying "exclusives" all the time sort of muddies the waters. I swear it would be more accurate and Lear to look at the total difference in library. Lots of games that we would not call exclusive for some arbitrary reason, but nonetheless are available on one of these consoles while excluding the other.

That said this just tips the scales even further into PS4's favor, remember a huge library of indies, Anime and Square Enix games do the "PS4 and PC but not Xbox" release strategy.

mister slim

Neo Member
It's the "have friends to play with on XBL" bit that's going to be the killer, since it seems like the bulk of the 360 userbase switched to PS4 this time round, and I would expect that most of them wouldn't be prepared to switch back.

Well, that plus if they really care about the most powerful hardware they, and all their friends, are playing on PS4 right now. I don't think there's a huge market in "people who insist on switching to the most powerful hardware and can persuade all their friends to do so."

Papacheeks

Banned
Well there's been two Uncharteds if you count the DLC thing since TLOU came out, and there's a God of War out next year and no doubt more to come from both (though perhaps not from ND in UC's case).. So I'm not quite sure what that says about the supposed "Uncharted killer" and "God of War killer"

Also, while I haven't played either so I'm sure you know more than me here but calling either of them an Uncharted or God of War killer seems like it's streching it quite thin. It's like saying DR4 is a Tomb Raider killer lol, two completely different games.

Well it seems like you only see what you want to see, which doesn't particularly surprise me. Perhaps that has something to do with the types of threads you read/post in which says more about you than it does I, I'd say.

WTF?

HotHamBoy

Multiplatform games looked better on PS4 and it was $100 cheaper...

Crayon

That said this just tips the scales even further into PS4's favor, remember a huge library of indies, Anime and Square Enix games do the "PS4 and PC but not Xbox" release strategy.

That's true. I'm suggesting that the difference in success that everyone wants to attribute to exclusives, would be more accurately predicted by looking at the total variety and number of games available. And from there, how many in what genres that are how popular in what regions, etc.

The difference in success is down to games, but describing the difference in library with the term "exculsive" makes it harder to get clarity.

HotHamBoy

That's true. I'm suggesting that the difference in success that everyone wants to attribute to exclusives, would be more accurately predicted by looking at the total variety and number of games available. And from there, how many in what genres that are how popular in what regions, etc.

The difference in success is down to games, but describing the difference in library with the term "exculsive" makes it harder to get clarity.

Console Exclusive.

I have a hard time imaging someone spending $500 on a Xbox One X who hasn't spent $250 on a current gen console. Better looking multiplats is important early on, but less of a factor once you've already invested into an ecosystem. The cost also is high enough that most people who can afford it could probably afford a gaming PC instead.

Syrus

Banned
I have a hard time imaging someone spending $500 on a Xbox One X who hasn't spent $250 on a current gen console. Better looking multiplats is important early on, but less of a factor once you've already invested into an ecosystem. The cost also is high enough that most people who can afford it could probably afford a gaming PC instead.

I can afford a gaming PC easily. I prefer consoles.

SOR5

Does the sentence "I want a powerful console that can play games" send people into some sort of hyper-confused existential crisis?

mister slim

Neo Member

If I want to be conspiracy-minded, I can hypothesize MS is launching the X to screw with Sony's timelines for the PS5. At what point can Sony sell a successor to the PS4 that demonstrates a clear superiority to the X? Four years from now? But there's not much advantage to prolonging a generation that MS is already losing ground in. It feels like MS is making enough money off Xbox to not walk away, but they don't have the will or a clear idea how to regain velocity. They need a new J Allard I guess.

I personally doubt a significant amount of people who haven't bought a next gen system in 4 years are going to decide, now, to buy one for half a grand.

seat

I can't remember the last time I was less excited for a new console. The only way this new Xbox is a success is if Microsoft has humble expectations for it, and that's hard to tell with them sometimes.

Metfanant

If I want to be conspiracy-minded, I can hypothesize MS is launching the X to screw with Sony's timelines for the PS5. At what point can Sony sell a successor to the PS4 that demonstrates a clear superiority to the X? Four years from now? But there's not much advantage to prolonging a generation that MS is already losing ground in. It feels like MS is making enough money off Xbox to not walk away, but they don't have the will or a clear idea how to regain velocity. They need a new J Allard I guess.

Didn't we just have a MS insider tell us about how unprofitable the Xbox division is?

Socivol

This is something that's always been weird to me too. The PS4 Pro was clearly just iterative but the One X really does seem like more of a generational leap but they say it's not, it's priced as a product that would be a generational leap as well when comparing the Xbox One S to the One X pricing. I really don't understand what they are going for with this product.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Does the sentence "I want a powerful console that can play games" send people into some sort of hyper-confused existential crisis?
Only when they can't sort the logic into neat and tidy folders which add up to their point of view or something they think makes sense.

I own a solid enough gaming PC, PS4 Pro, Xbox One(OG no kinect). There are few reasons most would agree with proving a need for me to buy an XBOX One X. There is only one argument I care about when it comes to me getting one. I want one. End of list.

let's be honest here. This is an established generation. PS4 is killing it - they launched better and reached core gamers with their game share policies; lots of things they did right. Lots of exclusive games. Multiplatforms might now look better but $250 better?

* and at least on PS4pro, you get better visuals for PSVR. (so there's a reason to upgrade)

At this late cycle saying "hey we have the most powerful platform" isn't going to get anyone to swap over. And to get them to pay more for an ecosystem that has less games (and you can also play said games on PC) really isn't going to do them any favours.

univbee

It's a bit of a crazy time since we're more than far enough into this generation that the proverbial lines in the sand have been drawn. Unlike in past generations people have amassed sizable digital libraries with zero trade-in value and that sunk cost is going to be off-putting to many looking to switch sides, not to mention if they play online multiplayer with a regular-ish group it's unlikely they're going to hive mind a PS4->Xbox One X migration, especially at the costs that would entail. This migration was somewhat doable going from PS3/360 to PS4/XB1 due to those being clean slates (other than cheevos), maybe if Microsoft launched the XB1 with the 360 BC it would have been different...

I very highly doubt the Xbox One X is going to sell to people who don't already have an Xbox One in any sort of meaningful numbers, especially since most of the people who didn't buy an Xbox One the first time likely didn't do so because of $499 vs $399 much like now. Also much like then people are a bit dubious about Microsoft's "most powerful console ever" claims, even though this time it's true.

If you're already an Xbox One owner I can see this appealing to you because of the higher end specs depending on trade in value. If you're new to this generation you've got other options including the cheaper S. If Microsoft is counting on this machine essentially appealing to "hardcore" gamers or xbox core gamers at $500 with a lackluster library then they're in for some hurt.

mister slim

Neo Member
Didn't we just have a MS insider tell us about how unprofitable the Xbox division is?

I don't know, they're doing 9 billion a year in revenue mostly from game sales and Xbox Live, with hardly any development expenditures, so I can't see how they could be negative right now. With 30 million consoles sold, if MS is still net negative on the Xbox One something is catastrophically wrong in the Xbox group.

Abylim

If you're already an Xbox One owner I can see this appealing to you because of the higher end specs depending on trade in value. If you're new to this generation you've got other options including the cheaper S. If Microsoft is counting on this machine essentially appealing to "hardcore" gamers or xbox core gamers at $500 with a lackluster library then they're in for some hurt.

Yeah that seems like their goal. Appealing to existing owners, I mean.

I think it will do well with them, but I can't see either bringing in the masses. Just like the Pro, it's supposed to be an enthusiast product. People looking for the one x to "save" the brand are misguided.

Mr_Moogle

This is not so hard to answer. I have a 1080 TI but I still play a lot of games as console games, on consoles. Putting aside lackluster PC ports, some games just feel better on console whether they're crossplay or not—the services, invites, party chats, etc., all make it a better experience on console compared to PC. I will play Red Dead on the Xbox One X because it's a console game for me; even if there's a PC version, I prefer to play it on my 4KTV, with HDR (something lacking right now in PC gaming in a big, bad way). I also prefer Xbox Live and PSN to PC for many games this generation because of less cheating in the online environments. We see some exploits, sure, but it's still a more consistent, even playing field than the PC for the most part. Maybe most importantly, plenty of people game primarily in their living rooms or on their "biggest TV". Getting your PC migrated to that setup isn't ideal for everyone, so consoles answer that call.

The Xbox One X is the most powerful console where multiplatform games will look and play best if you prefer consoles. That's pretty much the most succinct way to put it. Not everyone games on PC and not everyone wants to play with a mouse/keyboard as their main input device.

I was mostly speculating that Xbox One X won't resonate with the mainstream because it has no identity. This isn't to say it's not perfect for your needs.

I don't really agree with your other points about PC gaming though.

Lackluste ports on PC? I'd say 95% of games will run better on this platform. I mean every now and then there are exceptions like Arkham Knight and the occassional shitty Japanese port but I most if the time I will get better performance on PC.

Your online experience sounds pretty different from mine too. I've always had a lot better time with online gaming on PC where you aren't paying a premium for basic functionality. Cheating isn't a major problem in any of the games I play (RL, OW, BF1). I've seen a person use an aim-bot maybe one time in Overwatch but can't think of anything else off the top of my head. Certainly not a major issue for me anyway.

The mouse and keyboard thing isn't fair criticsim given you can use just about any controller with a PC. I really don't see why being forced to use a specific controller on a console is somehow superior.

I'll admit HDR is a nice bonus and consoles are definitely more lounge ready. The rest has me scractching my head a bit.

Waggles

This entire year has been one fantastic release after another, and the best among them have almost entirely been exclusive to ps4.

Except for Sonic Mania. Only the second new fantastic title I've played this year that wasn't locked to a Sony platform, the first being BoTW.

Honestly really disappointed at how mediocre Crackdown 3 looks. I expected much more with such lofty aspirations for Cloud gaming that MS showed an E3 or two ago.

Whatever. Enjoy your boneX, people.

Zyae

If you think the Xbox brand is at threat of disbanding you need to log off the internet and come back to reality for a minute.

This is something that's always been weird to me too. The PS4 Pro was clearly just iterative but the One X really does seem like more of a generational leap but they say it's not, it's priced as a product that would be a generational leap as well when comparing the Xbox One S to the One X pricing. I really don't understand what they are going for with this product.

The message with the Xbox One X has always been "a console that plays Xbox One games at 4K". That's basically the crux of it.

I don't think it will sell particularly well because A) no compelling exclusives B) mind share this generation is very much in Sony's favour C) it's expensive. I could be wrong though... we'll just have to wait and see.

univbee

The mouse and keyboard thing isn't fair criticsim given you can use just about any controller with a PC. I really don't see why being forced to use a specific controller on a console is somehow superior.

It definitely comes up if you play online since it's been scientifically proven by John Carmack and others that a keyboard and mouse is objectively a better control scheme for first-person shooters; the main situation where this meaningfully applies is playing online on PC, since doing so with a controller is putting a pretty serious disadvantage onto yourself compared to everyone else. If you must play a first-person shooter online with a controller, you're going to be way better off doing so on a console than on a PC in most cases (the nuances of certain specific FPSes do complicate the comparison, like Halo's very heavily designed with a controller in mind so the keyboard isn't as big of an advantage there)

Yup.

I finally decided after years of waiting to jump in and buy one of the HD twins.

It was literally no question that the Playstation offering was superior in every way. It is embarrassing how few games Microsoft have gotten for their consoles.

The message with the Xbox One X has always been "a console that plays Xbox One games at 4K". That's basically the crux of it.

Um...what?

t10JTWm.jpg

DCEFPECXgAQ4XZa.jpg

Neith

Banned
I'd say it's an amazing system for someone who doesn't yet own a current gen console and has the money to afford it. Or perhaps the most hardcore of current Xbox users who already have lots invested in that system

But other than that...yeah it's a really hard sell. I really don't know who they're after with it.

The problem being there is no reason whatsoever for a person to skip all the glorious Sony exclusives if they actually like games.

Top Bottom