• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer Miyamoto interview: Future of 3D Mario (Galaxy)

I'm guessing in the same interview where Miyamoto confirmed Pikmin 4 he talked about the difficulty of making 3D Mario games for a large audience in comparison to SMB which everyone can play. Teases new 3D Mario for future hardware.
“[A new Mario Galaxy] is always in discussion. But even with Mario 64 there was a lot of feedback about motion sickness with the 3D or maybe us making it too difficult.”
“Going back to our roots and making New Super Mario Bros., anyone can play that. So that’s why we went back. We’re always thinking, is there a middle ground where people who do enjoy the 3D worlds of Galaxy and those who enjoy New Super Mario Bros. can both enjoy it? We’re always looking at those opportunities.”
“On the other hand, me and [Yoshiaki] Koizumi-san, director of Galaxy, are always looking to challenge Galaxy and do another 3D action title. However we can’t make so many games at once in parallel. But as the hardware technology gets better and advances, I think there will be a lot of opportunity for both options.”
On the hardware that's needed, Miyamoto says:
“Wii U’s definitely good enough in terms of hardware performance, it is more the workload of the team. If you look at Star Fox Zero, the TV and GamePad are both rendered in 60 frames, so in total that’s 120 frames. It’s really just a matter of the CPU speed at this point.”
Miyamoto also stated that he hopes that Splatoon will help players come to terms with a 3D camera for the next 3D Mario and that Nintendo is always looking at ways to surprise players.
Source: http://nintendoeverything.com/miyam...-on-other-hardware-wants-to-surprise-players/
Probably should've linked to Eurogamer too (oops)
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-hardware-technology-gets-better-and-advances

ThisOne

The fact that he thinks, in 2015, that players still haven't come to terms with a 3D camera is kind of mind boggling to me.

" the TV and GamePad are both rendered in 60 frames, so in total that’s 120 frames. It’s really just a matter of the CPU speed at this point"

Does the gamepad really need 60 FPS though ? It's not like you look at it a lot

RomanceDawn

I still need to 3D Land, that really felt like a "compromise" between 2D and 3D Mario. Give me more 64/Sunshine/Galaxy with multiplayer and I will be happy.

DJIzana

I think Galaxy 3 would be cool I would personally like to see them go a different direction and do something more ambitious.

So there was feedback with motion sickness with 64, a game released 3 console generations ago, and thats what they are paying attention to? Everyone new 2 3D cameras have to get use to it, its called learning, and if they get sick, there isn't much you can do. Unless of course just not make the game, but thats just wasted potential.

Orayn

The fact that he thinks, in 2015, that players still haven't come to terms with a 3D camera is kind of mind boggling to me.

He kind of has a point, though. People underestimate the challenges a 3D camera can pose to people who aren't super familiar with the medium. Given Nintendo's focus on accessibility, it makes sense that they're still thinking about it for their most recognizable series.

Alrus

As long as they go back to the original 3D games style at some point and not the 3DWorld/Land one, I'll be happy.

Neoxon

So at the very least, the NX Console's controller will have gyro. I honestly can't see them releasing the next 3D Mario on the Wii U at this point, more so since the Wii U already has 3D World.

dose

“Wii U’s definitely good enough in terms of hardware performance, it is more the workload of the team. If you look at Star Fox Zero, the TV and GamePad are both rendered in 60 frames, so in total that’s 120 frames. It’s really just a matter of the CPU speed at this point.”
Except Starfox looks like shit. Not a great example.

On the 3D camera thing, I imagine Nintendo heard some complaints about 3D cameras combined with sales data of the 2D games to back it up.
Shame since the 3D games are considerably better

NeonZ

He's probably thinking about the enormous NSMBDS/Wii audience while talking about that, which is kind of silly since it has been obviously lost now.

JoeM86

Except Starfox looks like shit. Not a great example.

It has a simplistic style, sure, but it runs like a dream. Locked 60fps on both TV and GamePad.

He's probably thinking about the enormous NSMBDS/Wii audience while talking about that, which is kind of silly since it has been obviously lost now.

Closing accessibility for new players, even if "oh sales are down so only core people get the games" would be suicide.

Ivan 3414

The players that bought New Super Mario Bros Wii in droves? Many of them haven't.

There's a level of accessibility 2D has that an extra dimension hasn't yet achieved. I think Miyamoto is looking to achieve that accessibility. or near it, with new 3D Mario titles. I guess that's why 3D World is a step back, of sorts.

Mogwai

" the TV and GamePad are both rendered in 60 frames, so in total that’s 120 frames. It’s really just a matter of the CPU speed at this point"

Does the gamepad really need 60 FPS though ? It's not like you look at it a lot
A photo realistic space simulator like Star fox U needs 60 fps.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I wouldn't extrapolate that they are or will be working on a "pure" Galaxy 3, honestly.
I'd say that they came up with some sort of hybrid between the 2D and 3D camera concept with Mario 3D Land/World, and he is clearly pointing at a more "Galaxy" approach in terms of camera control/scheme, but not necessarily a Galaxy 3.
I'd say that the Splatoon camera control words could point at a similar structure in-between a more "real" 3D camera (like Splatoon) and a fragmented world (like Splatoon, and somehow more similar to 3D World than Galaxy, even if Galaxy already pointed toward that direction compared to Mario64 or Sunshine.

Wasn't thinking about this. That audience is long gone. Why are they still worrying about being completely accessible so much?

Cyd0nia

Banned
I know *lots* of people who can't control 3D games as well as 2D ones. Its a genuine perceptual / motor skill problem that people seem to suffer from. We're veterans of gaming, we're used to it, but I definitely think he's right that there is a huge well of people that don't know how to control them.

The problem is, they might not WANT to control them. They're probably happy flinging angry birds or playing the 2D games.

Super Mario 3D World was a great marriage of the two styles, but that's as far as I'd like to see the compromise go I think. Its already a little bit on the easy side.

The 3D Marios should be a challenge for the veteran gamer. If that makes them more niche than the 2D offerings, so be it.

Reallink

In almost 20 years and 10s of thousands of hours trolling videogame magazines and forums, I have never once heard someone say Mario 64 (or any 3D character platformer for that matter) made them sick. Literally, 100%, never. Not even suggested or alluded to.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
In almost 20 years and 10s of thousands of hours trolling videogame magazines and forums, I have never once heard someone say Mario 64 (or any 3D character platformer for that matter) made them sick. Literally, 100%, never. Not even suggested or alluded to.
The audience that made New Super Mario Bros and New Super Mario Bros Wii successful is not the audience that trolls video game magazines and forums.

The thing is, they made by video game enthusiasts, and it's not video game enthusiasts who can't handle 3D games.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
The 3D Marios should be a challenge for the veteran gamer. If that makes them more niche than the 2D offerings, so be it.

I think that the matter is pretty complex.

wouldn't the 2d ones more keen to satisfy the hardcore difficulty thirst? I mean, even in terms of eye-catch the 3D ones should be more able to attract the "casual" audience.

on the other hand, the 2d movement/camera controls are easier in the 2D environment, so more suitable for the casual market.

so, at the end, I think that there is a dicotomy somewhere

"Symplistic style" and "being a barren wasteland" are two different things. We've not seen an actual level that looks promising (or at least I haven't).

The issue is they wanted the cockpit view running the exact same as the TV. The Wii U is ancient hardware wise. Instead of using the gamepad for a boring cockpit view, they should have went the more traditional route.

For "players" when you're reading a quote from someone like Miyamoto, you really need to consider it as being used in a far wider application than the typical idea of a "gamer".

For something like Mario, it's quite clear that there is a far smaller audience for the 3D series than the 2D games, and you can see from Nintendo's own efforts with the New! series and 3D World/Land that they see that as an something they'd like to rectify so that the 3D Mario games can enjoy greater popularity. They have - rightly, I think - identified free-roaming and camera control as a problem there and have obviously been looking for ways to work around that.

You have to remember that they see Mario as a character for everyone, and want his games to appeal to everyone, so 3D control/camera movement is an obstacle there - you only have to spend a few minutes playing a 3D Mario game with someone who isn't already well-accustomed to that kind of control scheme/camera to see how offputting it can be.

There's no point in saying: "Well, millions of people buy Tomb Raider/Gears/etc.", because that audience isn't who they're chasing - and really, how do they make Mario appeal to that group? They want everyone to play the game, and are keen to have it appeal to as broad a base as possible - hence concerns over difficulty/control etc. that might seem laughable to someone who cut their teeth on Mario 64 and has played hundreds of 3D titles since.

You can also note that they don't seem to have this public concern when they're talking about more niche/enthusiast titles - it's about their most accessible mascot.

You'd be surprised. Familiarizing with a virtual 3D environment requires some conditioning, even if seasoned gamers might not realize it.

sales numbers support his claim
Sales for what though? Players wanting a new 3D Mario aimed at the more core player market are playing almost exclusively 3D games- Batman, MGS, Assassin's Creed, COD, etc.

Nintendo is still primarily aiming at their diminishing pool of fans regardless of how easy or friendly they make the Mario experience. It's not doing them any favors to neuter game.

cacildo

Open world 3d mario game focused on exploration would solve all the problems at once

With 2 players one at the tv the other at the gamepad

squall23

Hey, I would love a SM64 2. I just want a new Mario with a great amount of movement options like he did in SM64 (even if some were kind of useless). Made him feel like a ninja.

Top Bottom