• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer Miyamoto interview: Future of 3D Mario (Galaxy)

Griss

I'm guessing in the same interview where Miyamoto confirmed Pikmin 4

Wait, what? What?!?

*Rushes off to find other thread*

is there a middle ground where people who do enjoy the 3D worlds of Galaxy and those who enjoy New Super Mario Bros. can both enjoy it? We’re always looking at those opportunities

This was always quite clearly the reason for the 3D Land / World games. 3D manipulation of Mario is just too high a barrier of entry for most people. Sad but true.

lmao the interview shows a future where they will probably make 3d mario games in the style of galaxy and past games, and yet people are crying over nothing. It's like people only read the part outside of context that could eventually lead them to being offended at nintendo.

JoeM86

The expanded audience that Nintendo use to cater for are happy playing on their phones and tablets.

Sony don't try and focus on the wider audience and they are doing just fine..

Sony don't make successful platformers where camera and precision is key.

Also, it's not just expanded audience, it's new audience. My nephew is starting to like games, but he struggles with 3D cameras, but does alright in games with fixed cameras. Does that mean he should not play games?

Remember, you were part of an "expanded" audience once. Shutting out the expanded and building audience is a way to make sure your company dies.

I see no reason why we can't have both. Nintendo just seems to be cranking out way too many 2d platformers this generation. :(

Thankfully, Miyamoto essentially said that there's room for both.

Zalman

I see this was great news that they're considering making a new Galaxy and people still find something to complain about.

Kouriozan

There are definitely people who find 3D Mario games intimidating and hard to control. Why do you think the 2D games always sell more?

Not specifically 3D Mario but my mother played (and still plays) games, enjoyed the NES/SNES Marios A LOT but never played the 3D ones, she would find those too hard to control.
She even bought the GBA ports.

Sophia

Those rabbits were a pretty bad tutorial though. I remember taking a while with them the first time I played Galaxy, even though I had completed all of Sunshine. They don't really teach much and yet can be rather frustrating.

Fair point, and I do actually remember having slight difficultly with them myself. But even most players can catch one of them without too much trouble. These two couldn't. The mere idea that they were moving in a 3D Space and that they could use momentum to cut the rabbits off never occurred to them at all.

I also remember even further back trying out Super Mario 64 for the first time. That was quite the experience, having never really played a 3D game like that before. Camera control was pretty much a foreign concept to me. I imagine that's how people who don't regularly play video games feel when they pick up a 3D Mario game, or quite possibly even something like Minecraft.

Starfox looks like shit so it's no wonder it's 60fps on TV and gamepad.

Nintendo games often look amazing but let's not act like much more powerful hardware wouldnt be a good thing, Miyamoto.

Why? He said there's opportunity for both options.

Did you read what he actually said or just the stuff about 3D camera movement being an issue for some players?

there's opportunity for both options is a great thing to say on paper until you look at the last quite-a-few mario game releases. proof is in the pudding

The expanded audience that Nintendo use to cater for are happy playing on their phones and tablets.

Sony don't try and focus on the wider audience and they are doing just fine..

exactly. the casual audience by it's definition is nearly impossible to grab in a dedicated sense. call of duty did it but even then it will over stay it's welcome. chasing them is an endless endeavor versus building a solid dedicated base

But how easy do you find Mario 64 now?

much easier than it was for me a child actually. just 100% it on wii u vc quite recently

rex

Its important to remember also that we're not just talking about making games for "moms and dads" or whatever, but also for the kids of today who have not been playing Mario for 20 years.

But theyr must have been plenty of six year olds whose first console was n64. And i would think the majority handled the game fine.

If were gonna worry that people who grew up on 2d mario cant play the 3d games, and brand new gamers cant play 3d games, were gonna convince ourselves that the 11-12m ceiling for 3d mario doesnt exist. We know it exists! 12 m is not a bad days work nintendo!

In any case, the point is moot. 3d land wound up right around sm64 and smg in sales. Theres nowhere else to go to make it more accessible

JoeM86

Starfox looks like shut so it's no wonder it's 60fps on TV and gamepad.

Nintendo games often look amazing but let's not act like much more powerful hardware wouldnt be a good thing, Miyamoto.

He isn't acting like that at all? In fact, he's saying that powerful hardware is a good thing...

there's opportunity for both options is a great thing to say on paper until you look at the last quite-a-few mario game releases. proof is in the pudding

You mean the last 2. One which has sold ~11 million and the other that has sold 3 million on a dead console and are critically acclaimed?

entremet

Also, why are people thinking Miyamoto's comments mean no more 3D marios?

That's silly. We'll keep getting those.

I hope that when they say they want a new Galaxy game, they're merely talking about making another "open" 3D Mario title. What I mean is that while Galaxy was linear in its level design, 3D Land/World were a literal series of levels. Galaxy was kind of an in between point where the levels were linear but had side attractions and no timer. I'd like to see something like 64 or Sunshine again.

KJRS_1993

To be fair, especially on the N64, 3D games were brutal when it came to motion sickness and the like. Mario 64 and Goldeneye, no?

If they were to try and reintroduce 3D Mario, they would have to think very carefully on how best to reintroduce players who gave up so many years ago because of it. Do they even want Mario anymore?

I do miss it though :(

But theyr must have been plenty of six year olds whose first console was n64. And i would think the majority handled the game fine.

yes but the six year olds nowadays are coming from ultra-simple mobile games (not all are of course), so better make the entire game easier rather than force adaptation

You mean the last 2. One which has sold ~11 million and the other that has sold 3 million on a dead console and are critically acclaimed?

oh you're talking sales? also that "dead" console should remind you what happens when you abandon your dedicated base

Yup, exactly my point. People asking for "more difficult games" are thinking in terms of the skills they've gotten much better at

for me sure, but the children in my family handle the newer marios magnitudes easier than the full 3d ones (i've helped them play both). anecdotal of course but i believe stating the newer games are much easier than the older 3d-controlled ones is highly objective

No, I'm talking about the fact that they are critically acclaimed. I was using sales as an indicator of success, sure, but let's not act like they're bad games.

oh they're not at all, just much easier

Also, it's not just expanded audience, it's new audience. My nephew is starting to like games, but he struggles with 3D cameras, but does alright in games with fixed cameras. Does that mean he should not play games?

He should do what the rest of us did, keep trying until he gets better, it's a good life lesson. No need to dumb shit down.

And no I wasn't once part of the expanded audience, I'm in my 30's, I've been gaming for pretty much the entire time gaming has existed.

JoeM86

oh you're talking sales? also that "dead" console should remind you what happens when you abandon your dedicated base

No, I'm talking about the fact that they are critically acclaimed. I was using sales as an indicator of success, sure, but let's not act like they're bad games.

Why? He said there's opportunity for both options.

Did you read what he actually said or just the stuff about 3D camera movement being an issue for some players?

I did read the whole thing.
Why should I care about some players? I want a product thats good for me, not for anybody else. "opportunity for both options" with a Nintendo that is allergic to difficulty options simply means one last level/world which is worthwhile to play and I'm sorry, I did that once in Galaxy 2, wasting my time through a boring game only to get to that last stretch with worthwhile gameplay, and im not gonna do that again.

JoeM86

He says that, but the first party output doesn't reflect it.

Almost as if games take time to be developed...

Why should I care about some players? I want a product thats good for me, not for anybody else. "opportunity for both options" with a Nintendo that is allergic to difficulty options simply means one last level/world which is worthwhile to play and I'm sorry, I did that once in Galaxy 2, wasting my time through a boring game only to get to that last stretch with worthwhile gameplay, and im not gonna do that again.

Because making a game that caters to everyone is more beneficial, not just for Nintendo, not just for the casual audience, but for everyone.

geordiemp

My thoughts are I believe its much cheaper to make 2D platformers and isometric platformers than full 3D worlds like Galaxy.

For WiiU, they want to make lower cost quicker products, but might spend and invest more for the next hardware.

It is entirely possible the problem is you being extremely ahead of the curve and not the game. I found Galaxy 2 to be easy, but in NO way boring.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
This belief that people somehow get confused and motion sick by full 3D cameras is still a thing with Nintendo? Fuck, we're not all little children who have never played a 3D game before. But maybe Nintendo's target audience is.

I want a new Galaxy-type Mario, dammit.

NeonZ

Oh, I didn't know that NSMBWiiU sold less than 3D World...

3d World itself was heavily influenced by the kind of thought that he mentions in that interview though. It really wasn't focused on the audience that enjoyed previous 3d Mario games, but rather attempting in many ways to make the 3d games more like the 2d NSMB series. That's why it had a pretty negative reception from the core fanbase in various forums during its initial reveal.

Besides, by June, 2015, it was 4.84 million units vs 4.30 million units.

Also, 3d Land > NSMB2 in sales (10.10 million units vs 9.30 million units), although this is the same situation as described above.

JoeM86

This belief that people somehow get confused and motion sick by full 3D cameras is still a thing with Nintendo? Fuck, we're not all little children who have never played a 3D game before. But maybe Nintendo's target audience is.

You're not, no. As are many people on GAF. However, you're not the only people who play video games.

And he basically said that a Galaxy sequel may be on the cards.

"Miyamoto also stated that he hopes that Splatoon will help players come to terms with a 3D camera for the next 3D Mario"

Gyro Mario incoming.

Anth0ny

he thinks mario 64 is too difficult

oh god i'm getting flashback to that sakurai interview where he said "melee is too difficult"

you heard it from nintendo, folks. game that sell 10 million copies and are hailed as the greatest of all time are too difficult.

Just look at the people who prefer last gen controls in Splatoon and you see why some have difficulties adapting to an immersive 3D environment that´s not hold back by aim assists or on rail design.

I get the feeling a lot of of what Miyamoto is saying here is influenced by the sales of Mario games.

Because, let's face it, with a few exceptions (like 3D Land > NSMB2 as NeonZ mentioned), 2D Mario games have a history of outselling 3D Mario games. Most 2D titles tend to sell around 20 to even 30 million, while the 3D games are usually 5-10 or 11 million. 2D Mario games just seem to resonate more with the general market, it looks like.

I get the feeling a lot of of what Miyamoto is saying here is influenced by the sales of Mario games.

Because, let's face it, with a few exceptions (like 3D Land > NSMB2 as NeonZ mentioned), 2D Mario games have a history of outselling 3D Mario games. Most 2D titles tend to sell around 20 to even 30 million, while the 3D games are usually 5-10 or 11 million. 2D Mario games just seem to resonate more with the general market, it looks like.

The 2d Mario games were also bundled with the Wii/Wii U.

Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 were not only never bundled but they were sold at full price for like 5 years.

he thinks mario 64 is too difficult

oh god i'm getting flashback to that sakurai interview where he said "melee is too difficult"

you heard it from nintendo, folks. game that sell 10 million copies and are hailed as the greatest of all time are too difficult.

B-but a decade ago we sold that many NSMB copies more!
/meanwhile, all the over-casualized low-effort flagships crashing on WiiU and taking the console down harder than the Titanic.

entremet

He says that, but the first party output doesn't reflect it.

It's much easier to develop 2d games.

B-but a decade ago we sold that many NSMB copies more!
/meanwhile, all the over-casualized low-effort flagships crashing on WiiU and bringing the console down harder than the Titanic.

This makes no sense it was the casualized stuff that sold millions of Wii and DSes.

The Wii U and 3DS are have been much more "hardcore".

Brawl is the best selling fighting game, ever.

This makes no sense it was the casualized stuff that sold millions of Wii and DSes.

The Wii U and 3DS are have been much more "hardcore".
I can't even think off hand of a casual Wii U game, except Nintendo Land. Which actually isn't even that casual since its big appeal is to big time Nintendo fans...

JoeM86

I can't even think off hand of a casual Wii U game, except Nintendo Land. Which actually isn't even that casual since its big appeal is to big time Nintendo fans...

Difference is, they're accessible while being hardcore.

That's Nintendo games in a nutshell at the moment. Easy to get into, difficult to master. Even Yoshi's Woolly World can be an absolute beast at times. That 4-S ;;

These reactions from "hardcore" gamers, though...

Guys. I really don't want to call anyone entitled or whiny, but you are, like, giving all possible reasons to do so. Please realize that:

• there are people who play video games but not video game enthusiasts
  • some people really did and do struggle with 3D movement and camera control
  • Nintendo don't want to create yet another frustrating Mario experience like Super Mario Sunshine which sales and reception hit them so hard they had to go back to the drawing board
  • they did say they are considering to make separate games for separate types of players

NeonZ

It just shows a lack of foresight though. It's very likely that the explosion of those 2d games only happened due to the Wii's and DS' expanded audiences - and those were there for other reasons and happened to pick up those games too, they didn't jump for those games themselves.

In both the Wii U and 3ds, the 2d Mario games don't seem to be doing any better than past 3d games.

Every year Miyamoto gets dumber and dumber.
You can really tell he's getting old and just doesn't have feeling with gamers anymore.

2015, and he thinks people have trouble with 3d camera movement.

Pray to all the Gods that he won't become the new CEO

I mean I'd understand where he's coming from if we were talking about the Wii. But I mean the Wii U doesn't have that same universal appeal, so I don't really get why Nintendo is still chasing a market that it doesn't have. When the audience that buys your console wants Mario Kart, Smash, Splatoon, etc. then why not keep providing games that do have that option for difficulty and online support?

By making games that have this "universal appeal" it just seems like they're alienating the fan base that they already have. Like I'm not complaining about not getting a "proper" 3D Mario because I think that's their choice if they want to make that or not. It just seems really silly to me that they talk about dumbing down games for an audience that mostly isn't there.

Merc_

It's like some of you guys aren't even reading the article before commenting and getting mad at Nintendo.

Also, some of you seem to be real upset that you aren't Nintendo's sole target for video games.

Every year Miyamoto gets dumber and dumber.
You can really tell he's getting old and just doesn't have feeling with gamers anymore.

2015, and he thinks people have trouble with 3d camera movement.

Pray to all the Gods that he won't become the new CEO

He's making games which can be played by everyone, not just "gamers."

Anth0ny

melee sold 7 million on a 20 million install base

brawl sold 10 million on a 100 million install base

i have a hard time believing that extra 3 million was because sakurai dumbed down the game

These reactions from "hardcore" gamers, though...

Guys. I really don't want to call anyone entitled or whiny, but you are, like, giving all possible reasons to do so. Please realize that:

• there are people who play video games but not video game enthusiasts
  • some people really did and do struggle with 3D movement and camera control
    [*]Nintendo don't want to create yet another frustrating Mario experience like Super Mario Sunshine which sales and reception hit them so hard they had to go back to the drawing board
  • they did say they are considering to make separate games for separate types of players

mario sunshine outsold mario 3d world and has a 92 on metacritic

RoadHazard

Gold Member
You're not, no. As are many people on GAF. However, you're not the only people who play video games.

He's making games which can be played by everyone, not just "gamers."

Right, but the people Miyamoto is talking about don't play on consoles at all anymore. They have their smartphones now, and that's all they need. Ergo, the Wii U's sales after what the Wii did. Nintendo doesn't seem to get that their "new, confused gamer" audience isn't buying consoles anymore. The "hardcore", the people buying PS4s, XBOs and gaming PCs, sure know how to control a character in 3D space.

Top Bottom