• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer Miyamoto interview: Future of 3D Mario (Galaxy)

RagnarokX

Some things to remember:

Wii has sold 101.56 million units.
NSMBWii: 29.32 million, 28.9% attach rate
SMG: 12.5 million, 12.3% attach rate
SMG2: 7.41 million, 7.3% attach rate

Wii U has sold 10.01 million units.
NSMBU: 4.84 million, 48.4% attach rate
SM3DW: 4.3 million, 43% attach rate.

The games are sold on a console that has 1/10th the sales and their sales reflect that. They have much higher attach rates and it's nuts that a 3D Mario is selling almost in step with a 2D Mario considering past sales. NSMBU and SM3DW are the #3 and #4 best-selling Wii U games respectively.

As for difficulty, Galaxy was far easier than 3D World. It required less precise platforming and was more forgiving with HP. But the level design may have made judging the jumps that it did have more difficult.

Regardless of what you may think, navigating 3D space via a 2D display is very difficult and is not a problem that only existed back in the mid 90s. It's clear that Nintendo puts a LOT of effort into figuring out how to convey enough monocular depth cues for the player to understand what they need to do and they've gotten better at this over the years to the point that they are more trusting to give the player more 3D challenges. From Mario 64 and Sunshine where the majority of the game was adventure heavy and jump mistakes weren't as costly, to Galaxy, where they used the gravity mechanic as a safety net, to 3D Land, where the 3DS' ability to present stereoscopic depth meant they could go all out, to 3D World, where they tried to see if what they did in 3D Land could be playable without stereoscopic 3D to aid the player.

entremet

It's like some of you guys aren't even reading the article before commenting and getting mad at Nintendo.

Also, some of you seem to be real upset that you aren't Nintendo's sole target for video games.

Yep.

He's actually giving us his unfiltered opinions of game development.

The defensiveness is odd.

This makes no sense it was the casualized stuff that sold millions of Wii and DSes.

The Wii U and 3DS are have been much more "hardcore".

Wii and DS started with core gamers either in focus or at least as an integral part, regardless of revisionist narratives and overall they had a significantly more varied library for gamers other than non-gamers (3DS too, why it didn't flop nearly as hard as WiiU). The additional audiences they've gotten through Wii Fit and Nintendogs later have left for other platforms because Nintendo has failed to evolve.

Yet, when WiiU came, their entire strategy was casual-only, dropping core gamers completely. In the laziest way possible. Cheap rehashes of NSMB and Wii Fit, thinking that the random minigame collection Nintendoland would excite anyone, securing years old 3rd party ports any gamer already had. One year later, taking an additional dump on core gamers by having their most anticipated teams work on more super ,,safe'' platformers which only exist because they thought they still had their Wii Fit audience buying everything twice.

It's good that the WiiU flopped this badly and hopefully people at Nintendo other than stubborn old Miyamoto comprehend that deconstructing their own 3D gameplay revolutions for the sake of a dead audience gets them nowhere.

These reactions from "hardcore" gamers, though...

Guys. I really don't want to call anyone entitled or whiny, but you are, like, giving all possible reasons to do so. Please realize that:

• there are people who play video games but not video game enthusiasts
  • some people really did and do struggle with 3D movement and camera control
  • Nintendo don't want to create yet another frustrating Mario experience like Super Mario Sunshine which sales and reception hit them so hard they had to go back to the drawing board
  • they did say they are considering to make separate games for separate types of players
Exactly. They always think they're the only group that matters.

Anth0ny

Regardless of what you may think, navigating 3D space via a 2D display is very difficult and is not a problem that only existed back in the mid 90s. It's clear that Nintendo puts a LOT of effort into figuring out how to convey enough monocular depth cues for the player to understand what they need to do and they've gotten better at this over the years to the point that they are more trusting to give the player more 3D challenges. From Mario 64 and Sunshine where the majority of the game was adventure heavy and jump mistakes weren't as costly, to Galaxy, where they used the gravity mechanic as a safety net, to 3D Land, where the 3DS' ability to present stereoscopic depth meant they could go all out, to 3D World, where they tried to see if what they did in 3D Land could be playable without stereoscopic 3D to aid the player.

I honestly thought the spin jump in Galaxy (waggle) solved that problem pretty well. If you can't make a jump even with the spin jump safety net... git gud.

entremet

Wii and DS started with core gamers either in focus or at least as an integral part, regardless of revisionist narratives and overall they had a significantly more varied library for gamers other than non-gamers (3DS too, why it didn't flop nearly as hard as WiiU). The additional audiences they've gotten through Wii Fit and Nintendogs later have left for other platforms because Nintendo has failed to evolve.

Yet, when WiiU came, their entire strategy was casual-only, dropping core gamers completely. In the laziest way possible. Cheap rehashes of NSMB and Wii Fit, thinking that the random minigame collection Nintendoland would excite anyone, securing years old 3rd party ports any gamer already had. One year later, taking an additional dump on core gamers by having their most anticipated teams work on more super ,,safe'' platformers which only exist because they thought they still had their Wii Fit audience buying everything twice.

It's good that the WiiU flopped this badly and hopefully people at Nintendo other than stubborn old Miyamoto comprehend that deconstructing their own 3D gameplay revolutions for the sake of a dead audience gets them nowhere.

You're actually incorrect.

You're making assumptions based on your biases. The Wii U was Nintendo concession into regaining the hardcore, as casuals went to phones, cratering their audience.

Just go back and read interviews by Iwata on the Wii U. They wanted to win the hardcore back.

The system didn't bring Wiimotes.

Regarding the games, it was pretty obvious they were struggling with HD development, so they padded out their releases with Wii style releases at first.

DangerMan

Banned
Is Star Fox Zero the only Wii U game to be rendering a different 3D 60fps stream on the TV and the Gamepad? I know there are plenty of other 60fps Wii U games but most either have a 2D Gamepad image or simply mirror what the TV is displaying.

I feel like I have played Wii U games where there is a separate 3D view being rendered to the TV and to the Gamepad but I don't remember any being 60fps on both the TV and the Gamepad.

Also, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puvW4NmaiOo, StarFox Zero looks great at 0:50 in this video. I'm sure when we actually play it the graphics will be more than good enough.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Some things to remember:

The games are sold on a console that has 1/10th the sales and their sales reflect that. They have much higher attach rates and it's nuts that a 3D Mario is selling almost in step with a 2D Mario considering past sales. NSMBU and SM3DW are the #3 and #4 best-selling Wii U games respectively.

As for difficulty, Galaxy was far easier than 3D World. It required less precise platforming and was more forgiving with HP. But the level design may have made judging the jumps that it did have more difficult.

The reason SM3DW has a higher attach rate than the Galaxies is that the only people who are still buying Nintendo consoles are the hardcore Nintendo faithful (well, mostly). The massive casual audience that bought a Wii is gone. So obviously these games are gonna sell better on Wii U in relative terms.

Vandiger

“[A new Mario Galaxy] is always in discussion. But even with Mario 64 there was a lot of feedback about motion sickness with the 3D or maybe us making it too difficult.”

This just infuriates me but hey its not like I'm the target audience for these games now.

tbd

No more big 3D Marios with action adventure elements because two people got motion sickness back then.

True, but the people Miyamoto is talking about don't play on consoles at all anymore. They have their smartphones now, and that's all they need. Ergo, the Wii U's sales after what the Wii did. Nintendo doesn't seem to get that their "new, confused gamer" audience isn't buying consoles anymore. The "hardcore", the people buying PS4s, XBOs and gaming PCs, sure know how to control a character in 3D space.

I've been working in an electronics shop for a while, and I can tell you - there were a lot of people who bought a game console just to play FIFA. There were also a number of people who were looking for Blu-ray player and bought a PS3 instead, as well as people who didn't know anything about console gaming in general and yet bought a console after I've described them who is who on the market.

You greatly underestimate the number of "casual" players buying and using dedicated video game hardware.

Is Star Fox Zero the only Wii U game to be rendering a different 3D 60fps stream on the TV and the Gamepad? I know there are plenty of other 60fps Wii U games but most either have a 2D Gamepad image or simply mirror what the TV is displaying.

I feel like I have played Wii U games where there is a separate 3D view being rendered to the TV and to the Gamepad but I don't remember any being 60fps on both the TV and the Gamepad.

Nintendo Land. In fact, some sections of the game display up to 5 viewpoints on a single 3D space, all in 60 fps.

Some things to remember:

The games are sold on a console that has 1/10th the sales and their sales reflect that. They have much higher attach rates and it's nuts that a 3D Mario is selling almost in step with a 2D Mario considering past sales.

The reason the WiiU sells like shit is because people don't care about another bunch of NSMB rehashes and its 3D iteration. Attach rate means nothing on such a ludicrous install base. Mario is their biggest flagship, yet it moved as good as no WiiUs. These games are total sales failures.

I was a 3yr old when Mario 64 came out... I doubt kids have become worse at this than 19 years ago.
You should hand Mario 64 over to a 3 yr old that's never played video games and see what happens :p nobody is born with video game experience ya know.

He should do what the rest of us did, keep trying until he gets better, it's a good life lesson. No need to dumb shit down.

And no I wasn't once part of the expanded audience, I'm in my 30's, I've been gaming for pretty much the entire time gaming has existed.
1) So at one point in your life you were playing video games for the first time yes?

2) Instead of wasting his time on shit that isn't fun, he can go do something else that is fun. You wouldn't hold that against him would you?

agreed. nintendo are increasingly out of touch and the gaming world has rightfully ignored the wii u. great, u made yet another nsmb, wii fit, mario 3d land, mario party etc. (none of which have online multiplayer, mind u) meanwhile the rest of the world has moved on to new experiences like minecraft. they are a dinosaur in this industry and it's because of outdated management.

DrWong

No more big 3D Marios with action adventure elements because two people got motion sickness back then.

Don't you have a more ridiculous statement? I mean there's big competition here and lot of people with lack of self awareness.

Galang

Banned
My personal preference would be Galaxy 3, but I've enjoyed time with all the 3D Mario games that have come out in the past decade. I loved Galaxy 1 & 2 and 3D World almost equally. I'm really just excited to see what they've got ready next as I don't feel the studio has done anything disappointing with Mario as of yet.

JoeM86

The reason the WiiU sells like shit is because people don't care about another bunch of NSMB rehashes and its 3D iteration. Attach rate means nothing on such a ludicrous install base. Mario is their biggest flagship, yet it moved as good as no WiiUs. These games are total sales failures.

On the Wii U, those games have sold what many third parties would aspire to on the PS4. Is it Nintendo's finest hour? Of course not, but they're not sales failures.

Also, saying "bunch of NSMB rehashes" when there has only been one, at launch, shows your bias and/or lack of knowledge/information.

RagnarokX

I honestly thought the spin jump in Galaxy (waggle) solved that problem pretty well. If you can't make a jump even with the spin jump safety net... git gud.

There are multiple safety nets in Galaxy:

The gravity mechanic is often used to make it harder or impossible to fall to your death.
The spin gives you a chance to recover.
If you are close to making a jump Mario will grab the ledge and hop up.

3D World took away all of these and asked the player to make more jumps that would result in death if failed.

Griss

(snip)

Just more evidence that Nintendo's hardcore fanbase (who will 100% buy any 3D Mario) is at least half of the sales of the Wii U. Clear as day at this stage, which is why Nintendo has been pandering to us hardcore for over a year.

I had never even thought of the gravity mechanic in that sense. That's a really interesting post. And yes, it is clear that Nintendo is constantly thinking of that, and also that stereoscopic 3D was what allowed them to make 3D Land such a gloriously pure platfomer whereas 3D World felt earthbound by comparison.

Fishlake

Heh, I know people who won't play 3d games because it does make them sick.

The games industry really needs some sort of big hit introduction into 3d control.

Something with not much going on at one time but still enjoyable and it needs to teach the basics of camera control.

3D camera control is not a naturally learned task in life so introductory games to it should be a 1st party goal.

oh god, miyamoto is so out of touch.

agreed. nintendo are increasingly out of touch and the gaming world has rightfully ignored the wii u. great, u made yet another nsmb, wii fit, mario 3d land, mario party etc. (none of which have online multiplayer, mind u) meanwhile the rest of the world has moved on to new experiences like minecraft. they are a dinosaur in this industry and it's because of outdated management.

Oh, and here come people who think they are smarter than the company which exists for 125 years, makes consoles for more than 30 years, has lots of cash and a bunch of best-selling video game software and hardware in their pocket.

You are like angsty kids rambing on your parents about them being "out of touch."

DangerMan

Banned
Nintendo Land. In fact, some sections of the game display up to 5 viewpoints on a single 3D space, all in 60 fps.

Yea, I figured if any game was doing it, it was Nintendo Land. I had thought maybe it was dropping to 30fps when it was rendering more than one 3D view though as I haven't played Nintendo Land in almost two years.

According to Digital Foundry Nintendo Land had some pretty big framerate issues even when just going around the in the plaza though, and IIRC it wasn't even rendering two separate views in the Plaza. I can't find any in-mini-game framerate test views for Nintendo Land.

On the Wii U, those games have sold what many third parties would aspire to on the PS4. Is it Nintendo's finest hour? Of course not, but they're not sales failures.

Also, saying "bunch of NSMB rehashes" when there has only been one, at launch, shows your bias and/or lack of knowledge/information.

They are the worst selling Mario games in either their 2D- or 3D line and as the biggest flagships, they lead WiiU into being the worst selling Nintendo console by a landslide. They are sales failures.

They also didn't really have enough after NSMB#4, considering that they've turned its DLC into another retail release and then made the 3D game follow the exact principles of NSMB, for the sake of casuals (which they openly talk about in Iwata Asks). I've finished all of them too, other than NSLU, and I know when I'm talking about calling them utterly lazy rehashes. In particular for being HD efforts.

Judging by the fact that the game sold ~5 million copies a lot of people seemed to care. Hell 5 million is quite a lot realativly speaking. Wasn't Square Enix complaining that Tomb Raider didn't reach that amount a couple of years ago?

Heh, I know people who won't play 3d games because it does make them sick.

The games industry really needs some sore of big hit introduction into 3d control.

Something with not much going on at one time but still enjoyable and it needs to teach the basics of camera control.

3D camera control is not a naturally learned task in life so introductory games to it should be a 1st party goal.
Personally, I can't play FPS/TPS games for very long before I start getting sick. It's been like that since Wolfenstein for me. About a year ago, I tried playing Halo at a friend's house for a bit and still had the same problem.

Splatoon multi player is the first time I've been able to enjoy a TPS game for over 3 hours without getting sick. But strangely enough I get a little sick when playing Splatoon single player.

mario sunshine outsold mario 3d world and has a 92 on metacritic

So why wouldn't you check out Brawl's sales and Metacritic points then?

And, yeah, Nintendo actually admitted in a bunch of ~2005 interviews that Sunshine's sales and reception were underwhelming.

Judging by the fact that the game sold ~5 million copies a lot of people seemed to care. Hell 5 million is quite a lot realativly speaking. Wasn't Square Enix complaining that Tomb Raider didn't reach that amount a couple of years ago?

Yes, the games sold very well and probably met expectations. A lot of companies would kill to put out a game like NSMBU and nab 5 million copies sold.

So why wouldn't you check out Brawl's sales and Metacritic points then?

Those don't count because of reasons

ika

Miyamoto said:
"the TV and GamePad are both rendered in 60 frames, so in total that’s 120 frames. It’s really just a matter of the CPU speed at this point"

NX being a overclocked Wii U confirmed. -_-

Kilrathi

The fact that he thinks, in 2015, that players still haven't come to terms with a 3D camera is kind of mind boggling to me.

Learning to navigate 3D space on a 2D plane is not easy and today gamepads aren't the most inviting devices. Doing a playtest session a test group that doesn't play games is painful to watch a times. Even with a oculus rift which has helped as its a easy device to learn to interact with, they still have trouble grasping using a analog stick for movement in 3D space

Oh, and here come people who think they are smarter than the company which exists for 125 years, makes consoles for more than 30 years, has lots of cash and a bunch of best-selling video game software and hardware in their pocket.

You are like angsty kids rambing on your parents about them being "out of touch."

and what successes have they had in the last 3 years? the console that crippled their stock prices, is barely outselling the dreamcast, won't be touched by any major third parties and is generally a laughing stock in the industry. yes, they are out of touch. launching a mario party game in 2015 with no online multiplayer? just one of the many stupid ideas coming from a once great company. great job nintendo.

Galaxy was that middle ground, if you ask me. Not that I necessarily want Galaxy 3 but I'd take that over something like 3D World.

AmyS

Just that Miyamoto is even considering a Super Mario Galaxy 3 for NX, blows my mind.

For my personal tastes, the first Galaxy is one of the very best games Nintendo ever crafted along with Super Mario 64.

Yet there is a never-ending discourse about people crying for ,,real 3D Mario'' (I'm not one of them, I just think 3DW was a bad 3D Mario) and its sales are still behind Sunshine. Which is why relatively, this is not good. 4,3 mil - 4,8 mil (3DW-NSMBU) is good for certainly not very expensive titles, however, in relation to the rest of the series and considering that their biggest franchise stopped moving units of the WiiU, these are far from favorable results.
If there's relatively decent software sales to notice on WiiU, it's Splatoon and maaaybe Mario Kart not crumbling as hard as the mainline.

RagnarokX

The reason SM3DW has a higher attach rate than the Galaxies is that the only people who are still buying Nintendo consoles are the hardcore Nintendo faithful (well, mostly). The massive casual audience that bought a Wii is gone. So obviously these games are gonna sell better on Wii U in relative terms.

We can't extrapolate that because that massive casual audience would have also bought these games. You can't say "Those games only sold well on Wii because of the casuals!" and then turn around and say "Those games only sold well on Wii U because of the hardcore!" Mario platformers didn't sell Wii, Wii Sports did. Mario platformers didn't sell Wii U, either. We can't know what the sales would be if Wii U had been as popular as Wii but I can't imagine the attach rates would be LESS considering how high they are with such few console sales.

and what successes have they had in the last 3 years? the console that crippled their stock prices, is barely outselling the dreamcast, won't be touched by any major third parties and is generally a laughing stock in the industry. yes, they are out of touch. launching a mario party game in 2015 with no online multiplayer? just one of the many stupid ideas coming from a once great company. great job nintendo.

fb-400x400.jpg

Nintendo records surprising profit and strong sales in Q1 2015

tbd

Don't you have a more ridiculous statement? I mean there's big competition here and lot of people with lack of self awareness.

Deliberate exaggeration. I'm aware how many people suffer from motion sickness. They're still an absolut minority and ignoring the fans wishing for something like Mario 64, Donkey Kong 64, Conker or Banjo isn't fair. That's like designing every game around a controller that's used with only one hand because there are one-armed people (they kinda did this, though). Also sounds like an excuse: Why making expensive action adventure platformers when linear platformers with a fixed cam sell just as good?

Then again, I'm not sure what your point is.

E-phonk

Banned
Wasn't Square Enix complaining that Tomb Raider didn't reach that amount a couple of years ago?

That's because a game like Tomb Raider uses voice acting, motion capturing, facial capturing and realistically textured environments and other things that take a huge amount of people to make.

Why would you decided to select the exact time amount to not include Wii and DS, which made an enormous amount of money in a single generation to allow Nintendo to do whatever they want for decades?

And, yes, looks like you forgot about 3DS too, as well as about amiibo making a really noticeable profit.

Vena

Nintendo needs to learn that not every game needs to be accessible for everyone.
They are pushing away fans/gamers this way.

I mean, you must not play much WiiU, if you think all of it is accessible. In fact, it has some of the most obtuse games or difficult games release this gen.

Jigorath

Banned
Nintendo and the rest of this industry needs to chill out with making games as simple as possible. Kids aren't as dumb as they think they are. Give them a challenge, they can rise to the occasion. Minecraft is one of the most popular games around with kids and they've managed to learn the ins and outs of that game despite the complexity and lack of hand-holding. Or hell, go back to the NES days when Nintendo ruled the world with kids, most of the games they released were difficult as fuck.

Also, give me Galaxy 3 cause I really want to play another Galaxy.

This post has the maturity of a Gamespot, IGN or 4chan comment. It's kind of hilarious to read in a sad sort of way. But to say that Nintendo hasn't found success even if it's not to the extent of their Wii/DS days is ridiculous.

Top Bottom