• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer Miyamoto interview: Future of 3D Mario (Galaxy)

Fishlake

For one, I don't think controllers will get more complicated than they already are now for casual gamers, and right there he says 2D Mario games aren't going anywhere so there's little need to gimp a 3D Mario game to cater to an audience who cares little to none about it.

I hope so but even just this generation Sony and Nintendo have added touch screens to there controllers. Motion controls have also been more integrated into the standard game pad.

I would suggest not gimping Mario games but rather have all the 1st parties creating new IP that ease the transition into the controller we have. Journey, I think, is a good idea of what should be done.

maxcriden

I don't think merging 2D NSMB ideas into 3D Mario will broaden the appeal of 3D Mario games.

I don't see any data or statistical evidence showing that 3D Land/World received more commercial success from merging 2D Mario into 3D Mario.

As of June 30th, 2015:

Super Mario Galaxy - 12.50 million

Super Mario 64 DS - 11.05 million

SUPER MARIO 3D LAND - 10.10 million

Super Mario 3D World - 4.3 million

I'd argue that less Nintendo fans bought Wii U because Super Mario 3D World didn't offer a large, ambitious single player experience like Mario Galaxy or Super Mario 64.

That's not to say that 3D World is bad (because it's a fantastic game) but it wasn't what many people wanted at the time.

That's fair, but one other way of looking at things is that the install base of the Wii and DS is absolutely immense compared to that of the Wii U and 3DS. So relative to install base, the 3DL/3DW games are actually much more successful than their counterparts.

Just no more new super mario brothers or 3d world/land games please. I want to see something mindblowing and ambitious from them, a la Mario 64 or Mario Galaxy.

Roo

Whatever it is, please use MK8's lighting, 1080p, AA and 60fps. That's all I ask.
I don't care if it's a 3D Land/World, Galaxy sequel or an entirely new game, but please take care of the IQ this time.

I love 3D World to bits but after seen MK8, I always felt like the game could have been so much better, graphically speaking.

FZZ

Banned
motion sickness with the 3D

This is true for me. Even happened with Galaxy 1 which is my #2 game of all time :/

I hate having motion sickness from 3D games, makes it harder to enjoy a majority of games out now

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
The recent Super Mario 3D Land for 3DS and 3D World for Wii U are examples of this middle ground. Both titles feature 3D environments but still do not offer the free-roaming levels of Galaxy, or earlier titles such as Mario Sunshine and Mario 64.

What's really annoying about this quote, especially the bolded, is that this was how Nintendo used to see SMG. That was supposed to be the middle ground between SM64 and the 2D games. But that ain't good enough for some reason anymore. It needs to be even more middle ground than that!

Jigolo

Talk about hyperboles.

They're releasing more 3D mario. Miyamoto was just talking about the difficulties in making the games more accessible.

What do you think EAD Tokyo is working on? They've been the 3D Mario team since Galaxy 1.

Whoops, wording. I meant to say before the Wii U is sent out to die. Not 3D Mario games.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
This just reminds me of how much of a problem the gamepad is... the wiiu probably would have been great without it and with a different name.

Lijik

Wouldn't that makes sense?

People post in threads they're interesting in.

Same thing as FF, MGS, Zelda threads, and so on.
i dont think ive ever reread 1:1 the same exact posts in other topics as i have something like ragnarokx's NSMB variety chart and "mario 64 and 3d world are actually the same" posts even in threads that tend to revolve around the same topics like i dont know ranking zelda games or something

Overside

Banned
Didn't Mario 64 had worlds because of tech restriction? The plan was for the Bowser-Styled courses to dominate the game IIRC. 64 is great and super fun to play, but besides maybe two/three levels a LOT of missions recquired retreating the same ground which isn't my cup of tea.

Yes the 'traditional 3d mario' Is a spinoff that arose from tech restrictions.

Galaxy (2 in particular) is JUST like 3D world, except levels start in the same place and there's a lot more spectacle. Most of the stars in galaxy take you to a whole different area that could be its own individual 3D World level, so really, there have been more examples of games like that than exploration ones.

No, it is not, this is only applicable if you only use an extremely narrow look, and only focus on the level progression setup, and completely ignore everything that happens inside the levels.

The games are fundamentally different from a design standpoint.

For example, the way 3dworld is setup, is exactly like the 2d games, the camera is pulled back and up high, so you have all the information you need on screen, instantaneously. There is no thinking about how you are going to get somewhere, just reacting as you get there.

in the 'traditional 3d' marios, the first thing any experienced player does in a new area is figure out what the area is. They get a decent vantage point, and they look around, and make a plan. This is why many constantly complained about the galaxies occasionally removing camera control, even though they had control most of the time. Because of the cameras default angle behind the character, and its closer proximity to the ground and a more normal viewing angle, and the different way the levels are designed, occlusion becomes a major factor, the player first has to see WHERE he can go, often times from different angles, then he can decide HOW he wants to try to get there, and then comes the act of actually doing it.

in 2d mario/3dworld, all of that is removed, as the player instantly has a vantage point of everything they need to see, and instantly knows how to get there (Go right/towards where the screen is scrolling), all they do is react to the stimulus thrown at them, dont get hit, dont fall in a pit.

BK is a much better examples of Open-World Collectathon but then again it's not a Mario 3D platformer so it's not really something about 'Nintendo stopped doing' because, well, they never did it in the first place. As much as I'd love another exploration-based platformer, 3D Mario isn't really the place to look for it.

Well they definately did it at one time, and then they stopped for an extended period of time. Thats, not something you can really argue, but... the idea that its something they never really meant to do definitely can be argued, and looking at all the evidence, I have no doubt that is the case.

People keep harping on it because it was a solid and reliable entry with the kind of gameplay style, even in smaller self contained nugget style with the galaxies, that just kept getting increasingly rare as each years went on.

And now, look at the wii u, the regular entries these people enjoyed, often understood as the only regular entries they could get their fix, have dissapeared.

Metroid is nowhere to be seen, with the only mention being a multiplayer arena co-op game that has nothing of what they seek, the only Zelda game is a warriors game in a costume (Its great, but it does not have what they are looking for), while the actual Zelda game is perpetually dangled in the future along with Xenoblade, another game that heavily dives into the sense of engaging exploration and adventure they are desperately trying to get anywhere.

If you look at the wii u, there is not a single game for somebody who would have bought this system for these experiences, and this is not a matter of not doing research, up until this generation, these kind of experiences were guarunteed to be on Nintendo systems, in the form of one of their banner franchises, often along with many more lower profile titles.

It's frustrating that they achieved such a perfect gameplay style with 3D Mario that sells very well but feel the need to compromise it with 2D elements. Why not just keep going with the 2D cash cow and the critically acclaimed 3D series (that still sells fantastically) side by side?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I want to see a 3D World 2 on Wii U before a Galaxy 3 on NX. Personally. 3D World 2 would be awesome because I am still enjoying the hell out of trying to 100% the first one and I really want to see the GameGrumps tackle another multiplayer Mario and since Arin inexplicably hates 2D Mario...

I want both. I don't even care if either comes first. I'll love them both.

Also, a NSMBNX would be nice too. For all I care, Nintendo could be all Mario and nothing else and I would still buy their console just for Mario.

RagnarokX

Youre drastically overstating how repetitive it is to replay mario 64. Each star takes you to a different part of the course. Courses have multiple paths, shortcuts and items for getting around.

From a practical standpoint, its impossible to play each star in the same way. For most stars its literally impossible.

What galaxy was so successful at was taking 64s goals and elaborating on them, and even that wasnt exactly the same. If nintendo thought they could boil it down even further and capture it in the straitjackets of 3d worlds course design they were very wrong.

That's not true. A significant chunk of stars in Mario 64 are on the same path as each other. Most levels only have 2 or 3 paths. There's no practical reason for you to have to restart the level each time. It only serves as a way to make Mario 64's limited offering of levels take up more time.

One of the worst examples is Tall Tall Mountain. The first star is to climb to the top of the mountain. The second star is to go to the exact same spot and interact with a monkey there. The second star makes the first completely pointless.

Galaxy doesn't follow Mario 64's path at all. It just has the superficial trappings of the mission system, but each mission loads a linear path separate from the other missions, just like 3D World. All they really did in 3D World was stop pretending and got rid of some of the bloat from Galaxy (such as the constant collect 5 things! time wasters). You still have to collect 5 things to move forward in 3D World sometimes but it's drastically reduced. Galaxy was "Find the star at the end of the linear path" and 3D World was "Find the goal pole at the end of the linear path while collecting 3 stars along the way."

Later in the game certain stages are remixed to have a different layout. That jungle level with the raft and Piranha Plants, for example. Later in the game is a night version that's a little different.

Which would be a decent alternative but it's not what he's proposing.

They were repetitive and pointless in 64, too. My point here is that the goals still exist, just in a more streamlined fashion.

Galaxy doesn't really follow the 64 formula. Despite stars sharing a galaxy, for the most part each mission is a completely separate level just like 3D World. 3D World just drops the charade in favor of having each level be completely independent from each other.

The streamlined thing I get, but unless I'm mistaken you've stated before that picture's a model that would satisfy 64 fans (and I know others on here who've claimed the same). I'm not championing Mario 64 as perfect, but having replayed that twice recently I can't imagine that working at all with 3D World's linearity. Streamlined or not, they're still two different games.

has someone made a drinking game for 3d world related threads yet? you see the same exact posts from the same exact people every time

lmaooooo

spekkeh

Banned
Although I do think 2D games are easier to control for casual gamers than 3D games, I think a lot of people in this thread are too focused on NSMBWii, which released at the height of Wii popularity to a demographic that had nostalgia for (or only really recognized) the old school Mario games. It was a perfect storm of people who didn't know any games, were bored with Wii Sports and wanted to buy something else, latching on to the one thing that was familiar to them. Difficulty only had tangentially something to do with it.

Just look at the consecutive New Mario game sales after that. It actually wasn't so much a bridge game because it didn't convert anyone.

RagnarokX

The streamlined thing I get, but unless I'm mistaken you've stated before that picture's a model that would satisfy 64 fans (and I know others on here who've claimed the same). I'm not championing Mario 64 as perfect, but having replayed that twice recently I can't imagine that working at all with 3D World's linearity. Streamlined or not, they're still two different games.
The point of the picture is because Galaxy did essentially the same thing and that was enough to trick people into thinking it was like 64.

Another thing to remember if you've seen my previous analysis is that 3D World has a lot more levels and 3 green stars are equivalent to 1 power star in previous 3D Mario games. There's a lot more content overall, so while my example used just 1 level and compared it to a world/galaxy it should actually be 3 levels. My thought was that by listing out the objectives for the stars people hung up on the the idea that goal poles are different from stars somehow would make the association that the green stars = power stars and are just as required to beat the game as they were in previous games.

I wouldn't mind another free control Mario game like Galaxy but people absolutely need to stop kidding themselves when they imply the Galaxybgames are more core or harder than 3D World. The games are all piss easy. Its fine if you prefer one or the other but Galaxy 1 & 2 are as easy as 3D World.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
What's really annoying about this quote, especially the bolded, is that this was how Nintendo used to see SMG. That was supposed to be the middle ground between SM64 and the 2D games. But that ain't good enough for some reason anymore. It needs to be even more middle ground than that!

The quote also mentions continuous assessment of the 3D Mario games. Things change and they don't see the Galaxy style as the solution to their problem anymore so have gone back to the drawing board.

People need to remember that 3D platformers require far more precision in 3D space than most other games.

rex

That's not true. A significant chunk of stars in Mario 64 are on the same path as each other. Most levels only have 2 or 3 paths. There's no practical reason for you to have to restart the level each time. It only serves as a way to make Mario 64's limited offering of levels take up more time.

One of the worst examples is Tall Tall Mountain. The first star is to climb to the top of the mountain. The second star is to go to the exact same spot and interact with a monkey there. The second star makes the first completely pointless.

Galaxy doesn't follow Mario 64's path at all. It just has the superficial trappings of the mission system, but each mission loads a linear path separate from the other missions, just like 3D World. All they really did in 3D World was stop pretending and got rid of some of the bloat from Galaxy (such as the constant collect 5 things! time wasters). You still have to collect 5 things to move forward in 3D World sometimes but it's drastically reduced. Galaxy was "Find the star at the end of the linear path" and 3D World was "Find the goal pole at the end of the linear path while collecting 3 stars along the way."

Tall Tall mountain has a main path, a secondary path, a shortcut, a slide, and a short path that goes down at the beginning. If you played the stage in the same way for even only the stars you could do that, thats on the player for refusing to experiment with the multiple routes the course offers.

Also retreading the same ground is now codified into the 3d land series as well thanks to the item collection and multiple characters. The expectation is that players will replay these stages.

As for galaxy, it features mario 64 concepts within linear stage layouts. Galaxy plays nothing like 3d land. Take the drill item and its first appearance in smg2. No one can honestly say that gameplay was recapitulated in 3d land or world.

If they go back to the 64 style with their next Mario I will play it, if it's just the Galaxy style or 3D Land/World style, I won't be. Not enjoyed a Mario game since 64, personally.

Miyamoto just confirmed that the Mario series is now dead to me. Galaxy 2 and 3D land were such a bore with their trivial difficulty. (I didn't even bother with 3D world)

Galaxy 2 is the hardest 3D Mario by far. What little challenge exists outside of that is almost exclusively found in Sunshine's most bullshit, artificially-difficult levels like that infamous Pachinko stage.

The point of the picture is because Galaxy did essentially the same thing and that was enough to trick people into thinking it was like 64.

Another thing to remember if you've seen my previous analysis is that 3D World has a lot more levels and 3 green stars are equivalent to 1 power star in previous 3D Mario games. There's a lot more content overall, so while my example used just 1 level and compared it to a world/galaxy it should actually be 3 levels. My thought was that by listing out the objectives for the stars people hung up on the the idea that goal poles are different from stars somehow would make the association that the green stars = power stars and are just as required to beat the game as they were in previous games.

Okay, maybe I misunderstood? I have my qualms with 3D World but the flagpole isn't one of them, so I guess I'd agree with that.

I imagine with Galaxy people lump that together with 64 not only because of the star system but that it's framed within an yet another ambitious new context (space) as opposed to 3D Land/World echoing the minimal context of earlier 2D Mario games. It definitely plays differently, but there's enough familiar tropes like the traversable hubs and talking NPCs.

Again, to me they're still best middle ground they've made yet, but I've had my fun with those and the 3D Land iterations. I'm ready for new ideas.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Super Mario 64 & Super Mario Sunshine
Super Mario Galaxy & Super Mario Galaxy 2
Super Mario 3D Land & Super Mario 3D World

Those are the three groups of 3D Mario titles. The Galaxy games aren't like the first two but also not like the latest two. They are their own beasts. The first Galaxy can be seen as refining the 64 formula and Galaxy 2 is where you see the first signs of the 3D Land formula.

Personally I feel the 3D Mario formula has been improving, mostly because their reliance on pure platforming has increased as time goes by. In Mario 64 and Sunshine you'd traverse a lot of levels by just running on flat ground (heck there are those challenging themselves to beat Mario 64 with as few jumps as possible). Mario Galaxy's gravity mechanic made jumping fun in a new way and the concept of moving from planet to planet removed that flat plane problem, but saying that. there were still a lot of large expanses bogging it down (the collect 100 coins in the snow level is a rather big low point) but with Galaxy 2 and 3D Land those were almost entirely gone and almost every level requires a lot of jumping and platforming to beat.

And yet if you look at the Bower levels from Mario 64 they are like proto levels from 3D Land. When Galaxy first came out it was compared to Sunshine's bonus levels. There's always been a hint that the Mario games were heading toward the 3D Land way of level design.

Of course for the conundrum of accessibility, I'd say the Mario 64 formula are easier to get into since it really doesn't require as much precision in 3D navigation as the later games do. Sunshine highlights this. The main levels are really easy to navigate but the bonus levels, which are more like the later games, are the hardest parts of the game (excluding some of the really buggy places like the lava boat and pachinko machine).

Enforced

Nintendo can do whatever they want as they have multiple playable characters like 64 did and 3D world.

Oh man those fluddless levels...and that lava boat ride to bowser.
Don't forget about the watermelon level. :p
I like sunshine. :v

Red Devil

I don't think merging 2D NSMB ideas into 3D Mario will broaden the appeal of 3D Mario games.

I don't see any data or statistical evidence showing that 3D Land/World received more commercial success from merging 2D Mario into 3D Mario.

As of June 30th, 2015:

I'd argue that less Nintendo fans bought Wii U because Super Mario 3D World didn't offer a large, ambitious single player experience like Mario Galaxy or Super Mario 64.

That's not to say that 3D World is bad (because it's a fantastic game) but it wasn't what many people wanted at the time.

That's ignoring the install base of each console, then you find that neither 3D Land nor 3D world numbers aren't that badl, specially if you also include Super Mario Sunshine on the comparison. And either way 2D is king when it comes to Mario.

Just no more new super mario brothers or 3d world/land games please. I want to see something mindblowing and ambitious from them, a la Mario 64 or Mario Galaxy.

By the looks of his claims the 2D games are going nowhere, more likely they'll stick to one per console.

I would've liked to see an expansion for Super Mario 3D World ala New Super Luigi U, but I've come to terms that's never happening.

Don't forget about the watermelon level. :p
I like sunshine. :v

That wasn't all that bad, the sand bird one was worse.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
i want mario 128 with devs that love 64 and dark souls.. im never getting it are i. feelsbadman

Super Mario 128 already exists:
oMtXzP7.jpg

orioto

Good Art™
I can believe that 3d marios are more challenging for some. Cause in 2D mario you can do everythnig easily, jumping on a platform is easy, and they put difficulty in the form of a group of platforms or other things, level design basically.

In 3D Mario, the difficulty often comes from the platforms itself. In Mario 3D World i remember dying like .. 25 times on some dumb rotating shit cause i couldn't get the way i had to stay on them.

I think they played too much on that with 3D World. Cause it gives you the feeling (maybe some of you will think it's bullshit but that's my way of seeing that) the difficulty comes from the control, rather than the level design.

Now, to balance thing, there is something that comes partly from this, that i don't like with 2D Marios. 3D marios can't be super hard, but they can be super fun, not fun in a challenging way, but fun in a discovering/toy way. It's fun to interact with the beautiful and alive world, immerse yourself in it etc.. Which is a feeling that is important for me in a Mario. While modern 2D marios don't have that novelty, amazement feeling, so they have to relay only on challenge, which makes them kinda cold for me.

rex

-Linkstrikesback

Sm 64 on both n64 and ds, galaxy on wii, and 3d land on 3ds sold remarkably similar to eachother even though the systems they were on had vastly different installed base numbers. Nintendo continue to believes something which, based on the numbers we have, seems to be wrong. Theres no point in bridging the gap between 2d and 3d mario because we know it doesnt work. The ceiling for 3d mario seems to be 12m. Theres probably no improving on it.

12m. Nintendo has a problem with that number. Its ludicrous to begin with.

Eolz

NSMB is always made by a different team, so it's not like releasing a new one would mean less development time on a 3D Mario...

I'd really like a return to SM64 with the courses that encouraged exploration and trying to break the course via experimentation over really tight level design, personally. If I'm going to play a 3D platformer, I prefer good, creative exploration over everything else.

Whatever it is, please use MK8's lighting, 1080p, AA and 60fps. That's all I ask.
I don't care if it's a 3D Land/World, Galaxy sequel or an entirely new game, but please take care of the IQ this time.

I love 3D World to bits but after seen MK8, I always felt like the game could have been so much better, graphically speaking.

It would be nice if they could use those Mario Kart 8 assets for every new Mario game from now on. That game looked great. If NX is more powerful, then they could gradually improve from there. Never expected Mario Kart to be the visual highlight of the series.

As for the future of 3D Mario, I don't see why they can't remain seperate from the 2D Mario games and why Nintendo want's people (non-gaffers) to see them as one series. Just make both. Super Mario [insert title] and Super Mario Bros. 7.

And please, put some effort into the next Super Mario Bros game beyond the level design. Make it stand out among the other Mario Bros. games, and not simply be a 'by the numbers' kind of game like Super Mario Bros. U was. Live music, decent graphics (use the Mario Kart 8 models if that's easier), and a coherent world and story. Make it feel like a brand new exciting adventure.

And as cool as Super Mario Maker looks, I don't consider it to be a true SMB game. It's a spin-off. I hope Nintendo see's it that way too.

And as for 3D Mario, I do think it would be cool if they made it like Mario Sunshine, but open-world and seamless with no large bodies of water separating the areas. Basically find all the stars in Isle Delphino, no loading times, no screen select, no hubs, just plain star hunting. Of course, they'd have to design the game with that in mind, as while Sunshine had an open design for each area, it was slightly redesigned for whatever Star you chose to hunt for. Btw: I'm using Sunshine as an illustrative example. They could just use the Mushroom Kingdom as the setting instead, or a brand new world if they chose.

And as for 3D Mario, I do think it would be cool if they made it like Mario Sunshine, but open-world and seamless with no large bodies of water separating the areas. Basically find all the stars in Isle Delphino, no loading times, no screen select, no hubs, just plain star hunting. Of course, they'd have to design the game with that in mind, as while Sunshine had an open design for each area, it was slightly redesigned for whatever Star you chose to hunt for. Btw: I'm using Sunshine as an illustrative example. They could just use the Mushroom Kingdom as the setting instead, or a brand new world if they chose.

I've wanted that since Sunshine, which basically teased us with that idea by letting us see other levels from a far distance.

A Sunshine-like Mario game with the exploration freedom of Zelda Wind Waker's ocean, but obviously much more condensed (without all the empty space), would be awesome.

People group Mario 64 and the Galaxies together because they control the most similarly, which to many is the most critical element of the series.

Servbot24

Banned
i want mario 128 with devs that love 64 and dark souls.. im never getting it are i. feelsbadman

I don't understand why people latch onto demos like this. There are a thousand other random demos lying around at Nintendo, are you dying to see them all turned into a full game? :p

Oh boy that part about Splatoon has me scared. Please NONE of those weird camera controls for a true new 3D Mario. And if Ninty wants to add it so bad, please make it optional. Just let me control the camera with the stick, please.

That said, i don't know anymore what Nintendo is doing after their god awful E3. All these NX rumours are not making me any happier either. Zelda seems to have been removed from the earth completely, so to speak and there's little to be excited for. No expectations at all from me, i'll just see and hope for the best.

God I hope they are done with whatever 3d world was and go back to making something akin to sm64 or even galaxy 2.

SO very much agreed with this. I tried to love 3D World, but i just ended up kinda enjoying it, i kept wondering when the true challenge and fun was coming, but for me it never did. LOVED 64, never truly gave Sunshine a chance. The Galaxy games were great too. Give me a game like that over 3D World/land any day.

MagnesD3

Oh boy that part about Splatoon has me scared. Please NONE of those weird camera controls for a true new 3D Mario. And if Ninty wants to add it so bad, please make it optional. Just let me control the camera with the stick, please.

That said, i don't know anymore what Nintendo is doing after their god awful E3. All these NX rumours are not making me any happier either. Zelda seems to have been removed from the earth completely, so to speak and there's little to be excited for. No expectations at all from me, i'll just see and hope for the best.

SO very much agreed with this. I tried to love 3D World, but i just ended up kinda enjoying it, i kept wondering when the true challenge and fun was coming, but for me it never did. LOVED 64, never truly gave Sunshine a chance. The Galaxy games were great too. Give me a game like that over 3D World/land any day.

Yeah 3d world was pretty fun but it never made an impact on me, just like 3d land. When I found out world apparently counted as the 3d Mario for the wii u's generation I was extremely disheartened.

spekkeh

Banned
Now, to balance thing, there is something that comes partly from this, that i don't like with 2D Marios. 3D marios can't be super hard, but they can be super fun, not fun in a challenging way, but fun in a discovering/toy way. It's fun to interact with the beautiful and alive world, immerse yourself in it etc.. Which is a feeling that is important for me in a Mario. While modern 2D marios don't have that novelty, amazement feeling, so they have to relay only on challenge, which makes them kinda cold for me.
Bingo. 2D Marios derive their fun from skills progression, 3D Marios from traversal / expression play. This is why Super Mario Galaxy gets grouped in with Mario 64 and finds similar fans, whereas Mario 3D world fans ostensibly have overlap with New Super Mario games. Might even indicate a design difference between Tokyo EAD 1 (Galaxy 1) and Tokyo EAD 2 (Galaxy 2 and 3D land/world).

ChaosXVI

*Sigh* This really bums me out. I know we'd never get a Mario game that is harder than Galaxy 2, but hearing that Miyamoto thinks even that game was too hard is pretty unfortunate...

Which is why this says to me that Retro should consider a 3D Donkey Kong platformer. I'd be super satisfied with another 2D DKC but I can't imagine how they could top DKC:TF's gameplay. Yeah I want Retro back on Metroid as much as the next person, but a 3D DKC would be plenty awesome too.

Nanashrew

Banned
To be honest I've never known Mario to ever be difficult, not even the older games with the exception of the original Super Mario Bros. 1 and Lost Levels.

In terms of difficulty balance:

Kirby is easy and for beginners. A good introductory platformer

Mario is balanced and gets to be about a medium in difficulty by end game.

Donkey Kong Country is hard and for more of the experienced players.

Wario and Yoshi were the unorthodox platformers and experimentations in that area.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
*Sigh* This really bums me out. I know we'd never get a Mario game that is harder than Galaxy 2, but hearing that Miyamoto thinks even that game was too hard is pretty unfortunate...

Read it again, it's about control. 2D Mario games can be hard and yet he says anyone can play them. It's not about difficulty but accessibility.

Didn't Mario Galaxy sold close to 10 million copies? Why in the name of fuck is he talking about making a Mario game for everyone? As if Galaxy wasn't a runaway mainstream success!

Also: 3D motion sickness? What is this, 1996?

Miyamoto sounds so out of touch sometimes.

Mory Dunz

As of June 30th, 2015:

There's also install bases though.

What you didn't mention is how 3D Land outsold NSMB2. (It did come out first to be fair.)

When before we had:
NSMBWii >>> Galaxies
NSMB >>> SM64DS

Top Bottom