• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: NX is different, and different is Nintendo's best option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malakai

Eurogamer said:
Once again, Nintendo has chosen the road less travelled. Assuming it's based on the Tegra X1 processor, NX will be considerably more powerful than Wii U, but it won't match PlayStation 4 or Xbox One for grunt, even as those machines are set to be superseded by more powerful hardware refreshes. (There's a chance it will get the Tegra X2 instead, about which little is known - but that's pure speculation on our part, and it wouldn't fit Nintendo's usual preference for mature, cheap parts.) NX will instead be framed as a unique proposition: a portable console that seeks to erase the line between handheld and home gaming, supporting TV display at home and local multiplayer on the move. It's even turning its back on optical discs as a physical medium for games, opting for cartridges instead. The notable concession to normality appears to be a standard control set-up that should support most popular styles of console game.

The signal to noise ratio is low. Nobody know what the final spec are going to be for the NX. Second, we don't know if if there are going to be any additional sku. So even assuming that the NX is going to use a X1 is very dishonest. Hell, if this version of NX is primary going to be handheld, then comparing the spec to the fucking Xbox One and PS4 is to the highest order of ridiculous.

Sendou

Wii U was different yes but also had the one of the worst launch/launch window lineup of games. That is kind of the only reason to buy a console and if the software is not there nothing else matters. How well they line up their software is going to make or break NX I think.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I'm not super sure who it is you're replying to, but my point was not that the Wii was a fluke or anything--it was very obviously a well-executed plan that was highly successful. My point is that the world has changed since the Wii, and as the post suggests, it's changed so much that I don't think it's all that useful to say "Well, Nintendo knocked it out of the park with the Wii, so they clearly know what they're doing". Blackberry knocked it out of the park with their platform too, and then the world changed. This is not pessimism on my part, perhaps the NX will be very successful, and I think the information so far suggests it's at least informed by the changing world. But my point is 100% the high school quarterback analogy. At some point no one is going to believe "I coulda been a contender!" with a 10 year old graph as, like, viable.

I definitely think this is the same thought processes that Nintendo use to justify their decisions, but we've not see any Nintendo system that was truly mainstream and following the crowd since the SNES, so it's impossible to say whether they'd fund success again with such a strategy or not.

It's also too early to say if the differences the NX is bringing to market are going to be a selling point or just drive costumers further into the arms of those companies in the console and mobile spaces that are already finding success creating products people want.

The portability is the only reason people would even care about 3rd party games, as it will be the only way to play them on the go (ps4 remote play is a subpar experience). Otherwise, if it was a traditional console with PS4 level graphics, why exactly would anyone care about playing 3rd party games on it? Gamers already have a PS4, Xbox One, or gaming PC, possibly all 3 and likely 2 out of 3. Their friends will already be playing games on these existing platforms, so no incentive to play 3rd party games on Nintendo platforms other than doing something different like a portable console that comes close to the living room experience.

The incentive would be to have one system that plays both Nintendo and top third-party games. It kind of irritates me that people like to put down Nintendo into "secondary console" territory. They could be much more than that. I really miss top-dog Nintendo.

How is that doomed? Will Nintendo cease to exist if they do that? Will they immediately go bankrupt and liquidate all their assets? Saying a company is doing poorly and may have to pivot is not saying a company is doomed. Pushing all criticism of Nintendo into DOOOOOOOOOOOMED is just inventing a strawman for you to attack.
Yep.

at a certain point the people who continuously downplay Nintendo's success with the Wii and DS sound like the schlubs at a high school reunion who stand in the corner all salty about what certain classmates have done since high school
Who downplayed Nintendo's success? It surely wasn't the person you quoted.

DryvBy

What? Some WiiU games are some of the very best games this gen.
Might want to play some to do yourself a favour.

Right now it's probably all aimed towards the NX reveal though.

I have a Wii U and a bunch of games. Lately (as in the past year), look at what they've put out.
-Star Fox Zero
-Metroid Prime: Federation Force
-Kirby Planet Robobot
-Paper Mario
-Animal Crossing Happy Home Design
Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival
-Codename STEAM

Compare that to the list of actually amazing games. It's supermodel thin.

Teletraan1

Banned
If Nintendo released a PS NEO power level box at a decent price but did nothing to try and get 3rd Parties on board, improve their account system, improve online infrastructure, coax more indie devs, improve media capabilities outside of toaster friendly streaming services and about a million other initiatives that Sony and MS have implemented or started implementing 2-3 generations ago to make their platform more attractive then of course it would be a bad option because it wouldn't work. If they ever want to have a successful home console again they need to catch lightning in a bottle, price their system well below the competition (Wii did both of these first 2) or put in the work that the competition has which is both expensive and time intensive.

Frankly the way they handled the Wii U with its ultra sparse lineup and fairly short lifespan and support gives me real pause when thinking about buying something new from them. If they had put in an honest effort on a bunch of the initiatives I listed above those fears would have been relieved somewhat. A real account system added to Wii U would have done a lot. Those new accounts they made that do me no good until I buy your next system inspires nothing.

LordRaptor

I'm a bit dense on the tech side of things, sorry--how does that relate to what I said? Just to confirm that VC forwards compatibility is likely?

Yeah, I would suspect that if the NX is an ARM based console as suggested, Nintendo already have working engines that at least some of their WiiU titles were built on that can export to ARM, and already have working ARM based emulators for everything up to SNES at least in terms of VC

Maybe in execution and to some players, or even most players, but surely the Wii U was intended to be a competitor for the current consoles and not the previous ones. I'm not saying players saw this as a worthwhile value proposition, but as Wii U is part of the current generation of consoles, its competitors are intended to be PS4/XB1, as evidenced by current console games coming out on Wii U (agreed that they are mainly first party games) concurrent with those releasing on PS/X.

In terms of timing, sure, the WiiU was released around the same time as the PS4/XB1. But if Nintendo didn't take into account that the 360/PS3 were going to continue to be players in the market and receive quite a few last-gen ports of games (most of which the WiiU never saw), and offer a superior value, then they totally misread the market.

The WiiU was never in the same sentence as the PS4/XB1. If you wanted one of those two, you wouldn't buy a WiiU instead. They didn't share any games or functionality. If you wanted equivalence, you're looking at last gen. (This is what I said about Apple TV too when the industry was blowing up with articles about how it would do TV gaming - its biggest competitor is an Xbox 360 and it loses. Badly.)

In relation to where the WiiU fell in the market, it wasn't cheap at all. It was substantially overpriced.

phanphare

Banned
Who downplayed Nintendo's success? It surely wasn't the person you quoted.

ha, yeah I saw his clarified post so that's my bad. there are certainly a lot of people on here who do though. often times you'll hear the "well if you omit the Wii and DS then.." but yeah, wrong guy to quote.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Yup. Doing what Sony and Microsoft are doing is the surefire way to screw themselves.

On the other side of the coin, doing what they've been doing hasn't been working out, either.

They need to differentiate themselves from the competition, yes, but also actually offer an attractive product; being different is not enough

First 3 replies pretty much nail it. They have no choice but to do something different, along with putting out a super strong library of their own first party games, Japanese exclusives (which should come as the Vita dies off since handheld gaming is key over there) and indies, and hope they can build a big enough base to make stable profits.

Honestly, it should be do able as long as they get the pricing, design and marketing right. With all their games on one platform, and their high attach rates, they can make nice stable profits without needing a gigantic base. Aided by the fact that they're a much smaller company than Sony and MS and don't have other areas of their business that can bleed money and stress the company (Sony with it's decline in phones, getting out of laptops, decline in tv/home theater sales, MS struggles with phones, MP3 players etc. over the years).

If they can sell at least 30-40 million of these they should be set. Though of course they hope to sell many more. Adding revenue streams with Amiibo, Mobile, theme parks, movies, TV shows, merchandise etc. helps a ton as well and reduces the amount of profits they need from gaming to thrive.

mejin

For years we heard them telling us they would go with a different approach, but most of the time I saw it as an excuse to just lazy around and don't offer simple features everyone was already offering.

I hope this time "different" is not worse, but a solid product.

AGoodODST

I'm glad Nintendo is doing something different. Keeps things interesting.

I already have a PS4 which I use alongside my WiiU and an Xbone that is sitting on a shelf broken cause I haven't even bothered to send it in for repair because it offers the same experience as the PS4 (I will get round to sending it in eventually). I really don't need another console that fills the same role.

Don't want this to turn into a technical thread, but the article clearly states that an X1 would make it more powerful than Wii U. Can I take this to be true? I was hearing people say it was stronger than PS3/360, but that's about it. Plus the Doom controversy on Shield and Polygon's pessimistic article.

DangerMan

Banned
I don't care what it is but if it doesn't have at least New-3DS level of auto-multiscopy then Nintendo is missing on potentially thousands of dollars from me across the systems lifetime. I guess they must have an audience for it if this it what they are going with.

All I have to say is that this thing will kill in Japan and jump from the 3DS success there

As far as global? It should outperform the WiiU/3DS if the price is right and the games are there

This could be big... not viral but big

And Pokemon Go has been a huge wake up call for the Nintendo brand in the eyes of the general public

NX will do just fine regardless. Japan eats their shit UP

I have a Wii U and a bunch of games. Lately (as in the past year), look at what they've put out.
-Star Fox Zero
-Kirby Planet Robobot
-Paper Mario
-Codename STEAM

Yeah lately it has been horrific, i agree. But i guessed it was mostly because they are keeping the good stuff for NX.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Don't want this to turn into a technical thread, but the article clearly states that an X1 would make it more powerful than Wii U. Can I take this to be true? I was hearing people say it was stronger than PS3/360, but that's about it. Plus the Doom controversy on Shield and Polygon's pessimistic article.

Well, the Wii U struggled to match PS3/360 any some benchmarks, and barely exceeded them in others, so that's pretty much your answer.

It's also highly unlikely the NX will use the X1 chip. It will probably be the X2, or some custom chip NVidia made for them that falls between the X1 and X2.

From what more knowledgeable folks have posted, the X2 would probably get it close to Xbox 1 performances when docked and able too take advantage of the power supply and perhaps active cooling provided by the dock. Only time will tell of course.

-Star Fox Zero
-Kirby Planet Robobot
-Paper Mario
-Codename STEAM

Well, we can all hope that the past year or so has been thin as they've just thrown Wii U and 3DS owners mostly scraps while saving up games to have a great NX launch and first year library. Surely they had to learn from how the poor launch window lineups for the 3DS and WIi U hurt those launches.

jdstorm

Banned
This Nintendo can't compete narrative is Sad. Nintendo tried for the first time in a while and completely took over E3 this year. Smash Bros is one of the most important fledgling Esports games and Splatoon is close to the perfect Esport shooter. Due to its non violent nature and easy to understand scoring system.

If Nintendo had management that was looking to be on trend and shape the industry they would be the most important of the big 3. Unfortunately they seem resistant to adopt current industry standard practices (for better and worse) and what they bring to the table with their uniqueness is overshadowed by everything they are missing

Gator86

ha, yeah I saw his clarified post so that's my bad. there are certainly a lot of people on here who do though. often times you'll hear the "well if you omit the Wii and DS then.." but yeah, wrong guy to quote.

Downplaying and accurately describing the Wii as a total outlier are not the same thing. The Wii is not representative of Nintendo's trajectory. Every single Nintendo condole for 30 years has sold roughly 10m to 15m less than its predecessor with the exception of the Wii. Yeah, for however you want to describe it, the Wii was an astronomical success. However, it means nothing for Nintendo now aside from bring the source of Nintendo's plush bank account.

While this isn't quite how I had expected Nintendo to consolidate their software output, I agree that doing so and focusing on first-party software (rather than hardware gimmicks) as the primary differentiator is their only real shot at reviving the hardware business.

ksamedi

Downplaying and accurately describing the Wii as a total outlier are not the same thing. The Wii is not representative of Nintendo's trajectory. Every single Nintendo condole for 30 years has sold roughly 10m to 15m less than its predecessor with the exception of the Wii. Yeah, for however you want to describe it, the Wii was an astronomical success. However, it means nothing for Nintendo now aside from bring the source of Nintendo's plush bank account.

I think you're forgetting The NES and Gameboy and DS. I do believe they have a talent for creating big hits.

Malakai

I'm not super sure who it is you're replying to, but my point was not that the Wii was a fluke or anything--it was very obviously a well-executed plan that was highly successful. My point is that the world has changed since the Wii, and as the post suggests, it's changed so much that I don't think it's all that useful to say "Well, Nintendo knocked it out of the park with the Wii, so they clearly know what they're doing". Blackberry knocked it out of the park with their platform too, and then the world changed. This is not pessimism on my part, perhaps the NX will be very successful, and I think the information so far suggests it's at least informed by the changing world. But my point is 100% the high school quarterback analogy. At some point no one is going to believe "I coulda been a contender!" with a 10 year old graph as, like, viable.

I quoted you. So, guess that means that I'm relying to you. Second, the graph isn't 10 years old. The Wii didn't sale 100 million console alone in 2006. It took years for Nintendo just like any platform holder to reach though figures The end date on the chart is from three years ago. So, the chart isn't 10 years old.

Quite frankly, the Blackberry situation isn't even a direct parallel to what Nintendo facing. Nintendo is dealing with competitors that were willing to lose billions of dollars. In the case of Blackberry, Blackberry didn't have to compete with that. Blackberry lost on a quite even field. Sony and Microsoft brought their way into the gaming industry. Blackberry lost due to not being able innovate AND compete on price with it's competitors. Also, often literally all of their low end and mid end devices offered a poor user experience and questionable built quality. (God I hated that JMV Error XXX...generally had to reinstall the whole phone operating system after getting that error)

Furthermore, you are being pessimist, which is fine, it is your right.

phanphare

Banned

yeah this is a post that my original post was more aimed at haha

Anth0ny

I still don't know how successful a video game console that doesn't have the most popular video games in the world on it can be.

Look at GTA V. It's number 2 on the NPD charts in June.

IT'S BEEN ALMOST 3 YEARS SINCE IT CAME OUT

And it's a game that Nintendo will never have on its machines as long as it continues to be "different".

Releasing a new console that doesn't have GTA, or FIFA, or COD, or any of the other massively popular games... in 2017, I don't know how much you can expect out of a machine like that when it comes to sales.

As long as Nintendo puts out a first party box, I think they will be "doomed" to come in third place every gen to Playstation and Xbox.

But maybe they don't care. Maybe selling 30 million units each gen is fine with them, and they're just going to make their dough out of the hardest of hardcore, and maybe some new kids who haven't caught onto COD and GTA yet.

I just think it's such a defeatist attitude. Nintendo should want it all. And they don't. They're content with being "different", and just letting this giant piece of the pie go to Microsoft and Sony.

maxcriden

Yeah, I would suspect that if the NX is an ARM based console as suggested, Nintendo already have working engines that at least some of their WiiU titles were built on that can export to ARM, and already have working ARM based emulators for everything up to SNES at least in terms of VC

Ah, excellent. Thank you so much for the clarification.

I'm pretty sure that was all just an assumption by another site based on a statement from Sharp. It also sounds like the specs have been heavily in flux for months.

Oh, gotcha. Thank you!

longdi

Banned
Is it really different?

Looks to me like it is a successor for 3ds, with video out dock.

Any idea what will the battery/weight be like? Afaik, tegra is inefficient for mobile, at least compared to the others

jdstorm

Banned

Don't forget Dolphin runs on android so Wii and Game cube support already exists for ARM chips (admittedly from another company)

maxcriden

In terms of timing, sure, the WiiU was released around the same time as the PS4/XB1. But if Nintendo didn't take into account that the 360/PS3 were going to continue to be players in the market and receive quite a few last-gen ports of games (most of which the WiiU never saw), and offer a superior value, then they totally misread the market.

The WiiU was never in the same sentence as the PS4/XB1. If you wanted one of those two, you wouldn't buy a WiiU instead. They didn't share any games or functionality. If you wanted equivalence, you're looking at last gen. (This is what I said about Apple TV too when the industry was blowing up with articles about how it would do TV gaming - its biggest competitor is an Xbox 360 and it loses. Badly.)

In relation to where the WiiU fell in the market, it wasn't cheap at all. It was substantially overpriced.

I don't disagree with any of what you wrote. There's no question Nintendo completely misread the market and the Wii U was a major misfire. I just meant more from Nintendo's intended pricing and hope that they'd be seen as a competitive console, that from their perspective $350 was probably intended to undercut the potential competition.

Is it really different?

Any idea what will the battery/weight be like? Afaik, tegra is inefficient for mobile, at least compared to the others

We don't know yet if the dock is merely a video out. Potentially it may do more than that, i.e. improve power for TV output.

wwm0nkey

Is it really different?

I'm just going based off my Zune HD that used a gen1 Tegra but that thing was GREAT for battery life while playing games like Audio Surf

Kurdel

Banned
-Star Fox Zero
-Kirby Planet Robobot
-Paper Mario
-Codename STEAM

The whole lineup from the last year feels like filler.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
I don't think this has ever been mentioned before, but have they considered ditching hardware altogether and going 3rd party? Or perhaps mobile?
Not in a million years. Nintendo has enough money for 5 more failed console generations before they would even consider such a thing.

Seriously though, I completely agree with the article. Just making a traditional PS4-like console would be the worst thing they could do. Being capable of 3rd party multiplats won't do shit for sales. Anybody who cares about those already owns an X1 or PS4 and is invested in one of those ecosystems.

Instead, a kickass handheld that doubles as a so-so console makes a lot more sense. The value of a single unified platform with a unified handheld/console library is FAR greater than being a 4th option for 3rd party games.

I still don't know how successful a video game console that doesn't have the most popular video games in the world on it can be.

And it's a game that Nintendo will never have on its machines as long as it continues to be "different".

Releasing a new console that doesn't have GTA, or FIFA, or COD, or any of the other massively popular games... in 2017, I don't know how much you can expect out of a machine like that when it comes to sales.

As long as Nintendo puts out a first party box, I think they will be "doomed" to come in third place every gen to Playstation and Xbox.

But maybe they don't care. Maybe selling 30 million units each gen is fine with them, and they're just going to make their dough out of the hardest of hardcore, and maybe some new kids who haven't caught onto COD and GTA yet.

I just think it's such a defeatist attitude. Nintendo should want it all. And they don't. They're content with being "different", and just letting this giant piece of the pie go to Microsoft and Sony.

Oh don't worry it will get the bad Mobile edition

What would happen to smaller games if Nintendo were to go Third Party? Stuff like A Link Between Worlds? Would they just not happen?

maxcriden

Your point is well made, but at the end of the day, players who want those kinds of games won't buy Nintendo systems for them because they'll also want all the other sorts of shooting/sports games that they can only get through PS/X (and PC). Given that, there's little incentive for third parties to make ports of these for Nintendo...unless Nintendo can demonstrate having that kind of audience for their systems, which they haven't been able to do for many years (if ever). So it's a catch-22 and a cyclical problem.

What would happen to smaller games if Nintendo were to go Third Party? Stuff like A Link Between Worlds? Would they just not happen?

Right. I think they wouldn't happen. But not even just your 2D Zeldas, also your BOXBOXBOYs and your Pushmo Worlds and your Kirby spin-offs and Xenoblades, etc. Anything that isn't a zillion seller would be up for the "pass" pile.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Is it really different?

1. Just being portable is different since Vita is dead and Sony and MS will thus have no portable option.

2. Vita doesn't work on TV.

3. Past portable as on TV, be it PSP Go or Nintendo's adapters for SNES (Super Gameboy) and GameCube (Gameboy Player) didn't up the resolution to TV levels. This dock will at the least provide extra power supply and possibly active cooling to allow the chips to overclock and games to bump up from the likely 540p portable resolution to 1080p for the TV. It's also possible that it could involve their supplemental computing device patent and provide even more of a boost--though I think that unlikely.

4. The software will differentiate it. It will have all Nintendos games in one place for the first time ever. It will probably have the strongest library of niche Japanese titles since those mostly go to portables in Japan and this will be the only portable in town as it replaces the 3DS and the Vita is dead.

How so? The Wii U was really their only objective misstep since the GC. The 3DS is by no means a failure, especially considering how poorly the market treated the Vita (which if anything is proof of exactly what this article is going for).

No Nintendo has be doing missteps since N64 .
The Wii was the only bright spot for them consoles wise in the last 20 years .
Handheld they have always done much better but that market seem to be dying rather fast .

Sony for the console
MS for the PC
Nintendo for the handheld

That's how I've always got my gaming on, I wish each company would embrace those philosophies so we can stop having so much overlap. Looks to be what they are doing I hope.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Your point is well made, but at the end of the day, players who want those kinds of games won't buy Nintendo systems for them because they'll also want all the other sorts of shooting/sports games that they can only get through PS/X (and PC). Given that, there's little incentive for third parties to make ports of these for Nintendo. So it's a catch-22 and a cyclical problem.

Exactly. The people who want those type of games already have other consoles as that's where those games are, and those systems have exclusives more in line with those type of games.

And the people who ONLY buy Nintendo hardware don't want those type of games, or else they wouldn't be owning only Nintendo hardware and thus missing out on those type of games.

There's just not this huge pent up market of Nintendo lovers pining for those type of games on their consoles. If they want them, they buy other consoles to play them. Just like people who want Nintendo games buy Nintendo hardware to play them.

Hell, look at the Wii. The only games that really fit that mold of AAA games popular on the other platforms that sold over a million (on a console that sold over 100 million) are the RE4 remake at over 2 million, and Call of Duty World at War at over 1 million (out of a total 15 million sales across all platforms).

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I quoted you. So, guess that means that I'm relying to you. Second, the graph isn't 10 years old. The Wii didn't sale 100 million console alone in 2006. It took years for Nintendo just like any platform holder to reach though figures The end date on the chart is from three years ago. So, the chart isn't 10 years old.

Quite frankly, the Blackberry situation isn't even a direct parallel to what Nintendo facing. Nintendo is dealing with competitors that were willing to lose billions of dollars. In the case of Blackberry, Blackberry didn't have to compete with that. Blackberry lost on a quite even field. Sony and Microsoft brought their way into the gaming industry. Blackberry lost due to not being able innovate AND compete on price with it's competitors. Also, often literally all of their low end and mid end devices offered a poor user experience and questionable built quality. (God I hated that JMV Error XXX...generally had to reinstall the whole phone operating system after getting that error)

Furthermore, you are being pessimist, which is fine, it is your right.

Blackberry did have to compete with companies willing to...I don't know if it was lose billions..but selling at a loss.... or not focusing on profits as much.

Android manufacturers. Android is mostly about market share and not profits.

Which is what some of us be saying. Market share is important too.

Trago

I agree. NX doesn't need to be a competitor to the PS4/Xbox One. Who the fuck will drop those consoles and jump ship to Nintendo if they had a powerful box with third party support? They already have a box for that.

I feel that the NX should emulate the success of the 3DS, it's got third party support and a killer first party lineup. NX is just one platform for first party to focus on. Add that to the third party titles you come to expect on 3DS and this is looking like a kick ass gaming machine in general. I already have a PC as my primary platform, NX would be a great addition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom