• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: Star Wars Battlefront 2 has a loot crate problem.

Since we are doing OT titles:

Star Wars Battlefront II |OT| There's always a bigger whale
Star Wars Battlefront II |OT| Never tell me the odds!
Star Wars Battlefront II |OT| He's holding a thermal detonator with a 0.15% buff!
Star Wars Battlefront II |OT| I don't like loot crates. They're coarse and rough and irritating and they get everywhere.

Though personally I don't mind the loot crate implementation in this.

Rodelero

It's just depressing when you grind out a crate, pick a starfighter one, and then get zero starfighter cards. A Han Solo emote and 2 pieces of scrap, yay. Really not going to help me catch up to the other Startfighter players that have juiced up damage and defense.

Doesn't the text imply a Starfighter Crate guarantees one piece of Starfighter loot? Unless the crafting parts count as part of that... that would be spectacularly gross.

Aspiring

After watching the latest trailers and some ga.eplay i was sold. Now its a hard pass. Seriously remi ds me of the online pass and similar shit. If we dont buy they will change it. Buy it and it will continue.

zonezeus

I'm going to be a pessimist about this: I don't see loot boxes going away without some harsh legislation calling them out for what they really are (gambling) and slapping 18+ restrictions and everything those entail on them. Fingers crossed for EU stepping in and ending this nonsense, voting with my wallet obviously doesn't work.

shimon

If it bombs (which I don't think it will) EA will pull an Andromeda on the series. So it's either we get this or no SWBF at all. Great...

HariKari

Doesn't the text imply a Starfighter Crate guarantees one piece of Starfighter loot? Unless the crafting parts count as part of that... that would be spectacularly gross.

Yes, the text explicitly says that, but I've had it happen now with two crates where I've not gotten a card. I'm missing many cards for the ships to boot. I think they have it set so that if you get a dupe of a card you already have, it doesn't level it up, it just gives you a very meager amount of scrap (20). That's fucked up. It completely removes the feeling of progression.

StarWars the perfect series for good cosmetics that will sell those lootboxes on its own, but what does EA do they make P2W lootboxes. Their greed is just disgusting.

Yukinari

I'm going to be a pessimist about this: I don't see loot boxes going away without some harsh legislation calling them out for what they really are (gambling) and slapping 18+ restrictions and everything those entail on them. Fingers crossed for EU stepping in and ending this nonsense, voting with my wallet obviously doesn't work.

Its obvious that voting with money has not worked now that 2017 became the year of loot boxes. No point in even trying to fight it back without help from a higher power like government getting involved.

Its sad that its come to that point.

Yes, the text explicitly says that, but I've had it happen now with two crates where I've not gotten a card. I'm missing many cards for the ships to boot. I think they have it set so that if you get a dupe of a card you already have, it doesn't level it up, it just gives you a very meager amount of scrap (20). That's fucked up. It completely removes the feeling of progression.
Always remember: It's a beta. Maybe it's just a bug or the whole system isn't even final. The game is over one month away.

shimon

Always remember: It's a beta. Maybe it's just a bug or the whole system isn't even final. The game is over one month away.

But why would a beta have a different progression system than the full release? Is this kind of shit common with betas now? Has it happened before?

If it does indeed change then my only answer to this would be that they were testing the waters to see how much they can get away with.

But why would a beta have a different progression system than the full release? Is this kind of shit common with betas now? Has it happened before?

If it does indeed change then my only answer to this would be that they were testing the waters to see how much they can get away with.
The lootboxes will stay, but they might change/adjust some things how to get them, drop chances, card balance etc.

And a bugged lootbox / wrong description in a beta is totally possible, yes.

bbalde

With the busiest season of the year in gaming, some publishers are really making it easy for me. All good, when they will come to their sense I might reconsider.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
I'm curious as to how the a la carte stuff in Titanfall 2 has fared.

I'm curious as I didn't once engage with that system because it felt... pricey. Also I felt it lacked the impact of the progressional cosmetic unlocks (even though some of them ask a ridiculous amount of playtime from the player).

I'm asking because I wonder if the data from Titanfall's way of handling things has shown it to be less effective in additional monetization from players.

I'm not looking at this from a moral standpoint presently (do we actually have a clear picture of their intent for launch or is this all speculation?) but a purely data driven one. It might be that lootboxes and non-cosmetics are more effective in monetizing players than simple a la carte systems (again I am not going to bat in defense of BFII here...).

As a reformed DOTA 2 player I absolutely saw my interest in treasures drop off a cliff when they turned to random drops rather than "Hey I want this cool Crystal Maiden hat" but given Valve's doubling down on random drops I feel my experience is the exception rather than the norm.

Hanmik

5m2w1aL.png

read the description..

IMPORTANT NOTE: Crate contents and rarity distribution are intended for multiplayer beta only

Roufianos

Just seen Angry Joe's video and it really is disgusting. There's no unlocks by levelling up? You get the same amount of credits regardless of your performance? Absolutely pathetic.

I'd have absolutely no problem purchasing DLC maps so long as the base game had sufficient content.

dispensergoinup

Gold Member
All I needed to check was if these random drops changed the gameplay in a way that would give others an advantage over those that don't get lucky drops, they apparently do so I'm out.

Loot boxes for cosmetics is fine, gameplay changes, no.

If this game reviews well (particularly the SP) I'll watch it on YouTube. Otherwise, the abhorrent progression system design—i.e. orientated around slowing player progression to a point that buying loot-crates becomes the only reasonable option—can go fuck right off.

AAA console games are becoming iOS games now...

I want to be positive for Anthem, but after this... *sigh*

Skulldead

Saw Angry joe video on these loot box.... the balance seem to be all over the place. Biggest P2W on a retail release I saw since a long time...

I'm going to be a pessimist about this: I don't see loot boxes going away without some harsh legislation calling them out for what they really are (gambling) and slapping 18+ restrictions and everything those entail on them
I also watched the Totalbiscuit video on loot boxes :p

Raptomex

I know loot crates have been around for a little while but over the past several months it's all I'm hearing about. What the fuck is going on?

TheYanger

I know loot crates have been around for a little while but over the past several months it's all I'm hearing about. What the fuck is going on?

Everyone saw OW making plenty of money and getting away with it, and decided they needed them. But then they decided to go the shit P2W route instead because everyone is greedy as fuck and most games don't have enough room for a bunch of OW cosmetics to fill loot boxes (Or in star wars case, they're probably VERY limited by the license).

Can't make 40 different Boba Fett skins, but you can sure make 5 rarities of his gun to collect!

Raptomex

Everyone saw OW making plenty of money and getting away with it, and decided they needed them. But then they decided to go the shit P2W route instead because everyone is greedy as fuck and most games don't have enough room for a bunch of OW cosmetics to fill loot boxes (Or in star wars case, they're probably VERY limited by the license).

Can't make 40 different Boba Fett skins, but you can sure make 5 rarities of his gun to collect!
Is that how all of this nonsense started? Greedy motherfuckers.

Well I was somewhat interested in this but now, not so much. No word on Galactic Conquest, loot crates, and talk of P2W? I'll wait and see how it turns out first.

Star Wars Battlefront 2 |OT| From My Point of View, the Loot Crates are Evil!

I was probably already beaten on that one but haven't checked the whole thread.

ffvorax

Games with "smartphone games loot" similarities? Not thx, or at best I'll wait for the super discount price of 15€.
At least on smartphones ptw are free to play....

If it bombs (which I don't think it will) EA will pull an Andromeda on the series. So it's either we get this or no SWBF at all. Great...

Not sure I see a major Star Wars game like this bombing. Especially not one that releases near a numbered film. We can make our voices heard, but those boycotting entirely aren't going to hurt the game much I feel. I for one am helpless to the power of that damn series. I'm sorry Gaf.

If this game reviews well (particularly the SP) I'll watch it on YouTube.
In case of good reviews for the single-player, why not get and play it for yourself when I you are mainly interested in the singleplayer? This makes no sense at all. You could still go the EA Access/used-game/borrow game-route to not give them much/any money.

Sorry, but sometimes it feels like people really, really want to find an excuse to not play a game ... especially with AAA titles from WB, Ubi and EA.

Top Bottom