• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: Star Wars Battlefront 2 has a loot crate problem.

I'll still be buying this game, but will never spend a cent on a loot crate. That way it'll show them I like Battlefront, but not this.

It's not like people who play and don't pay won't get the loot crates anyway, it just speeds up the process is all.

99% of mobile gamers dont spend a penny on games, did MTs go away?

If you buy the game you are sending the message that everything they're doing is great. They only need go exploit a small % of players to reap huge profits.

That...won't work. You buying the game sends one message and one message only, that you aren't bothered by the presence of loot boxes enough to not buy the game.

This is why the system will only continue to gradually get worse. They do it slowly, introducing it in more games where it doesn't belong (happening now). Then when the game sells well they push it a little further.

Actually...

This type of protest works only if said people buy the used physical copy. Then they are technically a lost sale and the person gets to play the game. This is implying they don't spend a dime on MT.

Edit: I am guessing Redboxxing and Gameflying works too.

There are many now seemingly being more positive about the game, from the comments on that sub and also here, I don't know if this is due to the reports that the items in the loot-boxes in the BETA is not representative in the actual game, but can EA/DICE/Criterion be trusted, why have they not come out and categorically stated this and also given examples of the loot-box costs, items contained and crafting requirements?

You're right, and it will probably go down like this.

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsBa..._disapproval_spreading_like_wildfire/do63cw5/

At the end of the day, it's Star Wars...and it's releasing during the holiday season, close to the release of TLJ...

XandBosch

That...won't work. You buying the game sends one message and one message only, that you aren't bothered by the presence of loot boxes enough to not buy the game.

This is why the system will only continue to gradually get worse. They do it slowly, introducing it in more games where it doesn't belong (happening now). Then when the game sells well they push it a little further.

99% of mobile gamers dont spend a penny on games, did MTs go away?

If you buy the game you are sending the message that everything they're doing is great. They only need go exploit a small % of players to reap huge profits.

Oh well. Guess I'm "okay with it" then. I'm willing to play the game and enjoy it and just not pay for these things.

samn

Actually...

This type of protest works only if said people buy the used physical copy. Then they are technically a lost sale and the person gets to play the game. This is implying they don't spend a dime on MT.

Used copies aren’t a total loss for devs because they encourage people to buy 60 dollar games at launch in the knowledge someone will buy it off them for 50 bucks if the game is no fun for them. They keep prices high

Actually...

If you buy used you usually force someone else to buy new when the used stock runs out. At least that tends to happen at retail. So your individual actions don't really make a difference.

If you object to certain practices just don't buy the product.

If someone's spitting in the Burgers at a restaurant, you wouldn't eat the rest of the menu, would you?

Boss X

Banned
Buying your way to the game's greatest weapons definitely loses some of the charm of earning through progression, luckily with Battlefront 2015 the games bests weapons were in reach almost from the start.

Raide

Buying your way to the game's greatest weapons definitely loses some of the charm of earning through progression, luckily with Battlefront 2015 the games bests weapons were in reach almost from the start.

Agreed. Vast majority of the weapons sucked apart from one or two. I guess it depends on which ones you wanted to get.

thumb

Banned
Betas are very commonly extended. It gives game companies another round of press for the game and they can always say it was because of demand.

You say that as if this isn't a normal part of the experience anyway. Being beaten by someone who has better stuff than you is part of Call of Duty, Battlefield, Halo, Rainbow Six: Siege, Uncharted 4, and so forth. Some games allow you to earn that stuff through playing or paying, some only support earning it through playing - none of these games are truly level playing fields.

The question that needs to be asked isn't whether you can pay for an advantage (you can, but then you can in all of those other games too) but whether the advantage a paying player has over a relatively experienced non-playing one is excessive.
Agree, this already existed just by people who play alot unlocking the better stuff. Now its just worse because paying comes in. This right here is the reason why I cant stand MP games most of the time. No such thing as even playing field skill vs skill with any of it.

That being said since this is the same thing just payments being involved it dosnt really change things for me since I wont be paying and I never play enough to get all the unlocks like normal so its really the same. If the SP is good and maps have bots and alot of coop content I will get it when its 30 or 40 bucks.

It won't be fun when you get annihilated by a player that has 3 star cards, aka 3 advantages over you because he spent 100 bucks until he got the loot he wanted.

If you're not getting annihilated by the player who spent $100 bucks to get OP gear, then you're gonna get annihilated by the player who spends all day grinding (aka no-lifer).

To me, there's really no difference between the two. With the former, at least it gives people the option to compete with hardcore grinders without devaluing their effort put into the grind. (time = money).

Rival

Gold Member
Then they'll start putting parts of the singleplayer behind expansions passes. So you can't finish the game properly until you buy a season pass or pay to unlock the on disk DLC :D. Which they install anyway, you just don't get it unlocked until you pay.

Then they get nothing from me! But I could seriously see that happening.

Raven77

If you're not getting annihilated by the player who spent $100 bucks to get OP gear, then you're gonna get annihilated by the player who spends all day grinding (aka no-lifer).

To me, there's really no difference between the two. With the former, at least it gives people the option to compete with hardcore grinders without devaluing their effort put into the grind. (time = money).

The difference is actually pretty huge between the two types of players in your example above.

A time-grinder we'll call them will spend countless hours getting the best stuff. They in turn should naturally become better at the game as the more you do something you should become more familiar and better at it, generally. Also grinding takes time. Meaning while this type of player is grinding away it could still take them a few weeks.

A money-spender has nowhere near the familiarity with the game as a time-grinder. Also they will instantly be better than you, not having to spend the hours upon hours playing the game for the best gear. This can be good, as the player will just have better cards but not necessarily know the maps better than you, be more seasoned with the game, etc.

TheYanger

Legit question. Isn't this "loot boxes" thing the same thing Valve did with TF2 when they included new weapons and equipment? You could even pay for materials for crafting.

No. When valve introduced the new weapons the first go round you could earn them from achievements, and while certain loadouts might have been better (The 'league of legends' style of pay to win, where you get more breadth but not more absolute power) it wasn't anything involving loot crates, the things just dropped periodically if you played enough or if you got the specific avehiements to unlock them.

Loot boxes and piles of weapons didn't become a thing until the game was F2P, and they still don't level up or get stronger or anything else from that.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Dont know if posted already but angryjoe made a video about this

https://youtu.be/ne4CnyNW9O4

Great video because he does a good job at explaining this even if you haven't played the beta. This is a shame, because it seems like a great game is being held hostage by this fucked up progression system. Boxes used for purely cosmetic purposes are one thing, but when it starts to invade on the actual progression of the game... that's a problem. Especially since those that decide to play normally, only get a few drops per match. And it's the same for everyone, no matter how skilled you are? I'm hoping for the fanbase the final product handles things differently, because the uproar for this is more than valid.

Permanently A

Legit question. Isn't this "loot boxes" thing the same thing Valve did with TF2 when they included new weapons and equipment? You could even pay for materials for crafting.

Technically I guess, but in reality not really. No one WANTED to get a weapon from a lootcrate in TF2, you wanted to get a hat or other rare cosmetic. The same weapons that dropped while playing/could be easily crafted/traded for were basically shitty rewards from crates.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The EA Star Wars Twitter thanked people for their feedback to improve the game and posted a link however I can’t get it to open on mobile at all. Is there any concrete info in there, especially about the economy?

http://x.ea.com/38387

Audioboxer

The EA Star Wars Twitter thanked people for their feedback to improve the game and posted a link however I can't get it to open on mobile at all. Is there any concrete info in there, especially about the economy?

http://x.ea.com/38387

"Short on time" argument

SoI0XrH.png

Truly, video games are becoming a lootcrative business.

I can't believe no one high fived this, so *high five*

Top Bottom