• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: Star Wars Battlefront 2 has a loot crate problem.

matmanx1

At this point I am slightly ashamed of the amount of money I spent on Overwatch loot crates because it makes me believe that I am (or was) part of the problem. I don't regret spending money on Overwatch mind you, I am still fond of that game despite its shortcomings, but the "all lootbox everything" gaming future is not something that I want or support.

Since we are doing OT titles:
Star Wars Battlefront II |OT| Never tell me the odds!
This one for sure.

The loot crate method of upgrades is awful.
I much prefer the currency-purchase method. Earn currency while playing and buy the upgrades that interest you.
Leave loot crates to cosmetic stuff if you feel they're necessary. BF1 does this well enough, with battlepacks containing cosmetic stuff while you buy the guns.

Both methods work are compatible with microtransactions since you can let players can buy game currency with real money. But I guess the businessmen have calculated that people will spend a lot more to gamble for a Gold X-wing than they will to just buy it.

gatti-man

Yeah no.

Just because someone is too much of a man-child to resist cosmetics doesn't make the system bad.

It has nothing to do with being a man child. RNG loot mechanics are essentially gambling. people get a high and spend way more than they ever would or should if the skins were available to buy separately. Blizz has made over a billion in revenue from them. You think it’s alll from people buying a few at a time? It’s wrong and needs to be regulated.

In case of good reviews for the single-player, why not get and play it for yourself when I you are mainly interested in the singleplayer? This makes no sense at all. You could still go the EA Access/used-game/borrow game-route to not give them much/any money.

Sorry, but sometimes it feels like people really, really want to find an excuse to not play a game ... especially with AAA titles from WB, Ubi and EA.

EA Access isn't available on PS4, also would give EA money. I would borrow it, but I don't know anyone buying it. Also, I never buy used games, because I don't like seeing 100% of my game purchase £s going to mooching games retailers and none to the developer.

More importantly though, games developers/publishers aren't entitled to my money, neither am I obligated to buy a game that has a certain mode I'm interested in (when the rest of the game I find to be an utter affront to gaming as a medium).

Perhaps, take a step back yourself and think about why you seem to think publishers are entitled to my purchase when they deliberately undermine a product by implementing anti-consumer, gross and predatory systems like the one in this game.

star cards shouldn't be used to upgrade weapon damage and defense increases. It's totally unfair.

Honestly, my biggest complaint is that progression seems to be randomized for everyone. Whether I level up or buy all of my loot crates, it seems I'd have the same odds of getting what I want.

On the other hand, that might make it so I'm less likely to be seriously outclassed if I don't play the game often.

EA Access isn't available on PS4, also would give EA money. I would borrow it, but I don't know anyone buying it. Also, I never buy used games, because I don't like seeing 100% of my game purchase £s going to mooching games retailers and none to the developer.

More importantly though, games developers/publishers aren't entitled to my money, neither am I obligated to buy a game that has a certain mode I'm interested in (when the rest of the game I find to be an utter affront to gaming as a medium).

Perhaps, take a step back yourself and think about why you seem to think publishers are entitled to my purchase when they deliberately undermine a product by implementing anti-consumer, gross and predatory systems like the one in this game.
I showed you three ways how the publisher doesn't get your money, or at least not much over EA Access.

sjay1994

My OT suggestions

Star Wars Battlefront II |OT| ...I'll try spinning. That's a good trick.
Star Wars Battlefront II |OT|That's not how game progression works!
Star Wars Battlefront II |OT|Loot crates are a pathway to abilities some would consider unnatural
Star Wars Battlefront II |OT|I don't like loot crates. They get everywhere.
Star Wars Battlefront II |OT|So this is how gaming dies... with thunderous loot crates
Star Wars Battlefront II |OT|You don't want to sell me loot crates
Star Wars Battlefront II |OT|Nooooooooooooo!
Star Wars Battlefront II |OT| YOU WERE THE CHOSEN ONE!

Raven77

Sure, if some players could never get access to the same weapon upgrades through gameplay.

...which is exactly how this is setup. Some players MAY never get those upgrades.

Not sure how some people are defending this system. Go watch angry Joe's analysis of the loot crate system. He does a pretty good job of breaking down the absolutely insane amount of time it will take non micro transaction players to upgrade things.

ISOM

I would be ok with this if this game was f2p or like a $19.99 game. I'm not paying $60 to be frustrated at getting one shot by someone who has the money to spend on loot crates. That's not fun.

Shock32

I bet EA changes this. What do you guys think? The more sites that bring this up, the traction it's getting on Reddit and social media is causing such bad publicity; at this point they almost have too. Maybe it's wishful thinking because I really want this game but I will not spend a dime until they get rid of this nonsense.

sjay1994

I bet EA changes this. What do you guys think? The more sites that bring this up, the traction it's getting on Reddit and social media is causing such bad publicity; at this point they almost have too. Maybe it's wishful thinking because I really want this game but I will not spend a dime until they get rid of this nonsense.

They have the Star Wars license. They don't have to change shit because they know people will still buy the game.

Raide

...which is exactly how this is setup. Some players MAY never get those upgrades.

Not sure how some people are defending this system. Go watch angry Joe's analysis of the loot crate system. He does a pretty good job of breaking down the absolutely insane amount of time it will take non micro transaction players to upgrade things.

Since you can use scrap to upgrade the card higher to match that rank, it's not like players will never get them it just means they might have to play more to get it, instead of burning cash early to get them.

Will watch the video now, just for reference.

Morinaga

Downloaded the beta and was greeted with this loot box shit. Played 2 games, decided it wasn't worth it and deleted the fucking thing.

I don't understand all this convoluted nonsense both EA and Disney are shovelling. I mean wouldn't it be easier to sell Smack to children in playgrounds.

Sami+

Yeah no.

Just because someone is too much of a man-child to resist cosmetics doesn't make the system bad.

Oh wow, it really is that simple! Have you ever considered working in psychiatry? I bet you'd set all those dumb idiot manchild gamblers straight in minutes, just think of the good you could do.

Lol no. Whatever people are saying about it it is still a super pretty star wars game coming out a month before the next big movie im the franchise. Game will do well.

It does seem they went super excess with it though. Cosmetics and lootbox stuff that isnt gameplay essential is fine. But doing it to gameplay altering stuff is crappy. I don't really care much for this stuff because I'm trash at shooters so this stuff will make no difference in my play but its pretty bad.

Especially when one of the rare abilities is utterly broken like how I expect it to be.

Audioboxer

Oh wow, it really is that simple! Have you ever considered working in psychiatry? I bet you'd set all those dumb idiot manchild gamblers straight in minutes, just think of the good you could do.

CBT? Nah, MBT everyone.

Manchild behavioural therapy. We don't need any of that stupid cognitive behavioural therapy for attempting to aid with gambling addictions.

Shock32

Lol no. Whatever people are saying about it it is still a super pretty star wars game coming out a month before the next big movie im the franchise. Game will do well.

It does seem they went super excess with it though. Cosmetics and lootbox stuff that isnt gameplay essential is fine. But doing it to gameplay altering stuff is crappy. I don't really care much for this stuff because I'm trash at shooters so this stuff will make no difference in my play but its pretty bad.

Especially when one of the rare abilities is utterly broken like how I expect it to be.

Oh well then.
I guess I'll be sticking with GT sport and CoD this winter.

Star Wars Battlefront II |OT| …I’ll try spinning. That’s a good trick.

This gets my vote. LOL.
After reading about this loot crate mechanic, I'm going to cancel my order now. Can't see myself partaking in such a practice to make progress in the multiplayer portion of the game.

Sami+

CBT? Nah, MBT everyone.

Manchild behavioural therapy. We don't need any of that stupid cognitive behavioural therapy for attempting to aid with gambling addictions.

Dopamine imbalance? Haha, more like DOPE-amine imbalance, am I right?? LOL

*high fives*

Raide

It def sucks that they are turning off peoole with this stuff. Sorry man :(

It's an EA game so I'm sure by January you"'ll be able to get it for $30-40 at least.

Will be on EA Access in 12 months.

Who knows, maybe this loot box outcry will get them to change how they work within the game but who knows.

I showed you three ways how the publisher doesn't get your money, or at least not much over EA Access.

And then you went ahead and had a bit of rant about how gamers are coming up with any excuse not to buy a game.

Ok, so if you don't think Publishers are entitled to gamer's money, then why else are you so invested in gamers buying games they like that it irritates you when people come up with excuses not to buy games?

Or is it just that you don't like that gamers are using YouTube to watch SP campaigns (which I would personally consider a legitimate concern—but not in the case of scummy publishers like EA and what they're doing with BFII)?

Raven77

Since you can use scrap to upgrade the card higher to match that rank, it's not like players will never get them it just means they might have to play more to get it, instead of burning cash early to get them.

Will watch the video now, just for reference.

Okay cool, yeah watch that video and look at their analysis on the money of time taken to gain scrap, it's absolutely crazy and ea will have to adjust it I'm sure.

But then it raises another problem in that everyone seems to get the same amount of credits. In a way this is good as players who spend more money and should naturally do better in matches won't get tons more credits than people who are grinding it out. If they did they would outpace non paying players even faster. On the other hand it seems doing better should result in more credits earned. Idk how I feel.

Or is it just that you don't like that gamers are using YouTube to watch SP campaigns (which I would personally consider a legitimate concern—but not in the case of scummy publishers like EA and what they're doing with BFII)?
I'd say buy the game and play it for yourself to have the full experience or boycott it entirely. Watching it on youtube won't give you the same experience.

Rodelero

To be honest this just isn't true. He does some really lazy maths where he ignores some pretty major facts makes some pretty silly assumptions and then comes out with a shock figure for the sake of shock value. His maths simply do not correspond with the experience people are having in the beta because, simply put, he ignores so much of the model.

To be honest this just isn't true. He does some really lazy maths where he ignores some pretty major facts makes some pretty silly assumptions and then comes out with a shock figure for the sake of shock value. His maths simply do not correspond with the experience people are having in the beta because, simply put, he ignores so much of the model.

Napkin math aside, some players will be genuinely unlucky with unlocks of cards via loot crates though.
I've played the beta about 8-10 hours and still don't have the shield card for the heavy class and it feels vital to playing that class.

Polk

Ok, so even if we slash time 10x, it's still 300 hours. That's fuckton of time.

sjay1994

Who knows, maybe this loot box outcry will get them to change how they work within the game but who knows.

Considering the game is out within a month, I doubt they are going to rethink their method of progression.

Money speaks louder than words do (to corporations at least), and this P2W structure combined with the Star Wars IP is going to take in crazy $$$. They're not going to change shit unless the government has to step in.

royox

Legit question. Isn't this "loot boxes" thing the same thing Valve did with TF2 when they included new weapons and equipment? You could even pay for materials for crafting.

Bunga

This whole loot box craze is kinda worrying. At least in CSGO for example all the unlocks are skins/cosmetics and you don't have to unlock the M4/AK47. Things are getting ridiculous now if this is the way things are going.

Heroman

Banned

This game will sale millions and they will probably make millions off of the loot boxes. They will change nothing.

This game will sale millions and they will probably make millions off of the loot boxes. They will change nothing.
Pretty sure they will change some things so that they can say "look, we listended and improved some stuff". They might tone down some of the more overpowered cards and maybe improve drop-rates or the amount of lootboxes you get for free. But in the end it will still stay a P2W-system.

I'd say buy the game and play it for yourself to have the full experience or boycott it entirely. Watching it on youtube won't give you the same experience.

Tbh, I'm only interested in the SP campaign for the story. So I don't even need the "full experience" since the actual shooter gameplay parts don't interest me that much. I just wanna see the cutscenes and where they go with the story.

If EA wasn't being shits with the pushing a predatory lootbox implementation in this game, I would buy it. Since, they are, YouTube is my friend.

shimon

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsBa...ot_crate_disapproval_spreading_like_wildfire/

Here's a whole load of youtubers and websites showing their distaste with this games loot crate system.

I doubt it will do anything regardless, but who knows....One can hope I guess.

Lots of people in the comments saying all the complaining is annoying and they're still gonna buy the game so they can have fun. Hopefully they're in the minority so EA can get fucked. This game needs to bomb or at least disappoint

LoveCake

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsBa...ot_crate_disapproval_spreading_like_wildfire/

Here's a whole load of youtubers and websites showing their distaste with this games loot crate system.

I doubt it will do anything regardless, but who knows....One can hope I guess.

There are many now seemingly being more positive about the game, from the comments on that sub and also here, I don't know if this is due to the reports that the items in the loot-boxes in the BETA is not representative in the actual game, but can EA/DICE/Criterion be trusted, why have they not come out and categorically stated this and also given examples of the loot-box costs, items contained and crafting requirements?

Shock32

Money speaks louder than words do (to corporations at least), and this P2W structure combined with the Star Wars IP is going to take in crazy $$$. They're not going to change shit unless the government has to step in.

It's a shame to. I really want to get this game but I can't support it's current state.

Edit. I agree above. Hope EA or somebody makes a comment on this.

XandBosch

I'll still be buying this game, but will never spend a cent on a loot crate. That way it'll show them I like Battlefront, but not this.

It's not like people who play and don't pay won't get the loot crates anyway, it just speeds up the process is all.

Raven77

I'll still be buying this game, but will never spend a cent on a loot crate. That way it'll show them I like Battlefront, but not this.

It's not like people who play and don't pay won't get the loot crates anyway, it just speeds up the process is all.

That...won't work. You buying the game sends one message and one message only, that you aren't bothered by the presence of loot boxes enough to not buy the game.

This is why the system will only continue to gradually get worse. They do it slowly, introducing it in more games where it doesn't belong (happening now). Then when the game sells well they push it a little further.

Top Bottom