• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Europa Universalis IV |OT| A Game of Blobs

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
>motherfucking Poland denying my call to arms when the Ottomans attack. The fact I still won that is a genuine miracle, but I'm now 18 loans in debt with 11 war exhaustion. Thankfully, my galleys keep me safe. One day Poland, one day, the Byzantine Empire will dance on your godforsaken grave. Gonna make the Partitions look like a chump's attempt at annexation.

Mr.Mike

So by tag switching from Muscovy to Russia I lost all of my allies. Somehow tag switching suddenly makes all your friends think you are ludicrously far away.

So by tag switching from Muscovy to Russia I lost all of my allies. Somehow tag switching suddenly makes all your friends are ludicrously far away.

That's a bug (it happens to Ireland, Commonwealth, Great Britain, Prussia etc. too). Apparently it's fixed in the beta patch.

>motherfucking Poland denying my call to arms when the Ottomans attack. The fact I still won that is a genuine miracle, but I'm now 18 loans in debt with 11 war exhaustion. Thankfully, my galleys keep me safe. One day Poland, one day, the Byzantine Empire will dance on your godforsaken grave. Gonna make the Partitions look like a chump's attempt at annexation.

Don't forget you can call allies into your wars after 60 days now.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Don't forget you can call allies into your wars after 60 days now.

I'd have had to re-ally Poland, which would have been difficult now our relations are tanked. Suffice to say, they are no longer in a position to ally anyone.

Jhriad

This expansion is pretty damn buggy. Wish I could report some of these bugs to Paradox. Patriot rebels that are trying to rebel away from you now are considered friendly if they're of the same nationality even if they want to rebel to another country. I've had allied troops fall asleep in neutral territory a ton after a war is over and never move again as well.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
i only bought the game about a week ago (with all expansions except art of war), and i just have a quick question about the manpower. i started as england since i thought it would be easy enough to get used to the differences from EUIII, and after a war with burgundy plus a rebel stack because of the war of the roses my manpower went down to like 300, and it is taking forever for my units to heal. i think it said i'm getting about 2 or 3 thousand manpower a year, though it seemed to be even slower than that. is this unavoidable after a costly war and you're pretty much defenseless for a long time, or am i doing something wrong and there's a quicker way to get my armies going again? because one big battle would be enough to pretty much leave me without an army now.

in EUIII i thought that troop supply felt really fast at times, but this feels like the other extreme, so would just like to know is this something i need to take into account from now on or have i just missed something. ledger spying said that france has a manpower of like 300 as well now, since they too attacked burgundy (sure are a fierce bunch, those burgundians), so it would seem like attacking countries after they have been involved in a war is much more of an advantage in IV than III.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
You gain 10% of your maximum manpower per month passively so 10 years to replenish your manpower pool and even more if you're reinforcing an army at the same time. England has abysmal manpower even with all the British isles so i suggest getting your feet wet with something else like France or Ottomans.

Fitz

It depends when you played EUIII, for most of its lifespan manpower wasn't an issue at all, it was only the last patch (just before EUIV release) that brought it in line with the current model. Expected manpower loss in wars is quite variable, wars between great powers will often result in both sides having a depleted pool by the end, leaving them vulnerable, the temporary fix for this is to use mercenaries whilst manpower replenishes.

As I said though, expected manpower loss in wars is variable, fighting in mountains over rivers for pyrrhic victories can see your manpower pool depleted against weak nations, whereas good use of defensive terrain, attrition, not leaving excessive siege stacks, superior army discipline etc can leave you with a full manpower pool after large wars.

Haly

This is a really nice expac. I was a bit burned out on EU4 after Wealth of Nations but Art of War gave me that itch again.

Had a doc's appointment today and I was playing Manchu in my head on the way there and on the way back.

EMT0

Banned
Gonna drop in and say that I am VERY happy with the expansion. And also, that playing as Poland and breaking Muscovy/stealing their niche is glorious.

Haly

Bavaria inherited the Netherlands from Burgandy and became the emperor in my game.

Or does the inheritance go to whomever the current emperor is?

The inheritance is random. I think it chooses between France, the Emperor, and countries with a Royal Marriage with Burgundy.

Kabouter

I thought it was supposed to split the french lands to France, the imperial lands to Austria (or now, the emperor I guess?)

Not always. I'm not sure on the exact factors, but I've seen the Burgundian lands that usually go to the emperor go to Spain for instance, probably a possibility in the event for historicity.

Haly

I've seen Gelre inherit the Netherlandic part.

French cores always go to France though.

Fitz

The French region non-HRE parts always go to France if possible, the rest will go to the Emperor if they've got at least 8 provinces, 6 if it's Austria. Then it does some checks for neighbours, then non-neighbours with royal marriages, then on to Castile/Spain, then it loops back to Emperor-neighbours with marriages-neighbours without, regardless of nation size.
The details are in the FlavorBUR file in the events directory, specifically the immediate section for that event, but you can also see the other parts there such as the event trigger.

Haly

And this is why Fitz is top rated.

That mechanics minutiae.

KorrZ

Hello EU4GAF. Just want to drop in and say that I love this game to death (530 hours played...) it's such a shame that this thread is so small for such a great game -_-

The French region non-HRE parts always go to France if possible, the rest will go to the Emperor if they've got at least 8 provinces, 6 if it's Austria.

The event is even more complicated than that; it's perhaps the most complex script in the entire game. It won't fire unless Burgundy and France are neighbors, neither is the Emperor, etc. Then the inheritance is a tortuous string of conditional statements that you ran through based on royal marriages. There is an amusing end to it all: if Burgundy has no royal marriages, then the Emperor always inherits... but if the Emperor doesn't exist, then a random independent neighbor on continental Europe that is not France is chosen.

Walshicus

Had to abandon an ironman game as Kaffa after Mamluks stomped me. War was going well until the Otomans made peace with them... :(

My ultimate goal is to have a Coptic HRE. Anyone else managed it?

Fitz

Had to abandon an ironman game as Kaffa after Mamluks stomped me. War was going well until the Otomans made peace with them... :(

My ultimate goal is to have a Coptic HRE. Anyone else managed it?

No but that sounds awesome, would love to see a Coptic Europe.

Vassal focus seems to work somewhat, but is a bit glitchy or something. And allies do dumb things like sending 20k men to Lithuania, ignoring the pitched, war-deciding battles that are going on 1 province to their left.

I'm talking about you, Austria.

Vassal focus seems to work somewhat, but is a bit glitchy or something. And allies do dumb things like sending 20k men to Lithuania, ignoring the pitched, war-deciding battles that are going on 1 province to their left.

I'm talking about you, Austria.

Setting vassals to "Aggressive" uses the old vassal AI routines, FYI.

XtremeRampage

Neo Member
Here EU4 is still on version 1.7. After reading some "unwanted" and "broken" stuff came from patch 1.8, I'm unwilling to update it. But then again, I mostly only play single player part of the game, should I just stay with 1.7 at the moment?

fanboi

Banned
Here EU4 is still on version 1.7. After reading some "unwanted" and "broken" stuff came from patch 1.8, I'm unwilling to update it. But then again, I mostly only play single player part of the game, should I just stay with 1.7 at the moment?

Is your avatar from the X series? If so then you have nothing to worry about :p

1.8 is easily one of the best EU4 patches.

XtremeRampage

Neo Member
Ah, I got it.

Well, I'm not about to let my peaceful and prosperous nation descended into anarchy just because my subjects suddenly think they don't have enough autonomy and "freedom" after being "updated" with patch 1.8. I think I'm content with things the way it is.

Shaldome

Started playing again during the long weekend. First game as Brunei which went well and I formed Malaya. Could have been faster and more aggressive all around.

Next was as Hansa which caused me to rage quit, because Denmark used its coalition CB against me and curb stomped me with the other members, because Austria and Russia did not honor there alliance with me.

Now I am into a Poland, soon to be commonwealth, game which goes well so far. I think I will concentrate to the east for now and try to get whats left of Moscovy. Kazan and Novgorod smashed them up quite bad. Let's hope I am not to greedy this time and getting beaten up by a coalition.

I dunno why but I just can't get a game off of its feet when trying to play France. I always end up at either super long consecutive wars or people ganging up on me at once. Maybe I'm just incompetent at this game. -_-

Didn't help that I rolled nothing but shitty generals, got like 20 -1 stab drop events (like, those where you can either choose -1 stability or -1 stability, including 3 meteors), and 3 wars happening on me at once - first a coalition of Austria, Castile, Venice (which fired over me vassalizing Naples, and nothing else), followed by Burgundy once the coalition mopped up most of my alliance's troops, and then Savoy had the gall to DoW me too just to add insult to injury. I never was able to recover from that, they took like half of my territory and made me end all of my vassalizations. Kinda given up on that game... :/

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I dunno why but I just can't get a game off of its feet when trying to play France. I always end up at either super long consecutive wars or people ganging up on me at once. Maybe I'm just incompetent at this game. -_-

Didn't help that I rolled nothing but shitty generals, got like 20 -1 stab drop events (like, those where you can either choose -1 stability or -1 stability, including 3 meteors), and 3 wars happening on me at once - first a coalition of Austria, Castile, Venice (which fired over me vassalizing Naples, and nothing else), followed by Burgundy once the coalition mopped up most of my alliance's troops, and then Savoy had the gall to DoW me too just to add insult to injury. I never was able to recover from that, they took like half of my territory and made me end all of my vassalizations. Kinda given up on that game... :/

Maybe you can get a chance to set things right with France in the upcoming MP session :D

Haly

Got crushed by Ottos as Ethiopia. Tried to do some scorch trickery by forcing him to siege with high attrition but he was still sitting at a comfortable 48k troops to my paltry 20k.

Maaaan, how does DDRJake do it.

Messedup a key engagement when I lured one of his bigger stacks into some mercs sitting on mountain + rivers but I accidentally gave my stack an additional command so it went into retreat.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I'm really stuck with the Granada Ironman game (trying to get the Re-Reconquista). I just can't survive the early years, as Tunis and Morocco are no help against Castille, the Ottomans are too far to care and I can't really ally any of the rivals of Castille.

(again, I think it's really shit that you just can't have as rival someone who both historically and logically is your rival - like Castille is for Granada - I think this is the only change I hate in the latest patches)

There's 2 strategies you can attempt for Re-Reconquista.

Strategy 1: Restart the game until you get a Dip Rep advisor and try to ally France or Portugal/Aragon, and hope they don't ally England or France yourself (though if you are allied to France and don't declare on Castile yourself, they'll come in on your side). This will take a lot of patience.

Strategy 2: Exodus, i.e. try to establish a power-base in an area where you won't be bothered for a while. You can try to conquer an OPM in a European region (e.g. Ragusa, the Knights or even an Irish OPM though I don't recommend that) and then begin to establish yourself as regional power while completely ignoring your Iberian homelands and let them get taken. If you take Ragusa/Knights, you'll possibly end up at odds with the Ottomans, which is probably something you'll want to avoid, but the Balkans, Southern Italy (don't get involved with the HRE!), the Caucasus or even Arabia or Eastern Africa (think Ethiopia) are good places to build yourself up to strength until you can take on the Iberian triplets.
Also, France and Austria will likely at some point be at odds with at least one of the Iberians. Always keep that in mind and try to not upset them.

Top Bottom