• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

european repair company halts repairs of 360s. says problem is endemic

WTFing

Banned
vdo said:
I think Microsoft has seen they have been able to get by with whatever flaws the 360 has for this long and so are hoping to get by a little longer until they get their 65nm hardware redesign out. At that point any old systems coming in could be replaced by 65nm hardware. If they do that, then they won't have to face replacing the entire 360 hardware base as with a recall, they would still just be replacing only actual failed consoles as they are doing now and thus would still never have to admit there was ever any significant problem and therefore avoid the negative press admitting to a wide problem could generate.

They just need to be able to contain this until they get to that point. Once they got to that point, with people receiving 65nm versions when their console breaks (this is assuming no new problems with the redesign), then a lot of this will be forgotten. One thing Microsoft has on their side is that this is an industry where a large base of the customers are wanting them to do well in order to be able to play the games they have already invested in and also continue to have good games developed for in the future. Because of that, Microsoft can get away with more with their userbase than other companies can in other industries, but they can only push that so far. They must have some sort of a plan to address this that they will be implementing in the next few months. There is no way they are just going to continue with things as they are - I am thinking they are pouring everything into their 65nm redesign and that will be the answer to a lot of the problems.
you mean that today MS are switching shitty consoles between us, and when 65nm+motherboard redesign they'll send me a brand new one with all this improvements and for free ? wake up man, the only thing MS is waiting is 'YOUR WARRANTY HAS EXPIRED, SORRY' then you'll have to pay for repair.

Yagharek

vdo said:
I guess that's what I was assuming - an entire system redesign to go around that.

I think you have a good point, vdo. Replace "65nm" in your original post with "redesigned model that addresses known flaws" and it's exactly what I would expect them to do, if anything.

Units that are defective will get replaced (probably still with the standard out of warranty repair fee) with the new model, and ones that work will remain in the hands of the luckier owners.

A silent recall will be much better for them PR wise than a mass recall/class action lawsuit/admission of fault.

When this happens will probably only be retrospectively determined once hacker groups start to disassemble them and notice things are different.

Mr_Moogle

All of this makes me wonder how these problems got past Microsofts product testing in the first place. I would have thought they would have put the design through rigorous testing before releasing it into the market. Apparantly not.

Either they knew of the problems and launched it anyway....or their product testers are mentally retarded.

Bildi

Draft said:
Makes no sense. An incredibly popular system with an incredibly common overheating error that has an incredibly easy repair... it's money in the goddamn BANK for a console repair shop. WHY would you turn that business away?
I'm not sure if anyone answered this but I imagine the reason they are turning them away is because they offer a 3 month warranty on their repairs, but when a console has a design flaw the quality of their repairs is irrelevant. So possibly they were getting back too many consoles within the 3 month period and it was costing them a fortune.

FightyF

Banned
cjelly said:
Never in a million years is Microsoft going to come out and say 'Hey, guys, we screwed up. The 11 million consoles we've sold so far are ticking time bombs, we're recalling every single one.' It'd be the biggest PR disaster ever.

More than likely a fix will quietly be implemented over the next few months/years/decades/centuries/millenia.

The issue is...WHEN is MS going to address it (even if they did address it discreetly)?

The console launched in late 2005...why didn't they fix things for Fall 2006? They should have taken failures seriously, but they didn't and they still didn't for the longest time.

It looks like that recently repaired 360s include a different cooling solution, but it's hard to tell at this point if it will solve the issue.

But for them to take so long to do it, coupled with the fact that they were repeatedly denying an issue in the first place...just tells me that they don't care and well, they'll reap what they sow.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
OniShiro said:
The problem is even if microsoft does a recall they have no clue how to fix the problem as they've proved, it's a design flaw in the console, and the only solution build be to redesign the motherboard, heatsinks and overall cooling of the console, and that is a lot of money.
Is this true? Nothing can be done to improve the life-expectancy of 360s?

vdo

Bugnology said:
you mean that today MS are switching shitty consoles between us, and when 65nm+motherboard redesign they'll send me a brand new one with all this improvements and for free ? wake up man, the only thing MS is waiting is 'YOUR WARRANTY HAS EXPIRED, SORRY' then you'll have to pay for repair.

I didn't say for free. What didn't come across in my post, RandomVince said much better:

RandomVince said:
...Units that are defective will get replaced (probably still with the standard out of warranty repair fee) with the new model, and ones that work will remain in the hands of the luckier owners...

shpankey

not an idiot
ThirdEye said:
Why no one starts a class action? At this time it appears anyone can win a free 360.
that's a good question.

is this a difficult thing to begin or can just anyone go down to a law office and start the proceedings? if not, how does one go about starting a class-action lawsuit?

Slavik81

Mr_Moogle said:
All of this makes me wonder how these problems got past Microsofts product testing in the first place. I would have thought they would have put the design through rigorous testing before releasing it into the market. Apparantly not.

Either they knew of the problems and launched it anyway....or their product testers are mentally retarded.

I think I have the explanation you're looking for: The 360 began manufacturing only 69 days before its worldwide launch.

I wish it didn't have to be like this.

WTFing

Banned
vdo said:
I didn't say for free. What didn't come across in my post, RandomVince said much better:
ok, so i'll have to pay even if my 360 is under warranty to get a working one ? or maybe there will be 2 different 360 population, the ones who don't pay and stay in the 360 shitstorm and the good boys who pay get the magical 65nm ?
MS IS WAITING FOR YOUR CONSOLE TO DIE OUT OF WARRANTY.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Fight for Freeform said:
No, that's not true. Even existing 360s can have fixes that will fix the problem permanently.
Oh, ok. :|

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
If gamers allow this to go on for a $400 console, for years, imagine how much gamers are willing to be screwed over with overpriced downloadable content, hasty releases of unfinished games and cheap ports.

All of those 360's were sent in by the "vocal minority." Yeah, Microsoft, how are you going to spin this one? I thought all of the 3 rings of death were being reported by the "vocal minority" and the system really doesn't have severe problems?

This story, being posted the DAY AFTER the 1up story about the kid on like his 12th 360, have to be absolutely killing Microsoft's PR Dept.

Gahiggidy

What happens when all 4 lights go red?

3rdamention said:
All of those 360's were sent in by the "vocal minority." Yeah, Microsoft, how are you going to spin this one? I thought all of the 3 rings of death were being reported by the "vocal minority" and the system really doesn't have severe problems?

This story, being posted the DAY AFTER the 1up story about the kid on like his 12th 360, have to be absolutely killing Microsoft's PR Dept.

It would, if gaming and mainstream news media gave a damn. As it is, it doesn't seem like MS PR is getting the work out it deserves.

Razoric

Banned
Gahiggidy said:

earth_explode.jpg

mj1108

Gahiggidy said:

It means you win.

But seriously, this is just crazy. Because of how tightlipped and arrogant MS is being about this whole situation, I'd just LOVE to see a system RLOD at their E3 press conference, if only to teach them a lesson and tell them to fix this shit now.

Wildstar75 said:
I guess I got lucky with my launch US unit. Works like a charm!
I have a launch unit and an Elite. Never had any problems.

I secretly kinda wish something would happen to one of them though, so I could join the bitchfest. I'm feeling left out. :lol

Duke Togo

I guess I missed this thread. I wonder how long it will take Microsoft to actually admit there is a problem. This company halting the 3 red light repairs is something of an eye opener.

Bildi

Surfheart said:
Any consoles Microsoft have at E3 will have had the X-Clamp removal mod performed on them.
:lol I wouldn't be surprised. I mean, would they really risk 3RLD in such an event?

justjohn

methane47 said:
I love how the popular gaming blogs have yet to pick up on the 1500,2500 news or this one..

but 2 hours before the ps3 launched in Pal territories the blogs were blazing ahead with How bad the launch was...

Just interesting to note.
yep i just checked kotaku and ******* to see if any of them talked about it. but nothing.
rest assured if this was ps3 it would have been there long time ago with a 1000plus comments of pure asshatery :lol

polyh3dron said:
The good ol' Major will do what he has done from the start and not address it at ALL.

Agreed. At first I really liked the Major Nelson shows, but his inability to address any serious Xbox-related problem has turned me off. Hardware failures, DRM isssues on replacement consoles, child-account (MSN) issues, etc. Not a word from Major Nelson.

sakuragi

Banned
If this were to happen to Sony it would be all over the media and would spread like a plague. But unfortunately money talks.

Pug

It’s hilarious now. The CS number for the 360 in the UK now has the message whilst holding "If you have a console in for repair please note that this will take up to 25 working days to complete. Please note we are trying hard to reduce this time to 15 working days by the end of July". Basically then be prepared to wait over a month for your console if not longer. This message only seems to have gone up today. Maybe all the stuff that’s been posted on the net in the last couple of days is having an affect. So a least another 2 weeks for me without the bloody thing.

hadareud

The Translator
Pug said:
It’s hilarious now. The CS number for the 360 in the UK now has the message whilst holding "If you have a console in for repair please note that this will take up to 25 working days to complete. Please note we are trying hard to reduce this time to 15 working days by the end of July".

oh for ****s sake. I was hoping to have mine back this weekend :(

When I sent my Xbox in to UK repair earlier this year (around January I think) it took about 3 days to come back to me. If it's gone up to 25 days since then...well, holy shit.

Would suggest not bothering with MS support in the UK if your 360 dies. Simply go to a local Tesco or Asda and swap it out for a new one.

Top Bottom