• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ever met a celebrity and were dissapointed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hokahey

Ah yes, I forgot we're westerners... money is the solution to every problem around these parts, right?

I get what you're saying, and yes... they SHOULD be nice to people (after all, if it weren't for their fans, they would be nobodies), I'm simply saying that they are under no obligation to do so, and if they choose to be asses (like many do), we shouldn't let it influence our professional opinion of them. Am I happy that Atkinson is consistently a self entitled jerk every time I have to deal with him at work (I work part time as a concierge in a cinema in Hampstead, London, an area that's packed with artists and celebrities)? No. But neither does it have any influence on what I think of the man.
On the other hand, it is always nice when Hayley Atwell or Sacha Baron Cohen drop by as I always have a laugh with them (she's a massive flirt, sue me for liking it). But that doesn't make them better people than Atkinson, they're just different.

This is absolutely ludicrous. Celebrity or not, we should be nice when someone says hello to us. This is just being a decent human being. And no, they're under no obligation to do so. But to suggest you shouldn't view their work differently is a little naive. Hell, if someone is a dick at work I appreciate their contributions less. The same should apply to everyone. If you're a dick, it absolutely affects how people see your work.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Tony Gwynn. He had a great public image but he turned out to be one of the biggest assholes I've met.
Did this thread get merged with another one about meeting celebrities in general?

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
I met Billy West from Futurama. Super nice guy - he did Zoidberg for me, talked about how he got into doing voices and his band for a bit. Gave me an autograph, couldn't have been happier.

I met Kyrie Iriving at a shoe store in Las Vegas once, really quiet guy but he seemed pretty nice. Wish I took a picture but I felt embarrassed to ask because of my laker t shirt lol.

I saw Ryan Gosling at a grocery store in Los Angeles yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.

He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?”

I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.

The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.

When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.

A_Gorilla

Banned
Met Adam Sessler at Sony's E3 2008 conference before the show. I started walking up to him (was always a big fan of X-Play). He took one look at me, glared, turned and walked away.

Glad he got chased out of the gaming business for his bullshit. Fuck that guy.

My mom used to be a flight attendant, so she's met quite a few celebrities over the years. I think one of the firsts that she met was the entire Black Sabbath band. She said they were nice, but rowdy and hit on her.

She said that Ashley Judd and Denzel Washington were pretty rude and overall not pleasant. They could have just been having a bad day of course. She said Denzel made a big fuss about having to sit beside someone because he was supposed to be sitting by himself. The passenger sitting beside him looked over at him and said, "Sir, as far as I'm concerned, you are alone!"

She had Beast Master, Marc Singer, on a flight as well and said he was definitely one of the nicest, most gracious celebrities she's met. I've met him as well, and had the exact same impression. Seemed like a genuinely nice guy.

I saw Ryan Gosling at a grocery store in Los Angeles yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.

I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.

The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.

When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.

that sounds awful

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Met Adam Sessler at Sony's E3 2008 conference before the show. I started walking up to him (was always a big fan of X-Play). He took one look at me, glared, turned and walked away.

Glad he got chased out of the gaming business for his bullshit. Fuck that guy.

Does not surprise me in the least. He always seemed like a self-important jerk.

scamander

Banned

The real story here is, that no one thought about pressing "x15" on the keyboard/ touch display.

Oh you

hf4bBan.gif

Nice copy pasta.
I always prefer it when it's the guy from Man v. Food

I've only really met one person I think would be considered a 'celebrity'. And I wouldn't say I was disappointed upon meeting him. However I grew to be disappointed in this person many, many years later. The person I'm speaking of is Ted Nugent. I grew up in Michigan in a family of hunters, and shot competitive archery. So as a kid it was cool getting to meet the Nuge on several instances (I met him three separate times). I even had his signature on a couple of my childhood bows. But as I grew older, and Ted decided to be more political, I noticed how insane he was. I don't even really care about the things he signed anymore. I just ended up giving them to my father to be put in his collection of stuff.

Fury451

Banned
Yes, how dare we expect people to be at least vaguely polite/not dickheads.

You have to consider what a celebrity may go through daily- especially when they're on a popular show. Recognition and hassle would get old, even when you're trying to be nice to fans. Especially when you've got stuff to do and may be in your own head, just living life. And meeting them at conventions or other events event they're doing promos and interviews all day has to be exhausting.

Some folks just don't have realistic expectations; not everyone is a happy go lucky extrovert who can maintain friendly and polite demeanors all day- especially actors who tend to be introverted a lot of the times.

But then some are just insufferable because they're unpleasant people too.

Z..

*claims he's a "a very nice persons*

*proceeds to berate everyone here for not agreeing with him.*

I am nice. I'm just one of those people who's a bit of a blunt asshole online. ^^

edit: also, it's not a matter of agreeing with me or not, I'm inviting people to explain to me what entitles us to expect anything at all from strangers.

This is absolutely ludicrous. Celebrity or not, we should be nice when someone says hello to us. This is just being a decent human being. And no, they're under no obligation to do so. But to suggest you shouldn't view their work differently is a little naive. Hell, if someone is a dick at work I appreciate their contributions less. The same should apply to everyone. If you're a dick, it absolutely affects how people see your work.

Ok. Why? The work, anyone's work, should stand on it's own. When one is an actor, the only part of one's life that should be of any concern to the public is one's professional output. Everything else is incosequential and therefore should remain personal and irrelevant in the grand scheme of things, no?

I hate Bjork has a human being, at least from what I've seen of her in interviews and such. She's still one of my favourite musicians and her obnoxiousness detracts NOTHING from how great Homogenic, Vespertine and Medúlla are. Why should these works be any less valid musically because of completely unrelated facts about the author's disposition?

Why does it make a difference to you? Why do you care.

Here's a more extreme example... is this painting any less of an accomplishment because of what his author went on to do?

hitler-painting.jpg

Euron

I've always gotten the feeling that Peter Dinklege is a bit of a self important knob.

Maybe he was having an off day.
From what I've seen of Peter Dinklege, if you fawn over him, he'll probably either be a dick to you or just cold and unresponsive.

The most common issue I've seen is people telling him how much he deserves an Emmy or how he's the best actor on TV. He probably hears it all the time and is just sick of it. Oh and I can't find any links but I have heard of some encounters with him where people have dropped the "dwarf" line and wondered why he was a dick to them. Should be self-explanatory.

Or maybe he is just a dick.

Paul Giamatti. Maybe it was because it was 1 in the morning at a party, maybe he had been working all day, but he was an asshole.

Nicest actor I`ve met is Jamie Hector (Marlo Stanfield from The Wire). The total opposite of what I expected - a very soft-spoken and polite man, despite the entourage of security.

Now that I got ya'lls attention I will give my story of one celebrity I have met, and it was the opposite of disappointment.

I posted it in another celebrity thread we had but I forget where it is but I met Bill Paxton once and I didn't even know I was going to meet him. I was working for a while for a wealthy guy doing odd jobs and he owns this really nice Restaurant. He asked me if I would dj a private party for him and I was like sure, so I go and set up and chilled for a bit. I see some people coming up to the door and it was dark out so I could kinda make them out. I open the door and I see my Boss/friend and he is with another person I can barely make him out and he is like "Carpe, I want to introduce you to a dear friend of mine, Bill Paxton" and it hit me like a ton of bricks, so I just kinda shake his hand and mumbled some pleasantry and walk to the back. I am like shaking, not because I am huge Bill Paxton fan but because it was surreal as fuck. I'm just trying to regain my composure in the back, shaking and setting up some things. I think there were some screenwriters there too. Anyway I get myself together and start playing music. I let the music on autopilot and hangout with everyone, man that Bill Paxton was one of the coolest, smartest people I have ever met. We all hung out talking about philosophy and film. At one point I was chilling with one of his sons and we were playing hip hop and he introduced me to Nujabes which I quite liked. I was tempted to play that "game over man! Game over!" Snip but that would have made me a jackass and ruined the night haha.

Now that I got ya'lls attention I will give my story of one celebrity I have met, and it was the opposite of disappointment.

I posted it in another celebrity thread we had but I forget where it is but I met Bill Paxton once and I didn't even know I was going to meet him. I was working for a while for a wealthy guy doing odd jobs and he owns this really nice Restaurant. He asked me if I would dj a private party for him and I was like sure, so I go and set up and chilled for a bit. I see some people coming up to the door and it was dark out so I could kinda make them out. I open the door and I see my Boss/friend and he is with another person I can barely make him out and he is like "Carpe, I want to introduce you to a dear friend of mine, Bill Paxton" and it hit me like a ton of bricks, so I just kinda shake his hand and mumbled some pleasantry and walk to the back. I am like shaking, not because I am huge Bill Paxton fan but because it was surreal as fuck. I'm just trying to regain my composure in the back, shaking and setting up some things. I think there were some screenwriters there too. Anyway I get myself together and start playing music. I let the music on autopilot and hangout with everyone, man that Bill Paxton was one of the coolest, smartest people I have ever met. We all hung out talking about philosophy and film. At one point I was chilling with one of his sons and we were playing hip hop and he introduced me to Nujabes which I quite liked. I was tempted to play that "game over man! Game over!" Snip but that would have made me a jackass and ruined the night haha.

People always associate Bill with Aliens. I associate him with Twister forever and ever.

I met Sam Neill (Dr Grant from Jurassic Park) when I was a bit younger and he was a very nice and friendly person.

Awww I'm so jealous! I love Sam Neill <3 I had a bit of a crush on him when I was younger (being about the same age as the girl in JP when it came out fueled that a bit). It makes me happy he's a nice guy :)

hokahey

I am nice. I'm just one of those people who's a bit of a blunt asshole online. ^^

edit: also, it's not a matter of agreeing with me or not, I'm inviting people to explain to me what entitles us to expect anything at all from strangers.

Ok. Why? The work, anyone's work, should stand on it's own. When one is an actor, the only part of one's life that should be of any concern to the public is one's professional output. Everything else is incosequential and therefore should remain personal and irrelevant in the grand scheme of things, no?

I hate Bjork has a human being, at least from what I've seen of her in interviews and such. She's still one of my favourite musicians and her obnoxiousness detracts NOTHING from how great Homogenic, Vespertine and Medúlla are. Why should these works be any less valid musically because of completely unrelated facts about the author's disposition?

Why does it make a difference to you? Why do you care.

Here's a more extreme example... is this painting any less of an accomplishment because of what his author went on to do?

hitler-painting.jpg

You seem to be missing a basic concept of human emotion. It doesn't make the work less valid, but for most humans, the knowledge (or especially personal experience) of someone being a dick makes you dislike them and things associated with them. Not always, but generally. We tend to root against bad people. It's odd even having to explain this.

Tagyhag

My friend and his sister are those people who find out where celebrities are and get selfies with them. Apparently, they guy who plays Jimmy King in Ready to Rumble (I forget his name and don't know what else he's in) wouldn't take a picture with them and, thus, a piece of shit.

This is why I wouldn't be a good actress. I'm already introverted and I'd be nice to people but I'd have to force myself to be extra giddy and take pictures (which I absolutely hate to do) because otherwise people will just shit on me.

Imagine having to do that 20 times or more a day, uggghhhhhh.

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
Met Tim Heidecker from Tim and Eric after their tour in 2009 at an after party. He was a complete asshole. Just sat at the bar drinking ignoring everyone. He told people to fuck off when they asked for his picture.

Eric on the other hand was amazing. He chilled with the crowd, bought people shots and took pictures. It almost felt like it was a skit from the show...

This is why I wouldn't be a good actress. I'm already introverted and I'd be nice to people but I'd have to force myself to be extra giddy and take pictures (which I absolutely hate to do) because otherwise people will just shit on me.

Imagine having to do that 20 times or more a day, uggghhhhhh.
I'd just do a silly face every picture and make that my "thing".

I saw Ryan Gosling at a grocery store in Los Angeles yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn&#8217;t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.

He said, &#8220;Oh, like you&#8217;re doing now?&#8221;

I was taken aback, and all I could say was &#8220;Huh?&#8221; but he kept cutting me off and going &#8220;huh? huh? huh?&#8221; and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.

The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like &#8220;Sir, you need to pay for those first.&#8221; At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.

When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually &#8220;to prevent any electrical infetterence,&#8221; and then turned around and winked at me. I don&#8217;t even think that&#8217;s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.

Does this story change every time?

Anyways, I guess I have had really good luck with celebrities.

Bruce Campbell at a book signing: Really nice and actually took the time to talk to me even though he had a huge line of people to sign for. Same for the second book signing I went to.

Kevin Smith: He interviewed me and he was a lot of fun so it was a good experience.

Jason Mewes: Offered to pick us up coffee while we were doing the interview. I always though that was a nice gesture for someone he didn't even know.

Hayden Christensen: I was an extra on the film Jumper and was pulled aside by some AD to work a scene with him alone. We didn't spend much time together but he shook my hand and was polite.

As for Athletes:

I recall Ken Girffey Jr. Standing outside the Skydome signing autographs. Literally just standing on the street signing people's shit.

A lot of the Blue Jays' players would stop their cars after the game for those waiting by the garage waiting for autographs. This was during the 92/93 years.

I will always remember CM Punk shaking the hand of everyone around the ring after the end of a RAW in Toronto from a couple of years back. I watched as he took the time to greet everyone.

Nope, can't think of a bad one.

thomaser

Miyamoto is very friendly, and willingly poses for pictures, autographs things and so on.

A month ago, Kristoffer Hivju from GoT came into my store and bought something. He was very friendly too.

So I guess I haven't really been disappointed by a celebrity, sorry.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Met Tim Heidecker from Tim and Eric after their tour in 2009 at an after party. He was a complete asshole. Just sat at the bar drinking ignoring everyone. He told people to fuck off when they asked for his picture.

Eric on the other hand was amazing. He chilled with the crowd, bought people shots and took pictures. It almost felt like it was a skit from the show...

I've heard that it is intentional on Tim's part, yeah. He's always in character as an asshole in public.

Met Johnny Depp in a hotel in france when i was younger.

That sounds weird.

Context. On holiday in Paris, parents were checking in @ hotel, I ran off and bumped into him. I think this was still before the first Pirates movie came out, can't really remember it that well. He was walking with a few other people, maybe security etc or whatever, I can't really remember/don't really know.

He was kinda cool, just patted me on the head and said "hi" and walked past. I went back to my parents and a few minutes later he walked by again, out the front door and my mum went "That's Johnny Depp"...tbh it wasn't until I saw Pirates 1 i really knew who he was. Or maybe that Chocolat film. Or Edward Scissorhands.

Z..

You seem to be missing a basic concept of human emotion. It doesn't make the work less valid, but for most humans, the knowledge (or especially personal experience) of someone being a dick makes you dislike them and things associated with them. Not always, but generally. We tend to root against bad people. It's odd even having to explain this.

I'm not questioning anything of what you've said as it's true for everyone, but why would you voluntarily take a biased stance towards someone's work if you know there is no logic to it? Do you just give in to your emotions every time they contradict logic?

Also "bad people" is a bit much considering what we're talking about (apart from Hitler, of course). We are all just downright evil, impartially... even if we like to paint ourselves as innocent bystanders inside our minds, is being nicer really gonna make us any better than anyone else considering how fucked up the status quo that we enable is? This insistence on niceness seems more like collective procrastinating on our part than anything else. Not that it doesn't matter, but it seems like we're focusing on the tiniest inconveniences instead of attempting to solve actual problems that we're a part of.

It's awesome to hear stories of celebrities being super cool people, but I do think we should give them the benefit of the doubt about being jerks sometimes. Every nice person has had situations where they were having a crappy day or for some other reason had a one-off interaction where they came off like a jerk. The only difference for most of us is that no one will care or remember.

Tom_Cody

I get to go to the BAFTA's and IFTA's for the last 5 years so I've bumped into a few celebs. Have never met any really mean or bitchy celebs, unless you include people who work in Irish TV (but I don't count them). Though the weirdest/surrealist meeting would have been with Woody Allen, really nice guy, but super shy. didn't really want to chat about his films, but I mentioned that I had seen him in concert the last time I was in NYC and he smiled and said thanks.

Nicest:

Michael Fassbender - loves Guinness, nicest actor I've ever met. Have met up with him a good few times since in both London and Dublin.
Saorise Ronan - really down to earth and super nice
Jack Nicholson - personification of cool
Jennifer Lawerence - really nice
George Clooney - very nice and chatty about his films, even the bad ones.
Mark Kermode - chatted with him about his BBC Radio 5Live show and his latest book
Nigel Floyd - really nice guy, super knowledgeable about films
Paul Thomas Anderson - Kept to himself, but was nice when I said "hi" to him
Danial Day Lewis - very shy guy, very tall too. but very pleasent.
Hugh Jackman - really nice and chatted to everyone
Christoper Nolan - nice guy to talk to in general but when he talks about film he came across more intense.
Robin Wiliams - chatted more about games then his movies, was saying he was looking forward to BF3
James Cameron - said hi and we fist bumped, told him he was still "king of the world" (Avatar had just came out) and he smiled
Kathryn Bigalow - very nice lady
Russell Crowe - very cool dude, spent about 30 mins talking about Munster taking on the All Blacks in rugby and how he wanted to go the game in Limerick, but didn't know if his schedule would allow him.
Stephen Fry - he's exactly how you think he would be.

I don't usually take pics, but I do have a few on my PC.
Very cool!

That sounds extremely intentional.

I used to work at a cafe and Andi Peters once came in. I spat in his coffee before serving him and he had the temerity to have a go at me!

Honestly, these celebs. Who do they think they are?!

Darren870

I met Billy West from Futurama. Super nice guy - he did Zoidberg for me, talked about how he got into doing voices and his band for a bit. Gave me an autograph, couldn't have been happier.

You mean Billy West from Ren & Stimpy, or the Howard Stern show.

Sheesh....Kids these days.

BFIB

Tony Gwynn. He had a great public image but he turned out to be one of the biggest assholes I've met.
Did this thread get merged with another one about meeting celebrities in general?

Yep, his whole demeanor.

Used to collect baseball cards, since I'm a baseball nut. Waited for him outside the hotel by Busch Stadium hoping to get an autograph.

He came out, and walked right past myself and a couple of others. So he goes, has his breakfast, which is understandable. Then he comes back out, and there is a father with his son. The father asks if he can sign his sons baseball, Gwynn looks back almost in disgust and says "I've signed enough today."

So I yelled "Thanks a lot Gwynn, here's hoping you don't get your 3,000th today at Busch in front of 40,0000, but tomorrow in Montreal in front of 3,000."

He just turned around and said "I guess we'll see." Went 0-4 and got it in Montreal.

Doesn't compare to Pauly Shore though. Dudes a dick.

I met Paul Brittany once and he's as awesome as you'd think he is, or I just caught him on a good day. Either way, he was great. We talked for a couple minutes about Legion of all movies. He seemed surprised to find someone who had watched it.

A friend met Richard Blackwood a couple of times, said he's a great guy and always happy to meet and chat with fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom