• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ever met a celebrity and were dissapointed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yogloo

I met Roger Moore once with a bunch of his Family. So kind and graceful.
Dude. Lucky bastard. The guy obviously oozes class. Much respect.a big fan here.

I got an autograph from Sean Astin (Sam from LOTR} at a convention, but he seemed overall uninterested in talking to me whatsoever.

This was particularly weird since he chatted up a storm with the guy before me, and it's not like he was tired at that point because he just got there and I was the 3rd guy in line.
Ok.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Paul Thomas Anderson - Kept to himself, but was nice when I said "hi" to him
Yup, that's PTA alright.

4a4838cce699443cceff3af427ab7059.gif

Risible

The only famous person I ever spent any more time with beyond "Hey, how ya doin'?" was Tom Savini. I was at a horror convention back in the early 90s and was walking along and he came up to me and asked about a huge-ass Suspiria poster I was carrying and where I got it. I told him and then he proceeded to talk to me for like ten minutes about giallo and other horror stuff. I didn't want to be "that guy" and suck up all his time but it was all him, he just really was a horror buff and wanted to talk to other buffs about it. Super cool dude.

I had gone to the con with my then-girlfriend now-wife who was not into any of it, and after he left she said "Jesus that dude talked your ear off." She had no idea he was famous and was astonished to find out who he was and was genuinely impressed with how down to earth he was.

<3 Tom Savini :)

Met Brandon Boyd and everyone in 311. Brandon before anyone knew who incubus really was. They were all very friendly and personable. Same with Gabriel Iglesius.

Brandon was after a small show in Columbus in 98. He came out and chatted with us all that stuck around for an hour or so.

Henrik Normann: Met him at a super-late hour, must've been 9:30-10:30PM, was very composed, quiet and polite.
Jan.E.Uuspõld: Was trying to keep a low profile so I couldn't really say anything about his character, definitely seemed more stressed than the personality on TV.

Henrik Normann is a weirdo. I was eating chicken wings at a local bar with a friend and he was fucking leering at me entire time, looking hella drunk. Not that I particularly liked him anyway.

Jan is a relative, he's chill.

I've also met Dan Põldroos, Mait Malmsten, Andrus Vaarik and Ita Ever, possibly more.

Basically everyone's been very nice aside from Normann.

I met Danny McBride while he was filming Eastbound & Down in Wilmington. They were setting up a scene while I was trying to finish my lunch and Danny was chatting with either the director or script writer over in a booth a few feet away.

I dumped my trash and walked over with my brother and just told him I was a huge fan of his and really enjoyed his humor. I introduced my brother, told Danny this was the first time my brother had ever met a celebrity and he said, "Well, I'm glad to have popped his cherry."

Got a quick picture with him too:

SOgdN8L.jpg

I also met Lee Norris (Minkus from Boy Meets World, dude from One Tree Hill) at a bar in Wilmington one time. Quickly went up to him half drunk, told him I liked him better as Minkus, and shook his hand. Dude was with 3 women at the time. Was very pleasant and courteous during the quick exchange.

Vade

I met Phil Dalhausser the beach volleyball gold medalist before. I thought I was a big guy at 6'3'' and then meeting him and seeing he was at least 6'9'' it was oh damn. He was a pretty chill guy to talk to though.

Robert Englund, such a great personality, loves the fans. He takes the time to talk to everyone and hes so full of energy at all times it feels. He's been at center of attention for Freddy for years, and he loves it and the fans.

Danny Trejo, also met him, guy is just so friendly and loving of his fans.

Griss

Met Sandra Bullock around 15 years ago, by a pool and then later at a restaurant. She was charming, everyone at the hotel she was staying at was raving about her too. Had that gift of being able to be 'just another person', you know? Seemed really low maintenance. Did have a bodyguard, though. And at the restaurant that night she was laughing and joking throughout even as a bunch of random people came up to say hi to her.

Just really impressed.

Gragen

About 15 years ago I was at a WCW promotion that the 4 horseman were providing pictures and autographs. I stood in line for about a half hour and right before my turn Rick Flair farted and told Arn Anderson he had to shit. It was funny so I wasn't pissed about not getting the Nature Boys autograph.

TheMan

As someone who's short, it always bugs me when people shit on celebrities just because they're short. I mean, how is that is any way their fault? How does that make them an asshole or a shitty actor? Fuck everyone in this thread who called out celebs for being short.

ahoyle77

All of mine are sports related:

Larry Johnson (NBA)- Awesome guy. Loud and friendly. I've read he is one of the best ever locker room guys as well.

Muggsy Bogues/Dell Curry: Great guys. Very Friendly and respectful.

Alonzo Mourning: Quiet and polite. Smacked my friend in the head accidentally in the movie theater and quickly apologized.

Charles Johnson (DE- Panthers) - Met before big contract and before starting. Seemed humble and hungry. Very nice and seemed kinda shy.

Rick Flair, Chris Benoit, Arn Anderson- All seemed like awful human beings. I've met Flair numerous times and always came across as a self important asshole.

Magnum TA- Met many times. Great guy. Was in rough shape after career obviously.

RangerX

Banned
I met Alex Webster after a cannibal corpse gig and he was a super cool dude. He had no problem having a pint and talking to fans.

As someone who's short, it always bugs me when people shit on celebrities just because they're short. I mean, how is that is any way their fault? How does that make them an asshole or a shitty actor? Fuck everyone in this thread who called out celebs for being short.

Speaking of short, I ran into Danny DeVito at an In N Out by my highschool once. It was getting dark and this was before I realized I needed to get glasses, and my friend nudged me to look closer at this dark short figure in front of me. I couldn't see very well, so I kind of leaned over and squinted my eyes to get a clearer view. Next thing I notice is Danny mocking me by leaning over and squinting back at me. I just jumped back and yelled 'Holy shit!'

He was a really cool, friendly guy, he was taking his kids/nephews out to Lalapalooza I think. Asked him who he was looking forward to seeing and he said he liked Jane's Addiction.

sflufan

Banned
A friend of mine once worked at a country club in Palm Beach, FL and Sean Connery was having lunch there and had to get to the airport to catch a flight, but for some reason the car had to be back at the country club for Sean's wife.

So my friend drove Sean Connery in Sean Connery's car (a rather ordinary sedan) to the airport. According to my friend, Sean was one of the most friendly, amiable people he has ever met and Sean made a point of asking questions about his family, his job, and what his goals were. What surprised my friend was how much Sean talked on the drive about just about everything.

As for myself, I once tried to buy a drink for Joe Biden when he was a Senator at a restaurant called Old Ebbit Grill in DC, but refused and said, "No, son, let me buy YOU a drink!" so we had a couple of drinks and talked about sports.

Zaph

Damn again :(

Any details on this complete mess thing though? What do you mean by that?

Sure, this was a few years ago as his dr who fame was blowing up. He arrived at a booked publicity/charity event with his then girlfriend and acted like a brat. He was uncooperative with the producers, every request or instruction he treated as being asked a favour rather than working, he was all over his girlfriend in a really inappropriate way, and he got shitfaced.

He just didn't seem to understand how the biz worked - this wasn't a party or a casual event, the room was filled with some pretty influential people, not the type you want an unreliable reputation with so early in your career. That rockstar behaviour era is over, people want professionalism.

Susurrus

Not movie celebrities, but....

Shook hands w/ Joe Biden at Yokota Air Base once. He was doing a speech for the troops and stayed to shake everyone's hand let them get a picture with him. Even though the secret service were trying to get him to get a move on, he was very insistent and got everyone that was there.

Met Freezepop (original members) at PAX 2009 when they were at their booth, very friendly to talk to and chatted for a bit.

I met Jeff Green very briefly at the first PAX East back in what...2010?

I wasn't disappointed though. I did a double take, then he did a double take, and I said "holy crap you're Jeff Green!"

Then I thanked him for the Brodeo.

Met Bret Hart when I was a young and he was in his prime, it was one of the coolest experiences of my young life. He was super cool.

Recently (well, a couple of years ago now, I guess), while at a con, my buddy and I ended up at the bar in the evening ordering drinks at the same time Norman Reedus was and my buddy said hi and that he was a big fan of him and the show. He invited us over to his table for a drink. He then spent the next ten minutes treating my friend like complete shit in front of as many people as he could. The next day he met Shawn Patrick Flanery (of Boondock Saints, along with Reedus) at some signing and Flanery told him that Norman was like that sometimes when he drinks. He becomes a high school bully.

novenD

As for myself, I once tried to buy a drink for Joe Biden when he was a Senator at a restaurant called Old Ebbit Grill in DC, but refused and said, "No, son, let me buy YOU a drink!" so we had a couple of drinks and talked about sports.

I'm mad jelly right now.

Alas, the closest I've come to a celebrity encounter was walking past Matt Lauer once.

I finally found out where he was at least.

AfroDust

Not sure if anyone in this thread even knows who she is but I met Lacy formerly of Flyleaf late last month. She is seriously the tiniest woman I've ever met. Like I wouldn't be surprised if hlahe was less than 5 foot. But she was also super nice and took the time to talk and take a pic with me even though she was in the middle of dinner.

Edit: also met the captain from the Love Boat and he was super cool too.

I bumped into Regis Philbin at a Chase Manhattan Bank two summers ago and he's probably the shortest man I have ever met.

Conversely, that same summer I met Emily "Beth from The Walking Dead, or, that girl who sings" Kinney at a Starbucks on Columbia avenue and she was shy as fuck and downplayed the fact that she was on a popular show. She blushed hard and wouldn't answer when I asked "But I've seen you in some movie or show..." because it took me a minute to realize where I recognized her from.

She reluctantly came up to me and said "I'm on this TV show called The Walking Dead" and my jaw dropped. I don't get "star struck" at all, but for some reason I had that surreal feeling because my friends and I would event/hate watch it every week here in Taipei, and it was such a strange thing to see her there.

She said "Thanks for watching" in this cute, tiny little voice, on her way out. So that was a suprisingly awesome "celebrity" encounter that is the exact opposite of what most people would expect.

Beth is best girl confirmed.

Disappointed to know about Dinklage, though.

Fury451

Banned
The only famous person I ever spent any more time with beyond "Hey, how ya doin'?" was Tom Savini. I was at a horror convention back in the early 90s and was walking along and he came up to me and asked about a huge-ass Suspiria poster I was carrying and where I got it. I told him and then he proceeded to talk to me for like ten minutes about giallo and other horror stuff. I didn't want to be "that guy" and suck up all his time but it was all him, he just really was a horror buff and wanted to talk to other buffs about it. Super cool dude.

I had gone to the con with my then-girlfriend now-wife who was not into any of it, and after he left she said "Jesus that dude talked your ear off." She had no idea he was famous and was astonished to find out who he was and was genuinely impressed with how down to earth he was.

<3 Tom Savini :)

This is such a cool story. He always seemed like a pretty down to earth guy.

Beth is best girl confirmed.

Disappointed to know about Dinklage, though.

She always was <3

I wonder if Dinklage is like Patrick Stewart though. I'm pretty sure that for awhile in his career, he got a little gruff or shut down when people brought Trek up all the time. Maybe I'm misremembering, but I don't think he was always as relaxed about it as he is now.

Maybe Dinklage is that way when people bring up Thrones or Emmy's nonstop. Or people may be making dumb comments about his height too out of innocent ignorance or something, we don't know. Or maybe he's a jerk. Consider all options.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
CTRL + F: "Chris Evans"

0 results found

CTRL + F "Lady Gaga"

2 positive results found

Phew! Glad there are no bad stories about my favorite actor and one of my favorite singers :)

stufte

I met Don Johnson once when I worked at Planet Hollywood in San Francisco. He was a sith lord level asshole.

ajcacio

Banned
I've mentioned it here before so not tryna sound like a star ducker but Alyson Hannigan and Alexis Denisof are our next door neighbors. They're the most outgoing and friendly neighbors on our floor.

Robert Ri'chard was in the lane next to us at a bowling lounge (whatever the fuck that is) with like four drunk ass girls who were all over him.

Abbi and Ilana from broad city were cool too

My girlfriends mom hung out with Michael Douglas at a bar for a while. She said he was a good conversationalist but didn't wanna take a picture to draw attention to himself

LSWilson

What the fuck does one's personality have to do with his career? Is bjork suddenly a bad musician because she's a disgusting human being? Is Blue is the warmest colour any less of a masterpiece because Abdellatif Kechiche is a prick? Hell no, it's completely unrelated and we don't get a say in ANYONE's disposition.

Grow the fuck up, these people owe you nothing and vice versa.

I've met a ton of celebrities at my job and I didn't let the fact that they weren't nice influence my opinion of them as professionals. Yeah, Tim Burton and Rowan Atkinson are asses... so what? They're great at what they do. And Jude Law being a sweetheart doesn't make him any better of an actor.

Expecting something out of someone who's life you have no role in qualifies as both absurd and self-entitled.

Arent you a charmingly happy person.

Theecliff

Banned
CTRL + F: "Chris Evans"

0 results found

CTRL + F "Lady Gaga"

2 positive results found

Phew! Glad there are no bad stories about my favorite actor and one of my favorite singers :)
naw man, I met Chris Evans at a grocery store in Boston yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.

He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?”

I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.

The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.

When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.

sorry :/

naw man, I met Chris Evans at a grocery store in Boston yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.

I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.

The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.

When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.

What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I’m the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You’re fucking dead, kiddo.

Peltz

Jon Stewart came into where I work (because he has a house in the area) twice. I just said hello, how are you? And he smiled and said how's it going? I didn't want to bother him because he was with his young daughter.

I'm not surprised. I can't imagine that guy having a single mean bone in his body.

dreams

I've met a few lesser known members of various bands, but the ones that stick out in my mind the most are the ladies from SubRosa. I got to talk to them for about 5-10 minutes at their merch booth at Roadburn this year, and they were all super nice. Kim (I think it was, I was kind of star struck at the time) said she loved my hedgehog scarf and then talked about how she used to have a pet hedgehog. Really probably some of the most down to earth people I've ever met. The majority of the bands who I've gotten the chance to interact with at Roadburn have been, though.

p2535748

I generally don't go up to celebrities when I see them, just because I figure they'd appreciate the privacy, but I've had a few times where I was actually with people who knew them or in situations where I couldn't really avoid talking to them.

By far the nicest person I met was Roger Federer. For a guy who's probably the best tennis player of all time, he was super friendly and down to earth, and shocked me with how nice he was.

Through a convoluted series of friendships, I ended up talking to Natalie Portman for a few minutes. She was perfectly nice, though (understandably) not super talkative.

Kevin Garnett apologized to me when he almost ran me over on the street in NY. I didn't even realize it was him until he bumped into me, I just thought it was some super tall guy.

I was at a Vegas hotel where much of the CSI cast was staying, and I kept meeting them in elevators, etc. The only one who was anything other than completely nice was the young guy (Eric Szmanda), who in his defense was, I think, super hungover. George Eads was probably the nicest member we ran in to.

dubc35

I met Danny McBride while he was filming Eastbound & Down in Wilmington. They were setting up a scene while I was trying to finish my lunch and Danny was chatting with either the director or script writer over in a booth a few feet away.

I dumped my trash and walked over with my brother and just told him I was a huge fan of his and really enjoyed his humor. I introduced my brother, told Danny this was the first time my brother had ever met a celebrity and he said, "Well, I'm glad to have popped his cherry."

Got a quick picture with him too:

http://i.imgur.com/SOgdN8L.jpg[/IMG

I also met Lee Norris (Minkus from Boy Meets World, dude from One Tree Hill) at a bar in Wilmington one time. Quickly went up to him half drunk, told him I liked him better as Minkus, and shook his hand. Dude was with 3 women at the time. Was very pleasant and courteous during the quick exchange.[/QUOTE]

Bolded sounds like a perfect response from him, lol.

I met Spike Lee doing ushering at the NBA all star game in Orlando a few years back. I can confirm that he is an asshole. I also met Kevin Heart who is a great guy!

I saw Kurtwood Smith during the intermission of a LA Philharmonic concert. I mentioned I had just watched Star Trek 6, which he got a really good laugh out of.

Nokterian

I have met Candy Dulfer she does saxofoon and also very pretty lady,nice and humble and down to earth. I haven't met Ancilla Tilia yet she is an actress but also former dutch model but she is following me on twitter and we talked a bit very open and honest she is very beautiful also.

Maxios

I'm not really sure if he counts as a celebrity, but I met Kato Kaelin once a few years ago. He tried to tell me about some new project he was involved with, but then he stopped and harassed a woman for a few minutes. He's a pretty sleazy dude.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
edit: woops i got thread confusion in my brainspace

Decider

Christopher Eccleston jogged past me on Hampstead Heath once.

I glanced at him for a split second, the way you do when you recognise someone but can't quite place how you know them.

He shot me one of the dirtiest looks ever.

Also borrowed a book off a friend of mine and never returned it. What a fucker.

Met Christopher Eccleston on a plane, was completely unresponsive to everyone and anything. And it wasn't like everyone was pestering him for autographs, the most anybody did was smile or say hello. Twat.

Also got to get through customers in a 'special lane' while the rest of us plebs had to wait around forever.

I've always heard that he's a pretty rude person.

I served Eccleston one morning when I worked in HMV on Oxford Street. He always stands out as one of the nicest celebrity encounters I had there- very polite and talkative and thanked me on his way out.

OTOH, not really a celebrity, but I met the film critic Mark Kermode and he's such a nice guy to talk to :)

I sold Kermode some games once. (I know!) They were all film licences. He was quite nice as well.

Also, sorry to any Metallica fans here but James Hetfield tried to use his celebrity status to get into the staff bathrooms multiple times. I turned him down flat. :D

Well that's a bummer. Here I thought he was an OK guy what with the Superbowl stuff he and Chris Pratt were doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom