• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ever Oasis Preview (Destructoid): "Ever Oasis Isn't What I Thought It Would Be"

HotHamBoy

As I write this, my save file for Ever Oasis is at the seven-hour mark. This is the point where the game is just starting to become fun.

tenor.gif

It mostly seems to be a slow burn from the preview and some people won't seem to enjoy it if that puts them off, but the writer seems to have felt like the game is coming around. It doesn't help the game felt like it would be Zelda-like to him, but it ends up being more of a city builder type game.

Hence how he feels like the game isn't what he thought it was, but that's not bad to him. There's a demo in the eShop you could try if you haven't yet!

Fewr

I assumed the meat of the experience would be Zelda-esque dungeon crawling and combat. That is not the case. The goal of the game is to build my oasis up and to do this I need to bring in residents, have them open shops, stock those shops with materials and collect the dewadems visiting Noots and others spend to reinvest back into the community.
I had no idea about this. I thought it'd be like Zelda and Popolocrois 3DS.

I thought the demo was fun and it can be done in 30 minutes.

I'd guess the demo might be the first dungeon, going by my demo playthrough and this preview. The demo definitely showed what the game is about for the most part in a short chunk: doing tasks to help build the oasis, build the oasis up, and going into dungeons with combat and puzzles build around the building of your party, switching between members of your party depending on the situation.

It mostly seems to be a slow burn from the preview and some people won't seem to enjoy it if that puts them off, but the writer seems to have felt like the game is coming around. It doesn't help the game felt like it would be Zelda-like to him, but it ends up being a city builder type game.

Hence how he feels like the game isn't what he thought it was, but that's not bad to him. There's a demo in the eShop you could try if you haven't yet!

This is basically exactly what I wanted to hear, as someone who traditionally has gotten more enjoyment out of city builders than Zelda-likes. So good news for me at least!

It mostly seems to be a slow burn from the preview and some people won't seem to enjoy it if that puts them off, but the writer seems to have felt like the game is coming around. It doesn't help the game felt like it would be Zelda-like to him, but it ends up being more of a city builder type game.

Yeah, I wanted a Zelda like from the Secret of Mana creator and the guys behind the good Zelda remakes.
Don't like how combat feels made worse by the similarities to it.
There's not much to the demo to showcase City building which makes the demo bad. Can't say I'm interested in it currently.
I'll probably never get to play this game, but i really like slow starts in my RPGs.

Persona 4 and Twilight Princess both had this ''issue'' and i love them.
Both are good inspite of the slow start not because of them

Makonero

I LOVE city building. My Life as a King but I also get to go in the dungeons is like my dream game. I want this now!

As a comparison, Resonance of Fate took 20 hours before the story actually started moving forward. This game can't be much worse than that, right?

Really looking for impressions on this before my Amazon order ships. It's out this Friday, right?

No reviews yet? Demo was okay and I am in love with the setting and characters. Worried about the gameplay to be honest.

Kouriozan

I assumed the meat of the experience would be Zelda-esque dungeon crawling and combat. That is not the case. The goal of the game is to build my oasis up and to do this I need to bring in residents, have them open shops, stock those shops with materials and collect the dewadems visiting Noots and others spend to reinvest back into the community.

This is EXACTLY what I wanted, god I need a new Final Fantasy My Life As A King.

The Demo didn't seem to be cut directly from the game, so it isn't like you're playing right from the very start. The village was already set up a bit for you, so it just covered the very basics.

But I still enjoyed it. And I am really looking forward to diving into the dungeons of the game for loot and glory. The art style is super cute, and the clarity of the models in the cut scenes was surprisingly crisp (for a 3DS game). Combat is simple but fun, and the character switching should keep it interesting.

Plus they named the badass lizard lady Miura, which is one of my favorite cars of all times, so I guess I'm a scaly now or something. Life is weird.

higemaru

The criticisms being leveled towards this game actually make me a little more interested in it. I'll be honest, I legitimately thought this was just going to be a spiritual successor to Beyond Oasis but lol guess I was wrong. It sounds like what I wanted Rune Factory to be but with Zelda combat. Guess I'll check out the demo.

Fisty

As a comparison, Resonance of Fate took 20 hours before the story actually started moving forward. This game can't be much worse than that, right?

Yeah but you had the flashy fun combat to pull you forward in Resonance. Seems like combat is much less of a focus here than many were expecting, for better or worse

MicH

This is EXACTLY what I wanted, god I need a new Final Fantasy My Life As A King.
God, MLaaK was freaking fantastic and it saddens me I haven't found another game like it. It was so charming! Hopefully Ever Oasis is gonna be kinda like it, really excited for it although I wasn't a fan of the battles when I played the demo. Kept getting turned around

Intel_89

Kind of off-topic but does anyone know when the embargo will be lifted for Ever Oasis? The game launches in Europe in two days so I was hoping for some early reviews.

BiggNife

Kind of off-topic but does anyone know when the embargo will be lifted for Ever Oasis? The game launches in Europe in two days so I was hoping for some early reviews.

I was wondering the same thing but I can't find anything on Google. Nintendo usually drops embargos pretty early so it's weird to me that there's still no reviews two days before release.

And my Amazon order shipped. Well I guess we'll see if any websites bother to review this game... Weird for a first party Nintendo game.
I think GameXplain will review it. Derrick at GameXplain said he's trying to finish the review for Thursday.

Im hearing Thursday. I guess that's tomorrow.

Myriadis

I played through the demo and liked what I played so far. It's very barebones Zelda right now so I hope that there are some difficult puzzles, but I like the combat enough that I had fun.
Might be a game that I will pick up.

Poppy

i always thought it looked like a more fun and cutesy dark cloud or something, not zelda

PLEASE BE GOOD IVE BEEN LOOKING FORWARD TO THIS FOR SO LONG

Gestault

As I write this, my save file for Ever Oasis is at the seven-hour mark. This is the point where the game is just starting to become fun.

If a game takes hours to even start to get good, in the trash it goes. I expect this from a lot of the modern, long-form Japanese games without the design sense or talent to make something clever/entertaining, but when the realization of the preview is that this is largely a city builder with that issue, that sounds even worse.

If a game takes hours to even start to get good, in the trash it goes. I expect this from a lot of the modern, long-form Japanese games without the design sense to make something clever or entertaining, but when the realization of the preview is that this is largely a city builder, that sounds even worse (a city builder that isn't entertaining for such a long-stretch).

You realize you can try out a demo right now and see for yourself, right? A man's impressions based on what he thought a game would be and being in a gameplay genre he did not put much stock into does not mean that his experience will be the same as everyone else's.

Pyrrhus

Why can't Ishii just give us a proper successor to Secret of Mana? That one moved briskly and had the good sense to make the focus on combat and constantly covering new ground. Ever since, though, he's always layered his games with so much OCD bullshit and pointless dialogue that I hit that mess and just bounce off.

Kensuke

I'm playing the game for review as well. The game is definitely a very slow starter and the first two hours are basically pure tutorial. That part is quite dull. After that you gain more freedom and it evolves into what I would call mildly interesting busywork. You're recruiting villagers, setting up and socking shops, leveling up your town and exploring the outside world. At that point it's still very simple and kid-friendly though.

The interesting part is that the game keeps evolving and giving you more and more options. There is a lot for me to keep in mind for the town stuff now. Spelunking has also finally started to get a little challenging as well. If it keeps this up the game could get really good.

The slow start is a bit of a turn off, but keep in mind that this game has some other elements that help you get through that. It's very cute (both in style and story) and it has great music. I would definitely understand people not wanting to play through some uneventful hours first though.

I'm playing the game for review as well. The game is definitely a very slow starter and the first two hours are basically pure tutorial. That part is quite dull. After that you gain more freedom and it evolves into what I would call mildly interesting busywork. You're recruiting villagers, setting up and socking shops, leveling up your town and exploring the outside world. At that point it's still very simple and kid-friendly though.

The interesting part is that the game keeps evolving and giving you more and more options. There is a lot for me to keep in mind for the town stuff now. Spelunking has also finally started to get a little challenging as well. If it keeps this up the game could get really good.

The slow start is a bit of a turn off, but keep in mind that this game has some other elements that help you get through that. It's very cute (both in style and story) and it has great music. I would definitely understand people not wanting to play through some uneventful hours first though.

Indeed, just from the Demo I figured this game is Headphones Worthy. I'll probably be playing it more on my couch at home through my big set of cans than I would be out and about. I can't wait to pick it up on Friday. I wonder when it will be available for download. I might try and wake up early to get it downloaded before I go in to work.

Top Bottom