• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EverQuest Next Landmark Alpha |OT| Settle in, Trailblazin' is afoot.

Trouble

Banned
This ran like crap on my 5870, unsurprisingly enough. PS2 works amazingly well, however.

While they use the same-ish engine, Landmark seems very unoptimized ATM. This game is also definitely harder on the CPU than PS2 what with all the voxel calculations.

Christ, it's a pain in the ass to find Ancient Rootstock trees. They're surprisingly distinctive in the old overgrowth, but painfully difficult to find.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Christ, it's a pain in the ass to find Ancient Rootstock trees. They're surprisingly distinctive in the old overgrowth, but painfully difficult to find.

Go to one of the least populated servers/islands, I found a bunch on Liberation/lavatube. I also found a bunch of spindle cone on lavatube.

Go to one of the least populated servers/islands, I found a bunch on Liberation/lavatube. I also found a bunch of spindle cone on lavatube.

Spindle Cone is much more common, and stands out like a sore thumb. Thankfully, the Founder's Pickaxe is tier 6, So I don't have to hunt down more of those bloody pines to make the best pick and axe. I already have enough for the pick, just need to hunt down the ores.

Compared to that, even on a seemingly empty island, hunting down those goddamn pines is a nightmare. They really need to make those much more common.

Trouble

Banned
Spindle Cone is much more common, and stands out like a sore thumb. Thankfully, the Founder's Pickaxe is tier 6, So I don't have to hunt down more of those bloody pines to make the best pick and axe. I already have enough for the pick, just need to hunt down the ores.

Compared to that, even on a seemingly empty island, hunting down those goddamn pines is a nightmare. They really need to make those much more common.

I've gotten pretty good at scanning the tops of old growth trees from a high vantage point and identifying the rare ones. They have a slightly different shade of needles.

Definitely the most time consuming single resource to gather. I had to get 90 earlier to get my legendary smelter and exceptional infuser (which I have since upgraded to legendary).

My advice to those early in the progression is build the smelter and alchemy refiners as soon as you can. I waited until I had the top tier pick and probably would have saved a good bit of time and resources.

Iadien

I gathered enough of both resources in about an hour on liberation/lavatube, only reason I mentioned both. =p Less people, equals way more chances of finding the ancient crap.

Eh, I prefer to mooch off other claims, much faster than going all the way back to your claim, especially in another zone. Portal shards would normally mitigate this, but for some stupid reason they put a hour-long cooldown on those. I'd understand if it was an infinite-use item to some degree, but they're consumable.

Also, I've gotten inexplicably lucky with finding Rootstock. Either that, or someone at SoE turned up the spawn amount quite a bit. I'm gonna grab as much as I can before this lucky chance passes, I'm already at 57, and I already see more in the area.

Edit: Well, that was an easy haul. I got more than enough, which is sweet. Now to focus on getting the rest of the building tools and the best smelter/refiner/etc.

demolitio

I just started the other day on Courage and it seems I don't have a claim flag? Do you have to craft it now?

I definitely need to find some good tutorials since it's overwhelming at first. I clearly need a sensei to take me under their wing as a loyal apprentice. :D

This fills my need for a building game though.

Iadien

I just started the other day on Courage and it seems I don't have a claim flag? Do you have to craft it now?

I definitely need to find some good tutorials since it's overwhelming at first. I clearly need a sensei to take me under their wing as a loyal apprentice. :D

This fills my need for a building game though.

you have to craft the claim flag.

Getting started: http://guide-source.com/eqn-landmark-guide/getting-started-in-landmark
Material guide: http://guide-source.com/eqn-landmark-guide/material-identification-guide
Accessories: http://guide-source.com/eqn-landmark-guide/landmark-accessory-guide

Make sure you get 1 or 2 Keen-Eye Bands equipped pretty early on, they help with finding rares.

Landmark recipes: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...S_kheYae49fuo8o/htmlview?usp=sharing&sle=true

So is this game going to become everquest 2 when it launches? Or will they remain separate games?

This will not turn into the next EQ. Basically, the tools the devs are using to create EQ Next are given to the players to create with in Landmark. EQN will have a narrative, Landmark will not...

Trouble

Banned
This will not turn into the next EQ. Basically, the tools the devs are using to create EQ Next are given to the players to create with in Landmark. EQN will have a narrative, Landmark will not...

Yep.

Landmark = Minecraft-ish sandbox MMO
EQN = Regular Themepark MMO

RK9039

EQN isn't a theme park MMO, or at least it won't be if they can pull off what they've been promising. The world seems to work similar to how EVE online works, and by that I mean the world is supposed to change as the players do things in the game.

demolitio

you have to craft the claim flag.

Getting started: http://guide-source.com/eqn-landmark-guide/getting-started-in-landmark
Material guide: http://guide-source.com/eqn-landmark-guide/material-identification-guide
Accessories: http://guide-source.com/eqn-landmark-guide/landmark-accessory-guide

Make sure you get 1 or 2 Keen-Eye Bands equipped pretty early on, they help with finding rares.

Landmark recipes: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...S_kheYae49fuo8o/htmlview?usp=sharing&sle=true

Thanks a bunch. I kept running into tutorials from the alpha which was a little different by the looks of it.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Whoa, my PC really doesn't run this well.

There go my hopes of playing this on my future laptop.

Brashnir

SOE sent me a 7-day beta trial, so I logged in and poked around for 4 or 5 hours.

What an abject pile of garbage it is in its current state. I logged on and noticed that the only buildings on the entire map were at best 10% finished, and nobody was logged in, and I wondered what was going on. I figured there'd be a community building all sorts of cool stuff by now.

And then I started to play and I understood why it's in this state. Everything takes about 20 times as long as it should, and the player is given basically no ability to be self-sufficient from the get-go. You're stuck tethered to crafting stations for hours on end - stations which can't even build the things you need to complete recipes on the other one.

It's like they took a look at Minecraft, aped all the most obvious things and completely missed what made it fun to begin with and crapped it out onto a server. That's what I thought anyway until I opened the shop and realized that all these resources which are utterly painful to harvest are available in massive quantities for the low-low-cost of your real fucking cash. At that point it all became clear what this "game" really is - a scam to bore you into opening your wallet to get all the cool things that are just out of your reach. Or pay-to-not-play, in other words.

Fuck off Sony. You can shove this thing up your collective asses.

JesseZao

So the pay gate is up for the beta testing? Guess that will keep my expectations in check. Hopefully there is exploration fun to be had. I wasn't planning on spending any money. I assume they'll send more emails saying "another 7 days!" to help build hype, but it certainly didn't help ESO.

Careful. I think there's a phishing scam or something going around for this beta. I saw this in my mailbox last night around 2AM. I was so sleepy it looked legit. Good thing I didn't attempt to check it out until I snoozed.

The links are actually for some domain like "e-sonyonline.com".

SCREENSHOT: http://i.imgur.com/7Zp4OEh.jpg?1

Careful. I think there's a phishing scam or something going around for this beta. I saw this in my mailbox last night around 2AM. I was so sleepy it looked legit. Good thing I didn't attempt to check it out until I snoozed.

e-sonyonline.com is an actual address for SOE.

There's a link to that URL in the email they sent me with my beta keys for my trailblazer pack. It's not a phishing scam. (the link isn't, anyway)

I'm getting a constant 10 FPS on 900p low settings, which is pretty much a sign that I need to upgrade my computer. What's strange is that I can run Planetside 2 at around 45 FPS medium-high settings at 1080p.

I'll wait to try it again when I upgrade my computer, or when the PS4 version comes out. Whichever comes first. The game seems fun as all hell, though.

e-sonyonline.com is an actual address for SOE.

There's a link to that URL in the email they sent me with my beta keys for my trailblazer pack. It's not a phishing scam. (the link isn't, anyway)

Eh. I'll sandboxie it, but I still feel paranoid. It's like every thing is a scam these days. Two weeks ago, this woman in a green apron shows up at my doorstep and quickly says something about eating healthy and a restaurant as soon as I opened the door. Then she abruptly asked me if I would like for her to come inside (my home) and make me a free fresh salad. Without saying anything, I just stared at her blankly for about 8 seconds and closed the door slowly. Who knows what she was up to.

I got the same email, I'm in the beta now so take that as you will.

Are we going to get a beta OT? Closed Beta has launched now.

Versifier

SOE sent me a 7-day beta trial, so I logged in and poked around for 4 or 5 hours.

What an abject pile of garbage it is in its current state. I logged on and noticed that the only buildings on the entire map were at best 10% finished, and nobody was logged in, and I wondered what was going on. I figured there'd be a community building all sorts of cool stuff by now.

And then I started to play and I understood why it's in this state. Everything takes about 20 times as long as it should, and the player is given basically no ability to be self-sufficient from the get-go. You're stuck tethered to crafting stations for hours on end - stations which can't even build the things you need to complete recipes on the other one.

It's like they took a look at Minecraft, aped all the most obvious things and completely missed what made it fun to begin with and crapped it out onto a server. That's what I thought anyway until I opened the shop and realized that all these resources which are utterly painful to harvest are available in massive quantities for the low-low-cost of your real fucking cash. At that point it all became clear what this "game" really is - a scam to bore you into opening your wallet to get all the cool things that are just out of your reach. Or pay-to-not-play, in other words.

Fuck off Sony. You can shove this thing up your collective asses.

Full disclosure I have a trailblazer account and have been playing since Alpha started.
Your post is full of misinformation and hyperbole. You are entitled to your opinion but posting complete lies is just silly.

There are 50 "maps" per server and you can change servers/maps at will. People are congregation on higher tier "maps" right now. Until all tiers are available on each "map" you can expect Tier 1(where you start as a new player) to be less populated. Claims are wiped if you don't log in and pay upkeep(300 copper per day, max 5 days banked), so if all these people aren't logging in you'd be seeing vast wastelands of nothing everywhere.

Unable to be self sufficient from the get go? I decided to see how terrible it really is by starting out with a fresh account. Protip the official forums are a great place to get help! Case in Point: (New) starting steps in Closed Beta
Decided to follow the devs starting guide!

Code:
12:00 Start
A - Build a Copper Pick
10 Copper Ingots (1000 copper)
10 Elemental Copper (NOT ON MARKET, damn SOE really fucking me over already! Forcing me mine copper myself and not spend money those bastards!)
20 Agate
15 Heartwood (NOT ON MARKET, gouging bastards making me pay zero and having to chop down trees!? Unheard of!)

12:12 Heartwood Done (12 trees at most)
12:22 Copper Done
12:22 Elemental Copper Done (4 veins total)
12:25 Agate Done  (this took < 1 deposit)
12:26 Copper Pick Done

B - Make Keen Eyed Band x 2 (this is kind of a waste of time IMO but whatever!)
20 Copper Ingots
20 Elemental Copper (NOT ON MARKET)
200 Stone

12:31 Stone Done
12:38 Copper / Elemental Copper Done
12:40 Keen Eyed Band x 2 Crafted

C - Tin Axe (Optional, No reason to do this yet)
5 Copper Ingot
5 Elemental Copper (NOT ON MARKET)
5 Tin Ingot
5 Elemental Tin (NOT ON MARKET)
20 Tourmaline
20 Heartwood (NOT ON MARKET)

D - Claim Flag (Needed to create structures and put down your own crafting stations)
7 Elemental Iron (NOT ON MARKET)
10 Aquamarine
10 Heartwood (NOT ON MARKET)

12:48 Elemental Iron Done
1:01 Aquamarine Done (This took a while to find probably upwards of 15 minutes)
1:03 Heartwood Done
1:04 Claim Flag Done

So I'm about an hour in on a new account with no head start items and I'm now able to start building on my claim. This doesn't seem like an overly large investment of time to me.
What exactly did you do for 4 or 5 hours? What things do you need from market that are so hard to get? I can't decide if you are just trolling or what...

Wartari

Banned
I got into the beta, runs like ass (9 fps) and have no idea what to do. It looks like an MMO (I know what it is) but I can't find a starting quest or anything. Do I just start digging? How do I get better picks? Dig more?

Versifier

Is this game the same exact rendering engine as PS2?

Landmark, EverQuest Next, and PS2 all run on the Forgelight Engine

I got into the beta, runs like ass (9 fps) and have no idea what to do. It looks like an MMO (I know what it is) but I can't find a starting quest or anything. Do I just start digging? How do I get better picks? Dig more?

You can check the required items for a copper pick at the forge near the spires where you start.
Starting Guide is useful if you are lost or new. Just follow their suggestions and it shouldn't take more than 10 - 20 minutes to get a new pick and maybe 60 - 90 minutes to get a claim flag.

If you haven't you could try turning off Shadows it helps a lot.

Wartari

Banned
You can check the required items for a copper pick at the forge near the spires where you start.
Starting Guide is useful if you are lost or new. Just follow their suggestions and it shouldn't take more than 10 - 20 minutes to get a new pick and maybe 60 - 90 minutes to get a claim flag.

If you haven't you could try turning off Shadows it helps a lot.

JesseZao

Are the different zones marked on your map? Pretty neat so far, but I don't really want to claim anything near the start. Mining is a lot more fun than cutting down trees. Wish you'd at least splinter it or something.

bounchfx

tried playing, I'm lost as shit lol. I really dig the idea behind it, except nothing seems to work. harvesting takes ages, and it wont let me place anything bigger than a 2x2 even if I have the resources, not to mention I have no idea where my claim flag is.

I see the potential, but right now it's......probably at least 2 years off.

Cystm

I got seven days of beta access like a many others have and would like to share a few quick thoughts before bed:
  • So far I feel like this could be a lot of fun in a cooperative guild.
  • I am bored playing solo, though.
  • Character art is great. World detail is stellar, and the view I have from my claim is really cool.
  • Without PvP or some form of a carrot, I will lose interest incredibly fast.

Brashnir

Full disclosure I have a trailblazer account and have been playing since Alpha started.
Your post is full of misinformation and hyperbole. You are entitled to your opinion but posting complete lies is just silly.

There are 50 "maps" per server and you can change servers/maps at will. People are congregation on higher tier "maps" right now. Until all tiers are available on each "map" you can expect Tier 1(where you start as a new player) to be less populated. Claims are wiped if you don't log in and pay upkeep(300 copper per day, max 5 days banked), so if all these people aren't logging in you'd be seeing vast wastelands of nothing everywhere.

Unable to be self sufficient from the get go? I decided to see how terrible it really is by starting out with a fresh account. Protip the official forums are a great place to get help! Case in Point: (New) starting steps in Closed Beta
Decided to follow the devs starting guide!

Code:
12:00 Start
A - Build a Copper Pick
10 Copper Ingots (1000 copper)
10 Elemental Copper (NOT ON MARKET, damn SOE really fucking me over already! Forcing me mine copper myself and not spend money those bastards!)
20 Agate
15 Heartwood (NOT ON MARKET, gouging bastards making me pay zero and having to chop down trees!? Unheard of!)

12:12 Heartwood Done (12 trees at most)
12:22 Copper Done
12:22 Elemental Copper Done (4 veins total)
12:25 Agate Done  (this took < 1 deposit)
12:26 Copper Pick Done

B - Make Keen Eyed Band x 2 (this is kind of a waste of time IMO but whatever!)
20 Copper Ingots
20 Elemental Copper (NOT ON MARKET)
200 Stone

12:31 Stone Done
12:38 Copper / Elemental Copper Done
12:40 Keen Eyed Band x 2 Crafted

C - Tin Axe (Optional, No reason to do this yet)
5 Copper Ingot
5 Elemental Copper (NOT ON MARKET)
5 Tin Ingot
5 Elemental Tin (NOT ON MARKET)
20 Tourmaline
20 Heartwood (NOT ON MARKET)

D - Claim Flag (Needed to create structures and put down your own crafting stations)
7 Elemental Iron (NOT ON MARKET)
10 Aquamarine
10 Heartwood (NOT ON MARKET)

12:48 Elemental Iron Done
1:01 Aquamarine Done (This took a while to find probably upwards of 15 minutes)
1:03 Heartwood Done
1:04 Claim Flag Done

So I'm about an hour in on a new account with no head start items and I'm now able to start building on my claim. This doesn't seem like an overly large investment of time to me.
What exactly did you do for 4 or 5 hours? What things do you need from market that are so hard to get? I can't decide if you are just trolling or what...
An hour for an experienced player who already knows exactly what to do and yet you still haven't built a crafting table?

yeah, that's the problem. A crafting table in minecraft takes ~20 seconds to have up and running.

Billen

Banned
I'm getting a constant 10 FPS on 900p low settings, which is pretty much a sign that I need to upgrade my computer. What's strange is that I can run Planetside 2 at around 45 FPS medium-high settings at 1080p.

I'll wait to try it again when I upgrade my computer, or when the PS4 version comes out. Whichever comes first. The game seems fun as all hell, though.

Same here, it runs so badly that I only started it once.

Top Bottom