• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EverQuest Next Landmark Alpha |OT| Settle in, Trailblazin' is afoot.

th4tguy

So far, I regret spending money on this. I will uninstall and wait for more patches to go through, then give it another shot. Hopefully by then the performance and gameplay will be better fleshed out.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
I'm curious about the specs that some of you have. If you have a weak CPU, you will have poor performance. I have a 2500k, and I'm fine.

In the UserOptions.ini file I recommend setting ShadowQuality to 0, that should improve your frames quite a bit. After setting this, I have almost constant 60FPS, unless I'm around a lot of people or something.

Trouble

Banned
I'm curious about the specs that some of you have. If you have a weak CPU, you will have poor performance. I have a 2500k, and I'm fine.

In the UserOptions.ini file I recommend setting ShadowQuality to 0, that should improve your frames quite a bit. After setting this, I have almost constant 60FPS, unless I'm around a lot of people or something.

Yeah my rig is a couple years old, but having an i7 is probably saving my ass. I get ~30fps most of the time. I haven't turned off shadows.

Iadien

Yeah my rig is a couple years old, but having an i7 is probably saving my ass. I get ~30fps most of the time. I haven't turned off shadows.

Your CPU is helping a lot for sure, this engine is harsh on CPUs when the game isn't fully optimized.

Trouble

Banned
Your CPU is helping a lot for sure, this engine is harsh on CPUs when the game isn't fully optimized.

Even after optimization this game is probably going to be really CPU heavy. All the on-the-fly voxel calculations (especially sub-voxel meshing) are pretty intense.

Iadien

It's pretty quiet on the neogaf chat channel...

So how much longer do you think till caves?

They should be this month some time. If I had to guess, the caves will be in the week after next. Basic combat may also make it in by the end of the month.

supergiz

They should be this month some time. If I had to guess, the caves will be in the week after next. Basic combat may also make it in by the end of the month.

Great to hear! I am having so much fun as I am getting better axes and picks. the rate at which i can dig holes is amazing!

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
So, I got into this, installed it, but unfortunately my computer can't handle it.

Running everything on the lowest settings nets me a 16fps average with frequent drops and my computer runs very hot (takes like 2,000,000k+ of memory as task manager tells me), and after a few minutes of roaming around it crashes to my desktop without so much as a notification afterward.

That said, from the tiny bit I played, I'm so down for this game. I'm not a big MMO guy, but this really seems like an amazing next step. Just being able to pick away at the side of a hill and actually walk down into the indent makes me think of countless possibilities.

Still, the game needs some better performance tweaks. I can run most modern games fine at medium-low settings. In fact, typically it's only things like shadows or draw distance that make my computer chug. Even with everything at low on Landmark, a lot of the assets looked higher-quality than they really needed to be.

Anyway, I'd like to get back into it when I can actually run the dang thing, even if that means waiting for the 99% happening PS4 version of the full game release.

Iadien

There are a few tweaks that can be done if you have an Nvidia card. Also, try disabling shadows as I mentioned in a post above, doing just this brought my frames up by 15-20.

To improve your frame rates in game if you're using an NVIDIA graphics cards, open the NVIDIA Control Panel. Click 'Manage 3D settings' and in the 'Progam Settings' tab, click 'Add'. If 'Everquestnextlandmark64.exe' isn't listed, browse to it. Down in the feature box, set 'Power management mode' to 'Prefer maximum performance' and set 'Texture filtering - Quality' to 'High Performance'. This change barely reduces the quality of the in game graphics, but makes a HUGE difference for consistant framerates.

Iadien

So what are the plans for final release servers? How will the size compare to the small squares we have now?

The island hopping to switch to different tiers will be going away completely once the tiers are introduced. The world will be a mile deep, so the tiers will add a ton of content underground. Almost all of the tier 2+ materials will be underground instead of just spread out on the surface. There will be recipes to go discover, treasure, npcs to fight, etc... eventually.

check this if you want to see, skip to 3:00 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynF4zZ9-zmI

JesseZao

The island hopping to switch to different tiers will be going away completely once the tiers are introduced. The world will be a mile deep, so the tiers will add a ton of content underground. Almost all of the tier 2+ materials will be underground instead of just spread out on the surface. There will be recipes to go discover, treasure, npcs to fight, etc... eventually.

check this if you want to see, skip to 3:00 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynF4zZ9-zmI

cool, thanks.

supergiz

So I have been playing for a few days now, and it's just amazing how just mining and chopping away at trees is so much fun. Then there are the insane looking houses to discover. I found one yesterday that was a dragon's head made of sand in the desert. Looked small until I traveled down the stairs to find a little hovel with a giant planetarium inside, hosting a huge burning sun in the middle of the dark room.

JesseZao

How are wipes going to work; are there wipes? I've enjoyed the game so far, but I don't want to lose everything. Also, are they going to send invites to the 7day people again? I'm not going to spend 20 bucks to beta test.

Pachimari

I would really like to get into this one, especially as I am in a MMO-craze like I have never been before and got myself build a super gaming rig which should handle it.

Are my only choices to pay either $20, $60 or $100 to gain access to Landmark?

Effect

Okay I'm back in. I tried the game again on the 7 day pass I was sent and I liked the new additions made to the game. It seems to run better as well. So I purchased the Settler's Pack again. Initially I had gotten that with a gift card and then upgraded to the Trailblazer with my own money. Not sure if I'll do that again though I do want those costumes but I'm not sure how much money they're worth. I'll see how much I'm enjoying it this week.

JesseZao

If you want access now during beta, yes.

If you want to wait for it to be released (unknown date), then it'll be totally free.

There'd no value in the $20. Usually you at least get the cash shop equivalent in currency with these pre-release packs. You can make your own equivalent pick in an hour.

The $20 is just to pay early.

Iadien

There'd no value in the $20. Usually you at least get the cash shop equivalent in currency with these pre-release packs. You can make your own equivalent pick in an hour.

The $20 is just to pay early.

The main draw besides playing early, is the fact that people playing now will be able to keep templates and items when the game opens up. The extra time is great for people that plan on selling items on player studio. Also, the founder pickaxe is able to harvest any tree, which allows people to bypass needing to upgrade the axe, and focus on upgrading the pick.

JesseZao

The main draw besides playing early, is the fact that people playing now will be able to keep templates and items when the game opens up. The extra time is great for people that plan on selling items on player studio. Also, the founder pickaxe is able to harvest any tree, which allows people to bypass needing to upgrade the axe, and focus on upgrading the pick.

I guess I didn't realize that about the axe. How is selling things on the market going to work? You set your own prices? I assume it won't be like tf2 hats where you can make real money though right? I like the game, I just don't like the presale packages.

Iadien

I guess I didn't realize that about the axe. How is selling things on the market going to work? You set your own prices? I assume it won't be like tf2 hats where you can make real money though right? I like the game, I just don't like the presale packages.

SOE is supposed to be discussing player studio very soon. All we really know right now is that yes, players will be making real money off of the items, SOE gets 60% players get 40%. They mentioned just last week that one player has managed to earn $100,000 in Planetside 2 so far.

Staab

New patch just came out earlier and it adds... WATER* !

BnGZQ2WCYAEIESI.png

Looking quite good ;)

*in the form of oceans, no rivers / flowing water yet and it's not interacting with players either

Iadien

Just a heads up. SOE updated the FAQ and there will be a hard wipe between closed beta and open beta, previously they were stating otherwise.

Iadien

Got another 7day ticket, but don't really see the point if there's going to be a wipe. I'll wait till open beta.

Pretty much, I had very little motivation logging in, now I have none. They'll be adding some cool shit over the next couple of months, but I'll wait for open beta to jump back in.

iosefe

Got another 7day ticket, but don't really see the point if there's going to be a wipe. I'll wait till open beta.

is that up for grabs?

i mean, i know there will be a wipe, but i would love to enjoy it before it's filled with other people's stuff. i got used to it with starbound, i can get used to it with this

JesseZao

is that up for grabs?

i mean, i know there will be a wipe, but i would love to enjoy it before it's filled with other people's stuff. i got used to it with starbound, i can get used to it with this

It's tied to my account, sorry. I think I got a code the first time, but I can't recall for sure.

Have you opted-in? With the way they do these limited beta invites, I figure every person will get one that wanted one.

iosefe

It's tied to my account, sorry. I think I got a code the first time, but I can't recall for sure.

Have you opted-in? With the way they do these limited beta invites, I figure every person will get one that wanted one.

i'm in, got in yesterday. so you get codes randomly for extended time?

JesseZao

i'm in, got in yesterday. so you get codes randomly for extended time?

I guess. They probably just think they can hook more people into paying to beta test by only giving out weeks at a time. I like the game, but I'm not going to pay for it in its current state for little to no reward.

iosefe

I guess. They probably just think they can hook more people into paying to beta test by only giving out weeks at a time. I like the game, but I'm not going to pay for it in its current state for little to no reward.

open Beta is definitely going to be a different beast, and i'm excited for that.

Top Bottom