• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Everybody is trowing the word racist around without thinking about what that means.

"a person who shows or feels discrimination or prejudice against people of other races, or who believes that a particular race is superior to another."

*shrug* The conceit of your thread kind of doesn't stand when you consider that the definition is not locked to how you understand it. The only way this stands is if you selectively choose which dictionary definition you use. It also stands for you to be anal to the point that words start and end with one meaning in this context. You speak of people "not knowing what the word means," yet you seem disinterested in examining the multiple valid definitions and instead choose to employ your personal philosophy to pick which definition is right and which definition is wrong.

Language evolves, and the concept of commonality of language transcends textbook definitions found in dictionaries.

Evolve with it or stay mad, I guess.

Dunki asks questions yet has no answers.

That's because his answers don't hold up in even a weak breeze. He takes a page right out of the playbook by always being on the offensive, making others explain their position, and then switching the question so it seems like he's always the one putting you on your back foot.

You could literally set a clock to how often he trots out the same, misdirecting tactic.

RefigeKru

Banned
That's because his answers don't hold up in even a weak breeze. He takes a page right out of the playbook by always being on the offensive, making others explain their position, and then switching the question so it seems like he's always the one putting you on your back foot.

You could literally set a clock to how often he trots out the same, misdirecting tactic.

Yeah, Zog is doing that in the other thread at the moment - it's so obvious though. Great thing about this influx as of late is - I know I'm smarter simply because I research before I post (i know so much more than a month ago) and if this is the best they got? lmao

rochet

I feel like at least here in the U.S. that people are lot less racist but more classist. I feel like classist is the new racism, and people put the two topics together. i know its a made up word but thats how i feel.

RefigeKru

Banned
I feel like at least here in the U.S. that people are lot less racist but more classist. I feel like classist is the new racism, and people put the two topics together. i know its a made up word but thats how i feel.

1) Classism is real
2) Your claim is not entirely accurate, yet also not entirely inaccurate.

joecanada

Calling Elizabeth Warren Pocahontas is absolutely racist there is no reason to do so but to demean her based on her heritage.

Relativ9

Why would we care?

(shrug)

Racism isn't going anywhere soon. Why bother with them at all?

Because if you don't you concede the fight and open the door for things to get worse? If you don't want to make things better why are you even here, debating this?

This guy has some good reflections on this issue:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqUaEJLfrLo

And he's talking about the alt-right, I'm not even talking about them. I'm talking about the people who hate the alt-right just as much as a lot of the people on the far-left do, but get lumped into the same catagory. Towards the end of the talk he gets a bit wishy washy with motivational style gibberish, but some good points anyway.

"a person who shows or feels discrimination or prejudice against people of other races, or who believes that a particular race is superior to another."

*shrug* The conceit of your thread kind of doesn't stand when you consider that the definition is not locked to how you understand it. The only way this stands is if you selectively choose which dictionary definition you use. It also stands for you to be anal to the point that words start and end with one meaning in this context. You speak of people "not knowing what the word means," yet you seem disinterested in examining the multiple valid definitions and instead choose to employ your personal philosophy to pick which definition is right and which definition is wrong.

I'll concede that one of the definitions for "racist" is a bit broader and that weakens my point somewhat. Funnily enough the definition of "racism" fits what I would regard as the classic and most widely emblematic definition. And my point wasn't that people didn't know what the word means, my point was that people didn't think about what it meant when they used to term so loosely, they don't realize that they're actually taking away the power of the word and minimising the horror of true racism.

Dunki

Meanwhile even here people call other people who were braids and are not black racist. Meanwhile people arguing over white people wearing getting a photograph in a Kimono in front on an Monet picture and call it racist. Meanwhile a white sushi chef changing the recipe is considers racist.

And yes I agree with your first definition But these examples have nothing to do with it. Stereotyping in general is not racist. It becomes racist when you present these stereotypes in manner that makes you superior because you are white, black or whatever.

No...not really.

A family member presented me with this stupid-ass scenario over the holidays as a genuine question:

Without seeing their resumes, or assuming they have the exact same qualifications, would you rather hire an Asian math tutor or a black one?

(We are not Asian or black btw)

I told his dumb ass how racist, and stupid, that was and he insisted that it wasn’t because “Asians are just better at math, so it makes sense to hire the Asian tutor”.

It’s not always about making yourself/your race seem better. ‘Positive’ stereotypes can be/are racist and still hurt and damage people.

Dunki

No...not really.

A family member presented me with this stupid-ass scenario over the holidays as a genuine question:

Without seeing their resumes, or assuming they have the exact same qualifications, would you rather hire an Asian math tutor or a black one?

(We are not Asian or black btw)

I told his dumb ass how racist, and stupid, that was and he insisted that it wasn't because ”Asians are just better at math, so it makes sense to hire the Asian tutor".

It's not always about making yourself/your race seem better. ‘Positive' stereotypes can be/are racist and still hurt and damage people.

Actually the difference between math education in Countries lie Korea or China is on another level. So even you would be decent in Korea you still could get to the top in America. So what would I do? It all depends want I want. First of all I need to know if the asian did learn in America or in Asia. Then I need to know which country, And then I need to decide If I want someone who I think would fit the school system or the school best. Do I want him maybe for expert classes? Then I would probably take the one who was educated in Asia. If he is black or white or whatever I would not care.

That wasn’t the question, though. The question was would you blind hire the Asian tutor or the black one. And he insisted that the Asian tutor was the correct choice, because he’s a stupid ass racist lol.

Dunki

That wasn't the question, though. The question was would you blind hire the Asian tutor or the black one. And he insisted that the Asian tutor was the correct choice, because he's a stupid ass racist lol.

No I would not. But stereotyping is still something that carries some truth in it. Example:

Mexicans are often sterotyped as lazy. truth there is some kind of siesta and I can only speak about Spain but in Spain it is really hot so that in summer they close shops making long noon breaks everywhere. My guess its the same in Mexico as well because of the weather.

German: Eating Bratwust and Sauerkraut while drinking beer in Lederhosen, Also some kind of truth for a certain time of the year in a certain place in Germany.

So would I call them racist? No rather uninformed and manipulated. So instead of calling them racist I would try to explain where the truth in this stereotype lies and that you should not generalize people because of it. But es you also can call them an asshole and the other party gets more and more into a defense position.

Mexicans in the U.S. are stereotyped as hard working, doing all the shitty jobs that Americans don't want to do, sending money home, and living 10 to single room apt. There are nasty stereotypes that I wont get into and a lot of it is racist.

Spaniards are stereotyped as lazy in the U.S. This is just ignorance.

Columbians are pegged as drug pushers, and it's based on racism due to how the perceptions come about.

daniell

Language evolves, and the concept of commonality of language transcends textbook definitions found in dictionaries.

Evolve with it or stay mad, I guess.

A radical left wing minority doesn't get to decide this no matter how much they infiltrate education.
There is no better example for this than the recent redefining of the word racism to mean basically "anyone can be victims of racism...well except white people" which a small group of radicals honest to god actually use and try to sell as legitimate all while they willfully and knowingly ignore that their new definition itself is textbook racism.

Dunki

Mexicans in the U.S. are stereotyped as hard working, doing all the shitty jobs that Americans don't want to do, sending money home, and living 10 to single room apt. There are nasty stereotypes that I wont get into and a lot of it is racist.

Spaniards are stereotyped as lazy in the U.S. This is just ignorance.

Columbians are pegged as drug pushers, and it's based on racism.

So stereotypes also change based on the country you are living in. Interesting

To me Mexican stereotype was always the sleeping "fat" one with a huge sombrero. At least how it was portrayed here. Italians are the womanizer etc. AS I said there is always some truth to these stereotypes but often in a totally wrong context or only one group of people etc.

krazen

No I would not. But stereotyping is still something that carries some truth in it. Example:

Mexicans are often sterotyped as lazy. truth there is some kind of siesta and I can only speak about Spain but in Spain it is really hot so that in summer they close shops making long noon breaks everywhere. My guess its the same in Mexico as well because of the weather.

German: Eating Bratwust and Sauerkraut while drinking beer in Lederhosen, Also some kind of truth for a certain time of the year in a certain place in Germany.

So would I call them racist? No rather uninformed and manipulated. So instead of calling them racist I would try to explain where the truth in this stereotype lies and that you should not generalize people because of it. But es you also can call them an asshole and the other party gets more and more into a defense position.

Nigga, they don’t siesta in Mexico, lol. Their workday is pretty much Americanized. On top of because of their heavy use as cheap day laborers in the US taking jobs that effectively got priced away from Americans because they are paid below minimum wage because of their status (we can make a separate anti immigtation argument that if they werent such a cheap/effective resource those businesses would find a way to pay livable wages to Americans tho, im neither here nor there). You will be hardpressed to find a ‘lazy’ Mexican in the US without exteme medical issues...you don’t risk ya life to cross the border and stay in hiding just to be lazy

Your post is an example of how off base stereotypes are. It assumes that there are no mediocre korean students, lol. Imagine if I was in Europe and I automatically gave any American a job in my security firm because ‘They are all know how to shoot guns’ lol. There would be hella dead clients

Dunki

Nigga, they don't siesta in Mexico, lol. On top of because of their heavy use as cheap day laborers in the US taking jobs that effectively got priced away from Americans because they are paid below minimum wage because of their status (we can make a separate anti immigtation argument that if they werent such a cheap/effective resource those businesses would find a way to pay livable wages to Americans tho, im neither here nor there). You will be hardpressed to find a ‘lazy' Mexican in the US without exteme medical issues...you don't risk ya life to cross the border and stay in hiding just to be lazy

Your post is an example of how off base stereotypes are. It assumes that there are no mediocre korean students, lol. Imagine if I was in Europe and I automatically gave any American a job in my security firm because ‘They are all trained to shoot guns' lol. There would be hella dead clients

For Korea. No That is not true however if you are decent or bad in Korea this still could mean that you are good or decent in America. Since the level of complexity of math problems is way higher in Korean schools. But this has nothign to do with your race but rather with the differences in the education system.

krazen

For Korea. No That is not true however if you are decent or bad in Korea this still could mean that you are good or decent in America. Since the level of complexity of math problems is way higher in Korean schools. But this has nothign to do with your race but rather with the differences in the education system.

You’re telling me that if you’re a D to failing student in Korea you’re a B+ to A in America? I find that hard to believe.

I believe in the clear superiority in Korean schools, But that clear superiority can’t beat dyslexia, etc...of which you would have a large swath of since you’re dealing with a population of millions.

The problem is “on average” isnt a reliable barometer when dealing with people on a one to one basis. On average Americans are the most obese in the world, that doesnt mean the random american application I recieve at an international modeling firm looking for euro-skinny models I am going to throw away because odds are she’s going to be a plus sizes model. There are much other variables at play (a person trying to be a mainstream model will have a certain weight because unfortunately her career depends on it, same way a person aspiring to be a mathematician will have a certain level of math regardless of background) in addition to the fact that there’s hella random factors when pulling out one person from a specific populace/culture

Dunki

You’re telling me that if you’re a D to failing student in Korea you’re a B+ to A in America? I find that hard to believe.

I believe in the clear superiority in Korean schools, But that clear superiority can’t beat dyslexia, etc...of which you would have a large swath of since you’re dealing with a population of millions.

The problem is “on average” isnt a reliable barometer when dealing with people on a one to one basis. On average Americans are the most obese in the world, that doesnt mean the random american application I recieve at an international modeling firm looking for euro-skinny models I am going to throw away because odds are she’s going to be a plus sizes model. There are much other variables at play (a person trying to be a mainstream model will have a certain weight because unfortunately her career depends on it, same way a person aspiring to be a mathematician will have a certain level of math regardless of background) in addition to the fact that there’s hella random factors when pulling out one person from a specific populace/culture

Yes there are odds but these odds are pretty big in terms of education for example. And as I said If the guy got the same grades in Korea while the other one got the same grades in America I would clearly chose the one from Korea If I wanted an expert.
This would be the first I would interview and if It shows that he would not fit the atmosphere , team etc. I would call the American guy but only then.

krazen

Yes there are odds but these odds are pretty big in terms of education for example. And as I said If the guy got the same grades in Korea while the other one got the same grades in America I would clearly chose the one from Korea If I wanted an expert.
This would be the first I would interview and if It shows that he would not fit the atmosphere , team etc. I would call the American guy but only then.

If thats the case we’ve got a world where a turkish mathematician standa no chance because anyone with a korean name is assumed to be better, lol.

appaws

Banned
Calling Elizabeth Warren Pocahontas is absolutely racist there is no reason to do so but to demean her based on her heritage.

Hmmm....her "heritage." Ok.

Hating Native Americans is racist. Making fun of Elizabeth Warren for LARPing as one is not.

Reallink

The same goes for the cries over ”reverse racism" by the way, even if it was the case that no white people were nominated for the Grammies to make a political statement as opposed to because they didn't happen to be good enough this year, would at best be discriminatory. And by the way, this is ridiculous, would you say the same thing if no black artists were nominated? Or would you simply conclude that probably no black artists happened to be good enough this year in the subjective opinion of the judges?

Statistically speaking, black males account for ~6-7% of the US population, much lower if you factor in Canadian and British demographics as many artists originated there. So yes, 3 out of 5 nominations in a climate of #OscarsSoWhite probably warrants a sideways glance. Mathematically, it's much more plausible "no black artist happened to be good enough this year" than the reverse.

Meanwhile even here people call other people who were braids and are not black racist. Meanwhile people arguing over white people wearing getting a photograph in a Kimono in front on an Monet picture and call it racist. Meanwhile a white sushi chef changing the recipe is considers racist.

And yes I agree with your first definition But these examples have nothing to do with it. Stereotyping in general is not racist. It becomes racist when you present these stereotypes in manner that makes you superior because you are white, black or whatever.

As the definition shows, the word does not require a feeling of superiority. You can't agree with it and then decry a certain aspect of the definition.

And Dunki, given some of the rather problematic things I have seen you say recently, I am inclined to say that your view on 'ism's is skewed.

Statistically speaking, black males account for ~6-7% of the US population, much lower if you factor in Canadian and British demographics as many artists originated there. So yes, 3 out of 5 nominations in a climate of #OscarsSoWhite probably warrants a sideways glance. Mathematically, it's much more plausible "no black artist happened to be good enough this year" than the reverse.

But that is what typically happens? Math is not something that sticks to such rigidity. It is possible, especially in the situation where black men may also be a greater percentage than 6-7%, for this to happen. Something that happens only 10% of the time still has the possibility of occurring.

Hmmm....her "heritage." Ok.

Hating Native Americans is racist. Making fun of Elizabeth Warren for LARPing as one is not.

So to be clear, it would be okay if Trump called someone claiming to have African lineage the n-word?

T.v

I think that trying to pin racism to a single definition is doing a great disservice to a complex issue. But I do agree that the current trend of throwing the word around is worrisome. And correct me if I am wrong, but that is an issue that seems very America centric. Unsurprising with the current climate, really.

krazen

The problem is that for X amount of years where a minimum amount of blacks, whites and basically no asians won

Obviously we can argue about an overcorrection, but it seems odd considering for the history of the Oscars where it was def. slanted towards white males/females no one saying a peep outside the marginalized groups even though by those same stats you mentioned there should be a steady stream of minority winners in all the categories

So we are at a place where everyone is like OMG, VIRTUE SIGNALING CUCK BULLSHIT
the second the pendulum swings one way when they were silent for the decades when it was in their favor.

It makes me think its about less then being fair (this could just be a blip and maybe the odds came down where a bunch of black artists actually did great work this year) and more about ensuring the old biases continue

No. Because the N-word is a racial slur. Pocahontas is not.

So what you're saying is that Native American leaders are not authorities on whether a word is a slur.

(and by the way, just because Pocahontas is being used against a woman whose heritage is questionable, and just because Pocahontas was not a slur at one point in history, does not mean it is not a slur today)

Neither is calling you a tiny dicked sack of resentment in a body shaped like a garbage bag of failure and sadness but I'm still pretty sure it's offensive, rude and insulting all the same.

Or it could just be your fucking wrong because your brain tries to choke itself daily but has no hands so it mostly holds it's breath to cut off the blood supply.

Ubername

Banned
Neither is calling you a tiny dicked sack of resentment in a body shaped like a garbage bag of failure and sadness but I'm still pretty sure it's offensive, rude and insulting all the same.

Or it could just be your fucking wrong because your brain tries to choke itself daily but has no hands so it mostly holds it's breath to cut off the blood supply.

*its

Does no one care about the English language these days?

*its

A good rule of thumb when it comes to pedantry is that the moment you do it, you're going to open yourself up to mockery from someone who can be even more pedantic about your posts.

(also that resorting to pedantry is kind of childish lol)

*its

If the most worthwhile thing you've ever posted is a correction to apostrophe syntax online, maybe you should care less about the English language and focus more on the empty husk you call a life.

i-Lo

So after checking Politifact it looks like Elizabeth Warren's roots are bereft of paper trail but given context in key this was the only time I can recall aside from Obama where his derision pertains to the heritage of another. In addition, given his drive to propel the birther movement, anyone feigning that Trump isn't a racist POS is either ignorant or willfully ignorant or indifferent or servile or subscribes to his racist world views.

While Pochahantas is not a slur, his intent was to denigrate her based on race and no less in front of native americans.

A radical left wing minority doesn't get to decide this no matter how much they infiltrate education.
There is no better example for this than the recent redefining of the word racism to mean basically "anyone can be victims of racism...well except white people" which a small group of radicals honest to god actually use and try to sell as legitimate all while they willfully and knowingly ignore that their new definition itself is textbook racism.

I see that you have chosen the option to stay mad. Tell me how that works out for you.

Say what you will, but pedantry has it is charms.

To which I reply:

hes-right-you-know.jpg

Dunki

If thats the case we’ve got a world where a turkish mathematician standa no chance because anyone with a korean name is assumed to be better, lol.

turkish education is already done . They fired or arrested 100k teacher this year and they also abolished the topic of "evolution" from schools.

appaws

Banned

Masterful.

Dunki

As the definition shows, the word does not require a feeling of superiority. You can't agree with it and then decry a certain aspect of the definition.

And Dunki, given some of the rather problematic things I have seen you say recently, I am inclined to say that your view on 'ism's is skewed.
I can not agree with this because it is beyond ridiculous. Example Kimono. Even if you ask Japanese people on the streets in Japan they will disagree that this is racist. Quite the opposite there in one guy who is called That Japanese Man Yuta who asked the question in Japan and NO one agreed that this was racist. Instead they were happy that people like Japanese culture and they love it when non Japanese people where Kimonos

Same with whitewashing issues and Ghost in the Shell. They thought Scarlet fits perfect to the role because of her look.

So what me bothers here is hat Asian American who are not even Japanese try to speak for Japanese people while having no cue how they think or feel.

Braids are another example. The first signs of Braids were found in Greece, Vikings had braids etc. This is not something Black people own. Also I believe no one owns anything.to begin with. A race can not claim something their own and not let allow people to not use it.

Same with food. Food evolves and it also develops from the taste of People living in the country. Example: PizzaPasta in Germany it was changed to fit the taste of Germans and there is nothing wrong with it. Chinese original food has nothing to do with real Chinese food anymore in Germany as well.

So yes I would even argue tha tAsian Americans calling this racist would be even more insulting to people living in Asia since they do not speak for them nor do they share the same opinion.

Euphor!a

Banned
I can not agree with this because it is beyond ridiculous. Example Kimono. Even if you ask Japanese people on the streets in Japan they will disagree that this is racist. Quite the opposite there in one guy who is called That Japanese Man Yuta who asked the question in Japan and NO one agreed that this was racist. Instead they were happy that people like Japanese culture and they love it when non Japanese people where Kimonos

Same with whitewashing issues and Ghost in the Shell. They thought Scarlet fits perfect to the role because of her look.

So what me bothers here is hat Asian American who are not even Japanese try to speak for Japanese people while having no cue how they think or feel.

Braids are another example. The first signs of Braids were found in Greece, Vikings had braids etc. This is not something Black people own. Also I believe no one owns anything.to begin with. A race can not claim something their own and not let allow people to not use it.

Same with food. Food evolves and it also develops from the taste of People living in the country. Example: PizzaPasta in Germany it was changed to fit the taste of Germans and there is nothing wrong with it. Chinese original food has nothing to do with real Chinese food anymore in Germany as well.

So yes I would even argue tha tAsian Americans calling this racist would be even more insulting to people living in Asia since they do not speak for them nor do they share the same opinion.

What were those alt-right ideas you liked so much again?

Dunki

What were those alt-right ideas you liked so much again?

yeah please tell me. These ideas because I never said anything like that. I think I said it before my views do not follow a certain party or ideology. I have various opinions on various topics.

Euphor!a

Banned
yeah please tell me. These ideas because I never said anything like that. I think I said it before my views do not follow a certain party or ideology. I have various opinions on various topics.

Oh, so you only support some alt-right ideas? Which ones?

Dunki

Oh, so you only support some alt-right ideas? Which ones?

If we go this route....

The most alt right stand I probably have is I support Death penalty for 100% proven planed murder. If you willingly and planed executed someone you have lost the right of a human being in my opinion.

The other one these days would be a much stricter immigration law in Germany. Personally I would love to have one like Canada. Which means much much less immigration but then these immigrants will also be supported in the right way.

Here right now they just some in get money and being left alone. Not learning the language etc and creating more and more parallel worlds..

Left would be I support legalizing of weak drugs like weed. I suppor gay marriage, I support transgender rights etc.

Euphor!a

Banned
If we go this route....

The most alt right stand I probably have is I support Death penalty for 100% proven planed murder. If you willingly and planed executed someone you have lost the right of a human being in my opinion.

The other one these days would be a much stricter immigration law in Germany. Personally I would love to have one like Canada. Which means much much less immigration but then these immigrants will also be supported in the right way.

Here right now they just some in get money and being left alone. Not learning the language etc and creating more and more parallel worlds..

Left would be I support legalizing of weak drugs like weed. I suppor gay marriage, I support transgender rights etc.

Supporting capital punishment is not an alt-right idea, just a generic conservative idea. You said there were some alt-right views worth listening to, which ones?

krazen

Supporting capital punishment is not an alt-right idea, just a generic conservative idea. You said there were some alt-right views worth listening to, which ones?

And thats the thing. Nobody is mad at conservatism; small gov, little taxes, etc. Its a viable important political view.

This alt-right stuff? LOL.

Dunki

NO I said.... And I do not know how often I have said this.,..

That you need to understand where the alt-right or better racist people come from. Why they have these ideas what they really feel because it is much more complext as I hate black people just because.

And when you actually understand/know these you can do something to solve these problems. Not understanding why people have racist thoughts and just isolating them is not helping to change their minds it is not helping to end racism. And that is why people need to talk like in the video.

Euphor!a

Banned
NO I said.... And I do not know how often I have said this.,..

That you need to understand where the alt-right or better racist people come from. Why they have these ideas what they really feel because it is much more complext as I hate black people just because.

And when you actually understand/know these you can do something to solve these problems. Not understanding why people have racist thoughts and just isolating them is not helping to change their minds it is not helping to end racism. And that is why people need to talk like in the video.

Better racist person? Is that how you describe yourself? You're not one of those alt-righters, you're a "better racist person"?

Well please, better racist person, tell me what I can do to make you a better less racist person.

Top Bottom