• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolve 23 min Kraken gameplay

Nyx

What's with all the negativity?

Oh well, I think this looks awesome and will definitely buy.

Altima

My only fear is that this game will be Titanfall 2 (or 3).

Because this game seem to be enjoyable with only multiplayer and it seem to have only one mode.

the fights are so endlessly drawn out and a clusterfuck of revives/fighting the dropship timer

l4d was so beautiful because fights could be over in seconds with good coordination (pull one away with the smoker, pounce a second, send in the boomer when they try to come save their teammates etc)
infected could all die very fast (but shooting the boomer could backfire horribly)

The fights are much longer yeah, but they are also much more strategic, which is the point of the fights being longer in the first place, to allow strategies to develop in them (hard to do if one of the two sides die in 3 seconds).
Stuff like trying to trap the monster with the harpoons and dome, using the vertical terrain to your advantage, ambushing the monster with turrets, baiting the monster and then using invisibility, separating people with abilites to break their sinergy, know when to run away to recover health, and when it's better to stay and attack depending on cooldowns and dropship coming, etc.
It looks a clusterfuck, but lots of games look a clusterfuck until you learn them after a few days of play.

I really had zero interest in this game until now. That video really looked fun though if you have some friends to play this with who actually work together. This one is definitely on my radar now.

Might be what will push me to get the XBO version, since most of the people I play with are on that platform. However, they're generally from GAF, so I could probably find people to play with elsewhere here regardless of platform.

But this game will likely be horrible for randoms/solo. If you don't like multiplayer, you'll likely want to skip on it.

Because this game seem to be enjoyable with only multiplayer and it seem to have only one mode.

12+maps, 3 very different monsters (4th as Day 1/preorder DLC; I know, i know), 12 very different hunters (3 subclasses to each class), and there will be more than one game mode.

Titanfall is doing pretty damn good right now by the way on XBO.

Sorc3r3r

Seems cluttered, the monster covers a lot of the screen, too much maybe, and the interactions with the environment are close to zero, the game action seems fun, i hope that the whole concept doesnt evolve (lol) in a hunt to the medic over and over again.

There are different monsters and several hunter classes in the game, each one with different abilities and weapons and ways of playing, so even if there is only a single mode, it should be "meaty".

It's a factor that people forgets when they compare it with Left 4 dead. In L4D there weren't any classes! Everyone had the same speed, health, weapons pool, and they didn't have aiblities (except you know, the universal revive). There has to be more synergy and depth here with 8 classes of hunters, all with their unique stuff.

Andrain18

Banned
Played in the Alpha last week. Let me say this about the game, Not as good as they're hyping it up to be. Maybe it is only due to it being only in alpha when i played it. Playing as the monster was a lot of fun. That's to be expected though with a new twist on gameplay. I think the people i played with sucked and the voice chat system is awful, they’re just annoying as fuck, couldn't mute them and i don’t give two shits about playing with them. I played through both Left 4 dead games by myself so not having a single player option kinda sucks ass. When the game starts it is you running for 5 minutes chasing the pings that the monster sets off. There needs to be fun stuff happening aside from fighting the monster because you're never fighting the monster 100% of the time. so far it's a bland shooter with so so mechanics. The idea is awesome but personally i feel that it needs a bit more. Mind you again i only did the Alpha but even so damn near a demo of the game and some people only give a game a demo worth of play.

MilesTeg

Banned
That video was quite boring. The monster doesn't seem fast enough or something. It's special attack was also too drawn out. And too much fighting against weakling AI, that stuff in particular seemed really meh.

Still think the premise has a lot of promise, but I wasn't impressed by that vid.

Man I hope this thing is better with your hands on it because that looked boring as all hell.
Couldn't even watch the whole thing.

Omega

Banned
Guys, guys..

Games are usually way more fun when you actually play them instead of watching/reading about them.

release-the-kraken.gif

yeah looks bad but i'm also not convinced that the idea works, more often than not the teams will be very imbalanced.

How so? So far the only class I've seen any concern for is the Lazarus medic, and that is remedied by eliminating him from the get go or luring him in with a killed teammate and locking out his heals.

Altima

Guys, guys..

Games are usually way more fun when you actually play them instead of watching/reading about them.

I hope they will release Beta for everyone before they release the game.

There is no way I will buy this game on day one if I haven't got my hand on this game before.

What's with all the negativity?

Oh well, I think this looks awesome and will definitely buy.

It's a full price multiplayer only game with essentially 1 game mode.

It looks very fun to play a few times but eventually, when you're doing essentially the same rinse and repeat (revive, trap monster, decrease health) you realise all you're doing is playing endless boss battles.

Widge

Interesting, from just viewing the video I "get" what the vibe is with the monster. Reminds me of childhood "chase" games, the adrenaline rush where you are the one outnumbered by the catcher, with a delicate balance between the need to win the game yet not be seen.

I can see Stage 1 & 2 of the monster phase being filled full of tension as you power yourself up, and then the rousing finale as you attempt to turn the tables.

The game looks like it has a lot of phases to make it fun. The hunt for the evolving monster, the defense of the generator as the tables are turned. Plenty of moments where doom for either side is averted.

Seanspeed

Banned
Hard to read just watching the match. Looks like it might be fun. Or frustrating. Or tedious.

Will definitely be giving it a hands on at EGX.

Applebite

Seems like the kinda game you need to play for yourself to get a decent impression of. I'm hoping there's gonna be a public beta or something.

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
It's a tedious game. Seriously. As the humans you run in a forest for 5-10 minutes and get whooped up by the monster if the monster has any idea what to do. The weapons all feel like pea shooters and there is nothing to really do aside from follow blips in the beginning. There needs to be more...grinding? Hunting? Going on. I was never sold on the idea but after playing it this is definitely a pass and see if it goes f2p.

foxdvd

I still don't get this game. I understand people saying until you play it you don't know. I only see one game mode. They keep saying there is more to show, but the game comes out in October...why the secrecy? Unless there is a significant mode that equals something like Left 4 dead, and not just some sort of bot mode, I will wait until more hands on reviews come out.

I suspect this is going to be a game that was better off shipping at a different time of year.

It's a tedious game. Seriously. As the humans you run in a forest for 5-10 minutes and get whooped up by the monster if the monster has any idea what to do. The weapons all feel like pea shooters and there is nothing to really do aside from follow blips in the beginning. There needs to be more...grinding? Hunting? Going on. I was never sold on the idea but after playing it this is definitely a pass and see if it goes f2p.

Unfortunately this is the vibe I got just watching videos, and yet the press was very positive on it at E3. Kinda weird.

ElRenoRaven

I suspect this is going to be a game that was better off shipping at a different time of year.

Have to agree. Game looks interesting but August comes Diablo. Then September comes Destiny. Then there is TWD season 1 & 2 on PS4/xbone. Then you have the Master Chief Collection coming in November. Then god knows what else everyone else is releasing. It's just way too crowded for this game to be coming out in this release period.

Experien

Seem to be Only on XBOXONE. Sadly, I have only PS4 and PC.

They say beta is exclusive to Xbone but 9 times out of 10, the word exclusive just means not on Playstation/Nintendo. I mean the Alpha was on PC. I'd find it hard to believe the beta wouldn't be on PC.

This games need to be released at a lower than $60 price or show off a super awesome mode that will blow people away.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Oh yeah, now I remember why I thought this was the most interesting next gen game when it was first unveiled. Hype restored. Jesus christ this game looks amazing.

VanWinkle

I was really hyped for this at one point, watching every piece of media that cane through, but I've really lost interest knowing that it's a full-priced game with such a small amount of content.

Deadbeat

Banned
Looks like a variant of Left 4 Dead. I honestly dont see the complaints. Just because you got burned on Titanfall (another multiple E3 award winner) doesnt mean this game will be the next wet fart.

Top Bottom