• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolve 23 min Kraken gameplay

calder

I won't bother watching because I just watched a Eurogamer stream of the Kraken, but it looked kinda boring to me too. I think the monster side may be tough to demonstrate in a video because it's all just running away and hiding and then cramped combat that seems too annoying to be much fun.

Experien

Maybe if the moster looked and played something like this? Could be a interesting torn of event for the hunters.

predator.jpg

AVP had that mode in their game...play as a Predator and can find weapons to upgrade. Kill to get points. If you get killed, the player who did it becomes the Predator. It was great!

sixghost

I hope the way that guy was playing isn't representative of what the game is like. Chasing a big bullet sponge for 25 minutes while it runs away doesn't seem fun.

I regret wasting my precious time "sleeping" during the weekend.
Hopefully there will be another phase on PC. If not, I'm getting in the Xbone beta anyway. Going to be easy pickings.
As someone who also played in the alpha... completely disagree. It was such a refreshingly unique game, hadn't had tensions run that high in a game since the early days of L4D.
Yep. I kept thinking back to the first time I played L4D at the moment it unlocked and experiencing that with friends.

-Deimos

I hope the way that guy was playing isn't representative of what the game is like. Chasing a big bullet sponge for 25 minutes while it runs away doesn't seem fun.
The monsters have a steep learning curve, don't base your opinions on a video with a new player. Same goes for the hunters, most new players will spend the entire round trying to follow the monster's trail instead of cutting it off.

Has potential to be amazing, but balancing is going to be so important.

Right now, fights seem a bit too drawn out, and stealth seems OP as hell. Still, im looking forward to it.

Lucent

Just seems like a game I could rent and forget. There's just too much coming out with more to do to buy this outright. Doing the same thing over and over just doesn't seem like it has lasting appeal when it's just, well, this.

Kinyou

It looks interesting, but I don't know how much fun the constant chasing and running away will be. Honestly also hoped that the map would be bigger. (Though maybe it just seems smaller through the monsters perspective)

-Deimos

It looks interesting, but I don't know how much fun the constant chasing and running away will be. Honestly also hoped that the map would be bigger. (Though maybe it just seems smaller through the monsters perspective)

It does seem pretty small as the monster. I constantly felt like I might accidentally run into the hunters while looking for food.

As a hunter, the map size seems fine.

Maybe it has to be played, because yeah I'm not feeling it just watching the videos, they should release a demo.

I'm thinking this is the type of game that has to be played to be understood.

The SDCC live demo was so good because the players were all randomly selected from the crowd (they had to have played the demo beforehand [the Xbox Hyatt Suite]). So it was that energy of unknowing. It was fucking amazing.

This thread, is why we can't have nice things.

I'm pretty sure/hopeful you're joking...it DOES look quite boring to me too. Nothing wrong with people not liking what they're seeing. If it looked like fun, we'd be saying that too. We're not obligated to say it looks great just because they gave us a long video :p

At first this game did pretty much nothing for me, but that gameplay vid with the Kraken looks really fun. I might just buy it after the game drops in price / after I've seen some reviews.

Do we know how many playable monsters there's going to be in the finished game?

Gaz_RB

Looks badass! Seems like a really unique multiplayer game and I'm looking forward to it!

*reads rest of thread*

oh.

Chobel

At first this game did pretty much nothing for me, but that gameplay vid with the Kraken looks really fun. I might just buy it after the game drops in price / after I've seen some reviews.

Do we know how many playable monsters there's going to be in the finished game?

3 monsters at launch.

Wasn't there another shooter with the same concept?

Was it Get Even?

I remember it saying the player controlled boss would be like a machine or something?

might be good for them. Looks like this game needs alot more work, did they say why it was delayed?

No. I wasn't in the Alpha, but it was a really crowded month despite the other delays, move-ups. With Destiny in September and CODAW + Halo MCC in November, it doesn't leave much room for the game to breathe. At least in February there isn't any major multiplayer releases, despite that the aforementioned three will likely still be healthy community-wise.

Has potential to be amazing, but balancing is going to be so important.

Right now, fights seem a bit too drawn out, and stealth seems OP as hell. Still, im looking forward to it.

Matches tend to be 10-15 minutes, and really depends on how each side plays. Monster is all risk/reward play, and Hunters is strategic communication. Typically IMO you want to focus on Medic, Trapper, Support, and Assualt in that order.

My issue thus far with the game aside from the lack of map and match content being shown (there's 12 maps, so show us more than the one!) is how weird things look from the monsters perspective. I'm not sure if the POV between first-person and third-person can be changed, but I don't like how tiny the hunters look in the out-of-body viewpoint of the monster.

However, I haven't played it so it may look just fine on my monitor/television.
No, still 3.

4 counting the Day 1 DLC/preorder bonus. Even if for instance I don't have access to the monster, I can still play against someone who owns it and is utilizing it in the match since there will be no fragmentation with the DLC in the game. So it may as well count despite the BS involved.

ph00p

Banned
Bullet sponges are the lamest lazy video game trope ever, this game is killing a player controlled bullet sponge.

Also that video was really boring for the most part.

Only one person can revive a hunter(medic class) that can go to shit fast if you've got a medic who is a friend of one guy and just ignores the other 2 hunters. So many ways for this game to go bad.

-Deimos

4 counting the Day 1 DLC/preorder bonus. Even if for instance I don't have access to the monster, I can still play against someone who owns it and is utilizing it in the match since there will be no fragmentation with the DLC in the game. So it may as well count despite the BS involved.

*Receive a free download of the new monster character as soon as it’s available.

I don't think the 4th monster will be available right away. Also, the developer confirmed it on the official forums.

Andrain18

Banned
I thought there was a bunch of environmetal and wild life stuff happening and to look out for when hunters are chasing the monster. I remember watching some tournaments around E3, where hunters would fall into a plant trap and other hunter would have to free them, or stumble aross some large widlife, or get trapped/atacked by something in the water. Also getting special perks from killing this wildlife. Can also set traps for the mosters etc. seems to me that there is more than just chasing the moster. Or was all that removed from the alpha?

There is a plant or two that you might, *Might* fall into. Also indigenous wildlife is almost nonexistent. i'd say 8/10 games there is no PvE interaction throughout. I want to love this game as i did L4D but the Alpha was just so stagnant and boring.

Really like the concept but the gameplay from this video looks unrefined. Almost as if the player is fighting with the camera and movement controls.

D i Z

As time goes by, my interest has dropped to being almost nonexistent. Moving it out of this year might have been the smartest thing that they could do for this title.

I think watching from the monsters perspective past level 2 isn't doing it any favors. All you can see are health bars in the soup of shadows, ground effects, icons and effects on the monsters back.

majik13

The extra time is to polish the existing content we haven't seen yet, not to add more.

what is the source on this? Also I would think the pre order DLC monster as existing content. Since it has been announced and planned for a good while. I wouldnt image that they planned to have preorder DLC launch 5 months after release.

Unicorn

AVP had that mode in their game...play as a Predator and can find weapons to upgrade. Kill to get points. If you get killed, the player who did it becomes the Predator. It was great!

AvP was great. I loved it hard, but matchmaking was so bad and the demo was the worst mode to do that it killed the community - much like Twisted Metal would later do.

I just want to play both of those games. :(

Having to kill creeps to level up/heal looks very unexciting and breaks momentum from the tense 4 humans vs a monster feel.

-Deimos

what is the source on this? Also I would think the pre order DLC monster as existing content. Since it has been announced and planned for a good while. I wouldnt image that they planned to have preorder DLC launch 5 months after release.

Official forums. The devs post there frequently and answer a lot of questions.

I don't think so. Would be cool if we could, but the delay is to polish what we have, not to move on to new content. Doing so would create more work, more bugs, more stuff to polish, and ultimately put the new date at risk.

Biff

Hope this doesn't count as a necro-bump! My apologies if it does!

Finally got around to watching this gameplay. I can see why it was under NDA, as it is in 'true' alpha state. As a general rule of thumb, however, when you resort to paying Youtubers to get some artificial hype going right before you announce the delay of your game... Yeah... That's a terrible sign.

Anyways, I decided to cancel my preorder. The game looks like a disaster right now, and I can't see a solution to many of the serious issues I have with the design of the game. For example, 20+ minute matches where there's a combined 5 minutes of fighting? That's what happens when you make a game that encourages camping, and when a fight finally breaks out, it encourages fleeing from the fight. This is my single biggest issue with the game.... And that IS the game.

The level design seems atrocious as well. You can't make levels with so many tight spaces, then have a bubbleshield mechanic on top of it to completely screw it up further. The monster's camera was laughably bad, but I suspect this will get better as the game progresses towards beta.

To cement my decision, one of my biggest gaming pet peeves was front and center in the posted video: cancelled animations. I sincerely HATE this with a passion. And that's a major mechanic in preventing the monster from dealing damage to the reactor? What??? How did that ever leave the brainstorm session? How did that even get proposed at the brainstorm session? smh.

Top Bottom