• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolve 23 min Kraken gameplay

They say beta is exclusive to Xbone but 9 times out of 10, the word exclusive just means not on Playstation/Nintendo. I mean the Alpha was on PC. I'd find it hard to believe the beta wouldn't be on PC.

This games need to be released at a lower than $60 price or show off a super awesome mode that will blow people away.

Needs to? Hunt looks pretty fun, though yes, it will need more than that to be worth a buy.

So far the majority of people who've played have had a good time it seems. Only seen two opinions (one here and some other guy a while back that I doubt actually played) walk away disliking or disappointed in it.

How were the Alpha opinions ? If the beta is XONE only the chances of me buying it decrease a lot.

Alpha folks were under NDA, but most seem to have enjoyed it a lot. They probably didn't play anything other than what has already been shown though.

Curious: How does the beta decrease your purchase, especially if you're asking for how people received the alpha? Just do what you're doing now when the beta comes out and see how people are receiving it. Just keep in mind that its probably not going to be for people who dislike multiplayer.

Haunted

That video didn't convince me despite the bought positive Youtuber doing his best to sell the game.

The idea of asymmetrical MP is intriguing, but I think it looks really messy and confusing in fights, with the camera shitting out half the time.

Also I really don't like the colour scheme and environmental design in the level shown.

The Cowboy

Not liking the look of this gameplay at all, it just looks really messy (can't think of a better way to put it), hopefully they adjust how it looks when you play as a monster.

Deadstar

I really like the concept and thought of playing as a monster, but hunter gameplay is not something I'm looking for. Also the thought of DLC monsters rubs me the wrong way.

If the game forces you to switch sides after each match, then there's no way I would want to buy it.

It doesn't. You can play one match then leave.

Maybe if the moster looked and played something like this? Could be a interesting torn of event for the hunters.

predator.jpg

Altima

I wonder if all the people being negative, are the same people that were hating on destiny.

I love Destiny because I have already had my hand on it.

Evolve is different. I will not have my hand on the beta because I will not buy X1 any time soon. This make me have a lot of question about this game.

Also 3 monsters and only one multiplayer mode is meh?

I wonder if all the people being negative, are the same people that were hating on destiny.

Doubt it i think these two games appeal to different kind of gamers. Evolve is a competetive game for people who likes MOBA's, CS and CoD. Destiny is more of a MMO, RPG players game. (Yes i expect alot of hate)

After playing it, 3 seems acceptable.

Of all things, the monsters and the hunters are probably in the best position with the variety in play between them that I've seen thus far.

It's modes and maps, especially modes, that are going to hurt this game if they don't deliver. 12+ maps sounds good, but hopefully the variety is there that we're seeing with the player classes. Modes...there just needs to be more to it than Hunt and a campaign.

Papacheeks

Banned
Yea, I played the Alpha over the weekend, liked how the game played and looked.

But I think it will be a issue where after you've logged couple hours on most if not all the maps, for just one mode, it's going to get boring quick.

And I am against paying full price for online only game that has very few added modes or value.

I feel like this game could REALY benefit from a 40 or 30 dollar price tag. It looks like a ton of fun, but IM not sure there is enough content to justify a 60 game.

majik13

Played in the Alpha last week. Let me say this about the game, Not as good as they're hyping it up to be. Maybe it is only due to it being only in alpha when i played it. Playing as the monster was a lot of fun. That's to be expected though with a new twist on gameplay. I think the people i played with sucked and the voice chat system is awful, they’re just annoying as fuck, couldn't mute them and i don’t give two shits about playing with them. I played through both Left 4 dead games by myself so not having a single player option kinda sucks ass. When the game starts it is you running for 5 minutes chasing the pings that the monster sets off. There needs to be fun stuff happening aside from fighting the monster because you're never fighting the monster 100% of the time. so far it's a bland shooter with so so mechanics. The idea is awesome but personally i feel that it needs a bit more. Mind you again i only did the Alpha but even so damn near a demo of the game and some people only give a game a demo worth of play.

I thought there was a bunch of environmetal and wild life stuff happening and to look out for when hunters are chasing the monster. I remember watching some tournaments around E3, where hunters would fall into a plant trap and other hunter would have to free them, or stumble aross some large widlife, or get trapped/atacked by something in the water. Also getting special perks from killing this wildlife. Can also set traps for the mosters etc. seems to me that there is more than just chasing the moster. Or was all that removed from the alpha?

Krakn3Dfx

Nope, loved Destiny from what I played of the beta.

Played a bit of the Evolve alpha, game still has a lot to prove before I'm in on it. Not saying it's good or bad, just saying I need to see more.

It doesn't. You can play one match then leave.

That ruins these games, though. You'll go from 4v1 to 3v1 or less next match because there's always people who prefer one over the other.

I guess a lot of the annoyance will be avoided depending on how they implement their multiplayer stuff, but it will still be a bummer when it happens.

Probably because it's so dark and the youtube compression but it looks like it has some camera issues at the moment with the monster. Looks like a lot of fun though. Very much looking forward to it.

KingJolly

Banned
This game looks amazing, its going to be a sleeper hit you can bet on it.

I've watched many videos from E3 tournaments and such. The maps are amazingly huge and diverse, brimming with nature like thick jungles, cliffs and rivers. The real cool thing about it is the wildlife, the world actually feels alive. You have to be careful or you'll get eaten by carnivorous plants or crocodile type monsters or attacked by territorial monkey like creatures, its not just the big monster that you have to worry about.

All this games needs is a lot more monsters and a few more hunters and I'll gladly give $60

How this game won any E3 awards by game journalists is beyond my understanding.

How this game receives so much hate of GAF is beyond my understanding.

This game looks incredibly fun and unique. A game the combines competitive multiplayer with uneven teams as well as AI threats to both teams. Combining an FPS with a radically different control scheme for each monster. Also ending this whole 1 to 3, maybe 5 seconds at most engagements we get in most competitive multiplayer games and turning it into a game of attrition (each time you die as a hunter you return with less health when you get picked up, the monsters all have a regenerating shield but their health itself does not regenerate). Honestly that may be the most intriguing part to me, the attrition and how that changes your entire mindset when you engage. And then at the end of the day, all you need is yourself and four friends.

Huh, funny you should say that. I was one of the people hating on Destiny but am really interested with this. Still probably going to get Destiny for more options with friends (I found it decently fun, just not amazing).

What does destiny have to do with this game?...
nothing

mmo lite halolands vs competitive asynchronous multiplayer game

Lol, you sure pulled that out of your ass. I never compared the 2 games and how they play.

People were hating hard on Destiny and never played it. Same thing going on with Evolve. Game is getting a lot of hate from people who never played it.

SGRX

I think this game is going to be enjoyable, but I can see there being balancing issues between the monster/hunters, and I don't really see the monster gameplay being all that engaging overall. I also don't think the game is going to have enough replay value at $60, but I will almost definitely pick it up when it drops a bit.

Trickster

Maybe it's because of the youtube compression, but even at 1440p I could hardly make out a single fucking thing in that map. It's so goddamn dark. And the godawful camera doesn't help.

Pejo

My biggest impression (as the monster) was that everything seems very difficult to see. It seems like during the frantic gameplay you'd be aiming for the life bars instead of actually seeing any of the things you're attacking. Also the moves just didn't seem fun to use, and none of the attacks had "impact".

This is definitely one I want to try before I write it off though.

Deadstar

That ruins these games, though. You'll go from 4v1 to 3v1 or less next match because there's always people who prefer one over the other.

I guess a lot of the annoyance will be avoided depending on how they implement their multiplayer stuff, but it will still be a bummer when it happens.

I can't go into detail because I am under a strict NDA after playing the alpha, but they have an answer to this type of problem.

If they gave you options for queueing up before matchmaking, that would solve the problem right there.

Top Bottom