• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolve Game Informer Details

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Wait this has bots? Awww yesssss. I am sold 100% now. Will love doing friendly matches with buddies and the bots.

Just like L4D was!

Yeah like 8 years ago or whatever. There are freemium games more fun with more content than L4D nowadays. Dead trigger, anyone???

Edit: remember Zombies which is was a throwaway mode of COD is essentially F2P if you have the black ops game. So full price for this game is just stupid.

I'm not one for online only games usually, but this sounds really fun. count me in.

It's not online only. You can play as a single person on the team of 4 or as the monster.

Yeah like 8 years ago or whatever. There are freemium games more fun with more content than L4D nowadays. Dead trigger, anyone???

Edit: remember Zombies which is was a throwaway mode of COD is essentially F2P if you have the black ops game. So full price for this game is just stupid.

Yeah once I installed that water slide at my home pool I've never gone to a water park since.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I hope this ends up being as cool as it sounds. Can't wait to see gameplay!

Just a question about GAF in general. I'm a Junior Member but I can't post threads. It says he's a Junior Member. I'm just curious! :)

Evolve looks/sounds terrific!

Jaded as fuck.
Maybe I want a new game with new graphics and 30 foot tall monsters.
That's why I bought a Ps4. If I wanted to play CoD forever I would have stayed on Xbox.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
This mode sounds like a lot of fun but I hope there's a significant number of others. I want to play this but $60 is a bit steep for what we know right now.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Only 4 players? Pre-order cancelled!

;)

I love what they are trying to do with this game. Hopefully they pull it off!

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Dman, i hope there will be a demo. Cause if it's as fun as it sounds... i might have to buy it.
A demo is a really good idea. A lot of people aren't familiar with games like this, and a demo could really push sales.

OneUh8

This sounds sooo interesting and fun to play. I can't wait to see more. Really liked L4D versus and stuff.

sunnz

Any idea of ADS or will it be like L4D aiming.

Either way I am not fussed but I do prefer ADS to be an option.

Doffen

I want this. Will be a blast with friends on XBOX ONE.

Don't know why people feel like announcing their platform

LtOrange

I hope the matches last longer once people get a hang of the mechanics. The hunting aspect really interests me and I would like it take some time. Matches lasting 30 minutes for a experienced group of players would be perfect.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
This definitely sounds cool. I'm looking forward to seeing some footage, especially of the fully evolved monster.

The Lamp

Your tag is appropriate.

Don't think the games don't have content. L4D came out 5 years ago, L4D2 came out 4 years ago. Both all sold very well, the second still does. L4D2 itself has a crapton of free mods, has many different game modes including one that used to change every week, it has like over 10 campaigns that can be played on these multiple game modes, and it has many different zombies to play as.

Even L4D1 with 4 campaigns and only 4 playable infected, I had over 300 hours of gameplay in that game in just a few months. Every time you play it is different.

They more than have the right to charge full price for their game. It's a game. They haven't even revealed most of the content of the game yet.

Qvoth

At the start can use basic punch attack, leap long distances and climb walls
Has 4 special abilities, can choose 2 at level 1, gets one more at each level
Charge Attack, Leap Attack, Rock Throw, Fire Breath

Let's speculate the abilities the alien will receive
We know of flame breath from op, I bet there will be invisibility
Some kind of lunge attack ala l4d hunter
Some brute muscle type power, either l4d tank or l4d charger

i am a prophet!

Squire

Banned
This sounds awesome. Like it's going to be REALLY fun.

One thing confuses me though. Automatic running when you're not shooting?

You can't stop and stay still?

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Every time i see 'Turtle Rock' my mind keeps going to Turok.

This.

Also this game looks fantastic. L4D is a great series as well, excited what they do with a game dedicated to next gen hardware on Cryengine 3.

Looks like a winner.

duckroll

I think it sounds interesting, but also very different from the dynamics of L4D. In L4D, the stage is usually more fun for the survivors because they're playing through the level, while the fun for the infected is in finding ways to really set up things which fuck their progress up with cool powers.

With Evolve, from what is described it sounds like the complete opposite. The hunters will be the ones who are trying to stop the solo monster player from "completing" the stage. This means there's no active stage for the human players to actually "complete", instead they are literally hunting for a player who is trying to do so (and it sounds like it could be in a totally non-linear way since it's more about eating wildlife, hiding, evolving, and then completing the final objective).

As such, on paper right now it sounds MUCH more fun to play as the monster than as the human players since you get both the benefit of playing as the unusual character with lots of more interesting abilities, as well as the one playing through an objective driven stage, while the other players have to try to hunt you and shoot you.

One way I can see this really working is if there's a "tournament" mode of sorts were 5 players play a total of 5 rounds, with a different player as the monster in each round, and the winner would be the one who manages to survive the longest and/or with the most points.

Riposte

I think it sounds interesting, but also very different from the dynamics of L4D. In L4D, the stage is usually more fun for the survivors because they're playing through the level, while the fun for the infected is in finding ways to really set up things which fuck their progress up with cool powers.

With Evolve, from what is described it sounds like the complete opposite. The hunters will be the ones who are trying to stop the solo monster player from "completing" the stage. This means there's no active stage for the human players to actually "complete", instead they are literally hunting for a player who is trying to do so (and it sounds like it could be in a totally non-linear way since it's more about eating wildlife, hiding, evolving, and then completing the final objective).

As such, on paper right now it sounds MUCH more fun to play as the monster than as the human players since you get both the benefit of playing as the unusual character with lots of more interesting abilities, as well as the one playing through an objective driven stage, while the other players have to try to hunt you and shoot you.

One way I can see this really working is if there's a "tournament" mode of sorts were 5 players play a total of 5 rounds, with a different player as the monster in each round, and the winner would be the one who manages to survive the longest and/or with the most points.

This is how it was done in Resident Evil 6's Predator mode, where a group of players took turns playing a boss character against the others pretty much. This dynamic is pretty interesting, because it leads to a sort of passive-aggressive style of play. You need your allies if you want to stop the current monster from getting too many points, but you also don't want them to do better than you as hunters (like you may want them to lose points by dying, if that's the case). Also, watching them as hunters informs you how to play as a monster.

duckroll

This is how it was done in Resident Evil 6's Predator mode, where a group of players took turns playing a boss character against the others pretty much. This dynamic is pretty interesting, because it leads to a sort of passive-aggressive style of play. You need your allies if you want to stop the current monster from getting too many points, but you also don't want them to do better than you as hunters (like you want want them to lose points for dying, if that's the case). Also, watching them as hunters informs you how to play as a monster.

Oh I was thinking of the scoring mechanic being tied to the monster only. I think that would balance it out because there would be zero reason to backstab any teammates when playing as a hunter, since everyone would want to stop that player as quickly as possible.

keuja

It seems that they're incorporating some neat MOBA like design elements with the wildflife thing which is good. I've played over a hundred hours of L4D so I'm hopeful this concept will grab me as much as their previous one.

Yea makes me think of those warcraft3/star craft 2 mods where you make your beast evolve by eating other criters.

Top Bottom