• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Exclusive Invitation for an Xbox One Alpha Trial [Titanfall]

Mononoke

Banned
Now that half of you are browsing crappy unauthorized cellphone pics...

TO BE EXPLICIT:

All textures in this Alpha Test build are at 25% of the final game's resolution. So if you're staring at a 256x256 texture, that's actually a 1024x1024 texture in the real game. 512? That's a 2048. It's a huge, huge, huge difference. Especially on terrain, weapons, cockpits, hands, effects, etc.

There's a reason the build is under NDA. It's not for showing off, or giving people a fair idea of what the game looks like, or for pixel counting. You'll still have your chance to scream "lolz pixels lazy devs Goldeneye N64 lololololol", but now is not the time.

(Well; menu images are probably full res.)

That's good to hear. Because I'm actually playing it on my HDTV, and the graphics had me worried. But this is great news. Can't wait for the final build. The game is incredible to play, it's easily some of the most fun I've had in a long time in a multiplayer shooter. I can tell people are going to be floored by this game.

Glad my faith that the final build would look much better is vindicated.

Alienous

He works at Respawn.

puss_in_boots_ooooh_cat_by_kaza_mori-d4ll1dx.gif

Doesn't explain the overall resolution and geometry

R3TRODYCE

TO BE EXPLICIT:

All textures in this Alpha Test build are at 25% of the final game's resolution. So if you're staring at a 256x256 texture, that's actually a 1024x1024 texture in the real game. 512? That's a 2048. It's a huge, huge, huge difference. Especially on terrain, weapons, cockpits, hands, effects, etc.

There's a reason the build is under NDA. It's not for showing off, or giving people a fair idea of what the game looks like, or for pixel counting. You'll still have your chance to scream "lolz pixels lazy devs Goldeneye N64 lololololol", but now is not the time.

I wish I was staring at a 256x256 texture...

Thanks for the clarification.

Funny how even though it says multiple times "This build is for testing network functionality, and does not represent the final quality of the game", that quickly gets ignored.

It gets ignored because claims like that are rarely true.

However, because this is Respawn we're talking about, I'm inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Where did you get this info? and it's 1/16 = 6.25% not 25%.

This made me lol

Caayn

Thanks for the clarification.

Funny how even though it says multiple times "This build is for testing network functionality, and does not represent the final quality of the game", that quickly gets ignored.
Maybe that's partly to blame to the twitter fuck-up from this week regarding access to the alpha/matchmaking test/gameplay god knows how many times they gave it a different name.
I got something Dyer and Gies didn't? Is this what cosmic justice feels like?
Cosmic justice indeed. And just to clarify a bit more I didn't get a code either.
So did all battlefield owners get in or not? I haven't got an email so I guess it doesn't matter at this point. :(
Nope, got BF3 and BF4 both with premium (among a boat load of other EA games) tied to my origin account(which is tied to my gamertag) and didn't get a code. But I think that I didn't met their country requirement.

T.O.P

Banned

TO BE EXPLICIT:

Dayum good to hear

That's good to hear. Because I'm actually playing it on my HDTV, and the graphics had me worried. But this is great news. Can't wait for the final build. The game is incredible to play, it's easily some of the most fun I've had in a long time in a multiplayer shooter. I can tell people are going to be floored by this game.

Glad my faith that the final build would look much better is vindicated.

Go to the website on your email. They tell you lot's of stuff about this version, and why it looks like it does. Hit that link in your email.

Jarrod38

TO BE EXPLICIT:

Plus this game is running on the Source engine.

see5harp

It gets ignored because claims like that are rarely true.

However, because this is Respawn we're talking about, I'm inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt.

While that is definitely true, as early as 6 months ago, BF4 beta had done the same thing with the XBOX 360 beta. That along with a few people making crazy theories about the xbox one horsepower being the limiting factor in Respawn's decision for 6v6 games in that other godforsaken thread makes me wonder why Respawn even bothers clarifying.

Plus this game is running on the Source engine.

that by itself doesn't mean anything at all.

TO BE EXPLICIT:

All textures in this Alpha Test build are at 25% of the final game's resolution. So if you're staring at a 256x256 texture, that's actually a 512x512 texture in the real game. 512? That's a 1024. It's a huge, huge, huge difference. Especially on terrain, weapons, cockpits, hands, effects, etc.

bueno.

double-dipping re-confirmed.

are people allowed to talk about the game at all? (I mean since ppl posted tweets). I can assume no screenshots etc cause its a network test alpha. But gameplay would make sense right?

you are free to say it's fucking awesome.

Ishan

are people allowed to talk about the game at all? (I mean since ppl posted tweets). I can assume no screenshots etc cause its a network test alpha. But gameplay would make sense right?

Rayme

(Of ffs, I'm a moron. I gave examples that were 8x, not 4x. Sigh. Long day. Here's the post again, now with numbers that aren't lies from the pits of hell.)
------------

TO BE EXPLICIT:

All textures in this Alpha Test build are at 25% of the final game's resolution. So if you're staring at a 256x256 texture, that's actually a 512x512 texture in the real game. 512? That's a 1024. It's a huge, huge, huge difference. Especially on terrain, weapons, cockpits, hands, effects, etc.

Ghazi

Are you guys kidding me? We've seen a lot of/most Xbox One games come out to be at least 30 or 40+ GB and you're saying "the graphics haven't been downgraded, this is final!" In an alpha that is 4 GB.

lol

LOL you people never cease to amaze

hawk2025

While that is definitely true, as early as 6 months ago, BF4 beta had done the same thing with the XBOX 360 beta. That along with a few people making crazy theories about the xbox one horsepower being the limiting factor in Respawn's decision for 6v6 games in that other godforsaken thread makes me wonder why Respawn even bothers clarifying.

...because they want people to buy and play their game? Seems kind of obvious :p

Are you guys kidding me? We've seen a lot of/most Xbox One games come out to be at least 30 or 40+ GB and you're saying "the graphics haven't been downgraded, this is final!" In an alpha that is 4 GB.

lol

textures don't take up significant disc space, haven't you heard? :p

TO BE EXPLICIT:

thanks for confirmation :)
game is amazing

Mononoke

Banned
Go to the website on your email. They tell you lot's of stuff about this version, and why it looks like it does. Hit that link in your email.

Of course, I read it when I signed up. But hearing some of the replies on here, and my own ignorance of how texture resolution/texture size work and game file size, I was unsure. Glad to see it confirmed directly.

E92 M3

I will not get hyped for Titanfall

Some of my favorite mp games were the ones I least excepted/was not hyped -- COD4 and Halo 2, and Gears 1. Now with this game, I am really hyped unfortunately.

I will not get hyped for Titanfall.

evilalien

(Of ffs, I'm a moron. I gave examples that were 8x, not 4x. Sigh. Long day. Here's the post again, now with numbers that aren't lies from the pits of hell.)

You actually gave examples that were 16x not 8x. :)
I'm happy to see a corrected post though.

Grief.exe

lol

Its time we start thinning the herd on GAF.

Vire

This is why we can't have nice things, no one ever does alphas for a reason. It's always a "beta" that might as well be a demo because people will complain about it not being polished.

Oh well.

lol

Yeah, I have a "silly to slightly mad" GAFfers list and have added several names to it because of this thread for future reference.

malfcn

I wanting to see something that knocks my socks off. Then I'll be in for a collectors edition. Right now I am day one though.

On way home to catch up on the hype. What's with the cheese.. To go with ask the people whining?

Top Bottom