• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

External HDD for Xbox One improves load times!

I only ask because 4s are super cheap right now.

I am getting ready to buy a new external for XBO as I need more memory in my Wii u and will be using my WD 1TB that's on my XBO right now.

mike4001_

I only ask because 4s are super cheap right now.

I am getting ready to buy a new external for XBO as I need more memory in my Wii u and will be using my WD 1TB that's on my XBO right now.

There is no reason why a 4 TB drive should be slower than e.g. a 3 TB drive.

Actually it should be faster as the data is packed denser als so while rotating with a constant speed you would read more data at the same time :)

Prologue

Do external hard drives help with installation times as well? Curious since X1 seems to install and download games at the same time. Could it be possible that the default HDD can't keep up with a +100mbps connection?

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Got the 2TB Seagate HDD and it just turns off and on by itself almost every day. I even turned it to its side so it could be cooled down better but it still does it. I'm so bummed my external for the XB1 isn't even reliable. :(

theDeeDubs

I got a 2TB WD Elements this week. Seems to work well but it has this annoying quirk of slowing blinking when my XB1 is off. From what I've read this is its standby mode light. Might have to break out the electrical tape. Funny thing is I can hear it over my XB1 when nothing is playing or on.

I finally have almost hit the cap on XB1 after a year and deleting some games. I'm at 22GB free, but will be getting MCC and Unity soon...

So, I've been looking at these two drives based on everything said in this topic and in others. I have Prime, and Amazon seems to have the current cheapest prices on these

Seagate Expansion 2TB for $82 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00834SJU8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Or

WD My Book 2TB for $99 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E3RH5W2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I don't mind about the price, both are pretty close to each other, I just wanted to know impressions for people who have and use each on XB1. I read that some people have had issues with some drives on their XB1 with it not recognizing the devices?

Any help is GREATLY appreciated

I'm interested in a 2tb or 3tb Toshiba Stor.e Hard Drive, like the one they used in the Digital Foundry article.

However, my concern is: if a USB-powered hard drive is left plugged into an Xbox One all the time, would that damage/degrade it faster? My Xbox is on a good few hours a day, as I watch TV through it, the kids play games on it and I also play games at night.

I had thought that external hard drives were mainly designed for backup, and only really to be plugged in to your laptop or desktop for use when needed, then put away. If they're powered on for 5-6 hours a day, several days per week, can they take that? I don't have any idea, just wondering...

Journey

Banned
I finally have almost hit the cap on XB1 after a year and deleting some games. I'm at 22GB free, but will be getting MCC and Unity soon...

So, I've been looking at these two drives based on everything said in this topic and in others. I have Prime, and Amazon seems to have the current cheapest prices on these

Seagate Expansion 2TB for $82 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00834SJU8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Or

WD My Book 2TB for $99 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E3RH5W2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I don't mind about the price, both are pretty close to each other, I just wanted to know impressions for people who have and use each on XB1. I read that some people have had issues with some drives on their XB1 with it not recognizing the devices?

Any help is GREATLY appreciated

Those are externals with an ac adapter, personally I like the smaller HDDs that only need USB for power, less heat too I'm pretty sure. Not etirely sure if it affects the bone with it's power draw though, but I doubt it's an issue. I believe most HDDs stop spinning/drawing power unless data is being accessed, but someone else may correct me.

Check it out, WD makes good stuff too:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DULWSXI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Mr E.

I'm interested in a 2tb or 3tb Toshiba Stor.e Hard Drive, like the one they used in the Digital Foundry article.

However, my concern is: if a USB-powered hard drive is left plugged into an Xbox One all the time, would that damage/degrade it faster? My Xbox is on a good few hours a day, as I watch TV through it, the kids play games on it and I also play games at night.

I had thought that external hard drives were mainly designed for backup, and only really to be plugged in to your laptop or desktop for use when needed, then put away. If they're powered on for 5-6 hours a day, several days per week, can they take that? I don't have any idea, just wondering...
Hi I bought the same drive. There's a setting to power off drive when in standby mode. I use that. Not sure if that helps. Mine has has worked fine. Only had it for about a month but it seems great.

Azlan

Western Digital MyBook all the way: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E3RH61W/?tag=neogaf0e-20 (the model I use)

Not sure what the performance difference is between powered and non-powered drives, but I don't think so many drives require AC adapters superfluously.

I am in the market for an external hard drive with all of the game releases this fall. Do you think it would be ok to set the MyBook on its side? I am not sure if it would fit in my entertainment center standing up. I don't know if there is any indication on the device telling you one way or the other, but thought I'd ask just in case.

eastx

I am in the market for an external hard drive with all of the game releases this fall. Do you think it would be ok to set the MyBook on its side? I am not sure if it would fit in my entertainment center standing up. I don't know if there is any indication on the device telling you one way or the other, but thought I'd ask just in case.

I can't find a definitive answer for that online. There are no vents on the side, so it shouldn't prevent air from escaping. The only issue would be if laying on its side somehow prevented heat from rising and escaping properly. Wish I knew a better answer for you.

Azlan

I can't find a definitive answer for that online. There are no vents on the side, so it shouldn't prevent air from escaping. The only issue would be if laying on its side somehow prevented heat from rising and escaping properly. Wish I knew a better answer for you.

No problem. Thanks a lot for looking. I appreciate it!

I think I will go for it, in any case, since it seems like a reliable brand and I like that it has it's own power supply.

ShapeGSX

Those are externals with an ac adapter, personally I like the smaller HDDs that only need USB for power, less heat too I'm pretty sure. Not etirely sure if it affects the bone with it's power draw though, but I doubt it's an issue. I believe most HDDs stop spinning/drawing power unless data is being accessed, but someone else may correct me.

Check it out, WD makes good stuff too:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DULWSXI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

That is a 5400RPM drive. Banjo Kazooie's drives were 7200RPM.

JP

There are load of threads on here and it's not really worth starting a new one for such general question. Is a standard USB 3.0 cable sufficient to power a hdd or is a Y cable needed?

Ade

There are load of threads on here and it's not really worth starting a new one for such general question. Is a standard USB 3.0 cable sufficient to power a hdd or is a Y cable needed?

IIRC for the XB1 it HAS to be an externally powered USB3 drive

New002

Hey...are you guys still able to download updates to your externals even with the "turn external drives off" function turned on?

I ask because I have read that this works, and I am able to download games and demos while my console is off and that box is ticked, but for some reason updates don't want to install. Anyone else have a similar issue?

I bought a Seagate 4TB Backup Plus Fast portable hard drive today. It's the fastest 2.5" USB powered mechanical drive you can get, I believe, with read/write speeds of around 230 MB/s. There's actually 2 hard drives in the case in raid 0 - maybe that's why it's fast too, I dunno.The difference in loading times was immediately noticeable, even over the 7,200 RPM external I was using previously. It's expensive though.

jesu said:
Can anyone confirm they will work?
Yeah, they will definitely work. If it's a 2.5" drive it will work without external power. It's the 3.5" drives that require a power supply of their own. I've had 2 different 2.5" externals for my Xbox One now and they both work via USB power. The current 2.5" external I'm using has 2 drives in raid 0 inside the case and even that works via USB power.

Hey folks, I skimmed a few topics and haven't really found an answer...

Is there a consensus 1 or 2 external drives folks are recommending? I'm at 92% space used on my XBOX right now, hoping to fix that soon, but don't know a thing about USB 3.0/SSD/RPMs.

Syrus

Banned
Hey folks, I skimmed a few topics and haven't really found an answer...

Is there a consensus 1 or 2 external drives folks are recommending? I'm at 92% space used on my XBOX right now, hoping to fix that soon, but don't know a thing about USB 3.0/SSD/RPMs.

3TB or 2 TB Seagate Expansion, these are 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache Drives - they improve the times on everything because they are faster

I got my 3TB for 100 or less , http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TKFEEJ4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

otherwise google 7200 RPM external drives. Been using this for over a year now

Top Bottom