• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

External HDD for Xbox One improves load times!

Bsigg12

Must not have seen that. That's bizarre and unfortunate. That means I can't even use my 240GB SSD (not that I would, since it's in my PC, but still).

Should a 256GB flash drive work? Just curious.

Not really bizarre when we have games above 40GB already.

Chettlar

Banned
Not that strange looking at the sizes of current day games.

Maybe not quite as strange as I may have made it seem, but still strange. What if have a bunch of movies that I don't want to keep on my Xbox, and I've got a 80GB thumbdrive?

Or, perhaps more relevant, what if I have a 180GB SSD I want to use (since SSDs are really expensive)? This prevents me from doing that, even though I could potentially put like five, six, seven games on that.

Same guy I believe that did the Raid 0 tests, did some with SSDs and they pretty much match Raid 0.
http://directxbox.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=524

Surprised the SSDs aren't doing too well comparatively. But these games weren't really made to take advantage of that. Oh well.

Do "USB powered" drives always use 2.5" drives? Conversely, do "separately powered" drives typically use 3.5" drives?

Or do I always need to Google for specs?

If it's USB powered, then it's a 2.5" drive. If it has a separate plug, then it's a 3.5" drive. I've never seen an exception to this.

golem

Seagate 2TB SSHD 3.5" w/ USB 3.0 dock

Forza (Freeplay on Prague, Lotus F1, 7 AIs)

Stock: 40.40 sec. SSHD: 27.08 sec.

Thief (Continue game to South Quarter)

Stock: 28.38 sec. SSHD: 24.91 sec.

KI (Jago vs Saberwulf AI on Tiger's Den)

Stock: 15.08 sec. SSHD: 14.55 sec.

Ryse (Solo Arena Oasis)

Stock: 1:34:08. SSHD: 1:06.79

aaaaa0

Surprised the SSDs aren't doing too well comparatively. But these games weren't really made to take advantage of that. Oh well.

Console games tend to be optimized to do lots of large sequential reads, which is optimal for a spinning mechanical disk (optical or magnetic).

Only poorly designed console games will do a lot of random I/O, which is what SSDs are good at compared with mechanical disks.

So it makes sense the SSD doesn't buy you as much as you're expecting.

statham

I rather have a usb powered drive if it shows improvements, even if not as much as 3.5 drives but maybe close. Someone has to have a passport drive around? Please. :)

edit: my theory and others have posted, its the separate OS and games being on different drives that are why we are seeing increases.

Edit2: or If someone can do 5400/5900/7200 tests.

statham

Use an external SSD and get back to us.

SSD been tested and show the same as Raid 0, we need SSD vs single 7200 and 5400, looks like SSD is not a big jump, just very minor.

I know once I get the results I need to purchase, amazon is going to raise the prices due to demand, I just know it. Very tempted to just gamble.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
I'm going to guess that it comes down to access time and read frequency. R0 will perform early as well as cheaper SSDs 512+ SSDs will probably perform significantly better than 256 GB SSDs so I imagine they will perform better than R0.

The caveat though is I've been talking about only two drives stripped together when talking about R0.

WHAT YOU PEOPLE NEED TO DO IS STIPE 4 512 GB SSD TOGETHER 0_o

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Thief (Continue game to South Quarter)

Stock: 28.38 sec. SSHD: 24.91 sec.

KI (Jago vs Saberwulf AI on Tiger's Den)

Stock: 15.08 sec. SSHD: 14.55 sec.

Ryse (Solo Arena Oasis)

It's almost as good as the first time we had NXE installs on the 360.

lockload

Was discussing this on reddit, Most modern SSDs max out at 500MB/s, SATA2 supports 300MB/s so an SSD is probably overkill as a raid solution that get close to 300MB/s will be just as good?

Has anyone tried one of those hybrid SSD/HDD drives?

Syrus

Banned
anyone got any watch dog load time comparison with 7200 HDD? preferable Seagate expansion?

I wonder if death reload times are faster

USC-fan

Banned
SSD been tested and show the same as Raid 0, we need SSD vs single 7200 and 5400, looks like SSD is not a big jump, just very minor.

I know once I get the results I need to purchase, amazon is going to raise the prices due to demand, I just know it. Very tempted to just gamble.

Being external and going through usb3 really goes against the gain on a ssd. The usb controller is likely the bottleneck.

USB 3.0 is likely slower than sata 2 so i hope in the future they would let us replace the hdd with an SSD.

Was discussing this on reddit, Most modern SSDs max out at 500MB/s, SATA2 supports 300MB/s so an SSD is probably overkill as a raid solution that get close to 300MB/s will be just as good?

Has anyone tried one of those hybrid SSD/HDD drives?
0 seek time is what made ssd famous. Even on stat 2 i dont think anything will max that out that why a lot of people dont even mess with sata 3.0. You would not likely notice a different. Really what can write at 500MB/s?

lockload

Being external and going through usb3 really goes against the gain on a ssd. The usb controller is likely the bottleneck.

USB 3.0 is likely slower than sata 2 so i hope in the future they would let us replace the hdd with an SSD.

Nah usb3 is way faster than sata2 at least at standards level, sata2 itself is not fast emough to support the full speed of an ssd (300MB/s vs 500MB/s for an SSD)

Ive had two people tell me different thing on the usb3 connection actually piggy backing on the sata2 channel and someone else saying this is not the case

0 seek time is what made ssd famous. Even on stat 2 i dont think anything will max that out that why a lot of people dont even mess with sata 3.0. You would not likely notice a different. Really what can write at 500MB/s?

Read speed i thnk

USC-fan

Banned
Nah usb3 is way faster than sata2 at least at standards level, sata2 itself is not fast emough to support the full speed of an ssd (300MB/s vs 500MB/s for an SSD)

Ive had two people tell me different thing on the usb3 connection actually piggy backing on the sata2 channel and someone else saying this is not the case

That all depends on the USB controller.

I could be faster or it could not be. Seeing really no improvement with sdd leaves me to believe the controller is at its peak performance.

lockload

That all depends on the USB controller.

I could be faster or it could not be. Seeing really no improvement with sdd leaves me to believe the controller is at its peak performance.

yes i guess so ill probably get a fast 3.5" hdd in a usb3 enclosure when i need one

It depends on the external drive but this is an easy test. I have a seagate 3 tb external and a 3 tb internal, both at 5400 RPM with 32 mb cache (on my PC as extra drives). The read times are faster on the internal vs the external by a decent margin and the write times are much much slower on external vs internal.

Can you use external drives on PS4? or are you using the PC numbers? if the last, then it is irrelevant.

I've read some PS4 tests (games) and only SSD's are really fast for a big change (20 seconds or so ), mechanical and hybrid drives are more on less the same than Xbox One using external drives.

In regards to the X1 externals people testing reporting the speed enhancements may be on 7200 external drives ... there's a few external SSDs out now but they're really expensive.

You can change the internal drive in Xbox One too, but you lose the warranty. I don't care about internal drive because:

- My Xbox One boot on +/- 5 seconds or less
- I have an external drive, I don't need more space in the internal drive.

statham

What made you pick the externally powered drive?

I've read a ton of reviews and one stuck with me, (I'll try to find it tomorrow), it said the fastest usb powered drive would still lose to a average desktop external drive by 30 something mps? , its in my history, so I'll look it up tomorrow.

Syrus

Banned
Syrus, I joined you brother, just bought a 2tb seagate expansion. it'll be here in 3 days.

My 3tb should be here tonight, Stoked!!! What's your gamer tag? You can pm me it if you want.

Mines LanceX2 , I play any kind of game really

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
My 4TB SSHD came. Its enclosed in a USB 3.0 UASP enclosure.

I'll run some tests between this, external HDD and the standard HDD in the XB1.

Lima

Watch Dogs initial loading time isn't that much better with a SSHD compared to a regular external.

It's always around 61-63 seconds. I didn't test the game on the internal though. I imagine it's at most like 10 seconds quicker as seen with other 3rd party games which don't seem to benefit from external drives as much as the exclusive stuff does for some reason.

What I do noticed though is that each time you die in Watch Dogs the loading screen gets quicker. I didn't time it yet but the SSD caching is doing it's thing.

statham

Got my harddrive and moved the games over, only tested Forza, but it made a huge difference. Drive(expansion) is working well, Xbox picked it up as soon as I plugged it in. I can't hear it either, I know some can, but in my setup, bottom shelf below the speakers, I can't. So far, so good.

Got in on the preview update today. Probably going to grab a drive over the weekend.

Does anyone have a suggestion for external HDD that they carry at Target? Got some gift cards so it'd be nice to use them there. I believe they carry the Western Digital MyBooks line..

Thanks!

p3tran

Banned

Ryse (Solo Arena Oasis)

great!
so I cross-tested on WD mybook 2tb

mybook 2tb: 29 sec.

Ryse (Solo Arena Oasis)
mybook 2tb: 1:12"

I did a hard reset before loading up forza, and with forza still running I fired up ryse and did the test.

great!

Ryse (Solo Arena Oasis)

I did a hard reset before loading up forza, and with forza still running I fired up ryse and did the test.

can u try DR3 if you have it?

Lima

great!

Ryse (Solo Arena Oasis)

The thing with the SSHD is that you can't just do one load and post that time.

You have to do multiple loads to let the cache do its thing.

Forza (Freeplay on Prague, Lotus F1, 7AI)

1st load: 26,33
2nd load: 24,67
3rd load: 24,87

After everything is said and done that track averages 25 seconds.

Le Mans (free play same car and AI as Prague)

Average of 29 seconds.

Ryse (solo arena Oasis)

Seems to average to 1:05. The MP with two players is not a good test because there is more to it than loading, connecting the two players takes longer etc.

Last I call bullshit on some of those numbers the guy at reddit posted. There is no way Forza is loading in 22 seconds on a USB powered drive even if it's 7200rpm. I have no clue when that guy starts his stop clock.

p3tran

Banned
The thing with the SSHD is that you can't just do one load and post that time.

You have to do multiple loads to let the cache do its thing.

Forza (Freeplay on Prague, Lotus F1, 7AI)

1st load: 26,33
2nd load: 24,67
3rd load: 24,87

After everything is said and done that track averages 25 seconds.

Le Mans (free play same car and AI as Prague)

Average of 29 seconds.

Ryse (solo arena Oasis)

Seems to average to 1:05. The MP with two players is not a good test because there is more to it than loading, connecting the two players takes longer etc.

Last I call bullshit on some of those numbers the guy at reddit posted. There is no way Forza is loading in 22 seconds on a USB powered drive even if it's 7200rpm. I have no clue when that guy starts his stop clock.

I agree for the caching part, and probably this is what counts more when you are actually ..playing after all.
I just did the tests the way I did (off from cold boot) so they can be reproducible easily.
I think even a regular usb3 hdd will see some minor speedup when quiting and reloading, but of course not comparable to hybrids.

Also I agree with you that those reddit link numbers seem too low.
I never had this drive so I dont have first hand experience with it, but he is talking about a 2.5" usb-powered drive, right?

btw, you never confirmed what model sshd you are using... :ppP

Bessy67

Looking at these improvements in load times I've decided to get an external drive even though I'm still only at 44.6% used on my internal drive. I want to buy it at Target since I just got a pretty nice gift card from their game trade in program, and the two that my Target has that I'm considering are the WD My Book 3TB and the Seagate Expansion 3TB. What does GAF think is the better of those two? It sounds like the Seagate might be a bit faster, but it also might be a bit less reliable...

TrackZ

I had been looking for tests and info on this as I'm ready to pick up a drive for my Xbox.

Seems like testing suggests solid boosts for using external drives but that ssds, 7200 rpm drives, and raid 0 arrays are getting similar results. I read that most usb enclosures have chipsets that limit throughput especially for ssds.

I came across this enclosure though. The VANTEC NexStar 6G NST-266S3. It was tested on Tweaktown with an ssd where they got 450 MBps read and 430 MBps write. This may open up the performance results on the Xbox considerably.

Only downside to ssd of course is size for the money. I'm not interested in dropping $400+ on a 1TB. $220 for a 512GB is easier to take, but it sucks to not get a size boost over the stock drive when games are so big now.

I was also looking at the Seagate Backup Plus Fast. That's 4TB for same price as a 512GB SSD plus enclosure. It gets ~225 MBps speed. Still much faster than the internal, but half of what that SSD and enclosure may be able to do if the Xbox lets it get that full 440 MBps speed.

I only want a bus powered drive as well so that limits the choices.

Straxus

I forgot about this thread!

I'm having an issue with my external hdd enclosure.

I have a Vantec NexStar3 SuperSpeed USB 3.0 3.5" enclosure (older model) housing a WD Black 2tb 7200 rpm drive.

When I first tried formatting it yesterday, my console detected it until I chose to format. After that, it would no longer detect the drive at all.

Today, I decided to format the drive via Wii U - Wii U sees the drive, as does my pc - , but, when tried it on the xb1 again, it detected it. Once again, after choosing to format though, it's no longer shown in storage management.

Edit: Just giving a quick update on my issue here.

I switched out the Vantec (SATA I/II) I was using with this Startech model from Amazon.com (SATA III). It's been running two days straight with zero issues so far.

Korosenai

Figured I'd post here instead of making a new thread. Can anyone post a good 2 tb hard drive that I can buy right now from amazon, that has shown good results and worth the money? I'm out of space on my hard drive.

Top Bottom