• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

External HDD for Xbox One improves load times!

Probably depends on which disk he tried. Other source:

original.jpg

original.jpg

This is good news!

Abdiel

Yeah, that does make sense that you'd see improvements, for a couple of different reasons.

I put a 1TB Hybrid 7200rpm into my PS4, and I saw definite improvements in speed, even though the system was already fast. So to everyone that starts using their externals with the XB1, congrats on faster loadtimes! Maybe it'll help with how long the initial install is too?

Any test with an external SSD yet? It will be interesting to see with an SSD if the loading times are at least cut per 2 for some games. After it will be an expensive solution, external SSD are not cheap actually.

Tsundere

Banned
Any test with an external SSD yet? It will be interesting to see with an SSD if the loading times are at least cut per 2 for some games. After it will be an expensive solution SSD, external are not cheap actually.

You can buy smaller SSDs and set them up in a RAID array.

ethomaz

Banned
That's a lot of load time.

The internal HDD of Xbone that is a shit in speed like the original that come with PS4.

A real test is try to use the same HDD via USB.

Nzyme32

Isn't the Xbox One's internal drive only 5400rpm? If that is the case, almost any external should perform better as 7200rpm has been the most common for a long time

p3tran

Banned
meh, I had a usb 3.0 1tb passport hdd in my drawer, saved especially for this.
apparently the drive croaked before even letting me test it. I'm going out to get another usb 3.0 hdd, and will report if i see any significant gains

c0de

We don't know what the os is doing on the HDD while running games. If the drive is in some way used while gaming it's only natural that an (external) drive which only is used for loading the game data is faster. Shame on you, mechanical drives, SSD ftw!

We don't know what the os is doing on the HDD while running games. If the drive is in some way used while gaming it's only natural that an (external) drive which only is used for loading the game data is faster. Shame on you, mechanical drives, SSD ftw!

That's a good point; eliminating any disk contention alone could make a big difference. Definitely need to pick an external drive up.

Lima

What is this, a Commodore? Please tell me this is an isolated game and not a problem across the XB1 and/or PS4 platforms.

Load times are generally longer on Xbox One, especially for exclusive games but most multiplats are the same assuming ps4 stock drive.

Load times are just terrible with this much ram to fill up. Much worse than last generation in every single game so far.

sangreal

What if I tell you that the multiplayer loads 2 minutes and 25 seconds?

the MP load time makes sense though because you only have to do it once. there is no loading when you change maps between rounds. Ryse SP you get hit with ridiculous load times every time you die

Important note( I didn't see it mentioned. Sorry if I missed it): your external drive needs to be USB 3.0. I just found out my 7200 rpm 2TB hard drive is not compatible

you just need to change it to a usb3 enclosure; the drive itself should be fine

frogg609

Nice to see improved load times. I still hate the idea of having an external hard drive next to my console, but I guess I could put it behind the console.

p3tran

Banned
so, my first observations, as I just moved forza 5 to the external drive, but before that I timed the game on the internal drive

have in mind:
a) the internal 500gb hdd had 18.1 gb free at the time I tested.(and forza 5 was the very first game I installed back in november, if that affects anything)
b) the external is a wd my book 2tb

so

1 - forza initial boot (including trademarks + logo screens)
internal: ~31secs (to "press A" fully loaded)
external: ~26secs (to the same point)

2- forza loading from rivals menu, to ready to start menu (with track & opponents fully loaded)
internal: ~33 seconds (I tested the second vip rivals race, as I had to create another car to test the first one, thats why I did the second))
external: ~17 seconds

now, the first test basically includes the display of the splash screen(s) and t10+ms logos, they are unskippable, and i did notice that the rotating loading icon bottom right side was not present in the external boot other than the first seconds.

the second test, the more impressive one, I cannot test another track on the internal drive unless I re-move the game back to internal, which I dont plan to :)
I did test though a little further on the external, choosing other tracks from rivals, from other categories too and I get a consistent sub 20sec loading time, which seems to me quite faster than before, let alone what the stopwatch says.

I still hate the idea of having an external hard drive next to my console, but I guess I could put it behind the console.
well, I just got the black wd drive, it matches the xbone pretty-pretty well, I put it to the right side of the xbone and halfway back. could pass as an official ms xbone accessory ;)

Xamdou

Time to look for external hard drive 3.0 deals then, nearly a 50%+ faster load times is just huge! Plug it in and play, MS hit a slam dunk with this feature!

p3tran

Banned
Time to look for external hard drive 3.0 deals then, nearly a 50%+ faster load times is just huge! Plug it in and play, MS hit a slam dunk with this feature!

I dont know about 50%, I wrote down what I found, and still think its good.
the plug it in and play thing, yes, on this I agree its a 100% dunk

going from this:

to this:

is in fact exactly as easy as plugging a usb cable behind your xbone.

Someone should also use an external 5400 rpm drive as a negative control!
Then test the loading at least three times for a standard deviation :p

evilalien

The Seagate External I bought is also 5400RPM. I am pretty sure it is down to it using USB 3.0 versus the internal's sata connection.

Neither SATA nor USB 3.0 are bottlenecks for platter drives. This is simply a case of your external 3.5" drive being faster than the internal 2.5" drive. Pretty much any 3.5" drive will be faster than a 2.5" drive with the same rotational speeds.

Hawk269

As promised here are some more results. This time I used Forza. I did separate tests and using two different tracks and different number of AI opponents, since the more AI opponents the more data the game needs to load.

Test #1: Free Play, Track: Prague, AI Cars: 7
Internal HDD - 39.88 Seconds
External HDD - 26.59 Seconds

Test #2: Free Play, Track: Long Beach, AI Cars: 15
Internal HDD - 49.38 seconds
External HDD - 34.71 seconds

I started my timing as soon as the first load screen appears after hitting start race, I stopped the timing as soon as the track image disappears and shows information on times etc.

I am using a Seagate 4TB External Self Powered Drive STBV4000100. When I bought it at Fry's the sales person said it was a 5400rpm drive, but no where on Newegg or Seagate's website does it show the drive speed. So it may be faster, but not sure. As others pointed out, the size of the drives platter can also be the reason. I am not sure if there is a difference due to USB 3.0 or the internals SATA connection, I was just postng what I had heard in another thread. Regardless, load times in my tests are significantly faster than that of the internal HDD, which is good for me.

Fuchsdh

Surprised this type of information is taking so long to appear.

None of the big sites seem to have benched external SSD/HDD for the Xbox yet :S

You don't need an inside lane to have guessed this. Not all drives/interfaces are created equal. It's not even a surprise, let alone some technical feat to question.

Yep. One could assume that it's simply a virtue of not being constrained by SATAII.... SATAII tops out at 300MB/s bandwidth, USB 3 regularly gets 300-400 in real-world applications.

statham

As promised here are some more results. This time I used Forza. I did separate tests and using two different tracks and different number of AI opponents, since the more AI opponents the more data the game needs to load.

Test #1: Free Play, Track: Prague, AI Cars: 7
Internal HDD - 39.88 Seconds
External HDD - 26.59 Seconds

Test #2: Free Play, Track: Long Beach, AI Cars: 15
Internal HDD - 49.38 seconds
External HDD - 34.71 seconds

I started my timing as soon as the first load screen appears after hitting start race, I stopped the timing as soon as the track image disappears and shows information on times etc.

I am using a Seagate 4TB External Self Powered Drive STBV4000100. When I bought it at Fry's the sales person said it was a 5400rpm drive, but no where on Newegg or Seagate's website does it show the drive speed. So it may be faster, but not sure. As others pointed out, the size of the drives platter can also be the reason. I am not sure if there is a difference due to USB 3.0 or the internals SATA connection, I was just postng what I had heard in another thread. Regardless, load times in my tests are significantly faster than that of the internal HDD, which is good for me.

huge difference. Got to get one soon.

p3tran

Banned
noob question:

so 2.5 usb 3.0 hdd won't make a difference?

something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E83X9P8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

heh, thats exactly the drive (1tb?) I had in my drawer waiting for the xbone, the one that died.
I bought the "mybook" series today based 100% on reliability reports.
my passport was not the first external I had die on me.

both of them though, passport and mybook I think are not 7200rpm drives, the most i could find from a tech guy I know in a big store, is that chances are both are 5400rpm.

now, if any of you guys knows better about both drives rpm's, please tell us/me.
if there are 7200rpm drives that are equally reliable and faster, even better.

noob question:

so 2.5 usb 3.0 hdd won't make a difference?

something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E83X9P8/?tag=neogaf0e-20
Most 2.5" externals seem to be 5,400 RPM, which is the same as the internal drive. Whether the areal density of a bigger drive would make a difference, I don't know. I'm trying to find a 2TB 7,200 2.5" external drive myself, so I'll let you know if I find anything fast/good.

hwalker84 said:
Need a list of 7200RPM 3TB External drives.
The Hitachi Touro Desk Pro drives are 7,200 and they're really fast. I used to have a 2TB one, now I have a 4TB. The only thing I don't like about those drives is that there's no on/off switch on the drive itself, but that shouldn't be an issue for Xbox One use as the drive would turn off when the console is off. Oh yeah, the included cable is pretty short, but again, that should be fine for Xbox use as you'll likely keep it right next to the console.

Damn, as a PS4 user I am super jelly of Xbox One users getting every cool improvement on their OS. I'm already out of space :(

I will get the console down the road so the more improvements, the better.

statham

Most 2.5" externals seem to be 5,400 RPM, which is the same as the internal drive. Whether the areal density of a bigger drive would make a difference, I don't know. I'm trying to find a 2TB 7,200 2.5" external drive myself, so I'll let you know if I find anything fast/good.

The Hitachi Touro Desk Pro drives are 7,200 and they're really fast. I used to have a 2TB one, now I have a 4TB. The only thing I don't like about those drives is that there's no on/off switch on the drive itself, but that shouldn't be an issue for Xbox One use as the drive would turn off when the console is off. Oh yeah, the included cable is pretty short, but again, that should be fine for Xbox use as you'll likely keep it right next to the console.
The Touro price seems pretty decent for a 7200. We need more tests..

I had a quick search on amazon, criteria being 1tb+, usb 3.0 and 7200rpm. Got This, is this the right kind of thing to be looking at? Kind of ready to pull the trigger on an external drive for my X1, just so I have it uot of the way. Fine on space right now, but that will change quick. EDIT: Wait, this thing I've linked will need it's own power supply, right?

p3tran

Banned

how about taking a hit for science and backing up your touro pro and then connecting to the xbone to do some comparative tests?
I'll gladly use the mybook for my pc if touropro is significantly faster.

also, how about hyrids? are they reliable enough? and how about gains in real world operation (loading & playing xbone games)?

Syrus

Banned
get the Seagate Expansion 3TB , it uses the barracuda which is a 7200 RPM drive and has excellent read/write speads over same price brands

the 4TB uses a 5900 RPM. so go with the 3TB for plenty of storage and much faster speeds.

Top Bottom