• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Extreme Tech: 360 DVD, HD DVD playback still seriously flawed

Status
Not open for further replies.

rubso

Banned
glad it's moved to the off-topic forum.

I heard that Dr.Phil is one of the 3500 juniors, so you might want to ask for his help.

xbhaskarx

MikeB said:
My sister is well protected so don't worry. She has more than enough pictures floating around on the internet. She wants to be famous anyhow.

Uhh... ok.

3178101b.jpg

Cant wait until the PS3 gets divx support so we can hear MikeB's thoughts on which is better, I have a hunce he'll say PS3....

mr_bishiuk said:
No there are two ways, media centre extender looks like this

MediaCenter.jpg

Streaming direct from the PC uses the 360 dashboard
Yup. the PS3 falls pretty short in that regard. I mean it can stream, but it's limited to crap like the 360's dashboard streaming and it's not even as robust as that. Or you can make the PS3 itself into a media center with the HDD bay, but shit there's no way in hell that will accomodate power users. I mean you can put, what, at most a 750 GB HDD.....or the PS3 uses Sata drives, doesn't it? So the max is 250GB? I'm at 1.5TB on my comp and it's already used up. I need more. Having everything on the console just isn't the way imo.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
jesus christ...is Gaming getting so stank that it's smell is coming into OT?

Argyle

SIP YEK NOD said:
how many HD-DVDs are interlaced?

Strictly speaking, all of them. :)

But most are film sourced and it's probably safe to assume they are flagged correctly so this is a non issue for most HD DVD movies - but there are some interlaced HD DVDs, concert videos are often shot on video. I know the Nine Inch Nails Beside You In Time Blu-Ray/HD DVD is sourced from video...

I suspect (have not tested, but I do have the Blu-ray HQV disc) that the HD deinterlacing in the PS3 isn't very good, which is why you have to force 720p output on the player to engage it - maybe if I get bored tonight I'll give it a try. Interlaced video always outputs as 1080i on the PS3 unless you have disabled that resolution...

Disappointing that the DVD playback is still not fixed after all this time. The SD deinterlacer is terrible and the PS3 (and damn near any standalone DVD player, upscaler or not) is far superior.

DJ_Tet

Banned
Hmm, I have an X360 with HD DVD and a hacked XBox with XBMC. Are there any discussions on how an original XBox handles DVD playback and how XBMC performs on these tests when upscaling DVDs (I think to 720p is the limit?) Wondering if my XBox is a much superior DVD player, I have it hooked through component to my pio 4270 plasma.

Shame this topic which could have been infomative got shit on.

Argyle

DJ_Tet said:
Hmm, I have an X360 with HD DVD and a hacked XBox with XBMC. Are there any discussions on how an original XBox handles DVD playback and how XBMC performs on these tests when upscaling DVDs (I think to 720p is the limit?) Wondering if my XBox is a much superior DVD player, I have it hooked through component to my pio 4270 plasma.

Shame this topic which could have been infomative got shit on.

I haven't tested XBMC in a few years. Is it still in active development?

Last I checked the deinterlacer was USELESS - even worse than the Xbox 360. Combing artifacts everywhere...pretty much unwatchable.

harSon

Banned
This guy has to be joking, I have quite honestly never seen something so bizarre and pitiful on a forum. He is seriously a one man console pimping force.

DJ_Tet

Banned
Argyle said:
I haven't tested XBMC in a few years. Is it still in active development?

Last I checked the deinterlacer was USELESS - even worse than the Xbox 360. Combing artifacts everywhere...pretty much unwatchable.

Actually, I think you're right, it got replaced with a different media program? Hopefully someone who is more current into the scene can answer.

Argyle said:
Strictly speaking, all of them. :)

But most are film sourced and it's probably safe to assume they are flagged correctly so this is a non issue for most HD DVD movies - but there are some interlaced HD DVDs, concert videos are often shot on video. I know the Nine Inch Nails Beside You In Time Blu-Ray/HD DVD is sourced from video...

I suspect (have not tested, but I do have the Blu-ray HQV disc) that the HD deinterlacing in the PS3 isn't very good, which is why you have to force 720p output on the player to engage it - maybe if I get bored tonight I'll give it a try. Interlaced video always outputs as 1080i on the PS3 unless you have disabled that resolution...

Disappointing that the DVD playback is still not fixed after all this time. The SD deinterlacer is terrible and the PS3 (and damn near any standalone DVD player, upscaler or not) is far superior.

Wrong. The large majority of HD DVDs are 1080p. The number of HD DVDs that are interlaced is in single digits.

gkryhewy

Oh look, another Extreme Tech article complaining about the 360's DVD playback, and another thread full of actual users who disagree. I used my 360 as my primary DVD player for over a year until I got an HD-A3 recently, and it was fine. Superior to the Samsung HD-850 I'd been using previously, actually. Further, the HD DVD drive's PQ was lights-out good.

Argyle

chinaismine said:
Wrong. The large majority of HD DVDs are 1080p. The number of HD DVDs that are interlaced is in single digits.

Well, I said strictly speaking - the video stream is technically 1080i, but is composed of 24 fps video (with repeat field flags to round things out to 60i). Blu-ray stores the video as 24fps natively and the player generates the repeated fields on the fly. As I said, a technicality and a non-issue, I was just being facetious. :)

gkrykewy said:
Oh look, another Extreme Tech article complaining about the 360's DVD playback, and another thread full of actual users who disagree. I used my 360 as my primary DVD player for over a year until I got an HD-A3 recently, and it was fine. Superior to the Samsung HD-850 I'd been using previously, actually. Further, the HD DVD drive's PQ was lights-out good.

Well, I'm glad you and others are enjoying the DVD playback on the 360, but that doesn't change the fact that the deinterlacer is crap and has conclusively been proven to be crap (I verified their results on my own).

We've had this thread before and I really do not understand the apologists - don't you want MS to patch it and fix this problem?

Phoenix

Wow a thread where someone brings technical, measurable evidence and people respond with "well it looks good to me". Debate on the Internet died today in this very thread - if not even quotable, demonstrable evidence is acceptable in debate.

Argyle

Phoenix said:
Wow a thread where someone brings technical, measurable evidence and people respond with "well it looks good to me". Debate on the Internet died today in this very thread - if not even quotable, demonstrable evidence is acceptable in debate.

Amen, brother. :)

For those curious I ran the Blu-ray HD HQV test on the PS3 by forcing 720p output (disabled 1080i) - in my book the PS3 scores 5/100 vs. the 0/100 that the Xbox 360 HD DVD player scores according to ExtremeTech, so Sony has some work to do as well. (By contrast if I let it output at 1080i my projector handles the tests correctly.)

The moral of the story is that if you are using either the PS3 or the Xbox 360 for Blu-ray/HD DVD playback, you should let it output in 1080i instead of 720p. Then it's up to your TV to deinterlace the signal...if that's crap too, I guess you should buy a new TV (or wait for MS and Sony to patch their firmware)...

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Phoenix said:

It looks to me like people are expressing the opinion that the science is irrelevant to their experience. Which is perfectly valid and likely the case for about 95% of the US sighted population.

Argyle

Stinkles said:
It looks to me like people are expressing the opinion that the science is irrelevant to their experience. Which is perfectly valid and likely the case for about 95% of the US sighted population.

...when watching maybe 80% of the discs (I made that number up - it probably works on any mainstream Hollywood movie, but it will probably fall on its face for anime, things shot on video, sports, music concerts...) I guess that's good enough for some people? I kinda want my players to play everything correctly, personally. :)

Stinkles

Argyle said:
...and probably 80% of the discs. I guess that's good enough for some people? I kinda want my players to play everything correctly, personally. :)

Well so do I. Which is why I use MCACC calibration for my audio, even though I can't tell the difference. But that's nothing to get my knickers in a twist about either.

And yet here we are, knickers, twisted.

Argyle

Stinkles said:
Well so do I. Which is why I use MCACC calibration for my audio, even though I can't tell the difference. But that's nothing to get my knickers in a twist about either.

And yet here we are, knickers, twisted.

It'll never get fixed if people don't get their knickers in a twist. Like I said, I never understood the apologists. Can't you yell at some of your (former) coworkers and tell them to fix this shit? :)

Stinkles

Argyle said:
It'll never get fixed if people don't get their knickers in a twist. Like I said, I never understood the apologists. Can't you yell at some of your (former) coworkers and tell them to fix this shit? :)

I barely care enough to post, I'm hardly gonna yell at other adults about it.

Argyle

Stinkles said:
I barely care enough to post, I'm hardly gonna yell at other adults about it.

I don't even know why you bother posting in this thread, since you have nothing to contribute :)

MikeB

Banned
Phoenix said:

Cheers mate!

2163315650095088590S425x425Q85.jpg

Walshicus

Phoenix said:
Wow a thread where someone brings technical, measurable evidence
I think we all missed it in between where that someone made an arse of himself and assumed we'd give a shit about him, his family, his girlfriend or his "fame", and wouldn't rip the shit out of him for the stupid things he's said over time.

Where did you think this thread would go?

MikeB

Banned
@ Sir Fragula

I suggest you reread the thread, at first it was on topic until Hammer started to drag it off topic, I believe I know Hammer a vivid Intel fan not too happy about the Cell. Then the XBot fanboys disliking the facts took the bait and started to talk all kinds of nonesense. :lol

Yes I played ball, but so what? The thread already turned into a hurt-feelings kiddo flamefest. :lol

DJ_Tet

Banned
Argyle said:
The moral of the story is that if you are using either the PS3 or the Xbox 360 for Blu-ray/HD DVD playback, you should let it output in 1080i instead of 720p. Then it's up to your TV to deinterlace the signal...if that's crap too, I guess you should buy a new TV (or wait for MS and Sony to patch their firmware)...

So would you recommend that setting for games as well? What did the 360 score on the HD DVD test when outputted to 1080i on your tv? What is your tv btw?

rubso

Banned
MikeB said:
@ Sir Fragula

I suggest you reread the thread, at first it was on topic until Hammer started to drag it off topic, I believe I know Hammer a vivid Intel fan not too happy about the Cell. Then the XBot fanboys disliking the facts took the bait and started to talk all kinds of nonesense. :lol

Yes I played ball, but so what? The thread already turned into a hurt-feelings kiddo flamefest. :lol
what facts?

did you see this post?

a C- for this thread, MikeB.. I expect another 360 trolling thread soon enough from you, and it's better be good, or you'll get another C- for your trolling efforts :D

Argyle

DJ_Tet said:
So would you recommend that setting for games as well? What did the 360 score on the HD DVD test when outputted to 1080i on your tv? What is your tv btw?

No, only for movies, games should be fine @ 720p (although if you have a good deinterlacer in your TV games @ 1080i should be fine too, the scaler in the 360 is quite nice). I do not have the HD DVD HQV disc nor the 360 HD DVD add on (let's put it this way - I have a launch 360 and even streaming HD video to it via Windows Media Center makes it sound like a dustbuster) so I can't verify his findings on that. But outputting 1080i should completely bypass the deinterlacer.

You can test the static deinterlacing by getting some 1080p jpegs and looking at them in the photo viewer on your 360, if you want to test the deinterlacer on the TV. Set the output to 1080i with one of these test patterns and see what your TV does.

I googled for a bit and here is a site with some free test patterns and discs: http://www.w6rz.net/

It looks like you can burn the HD DVD iso on that site to a normal DVD-R and pop it into your HD DVD add on to test the deinterlacing there.

My TV is a Panasonic PJ-AX100U projector. It's natively 720p but can accept 1080p over HDMI.

rubso said:
what facts?

did you see this post?

The facts are linked in the first post of this thread. I also have a copy of the HQV benchmark DVD and have confirmed his findings. The deinterlacer in the 360 DVD player is poor and does not handle many types of discs - this is unrelated to the upscaling filter (which is also superior on the PS3, but that is neither here nor there).

I don't have the 360 HD-DVD drive but the DVD playback is pretty terrible. I've only used it a few times when my TV in the living room was being used and wanted to watch something so it doesn't really affect me. It would be nice if they improved it, though.

cubicle47b said:
I don't have the 360 HD-DVD drive but the DVD playback is pretty terrible. I've only used it a few times when my TV in the living room was being used and wanted to watch something so it doesn't really affect me. It would be nice if they improved it, though.

We watch most of our DVDs through the 360. But I only have a 30" CRT HDTV so I probably don't notice the serious flaws.

DJ_Tet

Banned
Argyle said:
No, only for movies, games should be fine @ 720p (although if you have a good deinterlacer in your TV games @ 1080i should be fine too, the scaler in the 360 is quite nice). I do not have the HD DVD HQV disc nor the 360 HD DVD add on (let's put it this way - I have a launch 360 and even streaming HD video to it via Windows Media Center makes it sound like a dustbuster) so I can't verify his findings on that. But outputting 1080i should completely bypass the deinterlacer.

You can test the static deinterlacing by getting some 1080p jpegs and looking at them in the photo viewer on your 360, if you want to test the deinterlacer on the TV. Set the output to 1080i with one of these test patterns and see what your TV does.

I googled for a bit and here is a site with some free test patterns and discs: http://www.w6rz.net/

It looks like you can burn the HD DVD iso on that site to a normal DVD-R and pop it into your HD DVD add on to test the deinterlacing there.

My TV is a Panasonic PJ-AX100U projector. It's natively 720p but can accept 1080p over HDMI.

The facts are linked in the first post of this thread. I also have a copy of the HQV benchmark DVD and have confirmed his findings. The deinterlacer in the 360 DVD player is poor and does not handle many types of discs - this is unrelated to the upscaling filter (which is also superior on the PS3, but that is neither here nor there).

Cool I'm going to check this out when I get home. I have a Pioneer 4270 so the deinterlacer should be good? I've played games at 1080i and they looked basically the same as games at 720p which is what I have the 360 set at now. I figured since it was closer to the 768p my tv displays, I'd keep it there.

I appreciate the link to the iso. I've watched a few hd-dvds on my tv (haven't watched any DVDs yet ironically) and while they looked good, better than my HD cable channels in some instances, I almost expected it to look better. Hopefully it does when I set it to 1080i.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom