• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eye of Judgement Tournament for GAF!

fubarduck

Awesome! Been waiting for something like this. I'll be looking even more forward to the next tournament when we can used totally customized decks, but it will be fun to see what people can come up with given the limitations.

PSN: fubarduck

I just realized the tournament was direct elimination, is there a particular reason for that? In Magic The Gathering tournaments with 32 players everyone plays the 5 rounds and at the end 4 people qualify for semi finals. It's also best 2 out of 3 per round. After the first round losers play losers. If you lose the first round you're pretty much screwed, but not completely out. People with one loss can still get to the semis and I find this much more fun since everyone gets to play 5 matches (which I feel should be the point of the tournament, getting GAF people to play with each other).

So, I humbly suggest a rethink on the tournament format. It's really a shame that half the people that signed up will only get to play one match.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Gave it some sticky exposure on the gaming forum, but as mentioned this really belongs on the online forum (and we're in sticky overload on gaming anyway, easy for it to get lost in there).

Moving.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Sony heard about NeoGAF tournament and updated EOJ accordingly

Official Boards said:
Update Details

This EOJ update will make a few adjustments to enhance your gaming experience including:

Improved connectivity with opponents in Online mode.
Better balanced COM AI in Battle Arena Mod.

How to update:

1. After signing in to the PLAYSTATION®Network, boot up "THE EYE OF JUDGMENT™".
2. Select "Yes" on the version confirmation screen. If you wish to begin the update right away, please select "Yes".
3. The download and installation of the update data will take place automatically.
4. If the number changes to [ Version : 01.01 ] on the version confirmation screen, then the update has been successfully completed.

After the update has been completed the version shown must be 1.01 or the Online Mode can not be played.

Thank you and thanks for playing Eye of Judgment.

TTP said:
Sony heard about NeoGAF tournament and updated EOJ accordingly

Thanks TTP for the update.

The game matching in EOJ needed an improvement. Hopefully it becomes much easier to dual against a named opponent rather than the current system.

crazygambit said:
I just realized the tournament was direct elimination, is there a particular reason for that? In Magic The Gathering tournaments with 32 players everyone plays the 5 rounds and at the end 4 people qualify for semi finals. It's also best 2 out of 3 per round. After the first round losers play losers. If you lose the first round you're pretty much screwed, but not completely out. People with one loss can still get to the semis and I find this much more fun since everyone gets to play 5 matches (which I feel should be the point of the tournament, getting GAF people to play with each other).

So, I humbly suggest a rethink on the tournament format. It's really a shame that half the people that signed up will only get to play one match.

I realize what you are saying. I would submit that a single match elimination tournament is meant to keep things simple for people on GAF.

We'll shoot for monthly prize driven tournaments so even if lady luck passed you by (bad card draws) you'll get another chance next time.

** That being said there is merit to having an optional "already eliminated" tourney.

I'm cool with a single elimination tourney.

Maybe rounds would work better if we had the ability to use more variance in our decks. Because if I get whooped one game...I'd like to be able to change my deck to address my weaknesses.

So maybe rounds in the tourney would be better suited for a tournament in the future, where we don't need a limit of the amount of rare/uncommon cards we can have.

TheMissingLink said:
I'm cool with a single elimination tourney.

Maybe rounds would work better if we had the ability to use more variance in our decks. Because if I get whooped one game...I'd like to be able to change my deck to address my weaknesses.

So maybe rounds in the tourney would be better suited for a tournament in the future, where we don't need a limit of the amount of rare/uncommon cards we can have.

I've added a "Second Chance Elimination Tournament" for those eliminated.
(Life is more fun with second chances)

The rules of the tourney will allow you to change your deck between matches but you have to notify me in advance to validate.

fubarduck

Would like to sign up, but looks like my name still didn't make the sign-up list in the first post -_-

PSN: fubarduck

Thanks!

from experience with the penny-arcade tourney, 3min turns and 2-3 days per round seemed more than enough. although thats just my opinion.

also, is this best of 1 match per round?

n8NMONSTER said:
from experience with the penny-arcade tourney, 3min turns and 2-3 days per round seemed more than enough. although thats just my opinion.

also, is this best of 1 match per round?

1 match per round. (Its a money shot every battle)

5 min rounds

Most likely people won't need a week to schedule and play but we have people from Europe and USA (possibly even Asia). If everyone finishes quickly, then the next round can begin sooner.

We'll get feedback from this and see how it goes.
(Topic updated)

Excellent!

We have reached the minimally required mark of 32 players which will make the elimination tournament simple to structure.

1) Two weeks left. Don't forget to let me know what your 7 cards will be before the end of the month. You can't jump into the tourney until I receive them

2) On Dec 01, 2007, I'll put up a bitmap showing an elimination pyramid with your first opponent.

--If possible give me a short summary of how the match went. I'll try to fit the description into a "News report".
--Remember I need BOTH people to let me know how the tournament went.

Thanks all!

F-Pina

Untolddreams - I sent you a PM, please check to see if anything is missing.

Portugal (Europe) here! <- 0h00 GMT
I have a very small windown of time during the week to play this, but at weekends i can play almost at any time of the day.

Could i ask to include in the rules the shuting down of the music in case both players decide to use the mic to talk? Sometimes it causes feedback noises.

See you guys at the tournament!

Hey guys-

Happy Thanksgiving!

We're down to a week and a half before the tourney.
** Please message me your 7 cards before the tourney starts

PSN: UntoldDreams

grendelrt

TTP said:
No phantom cards right?

I PM'ed you my 7 cards

I was wondering about this as well. You could get a phantom in a booster, would that count as your rare card? Same thing for Ultra Rare? So you could have 5 common + 1 uncommon + 1 rare/ultra rare/phantom ?

CLARIFICATION:

** Sorry I didn't clarify this sooner!

Phantom cards are allowed:

Modify your starter deck with up to 7 cards using the rules below:

Up to 1 rare/ultrarare card (can be a phantom)
Up to 2 uncommon
Up to 5 common

MAX 7 CARDS (Yes seven. Eight cards are listed above but please pick only 7.)

M3wThr33

Banned
Wow. Finally saw some cards in store yesterday. Two theme decks.
Bought both.
Now Target's out of stock again. :lol

M3wThr33 said:
Wow. Finally saw some cards in store yesterday. Two theme decks.
Bought both.
Now Target's out of stock again. :lol

Yeah the scarcity of cards is a problem. I'm pretty sure its a very small percentage of people who are buying up all the cards too.
:D

Here's my problem, I have the camera and I want to buy this game without the camera and yet I want the stand and 6 grid cloth. Question are they selling the Camera Stand and 6 grid cloth as a stand along product?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
gluv65 said:
Here's my problem, I have the camera and I want to buy this game without the camera and yet I want the stand and 6 grid cloth. Question are they selling the Camera Stand and 6 grid cloth as a stand along product?

You are lucky as I have extra pieces of both. PM me you address and I'll ship them to you next week. For free.

I dont think the game is available without those tho.

(Hahaha... I keep misspelling Judgment.)

Hey people! The tourney starts this Saturday.

If you haven't done it yet... Please notify me which 7 cards you plan on modifying the starter deck with.
:) (do it do it do it)

I think people weren't clear on the format of this tourney.

Each round you have up to 1 week to contact and duel your opponent.

Since there may well be 5 rounds this could take 3+ weeks to complete.

:D I guess I should have highlighted and bolded this from day one.

M3wThr33

Banned
Alright. I sent in my 7 cards. God damn online list is messed up.
4 common, 2 uncommon, 1 rare

Replace Red Cubic with Sciondar Fire God and added in 2 of those elf girls.

Won

Deckbuilding with that 7 card rule is....weird. I think my deck is now worse then the starter deck. :lol

And the german localization is really lazy on some of these cards.

Come on people! The tournament starts TOMORROW.
(I've sent a PM to everyone at least once already so no excuses)

If you haven't done it yet... Please notify me which 7 cards you plan on modifying the starter deck with.
:) (do it do it do it)

Ferrio

Banned
Not sure if I'll be able to make it tommorow. I guess if I don't send a deck config tonight you'll know. Though what time does the tournament take place tommorow?

Or is everything played tommorow only? I'm confused.

M3wThr33

Banned
Ferrio said:
Not sure if I'll be able to make it tommorow. I guess if I don't send a deck config tonight you'll know. Though what time does the tournament take place tommorow?

Look at it this way. Each Saturday you'll get your matchup and have until the next matchup to play that game.

Ferrio said:

Ferrio,

The tournament will probably take 3 WEEKS to complete.

Every round you are assigned one person to duel. You will get your first name this Saturday.
You have several days (up to a week) to contact and duel this person.

After the duel everyone needs to contact me and let me know so I can update the ROSTER and let you know who is NEXT on the ladder to victory.

Clear?

Also, please send me your 7 card choices.

LET THE TOURNAMENT BEGIN!
mortal-kombat-deadly-alliance-20041026023813406-000.jpg

Due to the number of drops some of you are moved immediately to the second round.
*** Please check the UPDATED TOPIC chart to see who you must duel.

Good luck people and enjoy!
Hmm.... Since I know everyone's registered cards...
I wonder who I should be betting upon for the WIN...
:D

Ferrio

Banned
Wollan said:
Wolverines usually are, at a distance.

My Green Lycanthrope will save the day!

BTW, I took only 5 minutes to pick my swap in cards since I forgot about it all day until the last minute :lol. Cards from my main deck, didn't really analyze it in depth just pulled over my favorites.

Top Bottom