• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2015 |OT| Bernie says "Think before you buy.”

Just did an 100% race on Hungary. Started to rain & stopped later in the race. Why does the track besides the racing line dry so quickly? Bit disappointed here.

Nevertheless I had to change tyres four times (Stared on Primes - Inters in Lap 28 - Wets in Lap 32 - Inters in Lap 50 - Options in Lap 56). One stop less than most of the opponents who started on Options so I still managed to become 5th despite starting 15th in my RedBull. Could have been a Top 10 start if I wouldn't have suffered terminal damage in Q1.

Azzawon

RIP Foli. He just totally disappeared. I wish I'd bothered to get a refund.

I love Shaneus' post on the last page. His predictions were almost perfectly accurate, only a year out with next-gen.
I bet that 2014 will be the first game on next-gen and it'll look not much better than 2013 on current-gen. But they'll have updated the tracks and drivers to the 2014 season, though. And probably taken away some features while they were at it.

Because hey, it's Codemasters.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
They seriously need to put in 3 day weather forecast for the qualifying and race day. I did a great practice in Singapore but come the weekend its heavy rain and now I'm stuck with a dry setup since I have Parc Ferme enabled. Probably going to get owned unless something amazing happens like a huge crash which allows me to pull away and get some distance.

Azzawon

They seriously need to put in 3 day weather forecast for the qualifying and race day. I did a great practice in Singapore but come the weekend its heavy rain and now I'm stuck with a dry setup since I have Parc Ferme enabled. Probably going to get owned unless something amazing happens like a huge crash which allows me to pull away and get some distance.

Huge omission if you ask me, especially with the amount of technology teams have IRL to keep an eye on the weather. Add that to the long list of things missing from the game :p

Fox Mulder

That sucks. It was nice in previous games knowing the weather and taking advantage of it in quali.

Pcars does a shit job at telling you track conditions too.

But to be fair: the Rain probability screen in the previous games wasn't useful at all. Countless times it sat there at 100% and I couldn't spot a single cloud.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Survived the Singapore race in heavy rain and got 1st. Can you believe it no accidents or retirements for a 50% race. The race took about 60 minutes and man was it boring.

At the next race Suzuka it started out cloudy then a few laps in a little bit of rain but I managed to stay out on Options while still doing good times lol. Went to Intermediate when the rain became heavy later in the race but I saved out on only pitting once while most pitted twice so it allowed me an easy win and quite a few back markers got into the top 10 for a finish since they also pitted once rather than twice.

Also I found this Steam guide for setups in wet and dry for all tracks. It is for 2014 but I've converted some over and they've worked really well for me. The guy is doing 2015 setups but I don't know when they will be available.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=331177213

Fox Mulder

F1 2015 PC Game Review - GamerMuscle Reviews

Glad I skipped this one. I'll stick to F1 racing in Project Cars for now.

Pcars is even more barebones for F1 honestly. It has plenty of bugs too and also lacks a safety car or proper regulations. Debris sits on the track in the racing line the whole race. The cars are like 2011 f1 spec too.

Hopefully codemasters can patch a bunch of stuff before in the coming months before having to move on to 2016.

kharma45

Pcars is even more barebones for F1 honestly. It has plenty of bugs too and also lacks a safety car or proper regulations. Debris sits on the track in the racing line the whole race. The cars are like 2011 f1 spec too.

Hopefully codemasters can patch a bunch of stuff before in the coming months before having to move on to 2016.

Don't expect CM to actually fix anything. They clearly don't give a fuck about the F1 games with the half arsed state they put them out in year after year.

TJP

F1 2015 PC Game Review - GamerMuscle Reviews

Glad I skipped this one. I'll stick to F1 racing in Project Cars for now.
Gamer Muscle sure nails what it's like to be a Codemasters customer on PC. It's hard to believe the same company is making Dirt Rally as it's been one of the better 'early access' Steam games I've bought. BigLee has been brilliant with his community involvement; CM brought in NeoGAF's Betta Lines to help fix their broken FFB system in Dirt Rally.

I wonder who and where is the community liaison for F1 is. Edit: I like the unintenional rolling burnout the Mercedes manages to do (5:35) in the Gamer Muscle video ;)

Reading through the F1 2012 OT, I'd forgotten that CM released 12 patches for the PC version. Despite their efforts, many game breaking bugs and glitches remained and the community was left to deal with them. I can't recall what happened with F1 2013 or F1 2014 post-release support however history tells me that the majority of bugs in 2015 won't be sorted.

It is dispiriting how Codemasters can make great, largely bug free games such as Grid: Autosport, Grid 1 & 2, Dirt 1-3 and most recently Dirt Rally and yet completely balls up nearly every F1 game with innumerable bugs and glitches.

Fox Mulder

Don't expect CM to actually fix anything. They clearly don't give a fuck about the F1 games with the half arsed state they put them out in year after year.

I just don't believe that at all. The team is small and the licensing cost for Bernie's pocket certainly eats into the budget.

I've had plenty of fun in single player with the games, mostly 2010 and 2013. By many accounts and from watching videos, the core racing model in 2015 is great, there's better AI that actually fights, and it's at or near 60 fps.

This is the absolute worst multiplayer game I have ever played in my life. The races lose sync, you think you're winning then it ends because someone's ahead of you but you don't see it, races end after 1 or 2 laps randomly, the list goes on.. Absolutely unacceptable, not in a fit state for release. This is getting beyond a joke, we need this license off of these guys ASAP. Like many, many others, I've had enough. Fucking hell.

The fucking thead heading is SPOT ON.

Sure the Dirt and F1 team are separate, at least this was the case.

What we're seeing now is not a surprise to me after the 2010 game. I said back then they won't have time to sort out the game in 9 months each year, the base game was bad and we get a remix of it each year and PC wheel functionally gets worse.

I'm a fan of F1 since the 1980s and even watch practice sessions, have bought many driving games from Indy 500 to Assetto Corsa, Forza Gran Turismo, to fucking Buggy Boy and Jaguar XJ220 on Mega CD to name a few. I stopped buying F1 games after 2011 because they're poor games. Sales seem to be dropping like a stone as well.

F1 2010 and 2011 were a hive of activity on driving game forums. Today and recent years there's like a few posts a week and this latest one seems to have the least amount of activity. I could see the fall off even with F1 2011 though, it was mostly carried by optimism of it being better and the rot started to set in after a few months.

Not sure what the future should be, maybe not have an exclusive game, make a cheap license for others to have a crack and maybe we get something good to emerge. The high cost is another burden. The F1 racing games has always been quite small compared to the actual viewing audience or other driving games. I don't see it ever justifying the cost and needs to have a already established game to take the reigns and have multiple teams taking a punt at low cost.

Shaneus

It is dispiriting how Codemasters can make great, largely bug free games such as Grid: Autosport, Grid 1 & 2, Dirt 1-3 and most recently Dirt Rally and yet completely balls up nearly every F1 game with innumerable bugs and glitches.
I honestly don't get it either. Hell, I even let their reputation influence my hesitance in buying DR, until I succumbed and found it was great. Then I thought maybe this would be good, but this thread... ugh.

If they have the license, they really should just concentrate on an F1 equivalent of Football Manager. Would require less staff, less online optimisation and if it were to wind up a fraction as popular as FM, it would bring some serious money in for them. Bloody hell, I'd even pay full price for something like this.

Putty

This driving model though, THIS driving model!

Hopefully Codie's pull their finger out and patch the few issues i have but the more widespread issues peeps are having....

TJP

This driving model though, THIS driving model!
I'm sure the driving model is very good; it isn't much use if the game utilising it is so clearly underdone as the Gamer Muscle review video shows.

I've been burnt so many times by half finished and largely abandoned F1 releases I skipped F1 2014 and I don't feel F1 2015 is worth buying if CM support their game for a couple of months and then disappear to focus their efforts on the 2016 game.

Putty

I'm sure the driving model is very good; it isn't much use if the game utilising it is so clearly underdone as the Gamer Muscle review video shows.

I've been burnt so many times by half finished and largely abandoned F1 releases I skipped F1 2014 and I don't feel F1 2015 is worth buying if CM support their game for a couple of months and then disappear to focus their efforts on the 2016 game.

Fills my need at least 8)

Azzawon

The Codies forums are an absolute mess at the moment and I have to say I completely agree with everyone's complaints. The only thing I disagree with is the delivery of pretty much every single one of them. Safe to say that nobody is holding back.

Tadie

Bought this game yesterday for PS4 and I´m really happy with it.

Didn´t recognized any bugs. But I just played the Championship Mode :)

Azzawon

Bought this game yesterday for PS4 and I´m really happy with it.

Didn´t recognized any bugs. But I just played the Championship Mode :)

Word of advice: don't go online unless you're prepared for the worst.

Edit: anyone noticed that they look to have scrapped RaceNet with F1 2015?
Anyone really care?

Ryne

The driving is fun. I always love CM's driving models in games, they are always fun for me.

Just that everything else takes away from the fun driving, it's sad because I love F1.

kharma45

I just don't believe that at all. The team is small and the licensing cost for Bernie's pocket certainly eats into the budget.

I've had plenty of fun in single player with the games, mostly 2010 and 2013. By many accounts and from watching videos, the core racing model in 2015 is great, there's better AI that actually fights, and it's at or near 60 fps.

Experience tells me otherwise. Time will tell, but I expect to be right.

TJP

Fills my need at least 8)
As much as I'm thrilled it is a great experience for you, Codemasters need an F1 release that isn't a broken mess at launch.

I'll buy F1 2015 in a Steam sale (presuming the game is fixed by then) or spend my money elsewhere. CM already have my £ as Dirt Rally was a day one early access buy 8)

Shaneus

As much as I'm thrilled it is a great experience for you, Codemasters need an F1 release that isn't a broken mess at launch.
That's the thing. If all some people need is just a solid driving experience and ignoring all the other bullshit that's supposed to work but doesn't, why wouldn't they go something (anything) else that has F1 cars, even unofficially? If it's a PC user, there's countless options. Worst case, go the F1 in Forza 5 or pCARS. At least then you get some semblance of a game outside the driving model.

kie25

That's the thing. If all some people need is just a solid driving experience and ignoring all the other bullshit that's supposed to work but doesn't, why wouldn't they go something (anything) else that has F1 cars, even unofficially? If it's a PC user, there's countless options. Worst case, go the F1 in Forza 5 or pCARS. At least then you get some semblance of a game outside the driving model.

I really like project cars but f1 cars don't handle good on project cars they have way to much grip they handle like f12011 cars with the glitch setup, F12015 has many problems and features missing, but the core driving is the best to date, the AI on the hardest setting are so good aswell, I've gone through 6 corners battling the AI for the inside line. I admit I wouldn't say it's a great game, but I'm enjoying the F1 cars more than on project cars, also you need to remember to F1 fans it's the real tracks real drivers etc. For me career mode missing actually changes nothing, it's just your name missing. I'm more concerned with the lack of public custom lobbies, no safety car, lack tuning options etc, but the driving model I'm very happy with, and I'm still
Having fun playing it. Hopefully the online can get patched up, although this is where I have my doubts as they have never been known for there support, normally 1 patch leave it move on to next game has been there moto.

Azzawon

Just had an interesting dig around on the internet and found a few employee reviews from their experiences working at Codemasters. They're all pretty negative and point towards the management and CEO being poor and out of touch, leading to a very low employee retention rate.

I'm not really sure where I'm going with this but it does kind of explain why the quality of Codies games have tanked in recent years - link here.

Edit to save double post:

PC Review for IGN is here, ouch: http://uk.ign.com/articles/2015/07/17/f1-2015-pc-review
F1 2015 is a lesser game than its predecessors, and pales in comparison to the current crop of PC racing games in nearly every way. To give it credit where it’s due, I’m impressed by some of the driving modeling and the fuel management prompts, but those alone aren’t nearly enough to recommend F1 2015.

[Note: Our review of the console version of F1 2015 will be posted next week.]

4.8 - BAD

TJP

That was some sobering reading about working at Codemasters 8( CM, along with Bizarre Creation, formed a large part of my early years of playing racing games way back when Sony released the first PlayStation. Seems the upper management are out of touch and working there is shite.
Quite a negative review. I don't agree with the IGN reviewer that Assetto Corsa or Project CARS are viable alternatives; neither has all the tracks and pCARS has an F1 car circa 2011. Stock Car Extreme or GP4 with track mods or an earlier version of a CM F1 game with fixes from Race Department might be better.

I should be getting my copy on Monday. l thought I would get it as the singleplayer races look very fun.

They are fun indeed. Just make sure you've got flashbacks enabled. I know it's destroying the immersion in some way, but the AI just goes jackass when you're bout to lap them.

Azzawon

Hedrush

Just had an interesting dig around on the internet and found a few employee reviews from their experiences working at Codemasters. They're all pretty negative and point towards the management and CEO being poor and out of touch, leading to a very low employee retention rate.

I'm not really sure where I'm going with this but it does kind of explain why the quality of Codies games have tanked in recent years - link here

I read the first page of reviews, all negative and even mention of the studio closing down. Such a shame, I always liked Codies, you could always rely on them releasing a solid racer.

I've not played the new F1 game, I got put off by all the negatives posted in this thread, if it's not good enough for my fellow gamers, it's not good enough for me. At a guess, I'd say they won't be renewing the F1 licence. If that does happen I wonder who will pick it up as I imagine it's a very expensive licence to get.

Was streaming last night at the Red Bull Ring.

Started P1.

Close first 5 laps then I started to pull away to a 12s lead.

Lap 9 I get a puncture. Fall down to 16th but not too much of a buggy as I was going to pit anyway.

Come out and put down some stormer laps. Get myself up to 5th. Get a puncture.

Pit early and do the same. Battle through the field to 3rd.

Get a puncture. Fuck sake.

Pit and come out again with stormer laps. Push through the field with 10 laps to go, get up to 5th, go to overtake RAI, pass cleanly, he gets DRS clips my rear on the straight, I smash into the barriers, he spins and takes Vettle with him then Crashtor ploughed into me too.

Was like WTF. Don't know what the people watching were thinking!

How limited is the replay/rewind in this game? on last gen consoles most codemasters games would only remember several seconds so if you crashed and waited 10 seconds before rewinding, you could not recover before the crash.

How limited is the replay/rewind in this game? on last gen consoles most codemasters games would only remember several seconds so if you crashed and waited 10 seconds before rewinding, you could not recover before the crash.

The usage is unlimited. However instant replay only lasts 15 seconds (if I'm correct)

EDIT:

YAY! Reached full Member status.

Putty

Because i want to race as Lewis Hamilton over an entire season. Simple

For the record i play DC and PCars, and all 3 together scratch my driving needs.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Online is dead already. Takes ages to get a lobby which has 2-4 people in. Other lobbies like Hardcore rarely load and when they do it has 1 person.

Edit: God this game is a mess online.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Xbox One. I finally got into 3 races.

First race was at USA and within the start someone stops and reverses and instantly wins the race. So everyone else did 1 lap then the race ended. The game who reversed won and had a lap time of 7 seconds or something.

Next race Monza and same group from USA but the one who reversed starts ramming people but once he lost control he waited at the finish line so those who lapped him would get rammed by him.

He tried it on me but I played dummy with him by going to the left and as he went to the left I quickly overtook on the right.

Monaco race was last and god I decided to stay back and let them all through. Coming out the tunnel on lap two and 2 of them have blocked the road so everyone just smashed into them.

I decided to quit. So many are easy to beat but with the dirty driving and cutting corners its so boring.

Azzawon

I decided to quit. So many are easy to beat but with the dirty driving and cutting corners its so boring.
Same situation here, no idea how I managed to stay motivated to finish 50 of the damn things. I either get wiped out trying to work my way through laggy players or just race off into the distance with no competition.

Afraid I'm a bit busy in the next week or so due to uni commitments but I might be able to do a few races if I find the time!

Probably worth noting that I can only find sizable grids in Standard Sprint.

Online is dead already. Takes ages to get a lobby which has 2-4 people in. Other lobbies like Hardcore rarely load and when they do it has 1 person.

Edit: God this game is a mess online.
I had that in Hardcore on launch weekend. At least you can do other things whilst you wait.

They need to make online something special and part of racing instead of lobby sitting, like have you in ghost mode running pratice sessions while people join in and spawn in the pitlane, then after 20 minutes or everyone votes the quali and racing starts.

I'm guessing this game only has a menu lobby system as i'm yet to play it.

Top Bottom