• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2015 |OT| Bernie says "Think before you buy.”

shaki123

Too bad I bought it via a keystore since now I cannot get it refunded. Game is a total mess. Online is seriously fucked up. I think Codemasters will be in some trouble for this. If this fails (which I hope it does) they should be stripped of the license. Then they can go back and continue making arcade racers like Grid and Dirt. Or simply close the studio and do something else. Clearly they are not capable of making a game without glaring issues. What a total joke this company.

A serious license like F1 needs to be treated with care. Everyone deserves a refund for this piece of crap.

danowat

Banned
So between the hyperbole from both sides, I guess this is somewhere in the middle? A solid 7/10?

I don't know what's wrong with this generation, unfinished, buggy games, missing many features that games had from the last gen, but solid at the core.

Is it a hangover from the increased development time of the increase in graphical fidelity?

hamchan

Sounds extremely disappointing.

Steam user reviews also slaughtering this, so I'll probably wait.

Also hooray that Ricciardo made the cover, standing with all those F1 champions and Massa.

Exactly, that game was spot on in every way, yeah career mode was tough but it was brilliant, and graphically it still holds up as well as being 60fps.

Absolutely. The frame rate, as you said, has really helped.

It's just.. I don't know. How long have they had the license, since like 2009 isn't it? How have they managed to not get the presentation right over these past 6 years? Is there any reason for this, it's really not that difficult to just copy the television presentation surely? Just copy the OSD of the timings, the lap times, the fucking font, just copy it! It's such a tiny tiny decal, I realise that, but come on. It would take such minimal effort to get it right.

Too bad I bought it via a keystore since now I cannot get it refunded. Game is a total mess. Online is seriously fucked up. I think Codemasters will be in some trouble for this. If this fails (which I hope it does) they should be stripped of the license. Then they can go back and continue making arcade racers like Grid and Dirt. Or simply close the studio and do something else. Clearly they are not capable of making a game without glaring issues. What a total joke this company.

A serious license like F1 needs to be treated with care. Everyone deserves a refund for this piece of crap.

Calm down.

The F1 team at Codies is the smallest team within the whole company, they are doing solid work for a team of their size. They are reported to all fans of the sport as well. F1 is an incrediblely difficult company to work with, and the developers get incredibly little help making the game - getting little to no specs to work off. Going to a different company won't change much, F1 won't offer much help to them either, and at least now fans are working on the game.

Also, F1 is not a "serious license". It does not have the broad appeal of most other sports, and the crossover of F1/Gamers is tiny compared to FIFA, NBA, NFL.

Also, if F1 as a company could get off their own arse and fix their own product, then the games might have a chance down the line.

Malcolm9

Sounds more like the PC community are more disgruntled with the game from what I've read.

How are the console versions online from anyone who has experienced it so far?

Watto

Neo Member
The F1 team at Codies is the smallest team within the whole company, they are doing solid work for a team of their size. They are reported to all fans of the sport as well. F1 is an incrediblely difficult company to work with, and the developers get incredibly little help making the game - getting little to no specs to work off. Going to a different company won't change much, F1 won't offer much help to them either, and at least now fans are working on the game.

It's their biggest selling product, they need to put more resources towards it.

There are plenty of reasons to blame F1 the sport for the failings of the F1 videogame, but Codemasters made the decision to remove features from the game compared to previous editions.

Also, F1 is not a "serious license". It does not have the broad appeal of most other sports, and the crossover of F1/Gamers is tiny compared to FIFA, NBA, NFL.

Feels like you're plucking facts out of hat here, any stats to back that up?

_machine

So between the hyperbole from both sides, I guess this is somewhere in the middle? A solid 7/10?

I don't know what's wrong with this generation, unfinished, buggy games, missing many features that games had from the last gen, but solid at the core.

Is it a hangover from the increased development time of the increase in graphical fidelity?
I'd wager it has to do with the change in development environment, Codemasters financial problems and losing staff, and the risen costs in development yet the license itself is still very expensive. The transition to PS4/XBO has been extremely though for many multiplatform developers which I think shows here a bit too. On the positive side we should see a much improved product next year, but that hardly helps now.

I'm slightly bummed about the lack of career too; I kinda wanted to pick up the game once it's cheaper (I don't own any of the previous F1 games), but I don't know if there's enough content for me and since my wheel broke I don't if I really want to play it anymore. I've lost a bit of interest in the sports with the last few seasons so I don't know if the license is enough of a pull, even though I really appreciate the atmosphere and "real-life" aspect of it.

There are plenty of reasons to blame F1 the sport for the failings of the F1 videogame, but Codemasters made the decision to remove features from the game compared to previous editions.
True, but with the generational change (as evidenced by the problems in the game and nearly all other multiplatform developers have had, even with multitude of more resource) and the strictness of the license could well have made it nigh impossible to make it in the end. The licensing conditions have known to be rather strict and CM hasn't had that much financing nor staff so I'm certanly not surprised it's very bare-bones.

shaki123

Calm down.

They don't do solid work. Online is unplayable, hundreds of bugs and glitches. I am not only talking about the shamefull release of F1 2015 but about all the other versions as well.

They all had this:

- Terrible netcode, never improved over 6 years
- Pitstop bugs
- Timing bugs

Dude, if they are so small they shouldn't take on the job. It is no excuse. FOA / FIA could have indeed maybe made sure there was a better damage model, but that's it. It's all on Codies. They always deliver half baked products and this isn't the first time. They don't deserve the license, and we don't deserve their untested alpha releases. This game is released in a worse state than Halo: MCC.

You cannot defend this release. It is not working. The product doesn't work. And again, this happened every year. And after a few months they just let the bugs walk around freely in their games and hope their fanbase will accept the same behaviour from them the year after. If you think this is acceptable, then we have a very different opinion about AAA game releases.

The game is not finished, not tested properly. I hope they sort it out or otherwise they should deal with all the negativity surrounding the game and simply pull out of the license. I want my money back.

I run a league on Racedepartment.com and for this moment we have suspended all league activity because of this broken piece of crap. Again, just like last year where league racing was frozen for 2-3 months. Stop defending Codemasters.

Azzawon

Sounds more like the PC community are more disgruntled with the game from what I've read.

How are the console versions online from anyone who has experienced it so far?

The PC version has huge problems from what I've heard. I'm playing on XB1 and haven't encountered many so far, but I will agree in saying that the online needs a lot of work. I've done a few races and most of them end where you're stuck in spectator mode and the game never returns back to the lobby.

what were they thinking with the multiplayer 'hoppers' on this game. totally useless, can barely find a lobby and if I do there's one or two players in it. 2 steps forward and ten back with this game...

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Going to a different company won't change much, F1 won't offer much help to them either, and at least now fans are working on the game.

My biggest concern is that another developer would use the license to make an arcade racer in order to make the game more attractive to a larger audience. Codies have at least always tried to look for a compromise between sim racers and casuals.

Feels like you're plucking facts out of hat here, any stats to back that up?

This is not a fact but it seems more than likley that if you were to create a venn diagram of F1 Fans and Gamers, then the intersection would be much smaller than NFL, Soccer/Football. This is all FIA to blame again. They are doing very little to bring in younger fans, and even pushing away older ones with some decision

Fox Mulder

features are missing because it's a new engine. This often happens to sports games when they jump to a new generation as they have a short dev cycle to build from the ground up. This game also released months earlier than it has before.

It sounds like they focused on the foundation of handling and AI, which seem good. Hopefully they can do some huge patches like Pcars has had to do.

This game also released months earlier than it has before.

I thought actually that the 2014 last gen version was phoned in because they were all working on this, so really it's had a longer developement cycle than normal (skipped 14 and gone straight to 15, hence the inclusion of 2014 season)?

_machine

I thought actually that the 2014 last gen version was phoned in because they were all working on this, so really it's had a longer developement cycle than normal (skipped 14 and gone straight to 15, hence the inclusion of 2014 season)?
Bit simplifying, but yes it's likely that they had some people working on getting EGO working on PS4/XBO, but given that the transition for developers using proprietary tech has been hard, it's no wonder they haven't been able to get the full feature spec with the small amount of staff they have.

Watto

Neo Member
features are missing because it's a new engine. This often happens to sports games when they jump to a new generation as they have a short dev cycle to build from the ground up. This game also released months earlier than it has before.

It sounds like they focused on the foundation of handling and AI, which seem good. Hopefully they can do some huge patches like Pcars has had to do.

I mean honestly, how long would it have taken to enable us to choose how long sessions go on for?

xrnzaaas

I have to say I'm shocked after reading comments posted here at the level of incompetence Codemasters has displayed. Reintroducing things like the pitstop bug is inexcusable even when you're switching to a new engine. And no career mode? What the hell? Normally I'd say I'll wait for the next year's edition, but knowing Codemaster it'll introduce its fair share of bugs and annoying features.

shaki123

There isn't even a lobby list. You are just being randomly thrown into a preset lobby. You cannot choose which available sessions you want to join. Seriously, why would they remove it? I also haven't found a way to make a closed (not public) session. That will be a hard one for league racing.

Fox Mulder

They had to build a new engine, handling model, and new art work assets for 2015 on new consoles to them. 2014 may have been phoned in, but they still had to divert something to it with a new track and car spec that required new audio and handling properties.

It sucks that the game has issues, but licensed sports games with yearly releases tend to have these with reset years like this, as the first entry of the generation.

Drewfonse

Does the game have any sort of tutorial? I have almost no knowledge of F1, including any real strategy regarding fuel or tire types. Will I be in over my head? I don't want to just set everything to be automatically done, but I don't want to be overwhelmed. The game looks really fun, and I don't give a shit about online.

Thoughts?

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Does the game have any sort of tutorial? I have almost no knowledge of F1, including any real strategy regarding fuel or tire types. Will I be in over my head? I don't want to just set everything to be automatically done, but I don't want to be overwhelmed. The game looks really fun, and I don't give a shit about online.

It doesn't have a tutorial per se, but your race engineer is explaining you many things in Championship mode. Even if you ignore it, you can usually just jump into the action and drive. You don't necessarily have to tinkle with car settings and strategy.

Azzawon

Serious question now - I have all assists turned off while I'm racing in the Standard Sprint hopper, but the car is auto-braking around corners. What. the. hell? I can't compete like this.

shaki123

Serious question now - I have all assists turned off while I'm racing in the Standard Sprint hopper, but the car is auto-braking around corners. What. the. hell? I can't compete like this.

It's one of the hundreds of bugs. Restart the game and it should be fine (for a while).

Drewfonse

It doesn't have a tutorial per se, but your race engineer is explaining you many things in Championship mode. Even if you ignore it, you can usually just jump into the action and drive. You don't necessarily have to tinkle with car settings and strategy.

Ok, thanks. I might be able to gradually increase my involvement with the the details, then.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
So the game is running at 1440x1080 rather than 1600x900. I did think it looked a bit clean for it to be 900p. I'll update the OT to reflect this. Will also add in screen and frame rate comparisons.

shaki123

Equal cars are not equal. Somebody on Racedepartment tested it out:

"In a straight line, the Mercedes can do 202-206 MPH. Meanwhile my mate in a Manor could only manage 190 MPH."

Seriously, fuck Codemasters.

sam777

Equal cars are not equal. Somebody on Racedepartment tested it out:

"In a straight line, the Mercedes can do 202-206 MPH. Meanwhile my mate in a Manor could only manage 190 MPH."

Seriously, fuck Codemasters.

Out of curiosity, why would you want them to be equal?

Azzawon

It's one of the hundreds of bugs. Restart the game and it should be fine (for a while).

Thanks, it appears to have worked! (for now) :p

Edit: another bug with the online, I've won several races on track but as soon as we get to the results screen I end up 2nd or 3rd with someone finishing first either with a DNF to their name or a ridiculous 'best time' like 456 minutes or something. Ugh.

shaki123

Thanks, it appears to have worked! (for now) :p

Edit: another bug with the online, I've won several races on track but as soon as we get to the results screen I end up 2nd or 3rd with someone finishing first either with a DNF to their name or a ridiculous 'best time' like 456 minutes or something. Ugh.

The problem with their netcode is a timing issue. Matching timing with the real time positions has always plagued these games. Especially when people outside of your region join the session. The crazy thing is that it has never been as bad as this.

DavidDesu

No other way to say it but Codemasters just aren't quite up to the job.

You'd think by now they'd have been building on what's gone before, yet every year it feels like a refresh, new car models, maybe an extra feature here or there, and now we're going back the way again. They should have a base fundamental game. The handling model and visual style should be locked down by now, not constantly changing year after year chasing different markets (how about offer different handling models for different fans?)...

Also I was always perplexed that they had the license yet they used their own crappy UI for timing etc. Please use the official ones we see on TV. I know F1 is a minefield of licensing issues, but c'mon Codies/FOM, sort it out. It should be an intrinsic part of an F1 game ape-ing the TV form of the sport. I remember the PS1 F1 games did this!

I want to know what I'm getting each year. I rather liked F1 2010, even if it looked awful and performed even worse on PS3, the handling was intrinsically good, and playing with a wheel especially you really got a sense of the tyre wearing dropping, and managing that etc. It was actually, briefly, the most involved I've ever been in a driving game. Shame about terrible AI breaking way too early, but nearly every racing game seems to suffer from this, but still you'd think they could match the player capabilities to give you a more believable experience.

(Edit: When I tried demos of follow up games they'd all changed the handling in different way, sometimes for the better, usually for the worse. I just can't buy in to that. GT/Forza games refine their handling model, but they all follow on and build from what went before, they don't completely muck around with it.)

It's just frustrating seeing them come close and then missing the mark so many times. We should have a game with the current F1 season, and with a variety of classic F1 cars and tracks to muck around with, it should build and add every year, yet all we get is barebones, a different game every year.

Putty

You'd think by now they'd have been building on what's gone before, yet every year it feels like a refresh, new car models, maybe an extra feature here or there, and now we're going back the way again. They should have a base fundamental game. The handling model and visual style should be locked down by now, not constantly changing year after year chasing different markets (how about offer different handling models for different fans?)...

Also I was always perplexed that they had the license yet they used their own crappy UI for timing etc. Please use the official ones we see on TV. I know F1 is a minefield of licensing issues, but c'mon Codies/FOM, sort it out. It should be an intrinsic part of an F1 game ape-ing the TV form of the sport. I remember the PS1 F1 games did this!

I want to know what I'm getting each year. I rather liked F1 2010, even if it looked awful and performed even worse on PS3, the handling was intrinsically good, and playing with a wheel especially you really got a sense of the tyre wearing dropping, and managing that etc. It was actually, briefly, the most involved I've ever been in a driving game. Shame about terrible AI breaking way too early, but nearly every racing game seems to suffer from this, but still you'd think they could match the player capabilities to give you a more believable experience.

It's just frustrating seeing them come close and then missing the mark so many times. We should have a game with the current F1 season, and with a variety of classic F1 cars and tracks to muck around with, it should build and add every year, yet all we get is barebones, a different game every year.

First F1 game i've played since Sony's effort so can't comment on previous codies titles, but the UI they have no just doesn't cut it....You just can't beat the official TV stuff.

Azzawon

Care to name the hundreds of bugs? I was going to pick this up but if it has hundreds of bugs I'll just pass, or is this just hyperbolic nonsense?

It's a slight exaggeration, but seriously. There are LOADS of bugs. I haven't encountered too many yet, however.

Just hit another bug at Austria online: We had a race winner pop up as soon as we set off from the line with the countdown, at the end of the first lap we actually finished the race. Not kidding. This is worse than anything I've ever seen in previous Codies titles.

Out of curiosity, why would you want them to be equal?

In past F1 games they would balance out the cars for multiplayer so the racing was fair, back in f1 2010 depending on the mode it would either set all cars to match the fastest car of the year or keep their real performance info to simulate a championship race.

You know, stuff codies throws out the window because they believe it's not required, like cockpit view in grid 2.

Reading the impressions across various forums and it sounds like F1 2015 is the same old buggy mess with no future hope - it's just sad seeing Codemasters go out like this, if only they had a shot at F1 during the PS2 days :(

Sorry Codemasters, but for my F1 fix the old dog still has two or three seasons left in him yet.

Grand_Prix_4_Coverart.png

gpx_0150bgz0j.jpg

mchondau4ua9.jpg

gpx_0172g3q3q.jpg

banderas.gif

Fox Mulder

(Edit: When I tried demos of follow up games they'd all changed the handling in different way, sometimes for the better, usually for the worse. I just can't buy in to that. GT/Forza games refine their handling model, but they all follow on and build from what went before, they don't completely muck around with it.)

This is the first game on a new engine. Even with issues and no depth, people seem to generally be happy with the handling and AI. They've built a solid foundation that can be patched and built on going forward with more features. Hopefully.

I have fun with Forza and Project Cars even though they also have poor, shallow career modes, I just need a good racing model. I liked the classic stuff in 2013, but some people bitched about it and they ended up scrapping it for 2014 for a couple of reasons.

In past F1 games they would balance out the cars for multiplayer so the racing was fair, back in f1 2010 depending on the mode it would either set all cars to match the fastest car of the year or keep their real performance info to simulate a championship race.

You know, stuff codies throws out the window because they believe it's not required, like cockpit view in grid 2.

They cut cockpits because it takes resources to model them and they had stats showing a something like 5% of their audience even used them.

He's basically ranting 'bout all the people saying things like "This game is totally unplayable" and "If you know CM you'll know they won't patch anything"

Hedrush

He's basically ranting 'bout all the people saying things like "This game is totally unplayable" and "If you know CM you'll know they won't patch anything"

Ah ok gotcha.

I've played the bugfest that is Project Cars and still had fun even after 2 patches that fixed the square root of fuck all so I think I could look past all the "hundreds" of F1 2015 bugs and glitches and enjoy the game for what it is, the actual racing. That in itself seems to be getting praised in here and in various reviews and it's only the bells and whistles people/reviewers seem to be complaining about.

Branson

Ah ok gotcha.

I've played the bugfest that is Project Cars and still had fun even after 2 patches that fixed the square root of fuck all so I think I could look past all the "hundreds" of F1 2015 bugs and glitches and enjoy the game for what it is, the actual racing. That in itself seems to be getting praised in here and in various reviews and it's only the bells and whistles people/reviewers seem to be complaining about.
The thing is (on PC anyway) there are already a couple of games that do racing just as good or better as this one. It's a hard sell for people like myself.

dakun

Exactly my thoughts ;) (Only in German though)

https://youtu.be/rGB2FS8_0Mc

only half way through the video but, yeah i feel the same way.

For the non-Germans.. basically a guy who is sarcastic about the way Codemasters brings out their games taking on the people who buy them expecting a game without bugs when Codemasters has always been releasing games and fixing them post-release. Basically making fun of the way people behave barely a day after release.

Top Bottom