• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2015 |OT| Bernie says "Think before you buy.”

It's very easy to spin on pad with no TC. Even on medium it's still possible, especially with tyre wear at the end of their lifecycle.

The camera above the helmet is the perfect angle for me.

All the wind noise from when you're in the cockpit is annoying.

We should get some ID's shared so we can have GAF races!

PSN - Souldestroyer199

Ason

It's very easy to spin on pad with no TC. Even on medium it's still possible, especially with tyre wear at the end of their lifecycle.

This.

I play on Xbox One, with controller, switch between traction on medium and off, you can definatly spin, and it is quite easy to do so.

People who say you can't spin out probobly play with full traction on, and/or are doing Time Trials or Qualifying where tire wear are at optimal condition.

It's impossible to spin for me (Controller - No Assists)

I can feel the power kick in, but countering it with short shifting in gears 2-4 (never ever use gear 1 if it's not at the start) makes it impossible. If they'd done it right I'd lack top speed at the end, but that's not there either.

'd love some GAF races though. PM me for PSN ID.

Putty

Initial impressions are very good! When driving visually it looks great, 60fps for the most, tearing rears its head, nothing drastic. There's a softness to the image which some mightn't like but but the upside is that the IQ is pretty clear of any jaggies. I think I spot some motion blur aswell? Side mirror detail is very low and runs at i'd say 30fps, maybe less but at least you can see what you need to. Outside of the car everything's a bit stiff, janky...the faces are rather rooted in last gen, better faces would do wonders....Sparks from the cars look fantastic, especially when you've got loads of cars in front. It's a pity CM couldn't use the official overlay GFX as I think it's inclusion would of ramped the authenticity level up a notch. I went straight in at the deep end so everything is basically off control wise, though I'll now be tweaking some things lol 8) Driving feels very nice indeed, very rewarding....and I'm happy to say my fears are somewhat eased when going over kerbs, you defo feel them and visually there is a certain amount of visual vibration, it's soft but noticeable non the less. They defo need to tweak the boundaries of when a penalty might be awarded though.

These thought are after literally only 10 mins,

Jibbed

Wait.

Hang on a second.

Hold the phone.

You mean to tell me that I can't create my own driver, choose a helmet, and work my way up the pack like the last 5 F1 games.. ? There is no career mode whatsoever?

Right.

sam777

Wait.

Hang on a second.

Hold the phone.

You mean to tell me that I can't create my own driver, choose a helmet, and work my way up the pack like the last 5 F1 games.. ? There is no career mode whatsoever?

Right.

Nope, no career mode like that what so ever.

sam777

Okay people who have this and Project Cars, if I could get one car game, which should I go for as I love F1 but I am sceptical of this due to some obvious missing features and I know PC has a F1 career type of thing in the game.

Jibbed

Okay people who have this and Project Cars, if I could get one car game, which should I go for as I love F1 but I am sceptical of this due to some obvious missing features and I know PC has a F1 career type of thing in the game.

If you want an F1 game then just get it. In all fairness, I probably will too when it comes down in price. pCARS isn't much better career-wise. Unless GT and touring car racing is your thing, you aren't missing much. The online communities for both of those are great though.

Formula A in pCARS is OK I guess.

Edit: I should elaborate on the pCARS career stuff.. you can either work your way up to FA from FC (think Forumula 3) or Formula Ford etc, or just jump straight in to Formula A and mess around with that. There's not a huge amount of structure, more like a 'ladder' of motorsports which you have complete freedom over to choose from. One of its biggest flaws is the AI IMO which is absolutely terrible. So it's not very fun on your own.

Edit 2: I'm actually hoping A: this is half decent, and B: a few GAFfers buy it so we can revive the old league. The '11 one was sick.

sam777

If you want an F1 game then just get it. In all fairness, I probably will too when it comes down in price. pCARS isn't much better career-wise. Unless GT and touring car racing is your thing, you aren't missing much. The online communities for both of those are great though.

Formula A in pCARS is OK I guess.

Edit: I should elaborate on the pCARS career stuff.. you can either work your way up to FA from FC (think Forumula 3) or Formula Ford etc, or just jump straight in to Formula A and mess around with that. There's not a huge amount of structure, more like a 'ladder' of motorsports which you have complete freedom over to choose from. One of its biggest flaws is the AI IMO which is absolutely terrible. So it's not very fun on your own.

Edit 2: I'm actually hoping A: this is half decent, and B: a few GAFfers buy it so we can revive the old league. The '11 one was sick.

Thanks, I will probably just get this then, although like you say I will also wait for a price drop.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Game makes me ponder buying a TS300rs...

Only problem is that I know I am too lazy to set it up every time I want to play a racing game. I sold my G27 (and my Wheel Stand Pro) when it turned out to incompatible to next-gen consoles. I ain't even mad, I often times prefer the controller. Getting out the Wheel Stand Pro, setting it up, getting stuff out of the way to make room for it, plugging it in to power and console, adjusting it several times to get comfortable again, putting it back in storage after playing, etc... Sometimes it is just too cumbersome, especially when you just want to get a quick racing fix. A controller is way more comfortable.

A dedicated racing rig would be the ultimate solution, but that only makes sense for gamers with serious dedication. And space. No way I am putting such a thing in my living room.

Fox Mulder

If you want a f1 game just get this. Pcars has f1 stuff with formula a, but it's a poor sustitute really.

There's no safety car, debris from cars and tire walls stay on track the whole race, AI doesn't get blue flags while you do, and the pitting sucks. The career mode has tiers to climb, but all you get are a couple of email contracts to pick from in each tier after a season. All teams apear to be equal, so it's not like you can earn a better seat either.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Had an awesome race at Canada 2014. Started 22nd and came 1st. I went with Prime for the first 2/3's of the race with Lean fuel and managed to go into 5th with 10 laps remaining. Pitted for Options and hit the fuel to Rich and then hammered each lap into the 1:15's and getting first. Felt good. Also had a similar race at Monaco but missed catching Rosbery by 800ths to the flag.

Some more screens from my season races.

hnd82O.jpg
UPvpMM.jpg
CDBqOi.jpg

Jeez that was intense!

Mexican GP playing as Dan "Honey Badger" Ricciardo. Had a horrible Qualifying session (out in Q1 on P16), but the race made it all up. Chose to take a different approach for the strategy (Prime-Option-Prime) instead of the recommended one (Option-Option-Prime-Option). Had an OK first stint with some racing (lost 3 places at the start but fought my way back up), ending up in 11th (some cars pitted due to their Option tyres) just before my first stop. Hülkenberg was all racy then, but I took him cleanly into Turn 11. Wouldn't have been possible in previous iterations! I then caught up on some other cars, passing them one after another. Came 6th in the end, owing to one less pit stop. But I was quite struggling in the end, as I had to fight off low fueled cars on options while I was using Primes. (Lost 16 seconds to Raikkönen in just 6 laps time)

Button even got a 5-second penalty for ignoring blue flags ^^

Right now I've got to say this is the best F1 game I have played. Well, despite one bug I'll upload some screens of tomorrow.

Couple of issues which are annoying me - The fact you can't alter your set up before online races, I just seem to appear on the grid with the only option to load previous set ups you've saved.. If you haven't saved any, tough shit.

Also, what's the deal with resuming gameplay after a flash back? Before you'd have a bit of a countdown or at least a visual que to prepare you.. On this it's just BOOM and you're back in the race.

Putty

Put some laps in in Melbourne with the DS4 controller (no assists except traction control on medium and ABS on). Feels pretty good! Compared to the last F1 game from Codemasters I played the car and the steerings feels heavier, which I like.

/edit: Some further observations.

- On the PS4 the graphics are serviceable.
- Framerate is stable in cockpit/TV pod view on the tracks I've tested so far. However, there is at times slight judder in chase cam view.
- There is mild tearing.
- AA is good. There is virtually no pixel shimmering. The employed AA solution seems to blur the image quite a bit. But that looks fine at high speeds.
- Tyres do indeed lock up under braking, but the smoke effect is very, very subtle. It's only really visible in chase cam view.
- The sound is great.

I've been doing alot of testing with assists. So i've happily settle on TC set to full with everything else off 8) The driving feels really fabulous! As far as difficulty levels go i've just whacked it on Hard until i get fully used to it, and if i get to be considerably faster than the rest then i'll whack it up...

If this game is anything to go by, and assumng they dont tinker with the actual driving, F12016 "should" be quite something! Yes the argument exists regarding ommisions like safety car, and free reign over options but i'm more than happy with everything else.

First post, Be Gentle

Game is, well, OK. Think you will enjoy it more as a F1 fan than a driving fan as such as the lack of features and options is a slight kick in the teeth despite it being, as others have said, par for the course on many 'New-Gen' titles being released in their first iteration. More polish needed for 2016 and, much Like FIFA, will be the main focus I'm sure for CM.

Graphically, on PS4 at least, It's pretty. Not overwhelming, but nice. Great use of shading and lighting and the atmosphere is there. Colours don't really 'pop' and are a more of a pastel shade at times but it doesn't take away from the looks.

Sounds are good and authentic including nice touches like hearing the rain bounce off the garage roof while in parc-ferme and other background engine noises coming over the team radio. Anthony Davidson and David Croft couldnt be MORE scripted if they tried. Really adds nothing to the presentation at all (Think Early WWE/F games)

I've been playing strictly with a DS4 and the steering is the best of a fairly good bunch of games. You can (Seemingly) notice when tyres get to temperature and likewise, when they drop off the cliff you will struggle to get traction coming off corners. I have traction control and ABS on medium, and spinning off the track is a real possibility, especially towards the end of tyre life. Driving in the wet is a different game altogether, real attention will be needed on strategy and tyre choice/Aero choices as they will make a noticable difference during a race. Finally, some depth to a race day. AI Drivers are smart this year and there seems to be a 'Fairer' feel to driving as the mad scramble for corners where everyone plows into each other, damage and penalty free, for position seems to be replaced by drivers that will hang back and avoid a collision

Not all good news as expected though. In my opinion there are 5 main issues from me that drag the game down slightly.

*The 'TV Presentation' isn't all its cracked up to be. No more in-depth than many sports titles and, as before, might as well have Davidson and Croft on mute.

*Very few Retirements in a single race. In 6 Races I only saw 2-3 retirements

*Likewise, Penalties. So far seen 2 in Quali and that's it.

*Corners might as well not be there as you can go off the track and not really be penalised in any way, shape or form.

*No Safety Car/VSC (Not a massive issue, but would top the immersion off nicely)

Had a real F1 moment when. leading by 5 seconds with 6 laps to go, my tyres went off. Had to make a choice to go hell for leather and risk it, Lift and coast to stay on the track, or risk a pit and hope to make up the time with fresh tyres. Stayed out, played it cautious, upped the fuel mix and got caught by Rosberg after back and forth battle through Yas Marina with a few corners left, but I felt part of F1 for a few seconds, I believed it and gave me that feeling when you snap out of life for a few seconds and get involved rather then 'playing a game'. F1 does that and its great

That's my 2p worth after 2-3 hours on it. Not a bad game at all, Immersive enough to please F1 fans and casual driving fans but Hardcore fans looking for a full driving experience might feel let down, but that's purely down to a lack of features and polish, certainly not through the driving experience.

Now that I've spent more time with the game I have to say the driving feels sublime.

The tyres drop off the more you use them, changing fuel mix actually makes a difference, adjusting the set up changes the feel of the car.

I will say though that I feel the car is more responsive in cockpit view than chase view.

Putty

engine blowouts look spectacular! Kimi was 1 sec ahead then BOOM! SSOO good! I turned ABS on in the end, will turn it back off when i get better at the game.....It feels so good. I'm on Hard difficulty. Im faster by quite a bit, but you really have to be 100% on it and consistent fore the entire race......

stryke

So 900p for X1 and 1080p for PS4?
Is this the main difference visually?

They changed from 900p to 1080pr (~1344 x 1080). That's counting from 1 pic though, it could be dynamic but a cursory look at other pics doesn't seem to suggest so.

dakun

Can anyone confirm if flashbacks are unlimited on harder difficulties too if you set it to on?
Really like the game so far. Racing feels awesome. Gotta get used to the racemenu navigation on the DFGT though.
Some features are missing but the it has a better baseline than previous games imo.
Best addition is that you can follow other drivers at all times during replays and in the box

I'd like to know something quite specific. When you say there's no safety ca.. Nevermind it's been answered I'm blind.

Thank you for the impressions :}

I still haven't read anything about voice commands.

Here you go bud!

Voice commands work pretty well. But some of them (e.g. "Pit this lap") are kinda useless, as you can just come in and your pit crew will be ready when you arrive. Though some commands seem to work better than others. I, for instance, had to repeat "Full race update" multiple times for my engineer to catch it, but "Driver in front" or "Driver behind" worked on first try every time.

It's more of a gimmick feature though, at least when having all the HUD elements turned on. The only improvement I could think of right now would be for the engineer to tell you your expected place on the track and gap to the car then driving in front of you by the command "Inform Pit Window". Would make it easier to under/overcut pit stops in order to get some clean air.

Put a few hours into this this morning (PS4 with T300) and I have to say I really enjoyed it! Looks pretty enough, runs well enough, racing seems good - overall I think its very solid.

Career mode doesn't bother me at all personally, I always prefer the play a season as a real driver idea anyway. Same with online, not personally bothered as a barely race on the net.

My wish list would just be: -

1) Little more feedback/force around wheel centre, seems a little dead right now.
2) Louder engine noise for my car, I'd like to hear it

Put a few hours into this this morning (PS4 with T300) and I have to say I really enjoyed it! Looks pretty enough, runs well enough, racing seems good - overall I think its very solid.

Career mode doesn't bother me at all personally, I always prefer the play a season as a real driver idea anyway. Same with online, not personally bothered as a barely race on the net.

My wish list would just be: -

1) Little more feedback/force around wheel centre, seems a little dead right now.
2) Louder engine noise for my car, I'd like to hear it

The second "issue" can be fixed by utilizing the game's audio options I think.

The second "issue" can be fixed by utilizing the game's audio options I think.

I found an option for engine noise but it barely touched it, if anything just made other cars sound louder! Might have a play with my sound bar setup later, maybe I can tweak something in the modes there.

shaki123

How come nobody here is talking about the fact that this game is a fucking glitchfest and that the online is completely broken? One look at the Communityhub on Steam or CM's forums says enough.

I was looking forward to it, like every year. But the game is simply not ready for release. Online is completely broken. You get kicked out of sessions constantly. People lagging all over the place.

Netcode has always been absolutely terrible for these games but this is simply another level.

For those who don't believe me, watch this or many of the other video's on Youtube. Game is not QA-ed or tested well enough to be released. As a fan, this hurts.

How come nobody here is talking about the fact that this game is a fucking glitchfest and that the online is completely broken? One look at the Communityhub on Steam or CM's forums says enough.

I was looking forward to it, like every year. But the game is simply not ready for release. Online is completely broken. You get kicked out of sessions constantly. People lagging all over the place.

Netcode has always been absolutely terrible for these games but this is simply another level.

For those who don't believe me, watch this or many of the other video's on Youtube. Game is not QA-ed or tested well enough to be released. As a fan, this hurts.
Was posted in another thread.

And you can bet those issues were found, just ignored. That's how QA works. They raise a load of issues and then the devs resolve a few then managers go 'oh we ran out of time, let's ship anyway'.

Malcolm9

It'll probably be patched like most of the games this gen, it's pretty expected for a game not to be fully optimised on release these days.

shaki123

It'll probably be patched like most of the games this gen, it's pretty expected for a game not to be fully optimised on release these days.

Brother, Codemaster's F1 games have never been patched in a positive way. Last year the game was unplayable online for at least 2 months because of the FPS bug. After they patched that out they introduced a new bug.

When starting a race after Qualifying you could pick whatever tire you want. It was never patched out. Totally game breaking, but yeah let's not patch it. They simply don't deserve the license, and we as fans for sure deserve much better. Bugs have always been there and it's only getting worse. This is the worst release of them all. Nobody has had a good "online" experience on PC. Nobody.

This is like 20 times worse than Halo: MCC. And that says a lot.

Malcolm9

Brother, Codemaster's F1 games have never been patched in a positive way. Last year the game was unplayable online for at least 2 months because of the FPS bug. After they patched that out they introduced a new bug.

When starting a race after Qualifying you could pick whatever tire you want. It was never patched out. Totally game breaking, but yeah let's not patch it. They simply don't deserve the license, and we as fans for sure deserve much better. Bugs have always been there and it's only getting worse. This is the worst release of them all. Nobody has had a good "online" experience on PC. Nobody.

This is like 20 times worse than Halo: MCC. And that says a lot.

I hear you, Codemasters have never been great in that respect, but here is hoping. I'll look into picking up if it does improve, if not I'll wait until next years version.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Last 2 races have been brilliant and I love how hard I can push the cars and the improved A.I.

Got to Austria and got 2nd in qualifying but come race day it was chucking down with rain so needed to use full wets. 80% of the race was me and Rosberg battling for 1st. Three laps in the there was a huge crash in the middle so that allowed me and Rosberg to pull away from the pack.

Rosberg came in too early to change onto Intermediates which allowed me to put in some quicker times on the Wets. I came in 3 laps later for Intermediates and on the pit exit I was neck and neck with Rosberg up the hilly straight. I eventually pulled away since I had some excess fuel to that was set to Rich and won the race.

Next race was Silverstone which is a track I love and hate. Qualifying put me into 3rd place and the first 4 laps I stuck with the top 2 who were Ricciardo and Rosberg. Eventually Ricciardo went for the undertake at the turn before DRS zone and clipped Rosberg into the gravel. This allowed me to get into 1st and put Rosberg into 8th place. Beginning of lap 6 I'm informed Rosberg has a punture but just before he set a new fast lap so I check the replay and he blew his front left seconds after lap 5 was complete meaning he had to drive round the whole track with a flat lol.

With Rosberg and Ricciardo out the way I had Raikkonen to deal with who was 11 seconds behind. I decided to pit for Options since the Primes were giving me a hard time. I pitted and came out into 3rd with Raikkonen and Massa in front. 4 laps remaining and I was 3 seconds quicker than Raikkonen and Massa. I'm really putting in the speed and the help of some back markers and DRS that I was catching them.

Final lap and I can see them in the distance but Maldonado got in my way which caused me to swerve and lose time. 3 corners left to the final lap and I've caught up then to the final bend I pulled off a daring move on Massa which put me into 2nd then into the final straight I went for Raikkonen but he crossed the line with me behind in the 1000ths of a second.

If Maldonado didn't hold me up I reckon 1st place would have been mine. But success was Rosberg getting 0 points and allowing me to pull away from him in the championship.

And now onto Germany which is one of my favorite tracks.

Also Chilton crashing on the straight at Canada lol.

O7RzPQb.gif

Malcolm9

Looks great!

It's funny how on last gen F1 Championship Edition on the PS3 was marked down for being to hard to get into in the career mode, where you had to meet objectives and test drive before you were offered a place in a team.

Now we have exactly the opposite this gen and it's marked down for it, funny how priorities change.

Looking at that game back then it was fantastic, so sad to know Studio Liverpool aren't about anymore.

Never encountered any Lag or glitches in 2 hours of online play (PS4).

This is the only strange thing that happened to me in an offline race after a pit stop.

kQXTyju.jpg

bOfwOb4.jpg

kharma45

Typical shitty Codemasters. I'm glad I've not bought an F1 game since that abomination that was F1 2012.

Never ceases to amaze me looking back at F1 Championship Edition. It's almost infuriating. They got the presentation right, just like the broadcast at the time, little things like the formation lap, etc. Fuck sake man, come on Codemasters. It's been how many years since they've had the license now?

Malcolm9

Never ceases to amaze me looking back at F1 Championship Edition. It's almost infuriating. They got the presentation right, just like the broadcast at the time, little things like the formation lap, etc. Fuck sake man, come on Codemasters. It's been how many years since they've had the license now?

Exactly, that game was spot on in every way, yeah career mode was tough but it was brilliant, and graphically it still holds up as well as being 60fps.

Spookie

Never encountered any Lag or glitches in 2 hours of online play (PS4).

This is the only strange thing that happened to me in an offline race after a pit stop.

Codemasters working with Slightly Mad to make this piece of shit then?

Top Bottom