• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fable 2 secrets: a pet dog, you can be pregnant

Bildi

PorscheThunder said:
My opinion on marriage and pregnancy in Fable 2.
image-1.gif
image-1.gif
image-1.gif
image-1.gif

monakedhoes.gif

Quazar

I'm liking what I'm hearing. The dog has much more importance than I was thinking. Peter seems to have some nice ideas for this game, cant wait to hear the others.

Bildi said:

****ing great. :lol :lol

Bildi

shidoshi said:
You've never seen a Steve Jobs keynote, have you? We mere humans can't comprehend the fully glory and wonder of Apple products until Steve has fully explained said glory and wonder to us. Then, we wonder how we ever lived without such a thing, and hate ourselves for not having one yet.

Steve Jobs is a bit different I think. He pulls out the cool gadget and you go "oo-er" and then he tells you it's awesome. And you're immediately thinking 'f*ck, that is awesome'.

Peter kind of apologises in advance that it probably won't look awesome at first glance and everyone has told him that but rest assured he hopefully can convince you it will be awesome.

They're both passionate about their products but the approach is different - Steve Jobs has all the right ingredients to pull off what he does at a keynote. I think Peter should let his games do the talking.

Kobold

half-wit retard monkey's ass
BruceLeeRoy said:
I refuse to get excited for this game unti its out. I bought a Xbox for Fable 1 based on Peter and it competely dissappointed me.

While I say you have paid a cheap price to learn a valuable lesson. :)

Look at all those people going to war and dying to look for supposed weapons of mass destruction, because a certain clown president said so, eh? In that perspective, you paid close to nothing to learn a lot!

Kobold said:
While I say you have paid a cheap price to learn a valuable lesson. :)

Look at all those people going to war and dying to look for supposed weapons of mass destruction, because a certain clown president said so, eh? In that perspective, you paid close to nothing to learn a lot!

Games

I hate George Bush

Games

See, it's on topic!

pj

Banned
I am pumped.

With the way Peter Molyneux talks, he could probably sell me a dora the explorer gta clone

Xevren

Sex and having kids, how awesome. Wonder if you can have sex with the kids just for the purpose of raising an army of flipper babies.

FrankT

Wow I'm so impressed by that GDC footage, although I could do without the creepy gamespot music in the background.

pj

Banned
jet1911 said:
The music playing in the Gamespot is so annoying....

BLEEP BLOOP BLEEDEEDY DOOP DEE DOOP BLEE DOODY DEEP
so we've got this really awesome feature, you will feel love
and you can get your wife pregnant
and if you play as a woman you will be able to get pregnant
and look at how bad you feel for walking away from your injured dog, who will follow you to the other side of the world

Why the **** did they play it the ENTIRE time?

Kobold

half-wit retard monkey's ass
Open Source said:
Games

I hate George Bush

Games

See, it's on topic!

I don't hate anyone, just illustrating that he listened to Peter Molyneux's madly enthoused ravings at the time and it got him feeling miffed. Taught him to think for himself next time and do some investigation first before jumping the fence. Valuable stuff I'd say. :) Everyone does it (getting caught up in the hype)...

Good thing is, Molyneux learned something as well, and is applying it pretty well for his standards I think! Still extravagant and dramatic, but also more restrained. Seemed at X06, and now in the video, it's quite an effort for him. :D

And yeah, the music in that video, argh!!

bengraven

Loved it, loved it. Loved the new, improved Bowerstone! Very cool.

BUT

Serious, the "outside world" sections look exactly like Fable 2. Not graphically: it looks beautiful. But it also looks like a bunch of pretty hallways stitched together still.

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
wow the dog interactions, animations and all look fantastic - i can't wait to try that out

had a couple of "aww" moments just from the presentation. Gotta love peter m. vision - and he is pretty humble knowing how people react to him

Sean

Banned
That was really neat.

I liked the bit about the tester throwing the dog's ball off a 200 foot cliff and making him go running after it to his doom :lol too bad they gave the dog smarter AI since then, that would've been a lot of fun.

Some cool things in the demo:
- The dog is customizable, each person can have their own

- If there are a group of three enemies and two of them have a sword and one has a gun (and if you have your sword out) the dog will attack the gun enemy since it's more dangerous to you. If you have your gun out, the dog will attack the melee enemies and stop them from running after you.

- When aiming the gun it switches to the over the shoulder camera like Gears of War, RE4, Splinter Cell, etc.

g23

European pre-madonna
OMG that gamespot interview is really freaky! So friggin comical, especially with that damn music! LMAO

:lol I like how early in the video he says he doesn't want to over hype the game again, and then later he says, "Fable 2 will make you feel emotions that you've never felt before."

Kevar said:
According to IGN..

Peter says the dog dies in the story at some point.

Dude can't keep his mouth shut.
When he started mentioning plot points in FF7 that was the first thing to pop in my head.

Damn you Peter! Don't you dare kill my pet in some cliche plot twist!

Tieno

m0dus said:
even for early code, that looks awesome, and the dog's animation is AMAZINGLY lifelike!
Yeah, it's still raw and unpolished but I like the design and color when they go more into the forest. It's very different from other RPGs.

I think Peter looked at the what Team ICO did with ICO and SOTC and it's going to be interesting to see if they manage to pull of that 'bond' with an NPC. No surprise that at the beginning he mentions ICO as an example of a powerful ending.

Kevar said:
According to IGN..

Peter says the dog dies in the story at some point.

Dude can't keep his mouth shut.

Not too surprising...

I believe back in Project Ego/early Fable 1 your character was supposed to come home and find the dog nailed to the door.

SamVT

No Hero is complete without his own unique Hero Title, the nickname by which everyone across Albion will come to know you, that could one day become immortalized in legend! But which one will you choose?

WE GOT A FABLE 2 COMMUNITY COMPETITION GOING!

Frakking hell I am tired. Why oh why?

Anyway - if you're interested in Fable 2 and would like to have some input in the game, then have a look here.

Lionhead Fable 2 Team wants your input! :)

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Molyneux is that kid who tells everyone how awesome his birthday party is going to be at his amazing home, but when you get there you realize he lives in a trailer and all that's inside is his mother giving a hand job to a dog.

PleoMax

Banned
RevenantKioku said:
Molyneux is that kid who tells everyone how awesome his birthday party is going to be at his amazing home, but when you get there you realize he lives in a trailer and all that's inside is his mother giving a hand job to a dog.

shiiiiit

Manp

RevenantKioku said:

you must have been to some really weird birthday parties

:)

PleoMax

Banned
Here's what...can your dog get pregnant? Or get other dogs pregnant? And then you could have puppies, put them in a bag and trow them to the sharks!!! ARRHHH

I must've missed this little tidbit from IGN's preview:

Aside from adding to Albion's population, you can invest in real estate. For Fable 2 you can purchase any land you see in the game, be it chicken shack or swamp castle. If you want, you can be the pauper hero, a wandering monk with nothing but his sword to his name. Rush through the game if that's how you get your kicks and you can beat it in about 12 hours by Molyneux's estimations.

Wtf? That's no longer than Fable 1, which was stupidly short. Sounds like they're going to rely on buying houses and other ancillary crap to pad the length of the game.

Hunahan

Banned
Confidence Man said:
Rush through the game if that's how you get your kicks and you can beat it in about 12 hours by Molyneux's estimations.
Wtf? That's no longer than Fable 1, which was stupidly short. Sounds like they're going to rely on buying houses and other ancillary crap to pad the length of the game.

Oof. Kick in the gut.

The dog seems great, the idea of pregnancy and giving birth sounds great, but the number one thing that makes you attached to things in RPGs is time. He talks about Aeris in Final Fantasy 7, but the thing that drove home Aeris' death was playing the rest of the game without her. She was notably absent for dozens of hours of the game. If it had just happened an hour before the ending, it wouldn't have had the same impact.

I find it difficult to believe Fable 2 will actually be successful at making you care about much of anything with the zippy pacing of the first game returning. So, what....you'll have a kid, they'll welcome you home, then an hour later the game ends? That won't work.

At least this time we can all have a head's up so we don't blow 60 bucks on miscommunication of the word "RPG."
I guess I'll just give it a rent. What a shame.

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
Hunahan said:
Oof. Kick in the gut.

The dog seems great, the idea of pregnancy and giving birth sounds great, but the number one thing that makes you attached to things in RPGs is time. He talks about Aeris in Final Fantasy 7, but the thing that drove home Aeris' death was playing the rest of the game without her. She was notably absent for dozens of hours of the game. If it had just happened an hour before the ending, it wouldn't have had the same impact.

I find it difficult to believe Fable 2 will actually be successful at making you care about much of anything with the zippy pacing of the first game returning. So, what....you'll have a kid, they'll welcome you home, then an hour later the game ends? That won't work.

At least this time we can all have a head's up so we don't blow 60 bucks on miscommunication of the word "RPG."
I guess I'll just give it a rent. What a shame.

wow there are so many problems in this post.

1) When did length become the determination of whether or not something was an RPG?
2) If you rushed through most RPG's you would cut the compeltion time down by at least half. For example Oblivion, the game wasn't about how quick you could finish the story elements but playing in the world, building your character, taking your time exploring, owning a house etc... - similar to fable.
3) The game won't end unless you want it to, similar to most RPG's you can do side quests, become mayor, own entire cities, play with your dog, have kids, do anything till you feel like finishing the game.
4) Playing through Fable multiple times was part of its replayability factor, the focus wasn't just what happens at the end, it was developing your character(good and evil) and playing in the world. Replaying Fable was fun compared to most RPG's where its just a chore.
5) There is a HUGE difference between amount of time it takes to finish a game and the amount of content a game offers.

GhaleonEB

Confidence Man said:

Are you kidding? I explored every nook and cranny of Fable and beat it in 10 hours. My second game was a rush-through and it took less than half that.

It all depends on the mission structure and how much optional content there is. You could rush through Oblivion's main quest in a few hours if so inclined, but that doesn't mean you beat it.

My big concern with the game is simply the openness and freedom to explore. I want a big open land without loads, optional quests, and how about a dungeon this time? That one cave with five rooms does not count. Fable had so many wonderful elements, I really really hope this one retains and expands on all the good stuff and fixes the problems.

Edit: what GashPrex said. :lol

Are you really comparing Oblivion to Fable? Yeah, you could get through Oblivion's main quest in a short amount of time, but there are four other guilds with their own storylines, a hundred or so sidequests, and tons of dungeons to explore just for the hell of it. Fable had nothing like that. Outside of it's short main story all you could really do was screw around a little in the towns.

GhaleonEB

Confidence Man said:
Are you really comparing Oblivion to Fable? Yeah, you could get through Oblivion's main quest in a short amount of time, but there are four other guilds with their own storylines, a hundred or so sidequests, and tons of dungeons to explore just for the hell of it. Fable had nothing like that. Outside of it's short main story all you could really do was screw around a little in the towns.
I was not comparing Oblivion to Fable. I was talking about Fable 2 and Peter's statement that you can sprint through it in 12 hours. Without more knowledge of the scope of the side quests and the degree of exploration, that statement in and of itself is not useful. I was using Oblivion as an extreme illustration that without the right information, you could make incorrect assumptions. In other words, I'll wait to be concerned with Fable's length until I know more about the game design. If it's narrow roads ala Fable, then we have a conversation.

GhaleonEB said:
I was not comparing Oblivion to Fable. I was talking about Fable 2 and Peter's statement that you can sprint through it in 12 hours. Without more knowledge of the scope of the side quests and the degree of exploration, that statement in and of itself is not useful. I was using Oblivion as an extreme illustration that without the right information, you could make incorrect assumptions. In other words, I'll wait to be concerned with Fable's length until I know more about the game design. If it's narrow roads ala Fable, then we have a conversation.

I think knowing the kind of game Fable was, it's time to be concerned when Molyneux says '12 hours'.

GhaleonEB

Confidence Man said:
I think knowing the kind of game Fable was, it's time to be concerned when Molyneux says '12 hours'.
It all depends on what kind of game Fable 2 is, though. One of the main things I play RPGs for is the exploration and sense of discovery. If Fable 2 is anywhere near as limited as Fable in this area, then I'm not interested. I want this game to be good - I liked so much of what Fable was about, but the exploration/openness/sidequests limitations killed it for me. You could say I'm very causiously optimistic.

Top Bottom